Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
The one shot Nigeria had of getting the West to collectively give a poo poo about it was it's burgeoning oil industry out in the Gulf of Guinea. However between that stagnating from organized crime, piracy, and good old fashioned African corruption, and the rise of cheap American fracking oil, they are on their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Didn't Nigeria refuse military assistance?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Equine Don posted:

Didn't Nigeria refuse military assistance?

IIRC, Goodluck Jonathan wanted us to come in and solve all of his problems for him and told us to gently caress off when it became evident that all we really wanted to offer was intelligence and drone strikes.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

I love ancient mil hist and even I didn't read most of that.

For you plebeians, that was the Melian Dialogue from the Thucydides classic History of the Peloponnesian War. It's basically the OG description of what is now known today in IR theory as realism.

If you're too lazy to read the whole thing here's the key takeaway: "while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

Zeroisanumber posted:

IIRC, Goodluck Jonathan wanted us to come in and solve all of his problems for him and told us to gently caress off when it became evident that all we really wanted to offer was intelligence and drone strikes.

Also we were planning on putting some relatively minor restrictions on that stuff along the lines of "you aren't going to be able to use this to help you completely wipe out entire villages in the northeast."

He didn't like that.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
Those goddamn imperialists putting strings on their billions of dollars

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

iyaayas01 posted:

Also we were planning on putting some relatively minor restrictions on that stuff along the lines of "you aren't going to be able to use this to help you completely wipe out entire villages in the northeast."

He didn't like that.

ManMythLegend posted:

good old fashioned African corruption

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Apparently the Nigerian govt gets upset when people have the audacity to point out that Nigerian security forces have been responsible for just as many (if not more) deaths of non-combatants as Boko Haram.

And not like "oops we droned a wedding" non-combatants, we're talking "we took every 'military-age male' in a village, lined them up outside of town, made them dig their own graves, and then slit their throats. Also we filmed the entire thing."

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

iyaayas01 posted:

Apparently the Nigerian govt gets upset when people have the audacity to point out that Nigerian security forces have been responsible for just as many (if not more) deaths of non-combatants as Boko Haram.

And not like "oops we droned a wedding" non-combatants, we're talking "we took every 'military-age male' in a village, lined them up outside of town, made them dig their own graves, and then slit their throats. Also we filmed the entire thing."

Shouldn't we be making them fight each other while we take all their resources?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

iyaayas01 posted:

it kind of worked for russia?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Yes, and whoever's left alive can then be shipped out to say, Iraq, where they'll act as local bogeymen and distract the natives from your nefarious colonial dealings.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

So status quo then?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

isn't china all up in africa's poo poo for resources and not us?

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Bolow posted:

Yea but thats like an open secret because its problematic in a highly institutional way to notice non westerners doing things like that.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Bolow posted:

They are there too, yes. To say that we, as in "American companies" are not is an overstatement. In reality it's more that China gives zero shits about the nature of who they're dealing with. They don't care if it's a legitimate government ( :lol: ) or some local, genocidal warlord whereas western companies worry about blowback so it takes more effort for them to hide it.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
China is kind of behind the 8 ball in that they are in 18th century "I dont care how many child soldier's hands you cut off deliver the rubber now" looting mode while US companies are in "Hey knock it off or we'll bribe someone else" mode.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Also Western companies also have to (in theory) at least pretend to find a way around whatever law(s) from their country they're breaking by doing business with human rights violators, Chinese companies get active encouragement from their government to deal with those types as long as they're offering the best deal.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
A massive amount of the resources that are taken from Africa by unscrupulous slopes end up in Western pockets anyway, all the Manganese in Gabon gets bought up by the Chinese and the majority of it ends up in the US.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Satelite imagegry from Nigeria showing one of the villages where 2000 people has been massacred the last weeks:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Well all we're doing with France is saying 'wow thats bad.' We had the "wow thats bad" moment for Nigeria when they stole all those girls. Now they just need the political will to go kill the poo poo out of them.

hey, you guys remember when we asked them nicely on facebook and twitter to bring back all those girls and then they went and started using them as suicide bombers instead?

ManMythLegend posted:

The one shot Nigeria had of getting the West to collectively give a poo poo about it was it's burgeoning oil industry out in the Gulf of Guinea. However between that stagnating from organized crime, piracy, and good old fashioned African corruption, and the rise of cheap American fracking oil, they are on their own.

I went to college with a Nigerian guy who loved to point out how wrong the US was for invading Afghanistan (but not Iraq for some reason) and how much better life in Nigeria was. Then I found out that his dad cozied up to a bunch of generals during the Nigerian Civil War and used it to get exclusive drilling rights for a large amount of their oil supply, which explains how this kid wound up attending one of the most expensive schools in the US despite being eligible for exactly zero financial aid and not having a scholarship.

psydude fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jan 15, 2015

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Everytime I see pictures of wrecked poo poo in Oklahoma all I can think of is the old NES game Tiger Heli from my youth because the first two levels were just you blowing up houses and Russian tanks in the 'burbs.

The 80s were pretty cool

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Tiger Heli owned except the game just repeated once you got to the "end". No congrats or game over or anything! Not that I ever could have made it that far without cheats in the first place but come on!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Tiger Heli owned except the game just repeated once you got to the "end". No congrats or game over or anything! Not that I ever could have made it that far without cheats in the first place but come on!

The size of these games averaged a couple hundred kilobytes, and you want an end screen squeezed in? Use your imagination kid.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
Oh France

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/french-comedian-to-be-tried-after-charlie-hebdo-gag/ar-AA8avJt?ocid=ansnewsreu11

quote:

PARIS (Reuters) - A French comedian is to be tried on suspicion of glorifying terrorism after writing on Facebook he felt "Charlie Coulibaly", a word play combining the widespread "I am Charlie" vigil slogan and the name of one of the three gunmen.

Amedy Coulibaly, whose name inspired the joke, killed a policewoman and four customers at a kosher shop last week in Paris, two days after two gunmen shot 12 people at and near the offices of the Charlie Hebdo newspaper.

Prosecutors launched an inquiry on Monday into the comment by Dieudonne M'bala M'bala, who has already faced accusations of anti-Semitism and mocked the killing of U.S. reporter James Foley by Islamic State militants.

He was detained for questioning earlier on Wednesday and prosecutors said in the evening he would face trial.

His lawyer Jacques Verdier told BFM-TV that arresting him for the "Charlie Coulibaly" comment was "completely out of proportion". If found guilty of glorifying terrorism, Dieudonne could face up to seven years in jail.

Dieudonne drew international attention last year after former France striker Nicolas Anelka celebrated an English Premier League goal with a salute popularised by him and which critics say had an anti-Semitic connotation.

The Paris-born son of a Cameroonian father and French mother, Dieudonne says he is not anti-Semitic.

He has been repeatedly fined for hate speech in France where local authorities in several towns have banned his shows as a threat to public order.

Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said this week European officials should work more closely with Internet companies to eliminate hate speech and content glorifying terrorism.

More than 3.7 million people marched through the streets of France on Sunday, many of them holding "I am Charlie" signs to honor the memory of the Charlie Hebdo journalists, policemen and shoppers killed by the Islamist gunmen.

(Reporting by Chine Labbe and Nicolas Bertin; Writing by Ingrid Melander; Editing by Mark John and Alison Williams)

Evil Queen Bee
Sep 7, 2011

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30840160

It looks like the Belgians are getting in on the act.

quote:

Two people have been killed in an anti-terror operation in the Belgian town of Verviers, media reports citing officials say.

A third person was wounded, according to Belgian TV.

A source in the mayor's office told AFP news agency that "an operation is under way". Another official said the raid was "jihadist-related".

Witnesses reported hearing heavy gunfire for several minutes and at least three explosions.

Reports on social media said there was a heavy police presence in the town centre.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Riots in Armenia over [drunk, stoned, insane, all three] Russian soldier doing a Robert Bales on a family of civilians in the Russian garrison town of Gyumri. At least one killed, shots fired.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Does africa ever have 'battles'? It seems like they just take turns committing murder

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Reverand maynard posted:

Does africa ever have 'battles'? It seems like they just take turns committing murder

They had loving trench warfare going on in the 90s between Ethiopia and Eritrea.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Reverand maynard posted:

Sometimes bands of the murdering child soldiers run into each other between villages they plan on setting ablaze.

This is a good read - http://www.amazon.com/Long-Way-Gone-Memoirs-Soldier/dp/0374531269 - dude is a very good writer, but it's hard to tell how much of it he's making up versus "man that is more hosed up that humanely possible." Probably a mix of both. I took most of the events happening as real but was skeptical of his role in them, since his stories are basically about how he was the baddest most stone cold killer 12 year old possible.

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Well all we're doing with France is saying 'wow thats bad.' We had the "wow thats bad" moment for Nigeria when they stole all those girls. Now they just need the political will to go kill the poo poo out of them.

lol

"All we need is the will, then we will be victorious against this nebulous concept and ever shifting group of people."

Also pretty sure lots of people are being killed by us anyway.

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 15, 2015

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Reverand maynard posted:

The Second Congo War was bloody as gently caress.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Sometimes I wonder if Africa or the ME will ever get its poo poo together and consolidate, bit like the MEC in BF2.

Then I pledge, slurring all the while, never to drink Green Russians again.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

WarpedNaba posted:

Sometimes I wonder if Africa or the ME will ever get its poo poo together and consolidate, bit like the MEC in BF2.

This is why I read this thread, the fact-driven analysis from people who've really lived it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I lived Battlefield 2. The J-10 is bullshit.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Reverand maynard posted:

What's your definition of battle, and what timeframe are you talking about?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Battle of Clit-Chop Hill.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
Understanding different cultures.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

priznat posted:

I lived Battlefield 2. The J-10 is bullshit.

yeah well I survived a Titan explosion in the future climate wars

we all have burdens to carry

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

VikingSkull posted:

yeah well I survived a Titan explosion in the future climate wars

we all have burdens to carry
I got 100% after my Skilcraft jetpack failed and I fell two miles into a puddle of mud and got squished by a giant robot. But hey, now I've got a nuclear reactor instead of a digestive tract and my girlfriend says I'm better than ever with my robo dick! Plus, I can drink all I want so long as I remember to change out my liver filter every 40-50 beers. Thanks, VA!

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.
I went to the VA for this headache, and now I've got cybernetic arms and legs.

I never asked for this. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

50 Foot Ant posted:

I went to the VA for this headache, and now I've got cybernetic arms and legs.

I never asked for this. :(

Don't go lifting anything crazy. You still have a normal back.

• Locked thread