Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Vital Signs posted:

Defense? I play wing. By sitting at around center Ice I draw the D back to create more space for the center to catch a break out pass, or to get the stretch pass. This is a pretty common tactic for breakouts.

Also it just gets way too crowded if you come all the way back, plus it's not my job to stop shots from the point, isn't that what a goalie is for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Tochiazuma posted:

Also it just gets way too crowded if you come all the way back, plus it's not my job to stop shots from the point, isn't that what a goalie is for?
Yeah I mean, if there are 10 guys on a third of the ice, how is anyone suppose to have room to do anything? Is it really that much to ask for the goalie to stop a point shot?

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Playing below your own blue line as a winger is for tryhards.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Vital Signs posted:

If there are 10 guys on a third of the ice, how is anyone suppose to have room to do anything?

get good at sick danglez bro

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Vital Signs posted:

Haha, I love how no one can tell the difference between what's a joke and what's not. Good stuff.
should.

The problem is that everyone who plays hockey actually knows people like this.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Verman posted:

get good at sick danglez bro
I thought it was a tinted visor I was missing?

Habibi posted:

The problem is that everyone who plays hockey actually knows people like this.
Oh for sure. The only real part to the story was that I actually did have a breakaway and tried that move. Guys on my team had seen me do it in scrimmages and urged me to try it, but I was never comfortable enough to try it in a game. Went for it and paid the price of post created sadness.

Good point coverage and stick work is key for a winger. I think well timed stick lifts lead to breakaways and 2 on 1's, and frustrate the hell out of the d.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.
I know everyone is having fun with cherrypicking wingers, but there is nothing quite as awesome as winning a faceoff in your zone, having the weak side winger immediately sprint up the boards while the defense heads behind the net and lays a perfect pass to that winger around center ice.

As a goalie, I get to watch those develop and when the timing works, it's beautiful.

Most of the time however, it's a really fast icing and we head back where we began.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

sellouts posted:

Uh hi new so cal hockey friend. Let's go to a stick time!

Where do you live? The Torrance rink (IceAngeles is the league) is 100% committed to being the first league new players join. They have an aluminum league that they have specifically for never-evers and move good players/teams up regularly to keep the league balanced. They have 4 (technically 5) divisions of bronze and lower whereas most rinks have 2. You won't feel like the only rookie in the league and I can't say enough about it for new players.

I'm actually a ways out closer to SGV/IE, near where the 10, 57, and 71 all converge. Closest to me are the Ontario rinks but they're garbage and I don't know if they have much for leagues. They've been great for giving me cheap ice time to learn skating $40/mo unlimited public skate!, though I haven't done any stick time there. I recently started heading to KHS in Anaheim for stick time after work, and now I'll be doing Lakewood in the rotation after being introduced to it. My plan is to do one night in Ontario and one night elsewhere per week. I'm way down to join you for stick time whenever; I've always got a lot to work on and it's probably a big help for whenever I have a dumb question that I normally can't get an answer to.

Thanks for the advice re: Torrance. I started playing with two other friends so we're all fairly similar skill level. They work out in that direction so Torrance is definitely feasible once we join a league in the coming months.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 14, 2015

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I need to calm down on getting the breakout.

As soon as I get it, I'm afraid the d is bearing down on me so I think "gotta pass, gotta pass" so I pass it out to where the center would be of he was able to join the breakout and congratulations all I did was just make the other team tag up behind the blue line.

I really need to just take the puck out of the zone .

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Doctor Butts posted:

I need to calm down on getting the breakout.

As soon as I get it, I'm afraid the d is bearing down on me so I think "gotta pass, gotta pass" so I pass it out to where the center would be of he was able to join the breakout and congratulations all I did was just make the other team tag up behind the blue line.

I really need to just take the puck out of the zone .

It's not really as simple as pass it off 100% of the time or try to skate it out 100% of the time. Its usually about how the opposing D is going to play you when you get the puck on the boards. Some D like to pinch, some immediately start backing out of the zone. I find that there is more harm done when people try to skate the puck out of the zone themselves. If you miss a pass and simply create a regroup for the other team rather than creating transition for your team, that isn't necessarily the worst possible play.

Really what you need is teammates that will kind of tell you what's going on. Yelling something like "You've got room" or "Skate" if the D backs off and gives you room, or start calling for a pass or yelling "One on" or something like that so that you know the D is pinching down.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Have any of you guys gone to the Bauer Experience, or any other manufacture demo like it? I've only done motorcycle demo days so I'm assuming it'll be similar where you sign up for a time slot and what you want to use, and hope the wait-list isn't ridiculous.

BTW SO CAL GOONS, it's at Anaheim Ice thursday. https://twitter.com/bauerexperience

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Nitra your gmail bounced and you don't have PMs so either quit being a poor and get messages or get me your email address

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

bewbies posted:

but that was because we only had 7 skaters and only 3 of those were natural forwards

How the gently caress does this happen? I'm one of 2 natural defensemen on my entire team, and that is a normal occurrence on every beer league team I've been on.

Teeter posted:

I'm actually a ways out closer to SGV/IE, near where the 10, 57, and 71 all converge. Closest to me are the Ontario rinks but they're garbage and I don't know if they have much for leagues. They've been great for giving me cheap ice time to learn skating $40/mo unlimited public skate!, though I haven't done any stick time there. I recently started heading to KHS in Anaheim for stick time after work, and now I'll be doing Lakewood in the rotation after being introduced to it. My plan is to do one night in Ontario and one night elsewhere per week. I'm way down to join you for stick time whenever; I've always got a lot to work on and it's probably a big help for whenever I have a dumb question that I normally can't get an answer to.

What about the rink in Yorba LInda off the 91? I played in a league there for a little bit, seemed to be run okay, not sure what they have for divisions though.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

D C posted:

How the gently caress does this happen? I'm one of 2 natural defensemen on my entire team, and that is a normal occurrence on every beer league team I've been on.

Putting the lovely players on wing so they (hopefully) do less damage.

...Not that I'd know anything about that.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
My team has at least 6 guys who prefer to play defense. Though I think it's just that every old fat dude prefers defense.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thufir posted:

every old fat dude prefers defense.

Well, poo poo.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Thufir posted:

My team has at least 6 guys who prefer to play defense. Though I think it's just that every old fat dude prefers defense.

Allowing them to maximize the damage their fat old play results in.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Vital Signs posted:

For my first serious post of the day, I will say that I don't jump past the blue line and try to get behind the D until our team obtains control of the puck. If the puck is up for grabs or the other team has it, I'm blocking off the D from a pass or chance.

I wish this worked more often. What usually happens is that the breakout pass doesn't have enough on it, or the clearing attempt isn't high off the glass, and the bad guy d-man just keeps it in. If I'm already behind him when this happens, well, now he has all kinds of time and space.

bigbillystyle posted:

Really what you need is teammates that will kind of tell you what's going on. Yelling something like "You've got room" or "Skate" if the D backs off and gives you room, or start calling for a pass or yelling "One on" or something like that so that you know the D is pinching down.

I also wish this was more common. I feel like I'm shouting to my teammates 100% of the time, but once I'm carrying the puck, I almost never get any verbal instruction or warning from my teammates. I think it just takes time to develop the confidence to tell your teammates what's going on.

This is most important on the rush. I'm not really confident enough carrying the puck to look around behind me to see if anyone is joining me on the rush, so if they don't shout that they're with me or that I have options, I'm going to carry it all the way for the shot or into the corner to turn and look for the trailer.

Long story short: speak up on the ice. Teams that communicate will usually beat an equally skilled opponent that does not.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

D C posted:

What about the rink in Yorba LInda off the 91? I played in a league there for a little bit, seemed to be run okay, not sure what they have for divisions though.

Thanks for the tip, this may be a good option for my two friends and I. The Torrance league that Sellouts described is really enticing but it seems like it's already started. Same with the Lakewood rookie league. Our options as I see it now are to jump into Yorba Linda's rookie league in late Feb or wait until Summer to get the next go-around at one of the other rinks. We've made a lot of progression and should be decent enough to start bumbling around with other newbies at this point so it may be worth it to start sooner rather than later.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

sellouts posted:

Nitra your gmail bounced and you don't have PMs so either quit being a poor and get messages or get me your email address

It's my username at gmail. Type better or give me yours.

Also, gently caress off I spent all my money (and more) on hockey and motorcycle bullshit! :homebrew:

Also also, why do you keep calling it Torrance it's Harbor City. :colbert:

Teeter posted:

Thanks for the tip, this may be a good option for my two friends and I. The Torrance league that Sellouts described is really enticing but it seems like it's already started. Same with the Lakewood rookie league. Our options as I see it now are to jump into Yorba Linda's rookie league in late Feb or wait until Summer to get the next go-around at one of the other rinks. We've made a lot of progression and should be decent enough to start bumbling around with other newbies at this point so it may be worth it to start sooner rather than later.

Teeter, Ace and I don't even have our first game until sunday, since there is 5 teams the short one had a bye the first week to get more players. I don't know how they are now but if you got hold of the director you could ask if there was still enough space for you and your crew.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Nitramster posted:

Teeter, Ace and I don't even have our first game until sunday, since there is 5 teams the short one had a bye the first week to get more players. I don't know how they are now but if you got hold of the director you could ask if there was still enough space for you and your crew.

Is this for Torrance Harbor City or Lakewood? I'll give the director a call and see what's going on but I think for now we're looking at Yorba Linda mostly because we have time to register and won't need to wait til Summer. Yorba Linda has Wednesday games which are far from ideal so I'll look into whether we can get a late start elsewhere or maybe just be subs if that's possible.

It's pretty cool that there are so many SoCal hockey goons.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

Teeter posted:

Is this for Torrance Harbor City or Lakewood? I'll give the director a call and see what's going on but I think for now we're looking at Yorba Linda mostly because we have time to register and won't need to wait til Summer. Yorba Linda has Wednesday games which are far from ideal so I'll look into whether we can get a late start elsewhere or maybe just be subs if that's possible.

It's pretty cool that there are so many SoCal hockey goons.

This is for Harbor City, we dropped out of Lakewood and Westminster (where we also played rookie) leagues for this season.

Dale Meets Wall
Aug 17, 2004

Dale will always steer you in the RIGHT direction!
Does there happen to be any WNY or Buffalo hockey goons? I'm 7 weeks into my instructional program and loving it more each time. If there is any local goons I wouldn't mind meeting up for some hockey.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Give the guys at iceangeles an email. If you call the rink expect them to not know anything. They can probably put you on a team and pay the prorated rate. It just started.

Games run from 1230pm to 1015pm on Sundays so if you're willing to drive that far at least traffic won't be that bad.

And I call it Torrance because it's basically Torrance and no one knows what the hell harbor city is.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Habibi posted:

Allowing them to maximize the damage their fat old play results in.

We've got one 20 year-old on D and one old fat guy that's smart and effective but sometimes the other guys end up out together and...:negative:

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Our rinks schedule for this session is such bullshit. Every team was off for two weeks for the holidays and our team had a bye week the week after. Our team hasn't played for about a month and we have a playoff game tonight. It is going to be a complete disaster!

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Thufir posted:

We've got one 20 year-old on D and one old fat guy that's smart and effective but sometimes the other guys end up out together and...:negative:

One of the oldest guys on my team plays D, but he's really good at it. I enjoy playing with him because we work pretty well together. If I get with one of the other guys it's a disaster since they like to creep up all the god drat time and don't skate back. Granted I still do stupid poo poo on occasion since I still lack confidence with the puck. But at least I'll skate my rear end off unlike some of the other D.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

One big breakout failure is softly shooting the puck along the boards. It takes so long to get to where the wing is that the D nearly always find their courage and pinch hard.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chemmy posted:

One big breakout failure is softly shooting the puck along the boards. It takes so long to get to where the wing is that the D nearly always find their courage and pinch hard.

My failure is I have trouble getting good velocity on the puck when I don't have time to set up and really dig into it. When I'm under pressure it comes off my stick like molasses. :smith:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

xzzy posted:

My failure is I have trouble getting good velocity on the puck when I don't have time to set up and really dig into it. When I'm under pressure it comes off my stick like molasses. :smith:

Bend your knees more

e: Is the answer to basically everything.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Chemmy posted:

Or one of the opposing forwards. I hate that situation so much, where I come down to the hashmarks to pick up the puck and have to fight it away from their center and then also get it past/around the D.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Just got a late Christmas gift from some buddies. :cool: New socks.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

I want to make a shooting pad for my backyard. What material should I be on the lookout for if I head in to Home Depot or wherever? Bonus points if it rolls or can be cut there because I have a tiny car and would need to make some arrangements to get a giant sheet of whatever home.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Teeter posted:

I want to make a shooting pad for my backyard. What material should I be on the lookout for if I head in to Home Depot or wherever? Bonus points if it rolls or can be cut there because I have a tiny car and would need to make some arrangements to get a giant sheet of whatever home.

All you're going to find at home depot is stuff called "whiteboard" or "shower board." It kind of looks like a dry erase board, but isn't really the same thing. If you spray it down with a bunch of silicone lubricant it gets pretty darn slippery. They sell it in 4x8 sheets, but will cut it down in store if you ask so you can get it in your car.

Another option is HDPE, which can be bought thin enough to roll up and is pretty good for a shooting pad.. you can get 4x8 sheets that under a tenth of an inch thick so they roll up real nice. Never used it myself but there's people around on the internet who do it and like it. Can find this stuff on amazon for pretty cheap.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Speaking of shooting pads, I want to buy a net to add to my basement shooting set up, right now I'm just firing at tape on a mattress. Is there anything I should be looking for in particular? I just want one that's the right size and that I can also potentially hang one of those tarps with the corners cut in.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

prom candy posted:

Speaking of shooting pads, I want to buy a net to add to my basement shooting set up, right now I'm just firing at tape on a mattress. Is there anything I should be looking for in particular? I just want one that's the right size and that I can also potentially hang one of those tarps with the corners cut in.

A lot of the nets for sale are intended for street hockey and will not hold up to repeated hits from ice pucks. I've got this one http://www.hockeyshot.com/EZ-Goal-Pro-Steel-FOLDING-Goal-p/goal-0012in.htm and it is meant for pucks and also folds down flat.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You'll dent the hell out of those posts but it works great.

I am so jealous of Pleads' socks.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
Bauer event at Anaheim Ice starts at 530 tonight, Nitramster and I will be there. Always fun to break some $250 sticks.

Recreations in Logic
Jan 17, 2001

Pleads posted:

Just got a late Christmas gift from some buddies. :cool: New socks.

Where can I get socks like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

Recreations in Logic posted:

Where can I get socks like that?