Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?

Barudak posted:

Just to be sure you're aware there is no save importing for Dragon Age Inquisition. You go to the vault website, click your choices then upload that set of decisions to be downloaded when you start a new game. I'd hate for you to slog through DA2 just to find that out.

Oh yea I know. I just wanted to replay origins and 2 went on sale so I picked it up knowing it wasn't going to be good yet it still managed to disappoint me. I'm more interested in the story and love the lore. If not I would just run through the main story and ignore side quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've been playing Ziggurat recently which is a first person shooter roguelike-style game with a wizard theme, and it's similar to Binding of Isaac except way better than that game. It's very fast paced and generally about circle strafing around enemies while keeping your crosshair focused on them, not unlike Serious Sam but with more strafing than backpedaling.

However playing on hard mode is starting to show a lot of design problems sprinkled throughout. The game has a lot of enemies who get homing attacks, but because the game is first-person (unlike a schmup for example), you can't actually see the projectiles behind you and have no way of knowing if you're going to run into a bunch of them at once while dodging other attacks headed for your face. Sometimes a ton of homing projectiles will end up getting grouped together while looping around behind you, so they'll just alpha strike you out of nowhere and kill you from almost max health.

The game also likes to spawn enemies pretty much anywhere as long as they're more than a couple centimeters away from you, so it will spawn enemies behind you if you move forward in a room at all. There's no radar so just like with projectiles you can get hit from the back really easily, and sometimes the game spawns enemies with an arbitrarily buffed stat like speed, so if it spawns one with extra damage you can again get killed by an alpha strike you couldn't see coming. There can be enough shots flying at you just from the front that it's pretty much first person bullet hell, so taking a moment to spin around and make sure you aren't going to get ganked from behind is not always doable.

It also has random mutator effects that appear on some rooms, which can absolutely dick you over for no apparent benefit. For example one mutator makes the room be incredibly dark so you can only see a few meters in front of you, which is ridiculously difficult to deal with in a bullet hell-style game. Or just making enemies giant with 3x the health. There are beneficial mutators too but they don't keep a promising run from being ended because you got the darkness mutator and then it spawned a super-damage version of an already difficult enemy.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
So it's a roguelike.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kaubocks posted:

Freedom Planet actually does a really good job about this and it actually sounds like characters are interrupting each other.

Shame about the story being borderline unwatchable and insanely long. I switched over to Arcade or Classic or whatever mode it is that cuts out the story after I beat two levels because I couldn't deal with it.

That game had great Sonic/Jazz Jackrabbit style gameplay but oh god the story. Hearing your three sparkledogs squeal "SUSHI!!!!" was one of the most cringe inducing gaming moments I've ever come across. What really killed that thing for me was the insane difficulty spike on the boss of the ice level. Add in the fact that if you run out of lives or just decide to quit and come back later you'll have to play this annoying schmup section at the beginning of the level again. I just quit after a few attempts because it didn't even feel like I was making progress.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

JebanyPedal posted:

It's really dumb when a character is talking and is supposed to be cut off or interrupted by another character but because of idiot audio design all they do is have the character stop at a word, videogame pause, and then the other character start talking.
Audio doesn't overlap, they don't have the other character trail off or make it seem like there was some kind of sentence they were finishing.

It can be worse. In one in-engine cutscene in Cataclysm, they try to avert this by having one character talk over another in an audio clip. Unfortunately, because it's an in-game cutscene with a lot of stuff going on, it's quite possible your computer will lag enough so the next audio clip doesn't play in a timely manner. Thus you get a conversation like this (genericized to avoid spoilers):

Character A: This is a thing I'm sayi--
Character B: Yes, yes...

Character B, continued: ...that's a thing you're saying.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I imported a copy of Gundam Breaker 2 and there's one stage for the life of me I can't S-Rank. It's driving me mad because the problem, as far as I can tell, is simply that the stage has gently caress all for enemies. There are very few and if you want to get a good rank in it you have to drag out every fight for absolute maximum score. To cap it off this stage has the most obnoxious boss in a video game I've fought in a while. A giant two-wheeled ship that charges around the arena, while charging it's invincible and it spawns enemies that ride around in little wheels that like to hit you and stunlock you if you aren't constantly on the look out for them. Oh and the boss is only vulnerable for a few seconds so you usually get stunlocked by the wheely fucks trying to shoot it.

As far as I can tell there isn't even any good reward for getting an S rank on this mission since it's an early one.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

FredMSloniker posted:

It can be worse. In one in-engine cutscene in Cataclysm, they try to avert this by having one character talk over another in an audio clip. Unfortunately, because it's an in-game cutscene with a lot of stuff going on, it's quite possible your computer will lag enough so the next audio clip doesn't play in a timely manner. Thus you get a conversation like this (genericized to avoid spoilers):

Character A: This is a thing I'm sayi--
Character B: Yes, yes...

Character B, continued: ...that's a thing you're saying.

There are a couple of times in Alpha Protocol where one character interrupts the other when they start talking, but that may not have been intentional.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Nuebot posted:

So I imported a copy of Gundam Breaker 2 and there's one stage for the life of me I can't S-Rank. It's driving me mad because the problem, as far as I can tell, is simply that the stage has gently caress all for enemies. There are very few and if you want to get a good rank in it you have to drag out every fight for absolute maximum score. To cap it off this stage has the most obnoxious boss in a video game I've fought in a while. A giant two-wheeled ship that charges around the arena, while charging it's invincible and it spawns enemies that ride around in little wheels that like to hit you and stunlock you if you aren't constantly on the look out for them. Oh and the boss is only vulnerable for a few seconds so you usually get stunlocked by the wheely fucks trying to shoot it.

As far as I can tell there isn't even any good reward for getting an S rank on this mission since it's an early one.

Having played some of the Gundam games on PSP, I'd assume there's some stupid hidden objective with a crazy specific unlock sequence. :v:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RillAkBea posted:

Having played some of the Gundam games on PSP, I'd assume there's some stupid hidden objective with a crazy specific unlock sequence. :v:

It's possible, but not that likely. The Breaker games are more arcadey so you blast through stages blowing dudes up or cutting them apart at your leisure, and you get more points for blowing limbs off so on a stage with very, very few enemies you kind of have to dismember your enemies which is hard if you're too strong. But so far that's the only stage like that, every other boss and level has been really fun. It is super grindy though, at least the grind is fun.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

So it's a roguelike.

Ideally a roguelike makes each death feel like your own fault.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Planetside 2: The intentional 3 or 4 second delay between entering a vehicle/changing seats and being able to exit/swap to another seat. If I jump into my vehicle and really need to get into a gunner seat I have to wait, it gets so bad that constantly mashing the key will result when I finally get into the loving gunner's seat I will get a notification that I want to trade seats with myself. Or if I jump into my vehicle and something happens that if I don't get right the gently caress now, cause SOE can't balance for poo poo and just makes everything die really easily so they don't have to deal with balance, I can't no matter how much I mash the exit vehicle key. Nope I have to loving wait 4 seconds, good thing every single vehicle in the game can die in a quarter of a second!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Leal posted:

Planetside 2: The intentional 3 or 4 second delay between entering a vehicle/changing seats and being able to exit/swap to another seat. If I jump into my vehicle and really need to get into a gunner seat I have to wait, it gets so bad that constantly mashing the key will result when I finally get into the loving gunner's seat I will get a notification that I want to trade seats with myself. Or if I jump into my vehicle and something happens that if I don't get right the gently caress now, cause SOE can't balance for poo poo and just makes everything die really easily so they don't have to deal with balance, I can't no matter how much I mash the exit vehicle key. Nope I have to loving wait 4 seconds, good thing every single vehicle in the game can die in a quarter of a second!

Pretty sure that's not intentional, Emerald has just been laggy as gently caress today (/this week?)

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Interruptions are weird because the obvious thing to do is to do the exact same thing they do is movie scripts - give the voice actor the complete line to say, then when you actually go into audio editing, have it suddenly cut off into the next line.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

Pretty sure that's not intentional, Emerald has just been laggy as gently caress today (/this week?)

It really feels like something coded in the game, its always consistent and has been annoying me for years. Just when I first started playing I eventually stopped with vehicles all together, then recently started playing Connery where its possible to use vehicles against the near bot like playerbase and trying to jump from driver to gunner to driver again leaves me sitting there for a few seconds unable to do anything.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
Why Dragon age inquisition? Why don't you have tool tips!

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp
The thing dragging Inquisition down for me is that despite playing on a huge tv I still can't read half the codex/journal/book/etc flavour text things when they pop up on the screen because the font size is so dang small.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

slingshot effect posted:

The thing dragging Inquisition down for me is that despite playing on a huge tv I still can't read half the codex/journal/book/etc flavour text things when they pop up on the screen because the font size is so dang small.

Now and then there's a bit of text that proves that Inquisition is perfectly capable of using a font that's easily readable even on my lovely TV; it just chooses not to.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

slingshot effect posted:

For some reason, every game had to have to tiniest font the instant high def game console came out. Dead Rising is infamous for it. GTA V is really bad about it too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dead Rising was infamous for it because it was just so early that a lot of people didn't have HD TVs so there was a bunch of unreadable text on their screen.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Alien Isolation has the same problem on PS3. Terminals are unreadable unless you scrunch up close to the screen.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
FFXIV's Ramuh Extreme fight.

There's a mechanic where two people will get "chaos" as a status effect and need someone with a thunderstorm aoe on them to run over and zap them so they can be freed. Anyone in the party can get it so you usually put numbers above peoples head so we all know who's responsible for it - someone with a lower number will run over and zap while higher numbers will move away. If you stack more than one thunderstorm you will probably murder several people. You can imagine how well that goes when the vast majority of people playing dps classes in this game think the only thing they're responsible for is murdering everything, including your own healers.

Getting the fight cleared is so rare that even when you do finally make through and can get loot everyone flips their poo poo and fucks each other over. I got together a group that could get through the fight, we finally make it and the item I needed dropped. We had all called which item we wanted before hand which means that nobody else is supposed to try to get it. Who loving rolls and steals it from me? The goddamn melee dps that murdered everyone. He then tried to weasel his way out of it by going on about "oops I forgot who called what teehee." That's the 6th time my item has been stolen.

Goddammit Ramuh. Why are you a prerequisite for the Shiva Extreme fight. Now I can't ever farm for items because everyone just wants to be carried through that fight once and never do it again. The Ramuh weapons are some of the nicest looking in the game too.

edit:
Ramuh's white mage staff

Shiva's ugly rear end white mage staff

Horrible Smutbeast has a new favorite as of 15:38 on Jan 15, 2015

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Other people have said it, but loot is pointless in Inquisition. Everything you find will be massively outclassed by crafted items bar a few, usually store sold items. You can't even break down items so they're just glorified trinkets to be sold.

Also the Knight Enchanter is so outrageously overpowered that Nightmare becomes a joke and you can solo 3 dragons higher level than you with no sweat while your dead allies are lying around you.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

FFXIV's Ramuh Extreme fight.

There's a mechanic where two people will get "chaos" as a status effect and need someone with a thunderstorm aoe on them to run over and zap them so they can be freed. Anyone in the party can get it so you usually put numbers above peoples head so we all know who's responsible for it - someone with a lower number will run over and zap while higher numbers will move away. If you stack more than one thunderstorm you will probably murder several people. You can imagine how well that goes when the vast majority of people playing dps classes in this game think the only thing they're responsible for is murdering everything, including your own healers.

Getting the fight cleared is so rare that even when you do finally make through and can get loot everyone flips their poo poo and fucks each other over. I got together a group that could get through the fight, we finally make it and the item I needed dropped. We had all called which item we wanted before hand which means that nobody else is supposed to try to get it. Who loving rolls and steals it from me? The goddamn melee dps that murdered everyone. He then tried to weasel his way out of it by going on about "oops I forgot who called what teehee." That's the 6th time my item has been stolen.

Goddammit Ramuh. Why are you a prerequisite for the Shiva Extreme fight. Now I can't ever farm for items because everyone just wants to be carried through that fight once and never do it again. The Ramuh weapons are some of the nicest looking in the game too.

edit:
Ramuh's white mage staff

Shiva's ugly rear end white mage staff

This is why rolling for drops is and will forever be the most retarded mechanic in MMO history.

I was considering trying FF15 but if this is how loot works I won't bother(no I didn't play WoW), Guild Wars 2 loot is utter poo poo 99% of the time but its your pile of poo poo.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Alteisen posted:

This is why rolling for drops is and will forever be the most retarded mechanic in MMO history.

I was considering trying FF15 but if this is how loot works I won't bother(no I didn't play WoW), Guild Wars 2 loot is utter poo poo 99% of the time but its your pile of poo poo.

Normally if you go premade everybody calls and trusts each other. If you gently caress up and steal you get booted and never get invited to another run again. If you go with randoms it's a free for all roll fest to see who can steal whatever items they can get their grubby hands on. It's a piss off when you do several runs with someone only for them to steal something they didn't need simply because they could. At the very least they could steal the item they actually wanted and disappear!

If they implemented a system for premades where you can pre call loot where you automatically get it if it drops I would never play any other mmo ever again.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

JebanyPedal posted:

Other people have said it, but loot is pointless in Inquisition. Everything you find will be massively outclassed by crafted items bar a few, usually store sold items. You can't even break down items so they're just glorified trinkets to be sold.

Also the Knight Enchanter is so outrageously overpowered that Nightmare becomes a joke and you can solo 3 dragons higher level than you with no sweat while your dead allies are lying around you.

That's just called being a Mage.

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:
Playing Divinity: Original Sin.
I have two female characters, so what the hell is this male voice that keeps commenting on how edgy I am for stealing stuff, and how I should learn to wash my underwear whenever I level? And why does he do it so goddamn often?
See also: stopping in an area where some npcs are bantering. Jesus F. Christ, shut the gently caress up already.

And all the women are wearing heels, which looks dumb as hell.

Shaking lemur butt has a new favorite as of 01:53 on Jan 16, 2015

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with MGS3, but one thing I'm not a fan of is the new survival viewer. It's rather cumbersome to use and inventory management is not fun. If something is not in my immediate inventory, I tend to forget about it, so I'll die/waste a bunch of pistol ammo because I forgot the shotgun or assault rifle was in my backpack.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Shaking lemur butt posted:

Playing Divinity: Original Sin.
I have two female characters, so what the hell is this male voice that keeps commenting on how edgy I am for stealing stuff, and how I should learn to wash my underwear whenever I level? And why does he do it so goddamn often?
See also: stopping in an area where some npcs are bantering. Jesus F. Christ, shut the gently caress up already.

And all the women are wearing heels, which looks dumb as hell.

That snarky male voice is a piece of equipment, some boxers or trousers or whatever. It doesn't have any mechanical benefit, so it is safe to take off even before you get something to fill its slot.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Tunicate posted:

Ideally a roguelike makes each death feel like your own fault.

The only roguelike I've played that's good at this is Doom The Roguelike.

Which is a really fuckin good game and everyone should play it.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Alteisen posted:

Non-instanced loot is a mindbogglingly bad mechanic and I have no idea how it still exists in anything other than local multiplayer games. Even in local multiplayer it sucks.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Elysiume posted:

Non-instanced loot is a mindbogglingly bad mechanic and I have no idea how it still exists in anything other than local multiplayer games. Even in local multiplayer it sucks.

I agree, it totally sucks, but I think the logic behind it is that it's supposed to suck. If you have to run the same raid 12 times before you can get your piece of loot, that's that much more time you're playing (and spending money on) their game. Otherwise you run through the raid once, get your gear, and move on, which means developers need to create that much more end game content when they would rather you run each dungeon multiple times.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I wonder if that's part of the reason that traditional MMORPGs are not relevant in the 2010s the way they were in the 2000s.

MMORPGs are universally loving bad games and I wonder if gamers at large are starting to catch on to that.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'd keep playing the raids if the raids were fun. But they are almost universally miserable.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

MMORPGs are universally loving bad games and I wonder if gamers at large are starting to catch on to that.

Don't hold your breath, long grind times and being completely hosed by the RNG is still strong in MMOs. Hell if you read the FF14 forums (don't) there are a ton of nerds who want things the old way when the game was even more grindy and spergy, and even the players who aren't suffering stockholm syndrome from 1.0 went and outright boo'd the head guy on stage for announcing he was making some of the raids easier

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RyokoTK posted:

I wonder if that's part of the reason that traditional MMORPGs are not relevant in the 2010s the way they were in the 2000s.

FF14 is insanely popular so probably not.

quote:

I'd keep playing the raids if the raids were fun. But they are almost universally miserable.

Also this, wasting 4 hours to non stop wipes due to retards is not my idea of fun.

I feel the biggest reason Guild Wars 2 has been the most successful post WoW MMO it didn't do any of that crap, loot is instanced, no raids, no roles, everyone can heal or support in a group if it calls for it, it is in bad need of more content after 2 and a half years.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Alteisen posted:

FF14 is insanely popular so probably not.

Also this, wasting 4 hours to non stop wipes due to retards is not my idea of fun.

I feel the biggest reason Guild Wars 2 has been the most successful post WoW MMO it didn't do any of that crap, loot is instanced, no raids, no roles, everyone can heal or support in a group if it calls for it, it is in bad need of more content after 2 and a half years.

GW2 does have raids and they gateway your crafting and stuff though, and since they're all super old content it can be almost impossible to do them unless you're playing with friends because the randoms will literally refuse to do it unless you're either so over-geared you have no real reason to do them or you pay them for the privilege of being in their party.

That and having nothing else to do (because I couldn't get any raid materials) but kill the same dragon every few hours really dragged down GW2 for me.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
GW2 doesn't have raids, are you referring to fractals perhaps?

The only raid boss content are Tequalt and the Wurm and Tequalt has been around so long even random pugs can do him now.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

No, not fractals, the catacombs. They call it a dungeon but it's the same thing in the end.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
A(nother) thing dragging Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate down: the inane damage system. Most weapons deal physical and elemental damage. You'd think that if you have e.g. 750 physical damage and 250 elemental damage, you'll deal roughly 25% of your damage from the element. Turns out that elemental damage is actually divided by 10 for some reason. It also turns out that every weapon class (longsword, hammer, etc.) has a hidden physical damage multiplier. So a 750/250 longsword is actually dealing 227/25, and a 750/250 hammer is actually dealing 144/25. Then there are some weapon types that have additional, extra damage multipliers, such as sword and shield dealing 6% bonus damage on cutting attacks.

And that's all ignoring that every monster has different physical and elemental resists for each body part. That parts not so bad, it's the ridiculous hidden multipliers on everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nuebot posted:

No, not fractals, the catacombs. They call it a dungeon but it's the same thing in the end.

What Catacombs dude? :confused:

The only Catacombs in the game are the Ascalonian Catacombs which is a level 30-35 its the easiest dungeon in the game, party of 5 people only.