Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

DoctorWhat posted:

what happened to me

Change, my dear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Solaris Knight posted:

In less being hazed news, everyone's favorite creepy alien sex simulator is coming back!

OK, I can get behind this. Will they ever come close to CotE agian...?

Solaris Knight posted:

http://metro.co.uk/2015/01/13/torchwood-is-returning-as-a-series-of-radio-plays-says-star-john-barrowman-5020919/
Basically at a Arrow conference, John Barrowman said Torchwood. radio plays with the help of Rusty and Julie Gardner are A Thing that will happen soon.

Radio!? Haven't people heard? Video killed the radio star!

Anyways, you guys enjoy it (I think everyone here listens to the Big Audio radio plays?) and hopefully it'll be good. (Or at least consistently on for more than a year. )

More Whoniverse material is always good. (Well, we'll just forget about The Creature from the Pit, OK?)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

Nick: Okay Tom, we'll do it!
Tom: Marvelous... but we'll have to record it at my house because I'm shy :3:

That's actually not far from the truth. BF records close to Tom's home so he doesn't have to travel far.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bobkatt013 posted:

Tom the local pub is not your house.

He's bought so many pints over the years that they just gave up and gave him the deed to the place.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Sheeeeeit, I'm rewatching S5 a little ahead of Occ and I forgot how good Vampires of Venice is.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

armoredgorilla posted:

Sheeeeeit, I'm rewatching S5 a little ahead of Occ and I forgot how good Vampires of Venice is.

Great cold open with Rory’s party, and one of my favorite lines from the whole series.

quote:

Tell me the whole plan!

(sotto) One day that will work…

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I always forget about vampires. I should rewatch at some point

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Great cold open with Rory’s party

My favorite part is when The Doctor does that thing where he very awkwardly opens his mouth like he's about to say something and then stops himself right before it cuts to the credits. It's a great example of acting and editing working together to sell the joke.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Speaking of Vampires of Venice, it just got announced that Toby Whithouse wrote a double episode for this season (that doesn't count as something for the spoiler thread, right? Oxx's thread has me paranoid about anything to do with anything in future now). I think his episodes have gotten better and better as he's gone and he's still my pick for showrunner to take over from Moffat so I'm pretty pleased.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I had to go and look up which episodes Whithouse has written... and they're all really good, actually.

"The God Complex" was definitely strongest; I'd say it was a highlight of season six.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

armoredgorilla posted:

Is that the first time we learn who Amy's marrying or do they say it at the end of Flesh and Stone?

Also, reading Occ's review and him congratulating the show for having Amy and River get along makes me wonder. Do we know at what point Moffat worked out River's complete backstory?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

howe_sam posted:

Is that the first time we learn who Amy's marrying or do they say it at the end of Flesh and Stone?

Flesh and Stone. The Doctor asks if it's the good looking one or the... other one. :nose gesture:

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 14, 2015

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Eleventh hour

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Davros1 posted:

That's actually not far from the truth. BF records close to Tom's home so he doesn't have to travel far.

So they do record in the woods near Tom's house, where he takes his cats for walks and recites Shakespeare monologues!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tom's interviews about being in the special were so hilarious. Like first of all, he was like "Listen, I'm not supposed to tell anyone that I'm in that thing, but I am," and then he just seemed kind of confused by whole process of sitting around and waiting for other people to film their scenes. I really hope he lives forever so when they're filming the 75th Anniversary, he can just walk by in a key scene, tap his nose, and wink.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Bicyclops posted:

Tom's interviews about being in the special were so hilarious. Like first of all, he was like "Listen, I'm not supposed to tell anyone that I'm in that thing, but I am," and then he just seemed kind of confused by whole process of sitting around and waiting for other people to film their scenes. I really hope he lives forever so when they're filming the 75th Anniversary, he can just walk by in a key scene, tap his nose, and wink.

I love that the he himself leaked the news of his own appearance and nobody believed him. I remember pretty much everyone in the spoiler thread (me included) being like "Pfft, Tom's just blowing hot air for shits and giggles", and when it really happened it was all the more surprising and exciting because of it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Organza Quiz posted:

Speaking of Vampires of Venice, it just got announced that Toby Whithouse wrote a double episode for this season (that doesn't count as something for the spoiler thread, right? Oxx's thread has me paranoid about anything to do with anything in future now). I

This is great, great news.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

howe_sam posted:

Also, reading Occ's review and him congratulating the show for having Amy and River get along makes me wonder. Do we know at what point Moffat worked out River's complete backstory?

Around when we first found out her last name. So, I think Flesh and Stone?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
colin baker, what is happening?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Jerusalem's review of Mummy made me notice something: in that episode, a huge point is made about how trauma and mental problems are just as legitimate as physical problems, and in a far future setting no less. Which makes the issues with that one part of Forests two episodes later even worse.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

howe_sam posted:

Most accurate info I could find, courtesy of Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Song_(Doctor_Who)#Conception_and_development

quote:

The character was originally created purely for the plot of "Silence in the Library". Moffat knew that the team of archaeologists would have to trust the Doctor, but the Doctor's psychic paper could not explain and convince the team why he had appeared in a sealed-off library. Therefore, Moffat intended for the Doctor to know one of the archaeologists, but decided that idea was "dull" and instead decided to have one of them know him. When Kingston returned to the show, Moffat explained to her some details about her character's back-story, knowledge which Smith, Gillan and Darvill did not receive until later. Kingston relates that she knows her character cannot be killed off because we saw her death in her introductory episode; each subsequent appearance is set at a different point in her character's personal history. Moffat had planned out that River was Amy and Rory's daughter for "a long time" and used "Pond" as Amy's last name to create a link between the two. For the filming of the sixth series, Kingston was aware of River Song's relationship to Amy and Rory, while the other cast only found out upon reading of the mid-season cliffhanger script for "A Good Man Goes to War".

Seems like he had decided on at least some type of family connection with Amy from the start of S5. I'd guess he basically was all "Oh man, Doctor's wife, that could be cool!" while writing Silence in the library, and then developed it out from there.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
So there's a character in The Romance of Death called Spigot

and all I can think is

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Solaris Knight posted:

In less being hazed news, everyone's favorite creepy alien sex simulator is coming back!

http://metro.co.uk/2015/01/13/torchwood-is-returning-as-a-series-of-radio-plays-says-star-john-barrowman-5020919/

Basically at a Arrow conference, John Barrowman said Torchwood. radio plays with the help of Rusty and Julie Gardner are A Thing that will happen soon.

No one else noticed that this article referred to Barrowman's character as Captain Jack Sparrow? For shame, goons.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Producer V. Mignogna... that's not Vic Mignogna the voice actor, is it?

Edit: Yes, yes it is. Edward Elric playing Captain Kirk? :psyduck: I'm suddenly intrigued.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

thexerox123 posted:

Producer V. Mignogna... that's not Vic Mignogna the voice actor, is it?

Edit: Yes, yes it is. Edward Elric playing Captain Kirk? :psyduck: I'm suddenly intrigued.

I don't know how I feel but I'm interested enough to watch whatever comes from this.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

I don't know how I feel but I'm interested enough to watch whatever comes from this.

I also discovered that Todd Haberkorn plays Spock in it. (He was Ling in FMA: Brotherhood, and lots of other voice acting roles)

STC was actually talked about a bit in the Star Trek thread recently and I just glossed over the conversation... but now I definitely want to check it out!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Acne Rain posted:

Jerusalem's review of Mummy made me notice something: in that episode, a huge point is made about how trauma and mental problems are just as legitimate as physical problems, and in a far future setting no less. Which makes the issues with that one part of Forests two episodes later even worse.

How does it make it worse?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

DoctorWhat posted:

Kerwin White writing? I thought Chavo Guerrero, Jr. dropped that gimmick.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Solaris Knight posted:

A good move, since Barrowman is starting to get a bit long in the tooth to play immortal Jack. They can do them at any stage in his history as well. Too bad it's not BF doing it though. It would also be great to get RTD to start writing for BF.

What I'd love to see is a 70s (or 80s?) episode where Jack, working for Torchwood, is on the same case as UNIT with some alien invasion and has to keep narrowly avoiding the Third Doctor. :allears:

Hell, we can do Jack meets all the old Doctors! Jack meets 1 and Steven in the 60s! Jack meets 2, Jamie, and Zoe in the 30s! Jack meets 4 and Leela in the 90s! :allears: The Torchwood Companion Chronicles.

thexerox123 posted:

I also discovered that Todd Haberkorn plays Spock in it. (He was Ling in FMA: Brotherhood, and lots of other voice acting roles)

STC was actually talked about a bit in the Star Trek thread recently and I just glossed over the conversation... but now I definitely want to check it out!

It's probably the best of the fan films. They have some genuinely good episodes with excellent writing. The actors are all pro, and sets, hair, makeup are period accurate with a good mix of modern and 60s appropriate special effects. You have to buy into other people playing the roles but after the Abrams movies that's not so much of a stretch. Watch "Lolani" and if you don't like it, it's probably not your cup of tea.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Astroman posted:

It's probably the best of the fan films. They have some genuinely good episodes with excellent writing. The actors are all pro, and sets, hair, makeup are period accurate with a good mix of modern and 60s appropriate special effects. You have to buy into other people playing the roles but after the Abrams movies that's not so much of a stretch. Watch "Lolani" and if you don't like it, it's probably not your cup of tea.

Wow, they've really done wonders getting the look just right! I'm impressed, so far.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Astroman posted:

A good move, since Barrowman is starting to get a bit long in the tooth to play immortal Jack.

Well, it was established that he does age, albeit far, far slower.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Welp, time to dust off my idea for a cross over with V...

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Well, it was established that he does age, albeit far, far slower.

I really hated that, and especially the Face of Boe thing. I know, I know, continuity means nothing in this show, but as far as I recall the Doctor talks about how he doesn't like looking at or being around Jack because Jack is immortal and he's a fixture of the universe and that feels wrong to the Doctor's Time Lord senses because the universe is about change and an unchanging being shouldn't exist.

But if he ages then he's not an unnaturally eternal being and if he's the Face of Boe then he's not even immortal. So what's the Doctor got to whine about?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Organza Quiz posted:

I really hated that, and especially the Face of Boe thing. I know, I know, continuity means nothing in this show, but as far as I recall the Doctor talks about how he doesn't like looking at or being around Jack because Jack is immortal and he's a fixture of the universe and that feels wrong to the Doctor's Time Lord senses because the universe is about change and an unchanging being shouldn't exist.

But if he ages then he's not an unnaturally eternal being and if he's the Face of Boe then he's not even immortal. So what's the Doctor got to whine about?

Jack doesn't have to be physically unchanging for the universe to not let him die. And if Jack really does become the Face of Boe (and enough people hate this that I want it to be true), I reckon he woke up again five minutes after the end of Gridlock all "...well, poo poo."

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Organza Quiz posted:

The Doctor found out that Jack was (maybe) The Face of Boe at the same time we did, so I don't really see the issue here. His discomfort was just based on his own misunderstanding of what was happening to Jack.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Astroman posted:

It would also be great to get Nick Briggs to start editing RTD.

There we go.

Astroman posted:

What I'd love to see is a 70s (or 80s?) episode where Jack, working for Torchwood, is on the same case as UNIT with some alien invasion and has to keep narrowly avoiding the Third Doctor. :allears:

There's a great moment in Urgent Calls when Six is talking to someone in the 70s who is experiencing Alien poo poo and a military investigation. "They didn't bring someone along with curly hair and no dress sense, did they?"

After The War fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 15, 2015

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, I mean, a person that long-lived even by Time Lord standards is going to set off whatever magical fixture of the Universe alarm the Doctor has, even if it later turns out that he is not literally immortal.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Doctor's rejection and abandonment of Jack is one of his biggest dick moves, right up there with Peri. It would not shock me if it's not addressed and retconned similarly at some point in the next 20 years when BF eventually gets to do new series audios.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I went and looked up a transcript of the exact words since it's been a few years since I saw it and I couldn't remember exactly what was said:

Utopia posted:

THE DOCTOR:
That’s why I left you behind. It’s not easy even just…just looking at you Jack, ‘cause you’re wrong.

JACK:
Thanks.

THE DOCTOR:
You are, I can’t help it. I’m a Time Lord. It’s instinct. It’s in my guts. You’re a fixed point in time a space. You’re a fact. That’s never meant to happen. Even the TARDIS reacted against you—tried to shake you off. Flew all the way to the end of the universe just to get rid of you.

I guess that doesn't mean he can't age, but it certainly sounds to me like he can't ever die. Although I'm okay with the idea of him being the Face of Boe and waking up again a few minutes after the scene where he dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Organza Quiz posted:

I went and looked up a transcript of the exact words since it's been a few years since I saw it and I couldn't remember exactly what was said:

I guess that doesn't mean he can't age, but it certainly sounds to me like he can't ever die. Although I'm okay with the idea of him being the Face of Boe and waking up again a few minutes after the scene where he dies.

I don't think it necessarily even means he can't ever die (at least that excerpt, I can't remember if they specifically are like "yeah I knew you wouldn't die because you can't die" at some other point). The doctor deals with fixed points in time a lot, they're just usually a single moment or decision, not a person's entire existence. Maybe Jack just no longer has free will, his destiny is completely unchangable, and for his whole life every action of his is a fixed point in time. I imagine that'd skeeze the doctor out. :shrug:

• Locked thread