Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe2zrleCV84

Rami and Star_ hosed around on Star_'s stream.

Xenogenesis posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure energy screwdriver is the highest raw DPS weapon in the game; only problem is it's got the hitbox of a screwdriver.

Also http://thronebutt.com/ looks like the start of a potentially cool daily run tracking site, and it already shows your overall leaderboard ranking (just as expected, i am gutter trash)

This is also cool so quoted for new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I hosed around with Cheat Engine last night just to see how crazy this game can get with max everything and loops on top of loops, and FUUUUUCCCCKKKK it gets crazy. That, and I got the Laser Gatling, and it was just an endless crazy loving apocalypse, and it was beautiful.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
So here's something that isn't exactly written on the tin for Fish's ultra mutation, it can make enemies drop med chests as well as both types of ammo chest. Also it seems like the roll allows you to avoid contact damage sometimes (might only be with throne butt.)

Wilko
Dec 3, 2013

:toot:
Goddamn, anybody have any tips for the 5_3 boss when playing as Melting? I can get there pretty consistently but die immediately every time he shows up.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
boiling veins helps, and I always try to lure him to land around a corner so I can actually dodge his torrent of shots. Lil' Hunter is a giant bitch though.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Boiling veins is mostly important for when he dies, but you can actually shoot his body as it's spiraling around to push it away from you and (hopefully) into a wall. It's good to know that he really doesn't have that much health, only a bit more than a snow tank; with scarier face you can one-shot him with a heavy crossbow or heavy slugger, you can two shot him with an energy sword or hammer (oneshot if you have laserbrain). Really just unloading into him with whatever you have will usually kill him pretty quick. And as said above, make sure you're near some corners, and if you spawn in a room with lost of enemies, run and gun your way out of there and find a secluded spot to fight him.

One thing that bears repeating is how good strong spirit is, it is legitimately the best mutation in the game right now, bar-none. In a way it has obsoleted rhino skin for me most of the time; for me having strong spirit and bloodlust, or even just plutonium hunger provides much more than 4 extra max health ever could. It has really changed up the balance for a lot of the characters, Melting is obviously much stronger with it and can reasonably get by even without iron skin, Rebel can constantly hurt herself down to 2 health to maximize medkit drops and benefit from more allies, and Chicken can avoid losing her head and has a much better chance of entering a level at low health and living to find med-chests to restore max health.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Yeah, strong spirit is a game-changer, super good. It made robot even better, because you can just tank poo poo until you hit 1 HP, eat a gun to restore it above 1 and you're back in the game. Especially with his throne butt!

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
So is the Throne's second phase part of the next loop? I just got this game and have gotten past the first throne fight but dying to dumb stuff on the second phase. I checked my stats and apparently the game counted that as a win, loop, whatever.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Trilin posted:

So is the Throne's second phase part of the next loop? I just got this game and have gotten past the first throne fight but dying to dumb stuff on the second phase. I checked my stats and apparently the game counted that as a win, loop, whatever.

It's floor 0_0 as I understand it, so I guess so.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!

AndroidHub posted:

There isn't really a "worst" character, unless you're talking about who is the hardest to play (it's Rogue [maybe my favorite character]) everyone has unique advantages and in some cases disadvantages. However some characters are closer to the baseline as far as basic stats go, and their specials don't give them a unique method of augmenting their damage or survivability, I'd say fish and plant, and to a lesser extent eyes fall into this sort of description, all other characters either have a significant way to enhance their damage output, or a special way to avoid damage. This is purely speaking about performance out of the box, with throne butt eyes and plant bring something significant to the table, fish still falls short though. I think they should consider adding iframes back to his roll, maybe if only as one of his ultra mutations, otherwise I don't really know what they could do to him without majorly changing him.

I'm working on this theory that if you get Eyes plutonium hunger before 1-3 you can farm max level off of Horror really easily.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
Lil' Hunter has ended more runs than I care to admit. God damnit.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

AndroidHub posted:

e: I've discovered that I actually really like the energy screwdriver, it seems like it gets much more range with long arms than the regular screwdriver and with laser brain it can do 44 damage per swing. I always sort of scoffed at it, but I gave it a chance in a few runs and it pleasantly surprised me.

Yeah, I got to the Place_2 for the first time by beating the poo poo out of everyone with the energy screwdriver. I only died because I was loving around with Chicken's bullet time. Good times.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Nevvy Z posted:

I'm working on this theory that if you get Eyes plutonium hunger before 1-3 you can farm max level off of Horror really easily.

Enemy horror can and will run out of rads to shoot at you, then it just does a charge attack like when the big green rats have spawned all of their little ones.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
So I can't seem to figure this out, either through the OP or the Steam page. Is this game a shoot-em-up with random powerups (mutations) or an action roguelike?

The way people talk about 'levels' makes it sound like some sort of Contra type thing where you're going through the same predefined levels and the variety comes from which character/mutations you have?

Unless I'm totally off base and missing something?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Its basically a very fast twinstick shooter, the random levels take 30 seconds to 2 minutes at most. You have different characters with slightly different powers, and a few mutations you can shoose from every levelup.
If you played Teleglitch its basically the same, except a lot faster. You die super quickly.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

WarLocke posted:

So I can't seem to figure this out, either through the OP or the Steam page. Is this game a shoot-em-up with random powerups (mutations) or an action roguelike?

The way people talk about 'levels' makes it sound like some sort of Contra type thing where you're going through the same predefined levels and the variety comes from which character/mutations you have?

Unless I'm totally off base and missing something?

It's an action roguelike. Just like for instance binding of isaac, levels come in a set pattern: first the desert, followed by sewers, scrapyard, crystal cave, etc. Each map is randomly generated and populated, but the enemy types and hazards are set per level. If you level up you get a mutation that you keep until you die, after which you start from scratch.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Not to get into a big discussion, but permadeath does not equal roguelike, which is literally the only roguelike element in this. As a rule of thumb if something isn't turn-based it isn't a roguelike, it's really that simple, and it's pretty rare to see a turn based game that isn't a roguelike identified as such.

tl:dr it's the former because the latter doesn't exist

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 14, 2015

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!

AndroidHub posted:

Not to get into a big discussion, but permadeath does not equal roguelike, which is literally the only roguelike element in this. As a rule of thumb if something isn't turn-based it isn't a roguelike, it's really that simple, and it's pretty rare to see a turn based game that isn't a roguelike identified as such.

It's more like a 1 life game, because multiple life games have implied permadeath when you run out.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

AndroidHub posted:

A game can have roguelike elements (or influences, whichever you prefer) without actually being a roguelike. Vlambeer themselves have described this game as a roguelike-like, haven't they?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Roguelike doesn't mean like Rogue anymore

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's a Roguelite.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

NT is a pretty awesome roguelike. Steriods is my go to, but I almost never see the Strong Back mutation. I'm also not that big a fan of his Throne Butt.

Any tips for the levels (purple with the glowy green rad guys) before what I assume is the Throne? I always seem to go down to waves of glancing green globs without making any huge mistakes.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

quote:

It's an action roguelike.

The levels are of similar "types" but with procedurally generated layouts - think Spelunky.

Most of the variety comes from the character you choose, the weapons you find, and which of the three randomly available mutations you choose at level up, although some bosses only appear on some levels under certain conditions and there are several "bonus levels" you can find yourself in.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 14, 2015

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

please do not discuss what is or what is not a roguelike in this thread, thanks

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Ignore: Meant to edit, accidentally quoted.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Samopsa posted:

please do not discuss what is or what is not a roguelike in this thread, thanks

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Holy balls this is really fun. Hard as hell but really fun. It's like Binding of Isaac only faster and I hate the game less (for now).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Just picked this up. Pretty fun, although it's pretty bullshit how easy it is to die on a level clear (by everything exploding when the portal opens).

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

As somebody who has played a whole lot, it's worth the ammo to just shoot cars on sight as you clear the level (particularly on ice levels...), you'll usually kill a few enemies with the explosions doing this too.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I like to carry a grenade launcher specifically for blowing up flamethrower blocks. Those things are absolutely joyless when they RNG in just the wrong way, like on one half of a two-tile corridor or creating burning plaid in a fighting area. This is a great game but those flame blocks feel like such an unpleasant speedbump, like they linger too long and aren't very fun to work around.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Reiley posted:

I like to carry a grenade launcher specifically for blowing up flamethrower blocks. Those things are absolutely joyless when they RNG in just the wrong way, like on one half of a two-tile corridor or creating burning plaid in a fighting area. This is a great game but those flame blocks feel like such an unpleasant speedbump, like they linger too long and aren't very fun to work around.

Boiling Veins nullifies them as well as most of the damage from explosions

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Color Printer posted:

Holy balls this is really fun. Hard as hell but really fun. It's like Binding of Isaac only faster and I hate the game less (for now).

I've found this game to be vastly more difficult than Binding of Isaac so far.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
This game is great, and it's good to see a full thread for it. Vlambeer is an impressive developer, too, and I respect what they've done with early access here a lot - streaming development, taking a ton of input, constant updating. They have a knack for making games that have a really tight, visceral feel to them (see also Luftrausers).

Rami has said they have a surprisingly deep backstory to everything in the game, lore where all of the characters make sense in the game world and whatnot.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What I think I like the most about the game is that it's just arcadey. Deaths are meaningless because you can hit one button to restart. There's no attachment to your character until you get to loop 2 billion or something. There's no complex RNG or unlocks past the easy peasy character unlocking. The game and the gameplay are contained in bite-sized chunks and don't leave those chunks to bleed over into the next play session. It's real easy to pick up and put down because it's a lightweight game that loads in an instant and can be played through in its entirety in one session if you don't die (but you will die, over and over).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

StarkRavingMad posted:

This game is great, and it's good to see a full thread for it. Vlambeer is an impressive developer, too, and I respect what they've done with early access here a lot - streaming development, taking a ton of input, constant updating. They have a knack for making games that have a really tight, visceral feel to them (see also Luftrausers).

Here's a presentation about some of the things they do to have this effect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJdEqssNZ-U

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

The most tragic run

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Heads up, a thing I just learned: If you get a golden weapon but don't like the character you got it on, you can transfer it by starting a co-op game with player 1 as the golden weapon holder, drop it and have player 2 pick it up, and then have both characters die. It'll save the weapon for whoever is holding it on death!

And that's how I moved my golden wrench from Steroids to Chicken!

edit:

Also, you can transfer YV's golden revolver to other people. He always starts with it no matter what so you have infinite copies to give away!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 16, 2015

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

First time I've taken crown of blood and not died horribly, probably thanks to really solid mutations and what might be my favorite set of weapons for looping, the Energy Sword and Ultra Revolver. I took the crown of blood on 3_2 of my first loop after getting the crown of destiny. I think there is something to be said for not having long arms, I was mostly just swinging wildly while running around the rooms, which long arms would not have allowed. In terms of the meta-game I'd probably put crystal up towards the top with horror, the potential for 18 health and teleporting really does a lot for survivability.

I would say crown of blood is good for getting high kill scores, but it just makes every stage way too dangerous to be worthwhile, maybe if it upped the size of the stages too, but as it is you'll spawn into a level and enemies will be literally wall to wall.

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 16, 2015

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

AndroidHub posted:

I would say crown of blood is good for getting high kill scores, but it just makes every stage way too dangerous to be worthwhile, maybe if it upped the size of the stages too, but as it is you'll spawn into a level and enemies will be literally wall to wall.

But more enemies means more fun, thus making Crown of Blood the Best modifier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Xenogenesis posted:

But more enemies means more fun, thus making Crown of Blood the Best modifier.

I always pick up Crown of Blood and then die in the next level and it's still the best crown.

• Locked thread