Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

How is paperback? It looks interesting

It's quite good - I've brought it out in a lot of different settings, and it's usually quite popular.

We usually play with a "simultaneous play" variant where you all take your turn at once, with the first person to complete their word getting first shot at a "one-big deck" market. We also up the starting hand size to six. These changes make the game go quite quick, and makes the focus a little more on building big words. With the base game, you can quite often do well making repetitive short words if you're good at deckbuilding in general (which doesn't really suit what we're looking for with this game).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow

echoMateria posted:

Then what city of The States has the best living enviroment for a gamer when all things are considered?
Seattle is stuffed with nerds and has three board game cafes (that I know of so far), one of which has in-store prices about halfway between MM/CSI and FLGS retail. It's always among the first to get Amazon delivery experiments like "2 hour delivery" or "lockers" etc. And if you are a fan of Magic and/or Warmachine, this is their home. PAX is a solid con for a board gamer too, if you can manage to get tickets.
On the downside, if you're a cheapskate like me the cheapest sources of games are on the opposite side of the country so free shipping is usually 7-8 business days.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

goodness posted:

Anyone have a copy of Dominion they are looking to sell? About to pick up Takenoko for 34$ (good price?) and wanting to see if I can find Dominion for cheaper than 30$.

Cardhaus has Takenoko for $33 and Domion for $28.

Actually it seems like Cardhaus has pretty much the best prices on everything right now (free shipping at $125).

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Diosamblet posted:

Seattle is stuffed with nerds and has three board game cafes (that I know of so far), one of which has in-store prices about halfway between MM/CSI and FLGS retail. It's always among the first to get Amazon delivery experiments like "2 hour delivery" or "lockers" etc. And if you are a fan of Magic and/or Warmachine, this is their home. PAX is a solid con for a board gamer too, if you can manage to get tickets.
On the downside, if you're a cheapskate like me the cheapest sources of games are on the opposite side of the country so free shipping is usually 7-8 business days.

I really miss having Cardhaus in Lynnwood. When I lived in Bellingham, I used to order stuff from them and pick it up on my way down to Seattle.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

echoMateria posted:

Then what city of The States has the best living enviroment for a gamer when all things are considered?

Philadelphia area is quite good. I could play with a good group just about every night if I wanted to.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I guess Vlaada helped playtest Robinson Crusoe. And apparently he consulted on Nations development. I'm pretty interested in that one, it kind of sounds like it does to Through the Ages what Eclipse does to Twilight Imperium?

Eh.... that's far higher praise than Nations really deserves.

Nations is not a streamlined TTA. It's the components of TTA modified slightly and then used to make a different game that is more turn-by-turn tactical, less about long term engine building and very number-crunchy. In a world without TTA it would probably deserve to be held up as an amazing game. In a world with TTA however, it suffers from being neither streamlined enough, interesting enough or well produced enough to be worth recommending. If anything, it feels like a precursor to TTA, not a successor. Before I picked it up, I read a bunch of reviews on BGG and was confused about why people were so meh about something that looked so perfect. Now I get it. It's just kind of uninspired.

I would love it if someone would do to TTA what Eclipse did to Twilight Imperium.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Megasabin posted:

Do we have a board game trading thread? I think I've seen it mentioned once or twice.

There is one in SA-Mart here. Make sure you're familiar with the specific rules to SA-Mart here.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

T-Bone posted:

Cardhaus has Takenoko for $33 and Domion for $28.

Actually it seems like Cardhaus has pretty much the best prices on everything right now (free shipping at $125).

Cardhaus does have slightly better prices now that I checked, but their shipping is 14$ compared to TheWarStore's 7$ shipping.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I'm actually not sure a streamlined version of TTA is really desirable in a sense, because at least for me the length and scope is a big part of why I enjoy it so much. I was looking forward to Nations but I then realised I didn't really want to cut anything back. In my mind Eclipse and maybe Clash of Cultures are the games which satisfy the same itch in less time, despite sharing only one major mechanism, because despite the inclusion of a map they are all still great thematic civ games. TTA is just the longest and deepest IMO.

Looking forward to see what they do with TTA second edition though - I think the game can be improved, but not sure cutting it down is the way to do it.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So far other than a few fringe cases here and there around my hometown most nerd poo poo seems to go down in Arlington which is kind of a long drive for me :(

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Echophonic posted:

I may or may not have a copy of Roll for the Galaxy coming in from my FLGS. They said they'd do it, but I didn't have confirmation and they didn't take any info. So we'll see. If they don't have it ordered at least, I'll probably do Amazon and save 15 bucks.

It's bad, try before you buy. I'm gonna do a larger write up tomorrow, but basically I couldn't find any reason to play it over normal Race.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Eh.... that's far higher praise than Nations really deserves.

Nations is not a streamlined TTA. It's the components of TTA modified slightly and then used to make a different game that is more turn-by-turn tactical, less about long term engine building and very number-crunchy. In a world without TTA it would probably deserve to be held up as an amazing game. In a world with TTA however, it suffers from being neither streamlined enough, interesting enough or well produced enough to be worth recommending. If anything, it feels like a precursor to TTA, not a successor. Before I picked it up, I read a bunch of reviews on BGG and was confused about why people were so meh about something that looked so perfect. Now I get it. It's just kind of uninspired.

I would love it if someone would do to TTA what Eclipse did to Twilight Imperium.

Nations doesn't deserve to be held up as an amazing game in any world. It's horribly designed; each age being identical to the last but with bigger numbers, a failure to do well in Age I leaves you playing catch-up the whole game and can trigger a death spiral that has you effectively eliminated by the end of turn 2.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

All this talk about B&M stores vs. Internet shopping is funny to me, because for me it's the complete opposite. I am normally the kind of insufferable nerd who thinks that walking into a physical store is terribly outdated, but since there is no Swedish Amazon website and I have to pay for international shipping, it's actually cheaper and more convenient for me to just go to the FLGS and pick what I want.

If they have it in stock :negative:

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

Rexides posted:

All this talk about B&M stores vs. Internet shopping is funny to me, because for me it's the complete opposite. I am normally the kind of insufferable nerd who thinks that walking into a physical store is terribly outdated, but since there is no Swedish Amazon website and I have to pay for international shipping, it's actually cheaper and more convenient for me to just go to the FLGS and pick what I want.

If they have it in stock :negative:

I use http://braetspilspriser.dk/ you can change to swedish in the options, I've bought a lot of stuff from webhallen since their prices are a lot lower than LGS and they have a shop in Copenhagen.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

echoMateria posted:

Berkeley CA has two stores, both with game nights.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
If Miniature Market wasn't a ten minute drive away, I'd be a much richer man. :(

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

:monocle: This changes everything!

e: Or at least changes the fact that I am hosed if webhallen/Dragon's Lair doesn't carry what I want, because price-wise it's the same+shipping. Still better than shipping from abroad, though.

Rexides fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jan 15, 2015

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

echoMateria posted:

Seattle, no questions asked

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Well, it isn't just literal table space, I've yet to be in an FLGS where the people working had more than a cursory knowledge of board games and only seem to hang out with and entertain collectables players. It always feels more like they just keep poo poo in stock because they have to.

Must be a minis store then first and foremost - there's one of those around here I stopped in at after hearing a commercial on the radio that said BOARD GAMES. Turns out the board game section was a tiny little 5x 5 box with a corner open to walk into, the entire rest of the store was nothing but minis, terrain, and a huge wargaming table area. Luckily there is a fairly successful board game chain that has 3 stores within 20 miles - owned/ran by one of the guys that runs Minion Games, or something. Generally has a lot of games, and i'd like to support them more if I could - I try to order through them most of the time, the unfortunate issue being they usually don't have the games I want on the shelf.

In other news I got Kemet on the table last night with my regular group, seemed to go over pretty well despite some initial confusion over a couple of things that cleared up as we played - one of the guys seemed offput that you have to have surviving units to get the battle VPs - I went heavy red and had crusade so I was loading up on damage/attack stuff - managed to get the giant scorpion and the extra free damage tile, and he usually attacked me for some reason despite him going big into blue, so I usually played the damage battle cards to try to wipe his forces out so he doesn't get VP out of it - he kept playing damage to wipe my forces out as well instead of protection to keep his guys alive. Mostly we were trying to figure out power combos that worked well, so the game probably took some extra turns than normal.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

echoMateria posted:

Baltimore has, I poo poo you not, 20 game stores within 15 miles of city center. And they are all in the burbs so most of them have bunches of play space in-store. You are also not too far from DC/Philly for other events. We also get a handful of small conventions locally.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Tried a bunch of fresh games (to me at least) tonight:

Grog Island - Introductory point salad game. It was solid but I'd rather not play it again, as it was simple to the point of being unengaging. It's fine though - I'd say it's a good gateway game.

Sushi Go - I know I'll cop flak for this, but this is basically 7 Wonders, but with an appropriate play time. I'd play again.

Cyclades (first time with 5 players) - I first played this two player, and loved it. It loses something with 5. The player basically snuck into the win, and little happened. I'd like to give it another spin with people knowing what they're doing, but it does seem that actively attacking weakens you at the expense of others a little too much, and I don't know if I want to be playing world police, trying to stuff others from winning rather than going for it myself.

Lords of Xidit - The theme is wandering adventurers, slaying monsters and being big drat heroes. The mechanisms are pick up and deliver with programmed turns. Despite this, it's actually a really fun game, with a clever scoring mechanism that forces you to play a balanced approach. I'd play this over Runebound any time.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The End posted:

Sushi Go - I know I'll cop flak for this, but this is basically 7 Wonders, but with an appropriate play time. I'd play again.

It's basically 7 Wonders ultra-light. 7 Wonders takes half an hour, which is not long, while Sushi Go takes like ten minutes top. I love both games, but they fill different niches to me, with Sushi Go as a filler that speeds up everything afterwards (you really want to stress everyone the hell out for maximal enjoyment.), and 7 Wonders as an actual thinky game that is more of a main event (and you should not stress players unless they are way too slow.).

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I like Sushi Go! but its the definition of filler, can't play it constantly. Bonhair is right that its best played at breakneck pace.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Clockwork Gadget posted:

Game Nite is okay if you're there with a group big enough to make the dudes there care, but basically if you ain't buying $50 worth of Magics or Heroclixs for a tournament then gently caress you.

e: And they're probably the best place and town, which is the saddest thing.

No, the saddest thing was when they were in the mall, and their gaming tables were outside the store in the common space. Or at least, I got sad when I walked by the nerds on display during DnD Encounters night.

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

I have so many things on my social calendar these days, it is difficult to know which you are making reference to, in particular.

Lord Frisk posted:

Seattle, no questions asked

I'm going to go ahead and ask a question anyway: what makes Seattle so great?

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

Clockwork Gadget posted:

If Miniature Market wasn't a ten minute drive away, I'd be a much richer man. :(

Try working there.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Clockwork Gadget posted:

The Hobbytown near me is moving into the strip mall that my super market is at (no idea why), but I have a feeling the decision between food or games by me will be made poorly :ohdear:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Schizoguy posted:

Wizards owns Seattle. It's got a huge amount of game stores per capita. There's nothing to do there except:
    Heroin
    Make fun of Portland
    Play nerd games

I thought there was also one of the major retailers based out there, but I'm at work / lazy as gently caress

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Chicago has a load of different game meetups as well as an abundance of stores. Plus, the winter is awful enough that you can justify staying in and working on your Netrunner decks.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Bubble-T posted:

I like Sushi Go! but its the definition of filler, can't play it constantly. Bonhair is right that its best played at breakneck pace.

Fun fact: Uno is funny if played at a breakneck pace too. You just need one guy to be the dealer and deal out inappropriate amounts of punishment cards for any delay longer than one millisecond, and even more cards for mistakes.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

No, the saddest thing was when they were in the mall, and their gaming tables were outside the store in the common space. Or at least, I got sad when I walked by the nerds on display during DnD Encounters night.

I loved DnD encounters mostly because I had a great group, the guy who ran it was an ex-Navy guy who did electrical work on Submarines, a very upbeat cosplay-happy girl, a guy who restored and sold classic cars and myself. There were other people who cycled through but it was a a awesome group of well-adjusted nerds who didn't smell and enjoyed the game.

Then I moved for work and tried encounters at a store local to me......................and I never went back....

Schizoguy posted:

Well I know that Wizards of the Coast corporate headquarters is in Washington so there probably is a large entrenched gamer population there.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Anyone know how the board game scene in Atlanta is? I moved here 3 years ago, but never dug too deeply. I haven't noticed any game shops with game nights, but then again I wasn't looking super hard cause I was just starting medical residency

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
The North Carolina Triangle area is a big area for gamers. Since we have tech/bio-tech, duke, UNC, and NC state here it lends itself well to a good player base for things other than collectibles. One of the stores here is pretty much about wargaming and the owner supposedly runs one of the biggest ASL e-commerce sites. Definitely the only store I've ever been to that all of the games were separated into time periods. For an area of its size, the Triangle has a ton of board gaming at local stores or meetups.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

sonatinas posted:

The North Carolina Triangle area is a big area for gamers. Since we have tech/bio-tech, duke, UNC, and NC state here it lends itself well to a good player base for things other than collectibles. One of the stores here is pretty much about wargaming and the owner supposedly runs one of the biggest ASL e-commerce sites. Definitely the only store I've ever been to that all of the games were separated into time periods. For an area of its size, the Triangle has a ton of board gaming at local stores or meetups.

I'm not sure if it's in the triangle, but some of the best gaming stores I've been to have been in NC. It helps to have a ton of soldiers around. Nobody spends like a soldier.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Lord Frisk posted:

I'm not sure if it's in the triangle, but some of the best gaming stores I've been to have been in NC. It helps to have a ton of soldiers around. Nobody spends like a soldier.

What cities? Most of the military stuff is on the coast. The triangle is Durham, Raleigh, and Chapel Hill.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I was near Wilmington but traveled over to Cape Fear. It appears NC just had a bunch of stuff going on.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Lord Frisk posted:

I was near Wilmington but traveled over to Cape Fear. It appears NC just had a bunch of stuff going on.

NC has a metric fuckton of colleges in its larger cities. The Charlotte area alone has around 20 colleges, not including for-profits like Charlotte School of Law. Greensboro has at least 6 that I can think of off-hand, not including for-profit colleges or GTCC. So there is a large influx of nerdy youngish kids relative to a lot of regions.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Megasabin posted:

Anyone know how the board game scene in Atlanta is? I moved here 3 years ago, but never dug too deeply. I haven't noticed any game shops with game nights, but then again I wasn't looking super hard cause I was just starting medical residency

I know there are active Netrunner and X-Wing scenes, since I occasionally feel like driving into Atlanta for a tournament. Atlanta Game Fest is next weekend, if you feel like spending $45 to hang out with nerds for 4 days.

Arnm616
Dec 4, 2004
You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake.

sonatinas posted:

I am also in the Triangle, what shops host good game nights? Most of the stores I have found (Game Theory, Event Horizon) seem to mostly do M:tG or Warhammer but not much board gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Arnm616 posted:

I am also in the Triangle, what shops host good game nights? Most of the stores I have found (Game Theory, Event Horizon) seem to mostly do M:tG or Warhammer but not much board gaming.

Game Theory has adult board game night on Tuesday. Atomic Empire has theirs on Monday. Gamer's Armory i think is on Wednesday.

In general , just don't go on Friday nights because that's where the stores make their magic money. If you're into RPGs and stuff they all also have specific nights for those.