Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
Yeah it was a pretty big flaw that you could just encircle the capital and cut all other units out of supply, as if there were no other supply depots, or that the supply wouldnt simply go someplace else. I hope HOI4 still has supply bases and such, but it has to be uncovered by your spies and you cant simply cheese it so easily like you could in HOI2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
Can I get some of those SI announcement butthurt posts? Nothing like pdox forum posts to tide me over until the NATO counter DLC for HOI4.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

Can I get some of those SI announcement butthurt posts? Nothing like pdox forum posts to tide me over until the NATO counter DLC for HOI4.

They are using NATO icons for HoI4. It is not in screenshots because they are using their own icons primarily, but they added it as an option because a lot of grogs wargamers are familiar with the symbols, they are not using counters because of how the map is designed, so it is a compromise.

What I am waiting for is NATO Symbols DLC for CK2, EU4 and V3.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

ZearothK posted:

They are using NATO icons for HoI4. It is not in screenshots because they are using their own icons primarily, but they added it as an option because a lot of grogs wargamers are familiar with the symbols, they are not using counters because of how the map is designed, so it is a compromise.

I'm waiting for the April Fools' post giving the entire lineup Warsaw Pact unit markers.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alchenar posted:

Oh man, you would not believe the tears and rage in this thread's predecessor when it was announced that EU3 would not be event driven.

To be honest EU3 had virtually no events when it was released and felt more like playing rise of nations on a better developed risk map with no battles.

All previous games are super obsolete to the point of feeling unplayable by EU4 though. It's very rare to see a company release a game so methodically better in every way.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

There's still angry red avatars floating around Games from that time

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Was it EU3 or EU2 that had that big AGCEEP mod? Everyone raved about it and said it was a must install so I started my first game with it enabled and it almost put me off entirely. It had a bunch of events that basically said "your administration made a bunch of bad decisions, here are all these penalties for a hundred years" which is just about the dumbest possible way to run a game that I can imagine. I got whichever one it was in an actual physical jewel case and it very well could be the last PC game I bought physically.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Sharzak posted:

Was it EU3 or EU2 that had that big AGCEEP mod? Everyone raved about it and said it was a must install so I started my first game with it enabled and it almost put me off entirely. It had a bunch of events that basically said "your administration made a bunch of bad decisions, here are all these penalties for a hundred years" which is just about the dumbest possible way to run a game that I can imagine. I got whichever one it was in an actual physical jewel case and it very well could be the last PC game I bought physically.

AGCEEP was EU2 but don't you worry, EU3 had FRAMED!

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
FRAMED! - So damaging an event, it will even have your family get you incarcerated against your will in a mental health institute.

Alas, if only the above statement was a joke.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Sharzak posted:

Overly historical EU2 events was what got me into modding - I was playing Austria and suddenly I had to give up all my westernmost provinces to Spain. gently caress that.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Darkrenown posted:

Overly historical EU2 events was what got me into modding - I was playing Austria and suddenly I had to give up all my westernmost provinces to Spain. gently caress that.
Yeah, AGCEEP supporting going off the historical rails (to a certain degree) was the reason it was considered a must-have. Unmodded EU2 was far too railroaded and never understood at the outrage EU3 got back in the day for ditching that system.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

ExtraNoise posted:

He's not wrong, though.

People miss the 2D maps :psyduck:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Every aspect of Paradox games, no matter how minute, has a diehard base of true groglords defending it. And they've collectively agreed that Paradox went casual when they took out manual pop splitting.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Westminster System posted:

FRAMED! - So damaging an event, it will even have your family get you incarcerated against your will in a mental health institute.

Alas, if only the above statement was a joke.

What CK2 really needs is a MAIMED! event chain.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

Can I get some of those SI announcement butthurt posts?

I'd love to read some of these too. :allears:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

frankenfreak posted:

Yeah, AGCEEP supporting going off the historical rails (to a certain degree) was the reason it was considered a must-have. Unmodded EU2 was far too railroaded and never understood at the outrage EU3 got back in the day for ditching that system.

Although I feel EU4 could do with some more railroading. I know it's unlikely to ever happen because it's not the game Johan wants to make, but it really annoys me that you could play a billion games of EU3, and never get a world at the end that closely matched what happened in our own time. I hate seeing Portugal in the Caribbean and Spain in India, Russia that never bothers to conquer the steppes, a France that devours the Rhineland, an England that conquers Scotland but leaves two provinces as Scotland forever, and Imperial Austria conquering German OPMs to connect its lands. It's nice that these things happen sometimes, but the fact that they happen all the time is really aggravating.

Vichan posted:

What CK2 really needs is a MAIMED! event chain.

Holy poo poo yes it does.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

I got EU2 when I was 11 because from the box I thought it'd be similar to Age of Empires (my favorite game at the time). I didn't get it too much but I did like playing Spain and exploring and colonizing stuff. I kinda forgot about it after awhile but ended up getting HoI a three or four years later and from there the rest of paradox.

I do remember that all paradox games crashed in the same way on every computer I had for years and it pissed teen me off to no end.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Although I feel EU4 could do with some more railroading. I know it's unlikely to ever happen because it's not the game Johan wants to make, but it really annoys me that you could play a billion games of EU3, and never get a world at the end that closely matched what happened in our own time. I hate seeing Portugal in the Caribbean and Spain in India, Russia that never bothers to conquer the steppes, a France that devours the Rhineland, an England that conquers Scotland but leaves two provinces as Scotland forever, and Imperial Austria conquering German OPMs to connect its lands. It's nice that these things happen sometimes, but the fact that they happen all the time is really aggravating.

Imo Portuguese Siberia is the worst offender here.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

PittTheElder posted:

an England that conquers Scotland but leaves two provinces as Scotland forever

See, the RNG gods can be funny. I see Great Britain for nearly every game but I almost never see Spain form. Insanely rare in my games. They take most of Aragon but never actually annex or finish it off.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

See, the RNG gods can be funny. I see Great Britain for nearly every game but I almost never see Spain form. Insanely rare in my games. They take most of Aragon but never actually annex or finish it off.

In all the games I've played in EU3 I literally never saw Spain form. Admittedly I didn't usually play with historical lucky nations but still, you'd think it would happen once.

Just got back into seriously playing EU4 but this current game doesn't look to good for Castile either. They just don't want to take the last couple Aragon provinces.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

They really are. Back when EU4 first dropped I saw so many people posting screenshots of PLC Commonwealths healthy and strong. Outside the demo, I played something like 10 games before I saw them manage to not implode within the first 50 years. This happened even when I was nowhere nearby. :iiam:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PittTheElder posted:

I agree with everything else but what's wrong with this?

If anything i wish European powers gave more concern about Asia. You barely see them there, they tend to reach Malacca during the mid 17th century and outside of Ceylon they hardly bother with India.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

By the time the game opens in 1444, Portugal was already heavily invested in exploring the coast of Africa and finding a route to India. Their interest was rooted firmly in the south and east. They also secured a treaty (Alcacovas, 1479), later confirmed by Papal Bull, with Castile that among many things guaranteed Portugal exclusive rights to any land discovered in the Atlantic south of the Canaries. Also included was rights to navigation and trade over said waters.

Once the conquest of Grenada was more or less wrapped up, the Spanish monarchs realized they may have given up too much, and sponsored a rather obscure explorer in his voyage to reach the Indies by sailing west. The hope was that a new route would lie outside the Portuguese sphere of influence. As it happened the lands this Colombo fellow discovered were all south of the Canaries (and thus in the Portuguese area under Alcacovas), but the Spanish were not keen to surrender it, and unable to effectively contest it, they got their pal the Pope to issue a new Bull. This Bull effectively declared that any lands not already discovered should actually belong to Spain.

The King of Portugal was none too pleased with this, since the particulars of the wording meant that Spain also held rights to India. By this time the Portuguese had nearly finished scouting the sea route to India, having already entered the Indian ocean. So he sat down with the Spanish monarchs and they sorted out their own agreement, awarding all lands west of a mostly arbitrary line to Spain, and all lands east of that line to Portugal. Nearly all of this area was unknown to either party, but the Treaty of Tordesillas would ultimately give the Americas (excepting Brazil, perhaps already known to the Portuguese) to Spain, and Asia to Portugal. The treaty was later confirmed by the Pope, and by and large the Iberians stuck to the agreement, as it suited both their interests to do so. The rest of the European powers would completely ignore all these agreements.

Personally, I'd love to see that formal division of the world amongst the Iberians modeled as a DHE or two and a few AI imperatives. The order Euros would of course be unaffected.

As for Asia, it would be nice if the Euros became more active there, but prior to the mid-17th century they really didn't have much of a presence there at all. If anything colonization (mostly in the Americas and Africa) is way too fast, owing to the way disease isn't modeled mostly.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 15, 2015

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

Every aspect of Paradox games, no matter how minute, has a diehard base of true groglords defending it. And they've collectively agreed that Paradox went casual when they took out manual pop splitting.

And thus all the really terrible grogs left paradox forever and we've moved on from pretty quibbling of how important this random rural town in the Balkans was to the world stage over the entirety of India, or how X Monarch was the greatest leader in the world if you consider the circumstances they were in. We've built a utopian community of fun with history~

...Right?

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Ask not from where the grog groans, it groans from you.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

ZearothK posted:

I might start joking on the forums about adding that now :D

Mans posted:

All previous games are super obsolete to the point of feeling unplayable by EU4 though. It's very rare to see a company release a game so methodically better in every way.

I know rite? I usually say that "I loved EU3, except for it being so poo poo". EU4 was a drastic improvement and I don't get why there is a chunk of the multiplayer community on Pdox who seem to glorify EU3 for some reason.
To be clear, I played +3 000 hours of EU3 and loved it, but when I got hired and could play EU4 before release.... well I never looked back. Only old game I still play is Victoria 2.

Remember one guy who said "You can't have played EU3 at all if you think EU4 is better". Yeah 'bout that....

Groogy fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jan 15, 2015

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Groogy posted:

Remember one guy who said "You can't have played EU3 at all if you think EU4 is better". Yeah 'bout that....

EU2 purists are even better.

"Paradox games will only be great again if they're filled with railroaded historical events! Nothing makes me more happy than being forced into a personal union as Hungary every single time regardless of the circumstances, stop catering to the filthy casuals!"

All of this is ridiculous of course, everyone knows you guys already started selling out after Svea Rike! :argh:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Vichan posted:

All of this is ridiculous of course, everyone knows you guys already started selling out after Svea Rike! :argh:

Yeah I know... Every Friday I swim in my swimming pool filled with money thanks to catering to the casual strategy gamers. Now I could do that every day if we just could come up how to cater to the Facebook gamers....

"Hitler was just elected leader of Germany, want to share this with your friends?"
"You do not have enough action points to move this army, do you want to buy some for 99 cent?"

Edit: Actually not so much as social games but I would love a web based grand strategy game. I played A LOT of web based strategy games before, I would just want one on grander scale. Anyone here played Astro Empires? I know I fought a lot of Goons there.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jan 15, 2015

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Groogy posted:

Yeah I know... Every Friday I swim in my swimming pool filled with money thanks to catering to the casual strategy gamers. Now I could do that every day if we just could come up how to cater to the Facebook gamers....

"Hitler was just elected leader of Germany, want to share this with your friends?"
"You do not have enough action points to move this army, do you want to buy some for 99 cent?"

"You have successfully invaded Austria and looted 2 gold coins. If you were a premium player, you would have gotten 4 instead."

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
You can't loot anything in the HRE when you're at war with the emperor, because you got military access.

About the history stuff, I feel this is a game, if I wanted to sperg about how actual history went I'd go read a book about it or watch a movie. If anything the game needs less railroading or more of the DHE need to have consequences. Austria getting the lower lands for free and Castille getting a free PU over Aragon might be historical but it is not that fun for the gameplay. While we're at it, please improve the Random New World and expand it to the full map! Yes I want EU4 with Civ maps.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Groogy posted:

if we just could come up how to cater to the Facebook gamers....

"To activate your Fall Weiss battleplan you need 10 friends to like it on facebook"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

podcat posted:

"To activate your Fall Weiss battleplan you need 10 friends to like it on facebook"

Please do a Developer Diary where this is the feature you're promoting, just to troll the insane Paradox forumers.

Groogy posted:

I might start joking on the forums about adding that now :D

I know rite? I usually say that "I loved EU3, except for it being so poo poo". EU4 was a drastic improvement and I don't get why there is a chunk of the multiplayer community on Pdox who seem to glorify EU3 for some reason.
To be clear, I played +3 000 hours of EU3 and loved it, but when I got hired and could play EU4 before release.... well I never looked back. Only old game I still play is Victoria 2.

Vic2 doesn't count as an old game because there isn't a Vic3.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

vyelkin posted:

Just like Darkest Hour doesn't count because there isn't a HoI3.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

vyelkin posted:

So Dungeon Keepers 2 is not an old game either?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Groogy posted:

So Dungeon Keepers 2 is not an old game either?

Someone is forgetting the brilliant new Dungeon Keeper for mobiles!

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Wiz posted:

Someone is forgetting the brilliant new Dungeon Keeper for mobiles!

BLASPHEMY! Don't you dare mention the spawn of Satan!

Edit: Also seems like EA beat us too it, darn.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 15, 2015

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
You have enacted the decision "Holocaust". Share this on your timeline y/n?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Enacting the Trail of Tears decision in V2 should earn you the steam achievement 'Basically Hitler' with no way to cancel it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It looks like your invasion of Russia has stalled! Would you like to buy a new panzer division for 999 Paradox Bucks or $0.99?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

PittTheElder posted:

What we are missing, I think, compared to History, is narrative. If we were to see the a political borders map of History unfold through time without context, I don't think it would seem as purpose driven as we think. There is at least a bit of narrative woven into the game thanks to the casus bellis. So I suppose all it comes down to is that the player has no choice but to Role-play and find a reason for the AI to take said plot of land.

There is one thing that I liked about the newspaper in the recent expansion of Victoria 2: it brought about the feeling that the world was more alive, and that the nations were driven by men and women, even though it was just pretty dressing to a lot of the normal messages. A nice touch that I think added a bit of narrative to the world, even if I skipped half of them. Maybe something similar would be needed for EU? Although I'm not sure how...

• Locked thread