Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Supercar Gautier posted:

SMG2 being a straight ISO dump, while fine for that game, makes me worry that they won't update the control options for games that could really use it, like DKCR.

If they can get the Gamepad to fake a Classic Controller, surely they can get it to fake a sideways remote?

They can fake a Classic Controller because it's just button presses and thumbstick input being translated. It probably gets a little fidgety when you bring in Wiimote motion sensing into the equation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They can fake a Classic Controller because it's just button presses and thumbstick input being translated. It probably gets a little fidgety when you bring in Wiimote motion sensing into the equation.

Also for games that support multiple control schemes, how is it supposed to tell which one you're using?

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
So apparently a ton of people don't understand how hardware emulation works, so they're bitching that SMG2 isn't upscaled to 1080p. :doh: I guess a convenient downloadable format and a reasonable price aren't enough to avoid the wrath of Internet fuckwads gamers.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Haha. If they were porting/remastering the Wii games, we probably wouldn't be getting three of them in the span of three weeks.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

Besides, anyone who things SMG2 is anything but gorgeous doesn't deserve eyes

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

13/f/cali posted:

As much as I know not everyone enjoys GBA VC games being on Wii U I keep buying them because I apparently missed some classics during that generation. I just got Wario Land 4 after the AGDQ run made it look pretty fun and also grabbed Wario Ware for the hell of it. Part of me wants to pick up Ruby/Sapphire Pinball but I'm not sure about that one, might hold off and get Punch-Out for Wii when it drops next week, I love the thought of having a digital copy of that.

The Wii U is just the best.

The Wii U really is the best. The VC + Wii U game lineup is great, especially if you missed GBA games. I'm excited about Metroid Prime Trilogy. I really hope we get a bunch of other Wii games. There are a bunch worth playing. Hopefully the $10 first week thing happens with future releases and not just the currently announced ones.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Supercar Gautier posted:

Haha. If they were porting/remastering the Wii games, we probably wouldn't be getting three of them in the span of three weeks.

Depends how good their emulator is. Considering it's using the original Wii hardware to do most of the grunt work, they might well be able to manage to write a near-universal emulator.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I don't think emulation is involved at all. They've just figured out some sort of input wrapper to map the gamepad to wii CC input somehow. Otherwise it should still in the Wii Mode sandbox.

It'll be interesting if the homebrew community can figure out what Nintendo figured out.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
How do the GBA games look on virtual console? Yoshi's Island is two bucks off and it's one of my favorite games of all time. I wish I could play the SNES version or on a handheld but if this is the only legal way to play it in 2014 it's better than nothin' yeah?

Eindyin
Mar 23, 2004

#1 Son
The answer to this is probably no, but can you transfer save data for SMG2 from the vWii to Wii U when you download the game? I'm too lazy to go into Wii mode half the time, but I've already started Galaxy 2 like four times and it'd probably kill me to start again.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

Save data should be exactly the same since it's just a disc image

Eindyin
Mar 23, 2004

#1 Son
And the Wii U will pick it up? I noticed Wii Fit U did this, picking up vWii save data for the original Wii Fit, but I figured it might have been specifically programmed or something.

Seriously considering spending $10 just to not have to go into Wii mode to play SMG2, that's pretty lazy.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

No, as in the game runs in the vWii, it just boots the game directly from the WiiU menu

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Eindyin posted:

And the Wii U will pick it up? I noticed Wii Fit U did this, picking up vWii save data for the original Wii Fit, but I figured it might have been specifically programmed or something.

Seriously considering spending $10 just to not have to go into Wii mode to play SMG2, that's pretty lazy.

I traded in SMG2 towards my WiiU many moons ago. Bought it today and when I opened it to my surprise it opened my save that I transferred over in 2012.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

Ultigonio posted:

Small taste of the Splatoon boxart. Not surprisingly, it looks rad.

That does look rad. Thank god they didn't make the NA box art all gold or yellow.:

Eindyin
Mar 23, 2004

#1 Son

greatn posted:

I traded in SMG2 towards my WiiU many moons ago. Bought it today and when I opened it to my surprise it opened my save that I transferred over in 2012.

:woop: Bye bye ten bucks

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I can confirm that the digital version of SMG2 recognizes any save data you might already have from the disc version. It's literally the exact same software, byte for byte, running in vWii mode (even the home menu is the Wii version rather than the Wii U version), so the game acts exactly like it would if you were going into vWii mode and running it from the disc.

Kaleidoscope posted:

How do the GBA games look on virtual console? Yoshi's Island is two bucks off and it's one of my favorite games of all time. I wish I could play the SNES version or on a handheld but if this is the only legal way to play it in 2014 it's better than nothin' yeah?

GBA games are reproduced pretty much perfectly. They use nearest-neighbour scaling so there's no fuzziness, and there's even a couple options to customize the image (there's a smoothing option, and a "perfect pixel" option that scales the image by an exact integer).

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
It will be nice to have access to Metroid Prime Trilogy for a reasonable amount of money.

I have a Wii U basic though so ain't got room for digital junk. It's probably been discussed to death but self powered USB drive requires a Dual/Y-Cable for the extra power right? Are there any issues with doing this?

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

Ive had one of those WD Elements drives with a generic usb y cable for a few months now and its been perfect

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best
I'm so glad Splatoon is slowly turning out to be some weird Nintendo mutation of Team Fortress 2.

Complete with hats.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
Ok, someone help me out. I still have my Super Mario Galaxy 2 game disc, but just having Super Mario Galaxy 2 in digital form is super tempting for just $9.99.

Question 1) Will it boot from the Wii U Menu?
Question 2) Will the controls still be a forced Wii Remote and Nunchuck? I can live with that.
Question 3) Will I be able to press the home button and do Wii U stuff such as posting screenshots to Miiverse? This is really important here.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Spectacle Rock posted:

Ok, someone help me out. I still have my Super Mario Galaxy 2 game disc, but just having Super Mario Galaxy 2 in digital form is super tempting for just $9.99.

Question 1) Will it boot from the Wii U Menu?
Question 2) Will the controls still be a forced Wii Remote and Nunchuck? I can live with that.
Question 3) Will I be able to press the home button and do Wii U stuff such as posting screenshots to Miiverse? This is really important here.

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) No

If you have the disc already don't get the download. Its an insanely good deal if you don't have it already, but the only benefit over the disc is that you don't have to go into Wii mode to launch it. :effort:

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Zore posted:

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) No

Thank you for the response.

Rats... I'm still tempted to buy it anyway, but I've become hooked on Miiverse. I really should save my $ though. I've got a perfectly good copy of Super Mario Galaxy 2 still on my shelf. How lazy am I to just not go walk over and get it when I want to play?

Still, I am happy Nintendo is doing this. It'll be great for people who never played these games before. But, it should have not been not too difficult to give these an "HD Upgrade" or at least an upscale. You made the game, you have the source code, can't you just recompile it with minor modifications?

If you have NEVER played Super Mario Galaxy 2, and you have a Wii Remote and a Nunchuck, don't question it, just go get it. It's really one of the best 3D Mario games they've ever made. There isn't much on story, but the levels are so much fun and pretty looking!

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Zore posted:

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) No

If you have the disc already don't get the download. Its an insanely good deal if you don't have it already, but the only benefit over the disc is that you don't have to go into Wii mode to launch it. :effort:

And it saves you the trouble of having to swap discs.

Normally I'm all against digital games but thats only because they cost the same as a retail copy. If they all cost $30 less than retail and the game is incredibly difficult to come by at its original price anyway than whatever.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

:swoon: Hello, beautiful.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

The MVP of Hyrule Warriors.

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

I only even heard about it last year. It seems pretty cool. Here's hoping.

If you never beat it, there was a way around that glitch. Though at least one other person I saw claimed the fix didn't work for them so maybe it's not universal (it worked for me). Definitely something they should fix for the digital version.

I tried a few of the different solutions I saw online and they worked sometimes, but not all the time. After 4 freezes, I ragequit and just watched the end of the game on YouTube. Pretty good game overall though

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

I was not ready

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I haven't even gotten through the first adventure map, and they keep releasing the best DLC for this game, glad I got the season pass.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I impulse bought the Hero of Hyrule DLC pack or whatever it's called today and don't really give two shits about Tingle, and I was starting to feel a little buyer's remorse until this. This is actually hilarious. Wasn't he kinda rapey in Wind Waker? Always talking about giving Link a little rear end squeeze or a sensual kiss or something?

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

enojy posted:

I impulse bought the Hero of Hyrule DLC pack or whatever it's called today and don't really give two shits about Tingle, and I was starting to feel a little buyer's remorse until this. This is actually hilarious. Wasn't he kinda rapey in Wind Waker? Always talking about giving Link a little rear end squeeze or a sensual kiss or something?

The man is not a sexual predator alright he just wants to be a beautiful fairy.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Gumdrop Larry posted:

The man is not a sexual predator alright he just wants to be a beautiful fairy.

Excuse me he is a beautiful fairy.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I'm glad Tingle has a sack of rupees as a weapon because Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland owns

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

enojy posted:

He did enslave a random dude. Really.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

enojy posted:

Ummmm... Tingle was never kinda rapey.... You projecting there a bit?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

mycot posted:

He did enslave a random dude. Really.

Tingle does whatever the gently caress he wants, man.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
Has anyone had to call Nintendo to do digital game/licenses from an old system to a new one? Long story short, I just found out that I could have system transferred everything on my old 3DSs and Wii U before I sold them over the years, but I didn't. After spending over a half hour on the phone with Nintendo, they said they submitted the request to merge my Club Nintendo accounts AND merge all my past 3DS and Wii U purchases onto my current systems... but the dude said "we'll call you if we can't do it". That makes me worried. I've read everywhere online that Nintendo is real good with this stuff, so maybe the representative was saying it because he had to. If I can get my old games back, that would be awesome!

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

RMZXAnarchy posted:

And it saves you the trouble of having to swap discs.

This is a big thing for me. I am seriously considering selling my physical copy of 3D World and buying the digital version while it's on sale just to save myself the trouble of getting off my rear end and taking out MK8 when I want to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Zonekeeper posted:

This is a big thing for me. I am seriously considering selling my physical copy of 3D World and buying the digital version while it's on sale just to save myself the trouble of getting off my rear end and taking out MK8 when I want to play it.

I don't suppose one of your new years resolutions was to start exercising?

• Locked thread