Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Haha Talisman? Who the heck would even play that on a tablet/phone? It's p much candy land and there's no reason to even play it without giving your IRL friends poo poo for rolling badly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

There are a lot of people who think Talisman is a great game. I don't know why.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

The Digital version on Steam can be fun since it takes care of most of the finicky stuff of the game

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

frajaq posted:

The Digital version on Steam can be fun since it takes care of most of the finicky stuff of the game

That's what I mean though: the game is already one step removed from being able to run itself as a simulation game so you might as well fully automate it at that point and see the results in a few minutes. But this isn't the board game thread and like I said its a great excuse to joke around with friends for an hour.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Talisman is pretty dull, but I unironically enjoy Relic :shobon:
GW should hand out licences for more RTS games, since Dawn of War was cool. Space Marine had fun multiplayer but the novelty wore off within a few weeks. I did develop an unhealthy adoration for the awesome claw-feet that Raptors have, and started to make a Chaos army based around those glorious armoured birdmen :allears:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Chill la Chill posted:

That's what I mean though: the game is already one step removed from being able to run itself as a simulation game so you might as well fully automate it at that point and see the results in a few minutes. But this isn't the board game thread and like I said its a great excuse to joke around with friends for an hour.

http://www.progressquest.com/play/

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

HiveCommander posted:

Talisman is pretty dull, but I unironically enjoy Relic :shobon:
GW should hand out licences for more RTS games, since Dawn of War was cool. Space Marine had fun multiplayer but the novelty wore off within a few weeks. I did develop an unhealthy adoration for the awesome claw-feet that Raptors have, and started to make a Chaos army based around those glorious armoured birdmen :allears:

I used to enjoy Relic. Dawn of War, Space Marine... But I didn't really like Dawn of War 2 and the Retribution campaigns, oh the retribution campaigns.

Not to play on the tired old joke, but if a 40K RTS was to be released today, it would only have a short Space Marine campaign, and maybe two MP races. Then you could buy other races and campaigns... as separate DLCs (already happened with Company of Heroes 2). Then you'd be able to purchase unit DLCs, skin DLCs, map DLCs and so forth. If the game was RTS like Mark of War was RTS and followed Org Chart, you bet your rear end dataslates and formations would be on sale, too :(

Here's hoping that Eternal Crusade fares better. It's esentialy Space Marine the MMORPG (Planetfall 2: Space Marine?), the shop seems to be selling mostly cosmetic poo poo, and the Free-to-Play ork boyz should help solve the inherent balancing issues. Hopefully.

GW has also released a PC version of Chainsaw Warrior, for all its worth.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I think I actually put money down on that, and never bothered to read up on what's going on with the development. I am totally down with Planetside: Space Marine edition though.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

serious gaylord posted:

No, it really isn't. You can choose to believe that, and that's your opinion, but from everything I know about the internal structure of GW, there are long and hard conversations between management levels about the direction the company is taking. The misconception comes from people who ask them and are then surprised when they say their company is great, and that yes, this £500 army is amazing because thats literally their job. Up to a few years ago one of their customer service checks was literally Be positive about GW's products, people and services. They will always be like that to john public because they never know if what they say will get repeated on the internet verbatim (It will) Privately however there are always dissenting voices.

None of this means anything when the people in charge choose not to listen to the dissenting voices or do anything that indicates they are willing to take anyone else's opinions into account.

For perspective: I once worked for a company that manufactured automotive parts for the Big 3 automakers (as well as some others). When the auto industry went into the shitter (again), there were big meetings about "what can we do to get a competitive edge against China and India" and they even hired a guy to come in and give a week-long seminar about "how to get a competitive edge on China and India". At the end of the seminar, the guy addressed the remaining people who had not been at the seminar, and said that he told the company what they needed to do, which amounted to "empower your workers, get them invested in making the company successful beyond just collecting a check, and tear down the walls between management and employee". All the middle managers and regular employees were enthusiastic about his ideas...however, upper management gave his suggestions a far cooler response. So he basically said to everyone in the room, "I told your bosses what they needed to do to change, because that's what they paid me to do. However, I don't think it's going to happen." And sure enough, it didn't.

You can have all the meetings in the world, and everyone can chime in with their opinions, but when the result at the end of the day appears to be upper management going "eh, we like the way things are going at present", it's all completely meaningless. That is what GW appears to be doing as perceived by me, the outsider (and former customer) at this point in time.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
http://www.macroaxis.com/invest/ratio/GAW.L--Probability_Of_Bankruptcy

quote:

Based on latest financial disclosure Games Workshop Group plc has Probability Of Bankruptcy of 70%. This is 86.57% higher than that of the Consumer Goods sector, and 56.35% higher than that of Recreational Goods, Other industry, The Probability Of Bankruptcy for all stocks is 62.83% lower than the firm.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Not that I totally disagree, but where are they getting that from? Seems to be kinda pulled out their asses.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

petrol blue posted:

Not that I totally disagree, but where are they getting that from? Seems to be kinda pulled out their asses.

It is.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Yeah, that's right. The mathematically generated algorithms and data of goddamn Macroaxis, an automatic data aggregation and reference site, has a personal beef with The Company and is publishing its findings written by literally 0 human beings in order to tarnish GW's reputation. Stellar deduction, gentlemen.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Yeah okay i'll just listen to a site whos algorithms gave Microsoft an 84% chance of bankruptcy 2 years ago.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

serious gaylord posted:

Yeah okay i'll just listen to a site whos algorithms gave Microsoft an 84% chance of bankruptcy 2 years ago.

The Microsoft shareholders forced out the CEO in order to make sweeping changes, because a series of disastrous flagship products/launches - Windows 8, Surface Tablet, Xbox One - was about to send the company staggering down a bad path.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

All companies have a 100% chance of bankruptcy on a long enough scale. Corporatio Morghulis

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

serious gaylord posted:

You mean the very same Microsoft that reported they took such a bath on the Surface RT tablet, they had to take a $900 million writedown on it less than a year after it was released?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

NTRabbit posted:

The Microsoft shareholders forced out the CEO in order to make sweeping changes, because a series of disastrous flagship products/launches - Windows 8, Surface Tablet, Xbox One - was about to send the company staggering down a bad path.

And this is why I don't put much stock in that site. Microsoft going to be bankrupt, wait now they're not because they did something.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

serious gaylord posted:

And this is why I don't put much stock in that site. Microsoft going to be bankrupt, wait now they're not because they did something.

I too am astonished that any company can endeavor to turn its' misfortunes around and somehow manage to avoid bankruptcy.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I too am astonished that any company can endeavor to turn its' misfortunes around and somehow manage to avoid bankruptcy.

My point was looking at that website and going 'Yep GW are dead in 2 years pack it in people we're done here' is a bit of a reach.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

serious gaylord posted:

My point was looking at that website and going 'Yep GW are dead in 2 years pack it in people we're done here' is a bit of a reach.

People are saying 'GW are dead in 2 years if they don't change course ', which is a pretty reasonable position with the known information currently at hand.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

BlackIronHeart posted:

People are saying 'GW are dead in 2 years if they don't change course ', which is a pretty reasonable position with the known information currently at hand.

Welcome to the years 2000 to 2015.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

serious gaylord posted:

The company cut costs to the bone, released several big updates and kits for their most popular game, and the net result was that profits didn't increase and actually decreased. Surely GW will be doing just fine at this rate! :downs:

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

serious gaylord posted:

Welcome to the years 2000 to 2015.

More like 'any year before 2014', since that's when the stock tanked. Look, I agree, stupid people have been saying it without good cause for years. Does that mean it's still a stupid position, given that there's current, hard data to back up the suggestion that everything isn't all roses in Nottingham?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

serious gaylord posted:

"GW Death Pool 2014-2015"

Did you forget where you are?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

OhDearGodNo posted:

"GW Death Pool 2014-2015"

Did you forget where you are?

I still have a chance at winning this!

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

serious gaylord posted:

You completely worship 40k, so maybe you'll understand the following: MS had an 84% chance of going bankrupt. In order for them to avoid it, they had to literally lose a billion dollars. They avoided it.

84% is not guaranteed. It's a 2+ save! According to your logic, it's completely impossible for a Terminator to fail his armor save. In Microsoft's case, they underwent astronomical efforts to avoid going under.

GW has cut all costs possible for them to cut. The company has expressed no desire to found a marketing department, embrace the modern gaming community, bring their manufacturing up to 21st century standards, fix the core problems of their games, obtain reliable alternate revenue streams, stop alienating their userbase, gain new customers, or implement any sort of effort to change in any of at least a hundred other ways. The company is only interested in the laziest possible moneymaking practices, none of which are sustainable strategies.

I wish you were banned. You're a terrible loving gimmick, and if you aren't a gimmick, I wish nothing but absolute agony on you. I hope you wake up to your loved one's cold corpse in the passenger seat of your car, leaving you nothing a barrage of bile and hatred from her family and a piercing trauma that gives you panic attacks each time you see the loving sun rise. The fact that a person like you could conceivably exist and is keeping this company afloat is why McCain and Palin achieved more than 0 votes in the 2008 election. You are proof that this world is hell. I would rather these forums be populated by nothing but 7thBatallions, Noctis Horrendaes, TheBluePyramids, and Hollismasons all hopped up on drugs, fashioning greenstuff teeth for each other and bashing together Hammerheads out of dog poo poo and chicken bones, than ever be confirmed that you genuinely believe the puke-ocalypse of fanaticism and horseshit that you expouse online. gently caress.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
By the way, I wanted to ask:
*How do we know that GW doesn't have a marketing department (well besides their bad business decisions)?
*Does "jewel like object of wonder" come from somewhere official?

EDIT: ^Oh wow :monocle:

JcDent fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jan 15, 2015

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'm fairly sure the reason GW doesn't want a translation of 40k to the computer, at least one of the big ones is that GW has deliberately avoided marketing their game in game terms as much as possible because even they realize their rules aren't very good.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

JcDent posted:

*How do we know that GW doesn't have a marketing department (well besides their bad business decisions)?
*Does "jewel like object of wonder" come from somewhere offcial?

The CEO proudly declared that they did no market research on the last major financial report.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

JcDent posted:

*Does "jewel like object of wonder" come from somewhere offcial?

Here are 2 direct quotes from the 2014 financial report posted by the company (which can be found earlier in this thread)

quote:

Our market is a niche market made up of people who want to collect our miniatures. They tend to be male, middle-class, discerning teenagers and adults. We do no demographic research, we have no focus groups, we do not ask the market what it wants. These things are otiose in a niche.

quote:

What will not change is the eternal desire for some always to want yet more of the small, jewel-like objects of magic and wonder that we call Citadel miniatures.

The company has literally bragged, multiple times, about their lack of a marketing department, like it's some sort of badge of honor.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

You completely worship 40k, so maybe you'll understand the following: MS had an 84% chance of going bankrupt. In order for them to avoid it, they had to literally lose a billion dollars. They avoided it.

84% is not guaranteed. It's a 2+ save! According to your logic, it's completely impossible for a Terminator to fail his armor save. In Microsoft's case, they underwent astronomical efforts to avoid going under.

GW has cut all costs possible for them to cut. The company has expressed no desire to found a marketing department, embrace the modern gaming community, bring their manufacturing up to 21st century standards, fix the core problems of their games, obtain reliable alternate revenue streams, stop alienating their userbase, gain new customers, or implement any sort of effort to change in any of at least a hundred other ways. The company is only interested in the laziest possible moneymaking practices, none of which are sustainable strategies.

I wish you were banned. You're a terrible loving gimmick, and if you aren't a gimmick, I wish nothing but absolute agony on you. I hope you wake up to your loved one's cold corpse in the passenger seat of your car, leaving you nothing a barrage of bile and hatred from her family and a piercing trauma that gives you panic attacks each time you see the loving sun rise. The fact that a person like you could conceivably exist and is keeping this company afloat is why McCain and Palin achieved more than 0 votes in the 2008 election. You are proof that this world is hell. I would rather these forums be populated by nothing but 7thBatallions, Noctis Horrendaes, TheBluePyramids, and Hollismasons all hopped up on drugs, fashioning greenstuff teeth for each other and bashing together Hammerheads out of dog poo poo and chicken bones, than ever be confirmed that you genuinely believe the puke-ocalypse of fanaticism and horseshit that you expouse online. gently caress.

:eyepop:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Broken Loose posted:

Theres no need for personal attacks just because you disagree with my opinions is there?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Broken Loose you need to calm down. :smith:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Broken Loose posted:

Broken Loose is the hero we deserve.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

WAR FOOT posted:

Broken Loose is the hero we deserve.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Jeez, Broken loose. Life is more than games and the company that produce them.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

JcDent posted:

*Does "jewel like object of wonder" come from somewhere official?

EDIT: ^Oh wow :monocle:

I think the 'jewel like objects' quote comes from the Chapterhouse guy.

Somebody's grumpy they burnt all their toys!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

quote:

These things are otiose in a niche.
Who wrote their financial report, Will Self?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Broken Loose posted:

The company has literally bragged, multiple times, about their lack of a marketing department, like it's some sort of badge of honor.

The second quote is what boggles my mind. I mean, I can understand the first one, where they say that its basically men who collect minis, but the idea that there will always be someone who will want to buy citadel minis, and ONLY citadel miniatures is crazy.

• Locked thread