Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Geight posted:

The dude who did the Boshy run at AGDQ is streaming and he was saying that bonus stream was just them hoping that they wouldn't get kicked out, and the hotel kicked them out. I figured it was just scheduled to be short!

We deliberately chose ahead of time to keep the bonus stream short for the sanity of the staff and so that we had plenty of time to pack things up.

We decided days in advance that 6pm was the cutoff and that's what we did!

Hell, we got out of the room entirely at 5pm the next day... and then the hotel just didn't even care. So pretty much the opposite of getting kicked out.

Anybody who says otherwise is, at best, repeating a false rumor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Okay I kind of assumed he was wrong but I didn't want to outright say "I think this guy is talkin BS, can someone in the know back me up?" :shobon:

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Am I misremembering or was last year's bonus stream like a week long?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Am I misremembering or was last year's bonus stream like a week long?

It was, but this year they scheduled the bonus stream to be a day long and not about speedrunning stuff, because a hotel full of adults can't handle sharing very well.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Geight posted:

It was, but this year they scheduled the bonus stream to be a day long and not about speedrunning stuff, because a hotel full of adults can't handle sharing very well.

Not that adults shouldn't be held to a higher standard but also remember the point of speedrunning at its core is to be competitive so it's no surprise that it could get ugly.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Oh by the way, Romscout posted that SGDQ submissions are happening in March. Sooooo, if you'd like to get a game in, start polishing now.

Personally I think I'm okay submitting Wings of Vi with my 20 hour time.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

I'm looking forward to pies runescape all free quests Co op run

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Paid quests are a donation incentive.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Polishing up my Circle of the Moon glitched any% run!!

(not really but that run is goddamn hilarious and relatively easy to execute and it's the first thing I'd submit if I got into speedrunning enough to participate in a GDQ)

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish I liked games / was good enough at them to speed run one. The event seems like it'd be real fun to participate in. :smith:

Are there any easy games to learn to speedrun?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
i really should grind out my Sonic Generations Unleashed Project times and do a run of that.

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

I dusted off the ol' god hand. We'll see if my resolve to speedrun holds this year

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

i really should grind out my Sonic Generations Unleashed Project times and do a run of that.

I wonder if there will be a new version of that mod soon. I've seen videos from Gdario's Youtube that have new features like the original drifting animation and directional boosters.

Hopefully the new version will somehow let you play the Sonic portions of Eggmanland, because it's just not Sonic Unleashed without it :twisted:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It's high time people started really competing on the werehog parts of Sonic Unleashed. There's just gotta be ridiculous skips and poo poo in there waiting for us.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I think we all know what everyone has really been waiting for is my Lifeline speed run.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

I would watch the poo poo out of that

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Random Stranger posted:

I think we all know what everyone has really been waiting for is my Lifeline speed run.

romscout already runs that.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's high time people started really competing on the werehog parts of Sonic Unleashed. There's just gotta be ridiculous skips and poo poo in there waiting for us.
They'd have to be some completely ridiculous skips to make the game even remotely watchable in a marathon setting.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Incoherence posted:

They'd have to be some completely ridiculous skips to make the game even remotely watchable in a marathon setting.

Yeah but it's not like Sonic games are known for iron-clad coding.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Incoherence posted:

Anything's better than watching them get stuck in some geometry and skipping to the end of the level.

The problem with Unleashed is that you need to find Sun medals in Werehog stages to unlock normal Sonic stages, and vice versa. In an Unleashed Mod run you can just show off the fastest route through each stage and with no downtime between them.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I'm pretty sure they did show off Unleashed's night stages during one of the marathons, and a lot of it came down to "abuse this one move to clip outside the level then fly through space to the exit"

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Studio posted:

Oh by the way, Romscout posted that SGDQ submissions are happening in March. Sooooo, if you'd like to get a game in, start polishing now.

Personally I think I'm okay submitting Wings of Vi with my 20 hour time.

I could fit like 3 beyond: two souls speedruns in that time. I'll be for sure submitting that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

President Ark posted:

I'm pretty sure they did show off Unleashed's night stages during one of the marathons, and a lot of it came down to "abuse this one move to clip outside the level then fly through space to the exit"

Yeah they did a partial showing of 2 Werehog levels at SGDQ one year after an all-day-stages run, but they didn't finish the last level shown because the guy hadn't really practiced the werehog stages much.

Someone who could nail down both the day and night stages really well while making sure to grab enough medals for unlocking levels, so that you have a full story run in a short time, would be really neat to see.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Dr. Stab posted:

I could fit like 3 beyond: two souls speedruns in that time. I'll be for sure submitting that.

Any cool skips, besides skipping cutscenes?

Also, how many people are dead in the ending? I know the only person guaranteed to die is that old Native American woman.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah they did a partial showing of 2 Werehog levels at SGDQ one year after an all-day-stages run, but they didn't finish the last level shown because the guy hadn't really practiced the werehog stages much.

Someone who could nail down both the day and night stages really well while making sure to grab enough medals for unlocking levels, so that you have a full story run in a short time, would be really neat to see.

Could be an amusing duo thing if one guy did the day stages and they'd hand off between that and the werehog.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Abu Dave posted:

I wish I liked games / was good enough at them to speed run one. The event seems like it'd be real fun to participate in. :smith:

I'm sure you can get good at speedrunning most NES / SNES games if you play them over and over enough to where it's all muscle memory.
Personally that's not my jam because it seems like it would feel like work at some point, but I enjoy watching people who don't mind that aspect doing it.

I'm curious as to how people find glitches. Is it mostly by chance, or do people just go around trying weird things to deliberately break the game, or is there some peeking into the memory while the game is running on an emulator, or...?

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Tracula posted:

Could be an amusing duo thing if one guy did the day stages and they'd hand off between that and the werehog.
Only if one of them is in front of the camera at a time and whenever they switch over they fade the camera to black so they can swap places and have to pretend that the runner transformed into the other one.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

raditts posted:

I'm curious as to how people find glitches. Is it mostly by chance, or do people just go around trying weird things to deliberately break the game, or is there some peeking into the memory while the game is running on an emulator, or...?

All three things, pretty much. Random chance tends to lead to something that might be exploitable, people try to replicate it, and if suitable emulators are available people will try it in an emulator to see what's up.

And then there's things like seeing that a glitch already works in a game with a similar engine, and determining if you can replicate it in the older or newer engine in another game.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

That loving Sned posted:

Any cool skips, besides skipping cutscenes?

Also, how many people are dead in the ending? I know the only person guaranteed to die is that old Native American woman.

There's like a minute worth of skips. Mostly it's just finding the fastest of the predetermined options. Also, cutscenes are unskippable, so skipping cutscenes is actually a big deal for that game.

You don't actually get to the part where you see all the dead people, but, off the top of my head, Walter, Jimmy, Paul and Nathan die. Cole would die but we skip that cutscene (I don't know if he gets counted as dead or not. My suspicion is that he's alive). Jodie also dies I guess.I don't really pay attention to the story or dialogue.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Gotta get working on my speed run of Desert Bus for the awful PC games block. There's been some crazy sub pixel optimizations that shave seconds off the final time!

pointlessone fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 16, 2015

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Heh, I could see it working as something started at the beginning of the marathon and then checking in every so often during breaks of the other runs.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

dis astranagant posted:

Spinball is terrible but my 8 year old self enjoyed seeing it played. I smelled Robuttnik's socks quite a lot as a kid :v:

Um the Toxic Caves music is amazing.

Lost Levels was the best run and I wish more coulda been like that.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

ArfJason posted:

I would watch the poo poo out of that

It looks SO PRETTY and it's not even that difficult. People talk about having to be "powerful thinkers" to beat, say, Jungle Joyride, but that's just because people are slow idiots. :smuggo:

Basically, I gotta grind out S-Ranks. Anyone who can consistently S-Rank the Unleashed Project with no upgrades can run it in a marathon.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Cool Matty posted:

Also, just for reference, all of our hardware is just one digital mixer, a Behringer X32. I know it's got plenty of options for various compressor setups, and even has a multi-band compressor somewhere in the effects bin, so I can probably manage what you've described. Just need to get some experience with it first.

Page 44: http://www.behringer.com/assets/X32_M_EN.pdf

It looks like on the second page of the compressor's settings you can assign a "key source" with the 6th encoder. So to make the runners' voices duck the game audio, put a compressor on the game audio channel and assign the compressor's key source to be the voice bus (take all of the voice channels and have their outputs all go to one master channel to make a voice bus).

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

raditts posted:

Combination of all the three really depending on the runner's personal methods, but with an added fourth method of "lots of loving trial and error". My own personal experience with glitch-hunting is when a friend of mine had a wacky idea in Silent Hill 3 when he noticed he could open the inventory a split second before running into a load zone through what I assume was an accident, a chance thing. He then had the idea to interrupt the loading by equipping a costume that started a cutscene, deliberately trying out a weird thing to try and break the game and it worked to produce something akin to a wrong warp effect. I followed this up with five hours of trying this glitch on every single loading zone in the game to see which ones were useful and it turned out that only one was immediately useful and one might be useful if we had a peek into the game's memory and looked at the position coordinates, which we still haven't done because we're massively lazy but yeah there's the third one.

glitch-hunting is fun sometimes if you're the one stumbling onto the weird eccentricities and having the crazy ideas that pan out, it is less fun when you're the one doing the grunt work to determine through trial-and-error how it works and how useful it is

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 16, 2015

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Abu Dave posted:

Lazy phonepost - the speedrunslive front page has an event called get yourself speedrunning you could should check out. Races to encourage folks to get in to the..I'm gonna say sport!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

teh_Broseph posted:

Lazy phonepost - the speedrunslive front page has an event called get yourself speedrunning you could should check out. Races to encourage folks to get in to the..I'm gonna say sport!

I saw that on the stream but I'm so bad at most games, and don't have any consoles. :smith:
Maybe I'll be able to volunteer one year. Or get blessed with non-suckitude.

VV: Isn't that frowned upon? Downloading a NES/SNES emu and a few ROMs is no work at all, but I'm not sure how okay it is to emulate. I know Big Jon does it on stream though so...

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 16, 2015

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Serperoth posted:

I saw that on the stream but I'm so bad at most games, and don't have any consoles. :smith:
Maybe I'll be able to volunteer one year. Or get blessed with non-suckitude.

Emulation baby!

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Serperoth posted:

VV: Isn't that frowned upon? Downloading a NES/SNES emu and a few ROMs is no work at all, but I'm not sure how okay it is to emulate. I know Big Jon does it on stream though so...

Nah, most people who you see streaming are probably playing the game on an emulator. Everyone understands that is a hassle to get proper video capture equipment for older consoles working right, and even harder to get them working with a stream.

Races, too, are mostly on emulators. People usually agree to use the same version, probably going as far as passing roms around.

Original hardware really only matters when submitting a run to SDA, because its a solid baseline that pretty much guarantees everyone's starting from the same place, and there's no "magic" going on behind the scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Unless you're submitting to SDA most game groups don't mind an emulator as long as it doesn't offer any advantages to playing it on the normal console such as faster load times, which might be a problem for disc-based systems, but most cartridge-based systems don't have a noticeable difference when compared to emu.

• Locked thread