Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Colonel Cool posted:

The answer to all "how does a half-that exist?" is always "polymorph". If it works for a dragon it'll work for a golem.

Golems are immune to most magic. Polymorph included. Anyway I explained how it works

This guy

Rumda posted:

Prosthetics.
Is more or less correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

DR 5 Silver seems a little weak compared to Haley's +5 arrows bouncing off. Should be something DR 10+ to get that effect. Crystal's probably something house-ruled.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

jng2058 posted:

DR 5 Silver seems a little weak compared to Haley's +5 arrows bouncing off. Should be something DR 10+ to get that effect. Crystal's probably something house-ruled.

Wouldn't be the worst idea Bozzok's idea to gear out the now-more-formidable nemesis of Haley's when she's sent to....kill Haley

mcswizzle fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 13, 2015

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Yeah, Crystal's probably an anti-Haley golem. That's why Bozzok launched the attack when Haley was separated from the larger group, and why her first action was to take out Elan.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

jng2058 posted:

Well Clay Half Golems get DR 10/silver and immune to piercing and slashing damage. So maybe she just has clay parts hidden. But yeah probably house Ruled.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Or maybe she's not a half-golem, since that that involves a live body with a head that hasn't been stitched back together, while dead body -> golem is an established process that's been set up but wasn't expected here.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

Portfolio domains: War, Sex, Shoelessness

Ephemeron posted:

But I thought Banjo didn't want to join the pantheon?
My apologies. Correction, there are already two gods in the party.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

MonsterEnvy posted:

Pretty much Golem limbs are made and infused with the golem magic that makes them Golems. Then the Golem limb is attached to the person that will become a half golem. Then they have to make a will save for each limb attached or go evil and crazy.

EEEEVIL HAND

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Colonel Cool posted:

"It took 16 days to make this"?

I hate to be that guy complaining about web comics, but I can't help it, this glacial update pace is excruciating. I know it won't matter once it's a book, but in the meantime I wish there was a magic pill or something that would just make me forget all about OotS for an entire year, then there would be a backlog of...I dunno 15, maybe even 20 updates to read and that would be nice. :sigh:

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
What precisely is the medical condition Rich has again?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Cornwind Evil posted:

What precisely is the medical condition Rich has again?

Unspecified though most people think its Crohn's from some of the comments he's made about it.

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009

Cliff Racer posted:

Man, the new art-style sure is loving ugly. Haven't warmed up to it at all.

I think the art style is fine, but man, I am finding the new chapter to be pretty plodding. It seems there are scarcely any jokes and no real plot twists happening. Everything is set up to the next strip, which is set up to the next strip, and so on.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Zore posted:

Unspecified though most people think its Crohn's from some of the comments he's made about it.

I thought it was related to the hand injury he had a year or two ago that completely stopped updates for a while. I think he said that he may never get full utility of his drawing thumb back.

Granted, by now he should know where he is at and should be in a routine with it. But I don't remember hearing about any other debilitating disorder of his.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Nah Rich has been having nebulous intestinal problems for a long time now.

The pain from crohn's can be pretty debilitating so people have assumed it's that but no one actually knows because Rich hasn't said much of anything.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Okay, so I finished up War and XP's, and in the final note I came across what I (personally) think is the final bit of proof that Miko is as much an innocent victim as Xykon's parents, warped and twisted (possibly on purpose) by forces beyond her control into the so-called 'villain'. Let's look at why she's a villain and why people hated her so much.

1) Arrogant, self-righteous, and zealous, passing judgment on everyone and believing her way of doing things is best and should be forced on others if need be.

2) Believes she has a 'great destiny' and will change the facts to suit her viewpoint.

3) So delusional she fell and refused to believe she did anything wrong.

4) Is, in general, a bitch.

Now what is Miko? A paladin of the Twelve Gods. In War and XP's final bit from Rich, he says this.(important parts in bold)

Rich Burlew posted:

There's a certain degree of 'what goes around, comes around' at play here, too. Azure City stood as a nation dedicated by all that was good and holy...but in many ways, failed to live up to its own ideals. Scratch the surface just a little, and you found a leader who ruled with lies, a paladin who believed herself infallible, and a ruling class willing to abandon the people when push came to shove. Most damning, though is the decades long history of paladins exterminating entire villages of goblins and other humanoids at the behest of their gods (a point that is seen directly in the pages of Start of Darkness). That the city's undoing should be orchestrated by Redcloak, a villain that they themselves accidentally created, is only fitting. The Twelve Gods may have sanctioned the paladin's massacres, but even the gods can't stop Karma from kicking them in their divine asses once in a while.

As I pointed out earlier, the scene we see in Start is horrific, and could easily be applied to evil bandits massacring a village. The paladins see the goblins as subhuman ('subhumanoid'?) and hence, completely beneath any sort of notice or care, some even cracking jokes as they kill them. It's the most classic form of war-training; make the enemy seem like 'less' so people won't hesitate to kill them/wipe them out, etc. So, from Rich's own mouth, the Twelve Gods sanctioned the paladins...except in a forum post he ALSO says:

Rich Burlew posted:

Everything you see happened....However, everything that happened is not necessarily seen. Suffice to say that the Twelve Gods are not beholden to put on the same visual display they did for Miko for every paladin who transgresses, and that all transgressions are not created equal. It is possible that some of the paladins who participated in the attack crossed the line. It is also possible that most did not....Of course, while Redcloak is not narrating the scene, it is shown mostly from his perspective; we don't see how many Detect Evils were used before the attack started, and we don't see how many paladins afterwards try to heal their wounds and can't...Dramatically, showing no-name paladins Falling at that point in the story would confuse the narrative by making it unclear whether or not Redcloak had already earned a form of retribution against them. To be clear, he had not: Whether or not some of them lost a few class abilities does not change the fact that Redcloak suffered an injustice at their hands, one that shaped his entire adult life. That was the point of the scene. Showing them Fall or not simply was not important to Redcloak's story, so it was omitted.

So some paladins behaved so badly they may have indeed Fallen...except why where they even there? What made them act in such a way that they Fell? A paladin should know, above all else, what should make them Fall, yet every paladin there went off and killed Redcloak's village to a man in the manner shown in Start without any awareness at all that they could Fall. The Twelve Gods told them 'Yes, go wipe them out', and then afterwards told some 'Sorry, you wiped them out TOO HARD, you're fired.' They're contradicting themselves, refusing to admit it, and blaming the victim afterwards. Now, I don't know just how much wisdom and understanding one should apply to the gods, but it doesn't seem wholly unreasonable that if you're going to empower them and then go TELL them to kill certain creatures (and actually create WHOLE RACES TO EASILY KILL ON TOP OF THAT), you should either 1) Give them a little guidance and nudging, that if they ignore it's on them, and especially 2) Be well aware that the flaws of the human and sentient races is you don't have to try too hard to get people to want to wipe out what they consider 'the enemy' and 'the other' to a man, as human history shows all too well.

Now let's take Miko. Due to lack of information, we have no real idea if she skipped merrily to the person we see her as when we meet her, or if life itself shoved her down that road. Whether she was naturally an arrogant bitch, or if she was a victim of Azure City's noble games, and then raised in a monastery and then trained as a paladin amongst peers who rejected her for not fitting in, she had immense potential and for whatever reason, be it arrogance or self-defense, it went to her head. The Order played their indirect role in making her worse, but you know who didn't show their hand at all? The Twelve Gods. They took a damaged young woman and blessed her with a great deal of strength that sprang directly from them, yet they never once told her, or hinted, or did ANYTHING to let her know she was not doing things properly (just like with Redcloak's village). Either showing a dangerous lack of understanding or empathy, or just not caring, they CHOSE to empower this woman, and when she was seriously starting down the wrong road (ie thinking the Order was evil), they said nothing. Now, you can argue free will all you want, but the whole point is, if you're going to grant a person your strength to act in the name of justice and law and good, you take RESPONSIBILITY for that person. The Twelve Gods did NOTHING, and Miko's fragmented mind eventually cracked and she decided Lord Shojo was the enemy and struck him down. At which point they finally showed up...to say "You done hosed up" and make her Fall. Just like they told the paladins who killed Redcloak's village 'Now go kill them all...you did it wrong, get out.' How many of us, in the exact same circumstances, would have been able to see the things that eluded Miko, the ones that seem so obvious to us as omniscience observers?

Now yes, Miko made all these decisions herself, but how many came about because of her strength as a paladin? Where was the wisdom, the compassion, the very concept a paladin should be built on? Did she WILLFULLY ignore them? Is the Twelve Gods' job to just hand over the powers and go 'Go get 'em, kid'? Do they do no screening? I know she's supposed to be a take on Lawful Stupid players, but there is a difference between a guy not understanding his class and a person who literally has a direct line to their gods who never say a thing until she falls off the cliff their presence put her on the path to. Miko failed as a paladin and a person, but the Twelve Gods ensured she would, just like any paladin who was left wondering why they had no powers after they brutally killed humanoids they had been told had no worth and that their gods wanted dead. If you don't understand how human beings will act when given such a mandate, then you have no drat place empowering them to do it to begin with.

Or...

This is exactly what the Twelve Gods wanted. We've already seen multiple forces making plays for the gates. It is a popular concept that 'the ways of mortals and the ways of gods are not the same' and that gods, being gods, may have to play on levels and with stakes beyond mortal comprehension and ability to accept. It would not surprise me if the gods are not as ignorant as they seem, and that forces are playing gigantic chess games, moving and sacrificing pieces as they will, just like the three fiends empowered V and set off everything that occurred mainly to 'knock Xykon out of his comfort zone'. Which would make Miko another piece to set up, move around, play, and then discard when her part is done. Which pushes what happened to her from 'questionable' to 'outright victim of higher forces using her happiness, sanity, and life, as grease for cosmic gears'.

Of course, Rich could always have said something that contradicts all this, but until I see it, it seems feasible to me.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jan 15, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cornwind Evil posted:

So some paladins behaved so badly they may have indeed Fallen...except why where they even there? What made them act in such a way that they Fell? A paladin should know, above all else, what should make them Fall, yet every paladin there went off and killed Redcloak's village to a man in the manner shown in Start without any awareness at all that they could Fall. The Twelve Gods told them 'Yes, go wipe them out', and then afterwards told some 'Sorry, you wiped them out TOO HARD, you're fired.' They're contradicting themselves, refusing to admit it, and blaming the victim afterwards. Now, I don't know just how much wisdom and understanding one should apply to the gods, but it doesn't seem wholly unreasonable that if you're going to empower them and then go TELL them to kill certain creatures (and actually create WHOLE RACES TO EASILY KILL ON TOP OF THAT), you should either 1) Give them a little guidance and nudging, that if they ignore it's on them, and especially 2) Be well aware that the flaws of the human and sentient races is you don't have to try too hard to get people to want to wipe out what they consider 'the enemy' and 'the other' to a man, as human history shows all too well.

Weren't their instructions "go and destroy the Bearer of the Crimson Mantle and his followers, they are a threat to the world"?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Weren't their instructions "go and destroy the Bearer of the Crimson Mantle and his followers, they are a threat to the world"?

As far as I can tell, the only thing we get that resembles instructions in SOD is.

Some random Sapphire Guard Paladin posted:

"Wretched goblins of these forsaken lands, the Twelve Gods have judged your hearts and found them to be Evil. Further, one among you threatens the very foundations of creation itself."

So yes, the Crimson Mantle wearer is mentioned...but the very first thing is 'You're all evil. Ergo you die to the last man, woman, and child.'

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Cornwind Evil posted:

This is exactly what the Twelve Gods wanted. We've already seen multiple forces making plays for the gates. It is a popular concept that 'the ways of mortals and the ways of gods are not the same' and that gods, being gods, may have to play on levels and with stakes beyond mortal comprehension and ability to accept. It would not surprise me if the gods are not as ignorant as they seem, and that forces are playing gigantic chess games, moving and sacrificing pieces as they will, just like the three fiends empowered V and set off everything that occurred mainly to 'knock Xykon out of his comfort zone'. Which would make Miko another piece to set up, move around, play, and then discard when her part is done.

This makes me think of Tarquin's scheme. You pick three schmucks and raise them all to power, and then script their attacks and counter attacks such that everybody is grateful to you for saving them from you. The bandits in the forest; they had a system with a big red 'shake things up' button that someone reached out and pressed. Everyone hated the new thing more than the previous thing, and they were glad to see the old status quo come back, and the old status quo doesn't have to be any good for that to happen. It's played for a laugh in the end, but it is starting to make me see a pattern. If anyone is in a position to profit from a planet full of beings whose circumstances are rigged to get them to fight each other in an eternal cycle of eye-for-eye revenge, I would think it would be the local deities.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Cornwind Evil posted:

I know she's supposed to be a take on Lawful Stupid players, but there is a difference between a guy not understanding his class and a person who literally has a direct line to their gods who never say a thing until she falls off the cliff their presence put her on the path to. Miko failed as a paladin and a person, but the Twelve Gods ensured she would, just like any paladin who was left wondering why they had no powers after they brutally killed humanoids they had been told had no worth and that their gods wanted dead.

Where is made clear that Miko has a direct line to the gods? Miko prays plenty and I don't recall any response, even at the end it was the spirit of Soon, not the gods, who spoke to her. Paladins don't come about from the gods descending from the heavens and giving the chosen one a sword, paladins choose to follow the gods and are given powers so long as they don't break the rules. It's not the gods' job to play psychiatrist to every paladin on the face of the planet and make sure none of them are thinking about doing something evil.

Cornwind Evil posted:

So yes, the Crimson Mantle wearer is mentioned...but the very first thing is 'You're all evil. Ergo you die to the last man, woman, and child.'

Yeah, and Miko said the Twelve Gods told her to escape prison when the bar was weakened. Paladins always talk about their actions being justified by the divine because paladins who don't think they're doing the will of the gods generally stop being paladins.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I never really understood why any paladins would have Fallen for slaughtering a goblin village anyway. Obviously slaughtering innocent sentient people is immoral from an outside point of view (let alone enjoying it), but this is a universe where morality is specifically derived from the gods (if not for everyone, then at least for their followers), and goblins were specifically created to be slaughtered by paladins and clerics.

I guess I can't see Miko as a pawn in some elaborate ploy by the gods, because I feel like they're barely involved in the lives of their followers at all. Durkon was the most powerful priest of Thor, and the only initiative Thor's ever taken happened after Hel put her high priest in his body and makes it do evil in Thor's name.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 15, 2015

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

At a guess, I'd imagine said Falling had to do more with how much joy they took in slaughtering an entire village than anything else, even though they were given the task by their gods.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Regalingualius posted:

At a guess, I'd imagine said Falling had to do more with how much joy they took in slaughtering an entire village than anything else, even though they were given the task by their gods.

So genocide is a-ok, but don't you dare enjoy yourself doing it?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

e X posted:

So genocide is a-ok, but don't you dare enjoy yourself doing it?

Pretty much. :v:

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
They wouldn't fall, since killing the bearer of crimson mantle added more good to the world (by putting off world destruction for a few years)

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Where is made clear that Miko has a direct line to the gods? Miko prays plenty and I don't recall any response, even at the end it was the spirit of Soon, not the gods, who spoke to her. Paladins don't come about from the gods descending from the heavens and giving the chosen one a sword, paladins choose to follow the gods and are given powers so long as they don't break the rules. It's not the gods' job to play psychiatrist to every paladin on the face of the planet and make sure none of them are thinking about doing something evil.

I consider 'empowerment' to be 'a direct line to the gods', as without them, she would not have her paladin powers. And while I don't expect the gods to micromanage every person who serves them, when someone who is an exceptionally strong servant of theirs who believes she has a special destiny in their service starts going down the wrong road pursuing that supposed destiny, even outright talking about it in her prayers, it seems horrendously lacking in responsibility if they remain completely silent until she passes the point of no return, at which point they take away her powers. She was empowered and emboldened by their silence.

I think this is mainly sticking me like a thorn because I've recently been listening to podcasts that talk about history and a point that comes up is it's really not that hard to get people wanting and desiring to kill everyone in another group until there's none left; genocide is part of our cultural history. So when you have creatures who are literally created solely to be exterminated, that there is an actual personal quantifiable REWARD for killing, whose mass killings are requested and sanctioned by the gods themselves, the supposed gods of law and good, and they don't seem to understand just what their servants will do and how they will learn to react if they are given such a blank slate. then they are failing at being Lawful Good gods (and causing their paladins to fall afterwards in a shoddy 'you should know this' fashion when no, people will NOT know this by nature most of the time. You cannot say to people 'Oh, you GENOCIDED TOO HARD.'), and by extent, they also failed Miko, who destroyed herself and who knows how many other lives because she was absolutely certain she was chosen by her gods and was doing what they wanted.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 15, 2015

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Kajeesus posted:

I never really understood why any paladins would have Fallen for slaughtering a goblin village anyway. Obviously slaughtering innocent sentient people is immoral from an outside point of view (let alone enjoying it), but this is a universe where morality is specifically derived from the gods (if not for everyone, then at least for their followers), and goblins were specifically created to be slaughtered by paladins and clerics.

I maintain that morality isn't actually derived from the gods at all. The laws of the universe (D&D ruleset) define morality and the gods are just working within that framework.

The gods didn't say "slaughtering goblins is okay". The gods just made a world where monsters would tend to be evil because of their socio-economic status and then looked expectantly at their followers.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Cornwind Evil posted:

I consider 'empowerment' to be 'a direct line to the gods', as without them, she would not have her paladin powers. And while I don't expect the gods to micromanage every person who serves them, when someone who is an exceptionally strong servant of theirs who believes she has a special destiny in their service starts going down the wrong road pursuing that supposed destiny, even outright talking about it in her prayers, it seems horrendously lacking in responsibility if they remain completely silent until she passes the point of no return, at which point they take away her powers. She was empowered and emboldened by their silence.

I think this is mainly sticking me like a thorn because I've recently been listening to podcasts that talk about history and a point that comes up is it's really not that hard to get people wanting and desiring to kill everyone in another group until there's none left; genocide is part of our cultural history. So when you have creatures who are literally created solely to be exterminated, that there is an actual personal quantifiable REWARD for killing, whose mass killings are requested and sanctioned by the gods themselves, the supposed gods of law and good, and they don't seem to understand just what their servants will do and how they will learn to react if they are given such a blank slate. then they are failing at being Lawful Good gods (and causing their paladins to fall afterwards in a shoddy 'you should know this' fashion when no, people will NOT know this by nature most of the time. You cannot say to people 'Oh, you GENOCIDED TOO HARD.'), and by extent, they also failed Miko, who destroyed herself and who knows how many other lives because she was absolutely certain she was chosen by her gods and was doing what they wanted.

You cannot blame the gods for Miko being deluded. She is not the first paladin in history or the last, and she was 100% down with believing other paladins were wrong (and attempting to murder them) if they disagreed with her, so you can't say she was justified in thinking she was right all the time because she was a paladin. She just thought she was right all the time. The gods aren't "lacking in responsibility", it's just straight up not their role to control moral affairs, otherwise Thor would have just come down himself and killed Durkon or ordered his clerics to do it or something instead of just making a lightning storm to show he was mad. Being emboldened by their silence is purely her fault, because they've never previously told her or other paladins that we know of to stop when the paladins were acting against their wishes.

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 15, 2015

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cornwind Evil posted:

In 3.5e, paladins do not get their power from the gods. They draw their might from the principles of lawfulness and goodness. You can be following your god's decrees and still fall. You can disobey them (if it's for a really, really, REALLY good reason) and not fall. That fact easily explains why a paladin can carry out their god's will and still be wrong. Gods in D&D may exemplify an alignment, but they do not decide what an alignment is, nor are the gods of D&D infallible. Alignment is more of a universal constant, rather than a set of religious dogma.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Something else I've discovered that's interesting, in a 'You are probably reading way too deeply into this but no one else is talking about anything so I might as well' sense.

The end of the paper books have a little panel at the end with one of the characters commenting about something that's usually breaking the fourth wall (Belkar talking about the next book being churned out soon, Roy not looking forward to Book 3, the MITD commenting that the scene on the front of Start of Darkness didn't actually happen), but the one at the end of Book 3 is kind of interesting in my whole 'The 12 Gods either suck at their jobs or are playing a game with reality with Miko as their pawn' theories. The picture at the end of Book 3 is Miko bowing in silence, once again dressed in paladin blue.

Just a random picture? Maybe. It could also represent Miko's self-image, that of a loyal servant of the gods who never did anything wrong and is saluting what her actions in Book 3 brought about. But as I said, if we're going to play the 'The gods play on levels no mortal can grasp' card (and while OOTS is primarily a comedy strip I think it has enough reality to make this feasible), then we're also going to have to play on a level that human morality cannot understand. My dad has a saying that while people have morals, merging them together into the abstract thing a country is means a country itself cannot have morals, it can only have 'interests'. The whole field of realpolitik is basically based around the concept of 'gently caress everyone save us, because that's everyone else's viewpoint', something that's morally horrifying. Now, I mix this with a point a friend of mine once made about the concept of God; even if said God really is all-knowing and all-loving, can we really wrap our heads around what the viewpoint of an omnipotent, omniscient being who exists outside the conventional bounds of reality as we know them is like? Is our view of love the same as such a being? Or is their viewpoint, even if we could begin to understand it, something so terrifying alien, even if it follows the same concept, that no living human mind can figure it out?

So, my issue was that the Lawful Good gods The Twelve are not good at making their viewpoints clear and that this played a role in Miko's downfall as much as, if not moreso, than her personality defects. But if they're playing a cosmic chess game to...what? Set up the Snarl in a more secure prison so creatures like the Fiends can't get at it? Destroy it for good? Save the world inside it? Who knows, it might just be to maintain the status quo. In that case Miko did everything at their nudging. SHE never fell, she never destroyed the Gate, it was all on them, carefully moving her around as they saw fit. Had things gone differently (for example, had Roy not been so vicious in his denouncement of her), they probably would have nudged her a different way. And what does she get for all this? Well, does a pawn need redemption? Maybe she really was the Gods' most loyal servant after all, and was rewarded for it in the afterlife.

A lot from one lone picture, but hey, comic books love to slip those little details with double meanings in.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Cornwind Evil posted:

the Lawful Good gods The Twelve

Pretty sure Rat was one of the Evil Gods that clued The Dark One in on what exactly the snarl was.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
After a bit of research, I surmise that Haley's fighting a Psion-Killer, which incidentally is also good at killing rogues. They're not supposed to be intelligent, but everything else fits. The Empire of Sweat was run by a psion and a rogue; maybe Bozzok had some grand designs about expansion?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

quote:

Its body is composed of [...] crystal.
Holy poo poo.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Kajeesus posted:

After a bit of research, I surmise that Haley's fighting a Psion-Killer, which incidentally is also good at killing rogues. They're not supposed to be intelligent, but everything else fits. The Empire of Sweat was run by a psion and a rogue; maybe Bozzok had some grand designs about expansion?

'Also called a Crystal Golem' haha.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cornwind Evil posted:

Something else I've discovered that's interesting, in a 'You are probably reading way too deeply into this but no one else is talking about anything so I might as well' sense.

The end of the paper books have a little panel at the end with one of the characters commenting about something that's usually breaking the fourth wall (Belkar talking about the next book being churned out soon, Roy not looking forward to Book 3, the MITD commenting that the scene on the front of Start of Darkness didn't actually happen), but the one at the end of Book 3 is kind of interesting in my whole 'The 12 Gods either suck at their jobs or are playing a game with reality with Miko as their pawn' theories. The picture at the end of Book 3 is Miko bowing in silence, once again dressed in paladin blue.

Just a random picture? Maybe. It could also represent Miko's self-image, that of a loyal servant of the gods who never did anything wrong and is saluting what her actions in Book 3 brought about. But as I said, if we're going to play the 'The gods play on levels no mortal can grasp' card (and while OOTS is primarily a comedy strip I think it has enough reality to make this feasible), then we're also going to have to play on a level that human morality cannot understand. My dad has a saying that while people have morals, merging them together into the abstract thing a country is means a country itself cannot have morals, it can only have 'interests'. The whole field of realpolitik is basically based around the concept of 'gently caress everyone save us, because that's everyone else's viewpoint', something that's morally horrifying. Now, I mix this with a point a friend of mine once made about the concept of God; even if said God really is all-knowing and all-loving, can we really wrap our heads around what the viewpoint of an omnipotent, omniscient being who exists outside the conventional bounds of reality as we know them is like? Is our view of love the same as such a being? Or is their viewpoint, even if we could begin to understand it, something so terrifying alien, even if it follows the same concept, that no living human mind can figure it out?

So, my issue was that the Lawful Good gods The Twelve are not good at making their viewpoints clear and that this played a role in Miko's downfall as much as, if not moreso, than her personality defects. But if they're playing a cosmic chess game to...what? Set up the Snarl in a more secure prison so creatures like the Fiends can't get at it? Destroy it for good? Save the world inside it? Who knows, it might just be to maintain the status quo. In that case Miko did everything at their nudging. SHE never fell, she never destroyed the Gate, it was all on them, carefully moving her around as they saw fit. Had things gone differently (for example, had Roy not been so vicious in his denouncement of her), they probably would have nudged her a different way. And what does she get for all this? Well, does a pawn need redemption? Maybe she really was the Gods' most loyal servant after all, and was rewarded for it in the afterlife.

A lot from one lone picture, but hey, comic books love to slip those little details with double meanings in.

That's an interesting idea. And "Miko was right, actually" would be a hilarious long-burn.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fool_of_sound posted:

Hahaha. Man, I hope it is that now because that's a delightfully awful pun.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zoe posted:

I hate to be that guy complaining about web comics, but I can't help it, this glacial update pace is excruciating. I know it won't matter once it's a book, but in the meantime I wish there was a magic pill or something that would just make me forget all about OotS for an entire year, then there would be a backlog of...I dunno 15, maybe even 20 updates to read and that would be nice. :sigh:

Sometimes I forget about visiting BSS for six months or so, notice the 40 or so new pages in this thread and go check the comic and find 8-10 updates, which are entertaining enough. And then I wonder how in hell are there 40 pages of discussion made out of so little actual material.

At least the Berserk thread has that new pachislot to talk about.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 20, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

New one is up.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

well that comic was pretty pointless. An ok joke but not really worth the set up.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ikanreed posted:

You're in a lawless city, and you take proactive measures against a known threat. It's cold, it's calculating, it's definitely not good, but it's justified.

This is from a few pages back, but I think the point isn't "was it right or wrong" or anything but "Haley FELT it was wrong."

unrelated where'd that come from? It's kinda funny.

Pope Guilty posted:

It's a trick, the orc baby was Corellon Larethian and now you're going to elf hell.

goblin :goonsay:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

fool_of_sound posted:

I think he's building up to it and the thread figured it out ahead of time and now I'm just waiting for him to say it :argh: