Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Nolgthorn posted:

I don't suppose one of your new years resolutions was to start exercising?

Not everybody keeps their games in the same room or the same area as their console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Nolgthorn posted:

I don't suppose one of your new years resolutions was to start exercising?

Yeah, gently caress me for liking the convenience of starting one of my favorite games directly from the menu without having to dig it out of my bookshelf first. Never mind that it becomes impossible to lose or damage the disc. It's not like those are the major selling points of retail eshop games or anything.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Not everybody keeps their games in the same room or the same area as their console.

While I'm sure this is strictly true it seems really weird, like keeping your bread very far away from your toaster.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky

Zonekeeper posted:

Yeah, gently caress me for liking the convenience of starting one of my favorite games directly from the menu without having to dig it out of my bookshelf first. Never mind that it becomes impossible to lose or damage the disc. It's not like those are the major selling points of retail eshop games or anything.

There's no need to get up set.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
How much space does Galaxy 2 take up on the hard drive?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
1300-odd MB, it's like 1.4 gigs.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Austrian mook posted:

Ummmm... Tingle was never kinda rapey.... You projecting there a bit?

Look I'm not trying to start any fights here, but you have to bust him out of jail in WW for a reason.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I know Mario games aren't really big on the story, but as someone who never played Super Mario Galaxy should I aim to play that before playing Galaxy 2?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Your Computer posted:

I know Mario games aren't really big on the story, but as someone who never played Super Mario Galaxy should I aim to play that before playing Galaxy 2?

No. SMG2 literally is in a different universe from SMG.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Your Computer posted:

Yes but only because it's an amazing game as well.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

codenameFANGIO posted:

Yes but only because it's an amazing game as well.

I'm actually still on the edge about buying it, the reason I've never played any of the games are because the one time I tried Galaxy it made me dizzy and carsick :(
Since the game costs so little however, it might be worth it to try it out since maybe I'll get used to the whole spinning around business :shrug:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Galaxy 2 is better than the first game in every conceivable way so don't worry about skipping it

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The cool thing about them adding Wii games is that they can give those away as Club Nintendo rewards too

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

absolutely anything posted:

Galaxy 2 is better than the first game in every conceivable way so don't worry about skipping it

alternative: More Galaxy is always a good thing so play both of them.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Is this really a common thing people think? I liked Galaxy 1 a lot better. Probably because it was still fresh at the time though, Galaxy 2 felt like more of the same.

They're still both amazing, but I kept my Galaxy 1 disk and not my Galaxy 2 disk.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Is this really a common thing people think?

Yes.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Austrian mook posted:

alternative: More Galaxy is always a good thing so play both of them.

This is what's up.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I want Super Mario Galaxy U more than I want world peace.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Galaxy 1 is firmly in that Mario Sunshine camp for me where I don't hate it but I don't really like it either

i realize this is not a widely held opinion but the other thing where 2 is totally and completely better is

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

i realize this is not a widely held opinion but the other thing where 2 is totally and completely better is
I honestly had no idea. Galaxy 1 is one of my favorite games ever and I remember not being deep enough into Galaxy 2 to get all the stars and just getting bored. I did beat Grandmaster Galaxy on a friend's save though.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

please play mario galaxy, in all of its forms

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Austrian mook posted:

I want Super Mario Galaxy U more than I want world peace.

Super Mario U-niverse

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Galaxy 2 is, in every way, an improvement over 1.

They're both really good and totally worth your money though.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I honestly had no idea. Galaxy 1 is one of my favorite games ever and I remember not being deep enough into Galaxy 2 to get all the stars and just getting bored. I did beat Grandmaster Galaxy on a friend's save though.

I had to force myself to play through Galaxy 1 long enough to beat the last boss, I never even got all the stars. Sunshine and Galaxy seriously had me doubting whether or not I even liked Mario games anymore until Galaxy 2 happened and I spent like 3 days straight just tearing through it until I had 100%.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I should take this opportunity to play Galaxy 2 again probably

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Is there anyway to access the Wii's Virtual Console if I don't have a WiiRemote?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I think the way you revisit levels and do comets and go around the hub world make Galaxy 1 feel more repetitive and tedious than it really should. It's weird. Galaxy 2 has a feeling of constantly seeing new exciting ideas.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Galaxy 2 has comets too though. And star requirements that force you to replay at least a few levels.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

enojy posted:

I impulse bought the Hero of Hyrule DLC pack or whatever it's called today and don't really give two shits about Tingle, and I was starting to feel a little buyer's remorse until this. This is actually hilarious. Wasn't he kinda rapey in Wind Waker? Always talking about giving Link a little rear end squeeze or a sensual kiss or something?

What the gently caress

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Looper posted:

What the gently caress

Canon.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

enojy posted:

I impulse bought the Hero of Hyrule DLC pack or whatever it's called today and don't really give two shits about Tingle, and I was starting to feel a little buyer's remorse until this. This is actually hilarious. Wasn't he kinda rapey in Wind Waker? Always talking about giving Link a little rear end squeeze or a sensual kiss or something?

I'm thinking you're getting your childhood memories a bit mixed up there

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
One other thing that Galaxy 2 did was introduce Mario players to the majesty of Beep Blocks.

Beep Block Skyway from 3D World is like my favorite Mario level of all time but the idea came from Beat Block Galaxy which is also a really good level.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Buy Mario Milky Way Galaxy you fools

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

So is an amiibo worth getting if I don't care about little plastic things that I'll probably just step on and inflict great harm to my feet?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

space marine todd posted:

So is an amiibo worth getting if I don't care about little plastic things that I'll probably just step on and inflict great harm to my feet?

Not really.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

My library has video games, and they just added Captain Toad to their database with tag "ON ORDER." I placed a hold and I am number 1 in line. Yesssssss.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Fritzler posted:

My library has video games, and they just added Captain Toad to their database with tag "ON ORDER." I placed a hold and I am number 1 in line. Yesssssss.

The gently caress kinda super future library do you have?

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

noirstronaut posted:

The gently caress kinda super future library do you have?
A public library in Kansas?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Fritzler posted:

A public library in Kansas?

You sure they didn't just sell it to Gamestop between visits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

space marine todd posted:

Nah. It's doing cool stuff with Codename S.T.E.A.M. for the 3DS in a few months, but it's the only really "major" thing they do. If you don't know, S.T.E.A.M. is being developed by the Fire Emblem dudes, so if you grab a Marth Amiibo and scan him in, you can add Marth to your little army in the game. That goes for the other 3 FE Amiibo, too (Robin, Lucina, Ike.)

Jumping off from that functionality bullet point, I understand how much extra work all of that is but I hope going forward these figures will begin to do more things like that. I think 8 bit Toad in levels is cute and all but that's not gonna sell someone who doesn't already think Toad is the poo poo. I think Toad is the poo poo so I'm going to get him, but you know what I'm saying.

• Locked thread