Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Zeitgueist posted:

I'm thinking there might be a hardware issue with some Firesticks.

Some people have no issues, mine drops wireless network in almost every mode(I have a really nice Asus router, the signal is fine), but more importantly the Plex app has enough issues that there's a thread over on the Plex forums specifically trying to find the solution.

I also purchased a non-stick FireTV and it runs Plex 100% awesome over ethernet.

Oh good so I'm not the only one who has a Firestick and an Asus router that drops wifi all the drat time. I should try the second Firestick I bought at the same time to see if it's just Firestick + asus router = "yeah you're poo poo out of luck" I have an Asus RT-N16 router.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

havenwaters posted:

Oh good so I'm not the only one who has a Firestick and an Asus router that drops wifi all the drat time. I should try the second Firestick I bought at the same time to see if it's just Firestick + asus router = "yeah you're poo poo out of luck" I have an Asus RT-N16 router.

Mine is an RT-N66 but apparently lots of folks are having network drops regardless of hardware so my suspicion is rather that it's on the FireStick end of things.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Whats the easiest, and not too expensive, way for my gf to use Plex from her Samsung Galaxy S3 to a TV? I'm guessing one of these Fire Stick or Chromecast things would generally work the best? Or is it just easiest to get a cable that'll connect to the phone with an HDMI on the other end (esp given quite a lot of moaning about Firesticks these past few pages). I'm not able to troubleshoot any problems she has as we're apart at the moment, so I just want something easy and reliable.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

EL BROMANCE posted:

Whats the easiest, and not too expensive, way for my gf to use Plex from her Samsung Galaxy S3 to a TV? I'm guessing one of these Fire Stick or Chromecast things would generally work the best? Or is it just easiest to get a cable that'll connect to the phone with an HDMI on the other end (esp given quite a lot of moaning about Firesticks these past few pages). I'm not able to troubleshoot any problems she has as we're apart at the moment, so I just want something easy and reliable.

Chromecast. It's super simple.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Zeitgueist posted:

I'm thinking there might be a hardware issue with some Firesticks.

Some people have no issues, mine drops wireless network in almost every mode(I have a really nice Asus router, the signal is fine), but more importantly the Plex app has enough issues that there's a thread over on the Plex forums specifically trying to find the solution.

I also purchased a non-stick FireTV and it runs Plex 100% awesome over ethernet.
That sounds pretty reasonable - I'm using a stock ATT Uverse router. I have an Asus N16, that this replaced, I'll try firing it up tonight and see if it introduces issues.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Medullah posted:

Chromecast. It's super simple.

Thanks, I had a feeling that'd be the one. Luckily a friend has an Android phone, Plex and a Chromecast so I have someone local with experience.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Thanks, I had a feeling that'd be the one. Luckily a friend has an Android phone, Plex and a Chromecast so I have someone local with experience.

My 65 year old father who has trouble operating his cable box was able to set it up with minimal help from me. :). You'll be fine, it's beyond simple.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's good to know. I have very little experience with Android as it's not my OS flavor of choice so I'm hoping she can set it up herself without issue, but if something does go iffy at least I can go to my friends place and replicate/solve from there if need to. It's trialling enough helping my parents through Apple TV running XBMC and a NAS and they live a lot closer!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Live Motherfucking TV Update

I've been screwing with HDHR Viewer on Plex for the last week or so, here's what I experienced. First off, I'm using a Silicondust HDHomeRun Extend, aka an HDTC-2US. It's made only for OTA and unencrypted QAM and distinguishes itself by having a built-in hardware transcoder, meaning if you use Silicondust's Android viewer app (which doesn't support Chromecast) you can watch TV on your phone or tablet in the form of an h.264 video with AAC audio in one of several profiles. I'm using Plex to send its streams to my TV using a Chromecast on an 802.11n wireless network. Mileage on a FireTV/Stick, Roku, Keurig 2, or XBox One may vary. I'm told this all works with the CableCard models as well.

First of all, Plex does not want to play live TV on my phone. It'll play for a second or so and then quit. My phone is a Nexus 4, so video playback shouldn't really be a problem, but that's still happening. I tried turning off the experimental player as suggested in the Plex forums thread for the channel, but that resulted in a "cannot play this video" message (ironically with video and no audio playing in the background). So that's happening.

Also, I expected the hardware transcoder to help this whole situation but it doesn't appear to. The plugin does acknowledge its existence in the form of asking you to select a quality level, but even when you have hardware transcoding on the Plex server still does its own transcoding of that resulting stream. So the channel gets transcoded twice. I had hoped to be able to serve TV for my wife while I'm computering without pegging the CPU, but at the moment, at least on the Chromecast, that's not happening. Since it insists on transcoding the fucker anyway I go ahead and throw the untouched MPEG2/AC3 stream at Plex straight from the HDHR for max quality.

The Chromecast (or maybe Plex, I'm not sure) also appears to knock poo poo down to 30 fps. If you're into sports it means you lose that liquid-smooth 60fps motion that's nice to have. The 30 is consistent and smooth, though, so I don't see it as a big deal. On 1080i channels, Plex's lovely deinterlacer rears its head. If you have any kind of overscan on your TV poo poo's going to get weird due to the interlaced picture then having to scale itself, but if your 1080p TV is showing 100% of the image (as in each pixel of the image is a pixel on the TV), all you'll see is some interlacing on horizontally scrolling text and it's otherwise fine. You'll only notice the 30fps thing on live 60fps programming like sports, and you'll only notice the lovely deinterlacer when there's a crawl, and it's the kind of thing I notice but my wife doesn't. If you're watching a 24fps scripted show like Bones or Parks and Recreation you wouldn't even know there wasn't just an antenna hooked up to the TV.

The Plex Plug-in does leave a lot of the customization up to you. If you want a custom lineup there's no GUI way to do it - you'll have to pull the lineup xml file down from your HDHomerun and edit it in notepad to get rid of all the Jesus channels and QVC. That's also a good time to rename your channels if you want or reorder them. Once you've done that, the plugin will pick it up just fine as long as you point it at whereever you put your xml file. It also supports channel logos, but again you've gotta go get em. It has the option to match logos to the channel name or channel number, I went with number just to save myself some time and it picked them up easily. With the custom lineup made and channel logos grabbed my channel list looks like this:

The plugin also has the ability to use XMLTV to give you a program guide. Unfortunately, I was flummoxed enough by the process of doing this that I walked away from it in the hopes of my next attempt with a fresh brain turning out better. Here are the broad strokes: you use a program called zap2xml to pull TV listings from a listing site called Zap2It, using your login there to grab listings for you area and provider and put them in an XML file. You then point the Plex plugin at the XML file zatp2xml generated, and it matches that to your lineup.xml file and shits out a program guide. Once you have that working you use task scheduler to run zap2xml with the appropriate command line options for your situation every [X] days so you always have listings. It's quite the loving ballet. I'm still stuck at the part where you get zap2xml to poo poo out a usable XML file for you, I'll update once I get over that hurdle.

If you're stupid like me and want everything you watch to be watchable through Plex, read this thread to get started. There's a lot of manual work to this, but there are enough nerds who are super into this poo poo right now that I'd expect it to get easier as time goes on. Feel free to throw me questions if you're having trouble.

Now I appreciate Windows Media Center.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Fire stick

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
What was the cost of the hardware needed to add live video in?

Tuner plus antenna? 100% of my TV is streamed or downloaded, so having a live option for news is a big plus.

Edit: looking at the 2 tuner HD option from amazon. This might just be doable unless you have some crazy other cost

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 14, 2015

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Roundboy posted:

What was the cost of the hardware needed to add live video in?

Tuner plus antenna? 100% of my TV is streamed or downloaded, so having a live option for news is a big plus.

Edit: looking at the 2 tuner HD option from amazon. This might just be doable unless you have some crazy other cost

I use this and this. You do also have the option of just getting the antenna and hooking it up to your tv.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

I use this and this. You do also have the option of just getting the antenna and hooking it up to your tv.
True, but I am very adamant about keeping everything to one interface. The biggest complaint I get is having to switch HDMI ports or use this box vs that box. Everything is through roku 3 or fire TV depending on the TV.

Plus this let's me use the antenna in a good spot and send signal to the tv way underground that would not enjoy the same signal otherwise

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Roundboy posted:

True, but I am very adamant about keeping everything to one interface. The biggest complaint I get is having to switch HDMI ports or use this box vs that box. Everything is through roku 3 or fire TV depending on the TV.

Plus this let's me use the antenna in a good spot and send signal to the tv way underground that would not enjoy the same signal otherwise

That's actually part of why I'm doing it that way too. That antenna in the "library" in our house has a much more dependable signal than the Mohu Leaf in the living room hooked up to the main TV. Our house isn't properly wired for cable yet - doing that and ethernet is on my to-do list - so I can't just put a bigass antenna in the attic and solve the problem with one feel swoop. We don't really miss cable so there's not a lot of motivation on that project, but not having to dick around with the antenna to find "the spot" is nice.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

EL BROMANCE posted:

The only thing I dont like about Chromecast is you have to use your phone, tablet or laptop to get anything on there. I prefer the firestick. Some people have had problems, but I have had no issues and would recommend it to anyone.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Can you sideload apps to the firestick?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

jadeddrifter posted:

The only thing I dont like about Chromecast is you have to use your phone, tablet or laptop to get anything on there. I prefer the firestick. Some people have had problems, but I have had no issues and would recommend it to anyone.

Even on my Fire Stick I end up using my phone as the remote. The remote is nice, but when I'm searching for something it's easier just to use the phone.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Medullah posted:

Even on my Fire Stick I end up using my phone as the remote. The remote is nice, but when I'm searching for something it's easier just to use the phone.

Some people are just slaves to their remotes. I use a tablet to control pretty much everything.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

teagone posted:

Some people are just slaves to their remotes. I use a tablet to control pretty much everything.

I do that, then I'm in the middle of some sweet Vainglory battle and my wife want's me to pause the TV show. Spouses, children and parents love remotes.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

porktree posted:

I do that, then I'm in the middle of some sweet Vainglory battle and my wife want's me to pause the TV show. Spouses, children and parents love remotes.

After using the iOS plex app on my iPhone 5 I went looking for a Device with a remote . It went like this a few times:

Oh I need to pause/rewind
Take phone out of pocket
Hit power button
Enter unlock
Double tap home to get back to plex
Plex crashes on resume
Navigate to plex container
Launch plex
Hit chromecast button
What do you mean you can't find it on the network??!
Wait 20 seconds
Connect
Pause
Why did I need to pause it again?

The iOS app is a piece of poo poo. Particularly with chromecast. So much happier with the Amazon fire stick but I miss the ease of YouTube casting

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Hughlander posted:

After using the iOS plex app on my iPhone 5 I went looking for a Device with a remote . It went like this a few times:

Oh I need to pause/rewind
Take phone out of pocket
Hit power button
Enter unlock
Double tap home to get back to plex
Plex crashes on resume
Navigate to plex container
Launch plex
Hit chromecast button
What do you mean you can't find it on the network??!
Wait 20 seconds
Connect
Pause
Why did I need to pause it again?

The iOS app is a piece of poo poo. Particularly with chromecast. So much happier with the Amazon fire stick but I miss the ease of YouTube casting

Oh man, you can't pause Plex from the lock screen in iOS? That sucks :(

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Hughlander posted:

You saying Youtube doesn't exist on the fire stick?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Chin Strap posted:

You saying Youtube doesn't exist on the fire stick?

I'm saying that if you navigate to the settings and turn on maracas as long as you don't navigate to another app it will take a cast from your phone. Vs the chrome stick that will just switch from what it was doing to play the video.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

porktree posted:

That's why I bought a Roku 3. The kids and wife can control it easily. Plus, it's really awesome with Plex.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

trilljester posted:

That's why I bought a Roku 3. The kids and wife can control it easily. Plus, it's really awesome with Plex.

Same with the Roku streaming stick. Plex works great on it and my daughter gets a remote to use.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

trilljester posted:

Yup, I bought a couple of the Amazon Firesticks when they came out for $20 each - everyone's happy.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

teagone posted:

Oh man, you can't pause Plex from the lock screen in iOS? That sucks :(

I do this all the time, both when airplaying to an Apple TV and to a Chromecast. Never had a problem.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I've just logged on to my Plex server and about 45 random channels have appeared on my list (including a couple of xxx ones). And I can't figure out why? Looking at the files in the file system it seems theyve all been added today 17th.

When I try to delete them from the Plex web interface it says can't remove channel.

I've had a quick browse of the Plex forum (not signed up yet) and doesn't seem like anyone else has come across this yet.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
So what's the problem? Have a wank!

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

MeKeV posted:

I've just logged on to my Plex server and about 45 random channels have appeared on my list (including a couple of xxx ones). And I can't figure out why? Looking at the files in the file system it seems theyve all been added today 17th.

When I try to delete them from the Plex web interface it says can't remove channel.

I've had a quick browse of the Plex forum (not signed up yet) and doesn't seem like anyone else has come across this yet.

Do you have the unofficial app store installed? If so try deleting them through that.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
Ok I'm at wits end. I love Plex and I've grown to rely on it for my TV watching so I'd rather fix it than replace it, but I'm not sure what else to do. Since last month, nothing new has populated. It was around the same time I replaced my gpu if that remotely matters. I have removed the dir from my list, and re added the dir, and it just repopulated with the stuff it had already found. I completely uninstalled the media server and reinstalled, same old database, no new items found. What else can I do to fix it?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

gypsyshred posted:

Ok I'm at wits end. I love Plex and I've grown to rely on it for my TV watching so I'd rather fix it than replace it, but I'm not sure what else to do. Since last month, nothing new has populated. It was around the same time I replaced my gpu if that remotely matters. I have removed the dir from my list, and re added the dir, and it just repopulated with the stuff it had already found. I completely uninstalled the media server and reinstalled, same old database, no new items found. What else can I do to fix it?

Maybe a dumb question but are you sure you're putting your new stuff in a folder that's scanned? One scenario I'm thinking of is that maybe you're using a library folder that displays files from multiple locations as one single folder so in Windows explorer it looks as if you're putting the files in the right place but really they might be somewhere else? I know "videos" under "this computer" is one of those library folders where it shows content from a bunch of different locations as one cohesive folder. It's a long shot but maybe that can point you in the right direction.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

gypsyshred posted:

When you force a full rescan what does the message say? If you try to play some of the old stuff that shows up, does it play? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Plex using a different library name?

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Did a drive path change?

Have you tried:
  • Empty trash
  • Clean bundles
  • Update library

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
I once changed the folder name that my stuff was in, and the library was still referencing the old path, and nothing worked.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
Occams Razor wins again, it was a dumb multiple hard drive/directory thing I didn't think to check.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

gypsyshred posted:

Occams Razor wins again, it was a dumb multiple hard drive/directory thing I didn't think to check.

I was going to suggest checking the folder permissions. Glad you figured it out.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I'm currently using PHT with a Logitech K400. It works well, but I'm looking for something more 'streamlined', like an actual remote. Anybody have a favorite method for controlling it?

Amazon Firestick and others work great for on the go, but I find PHT to be smoother, and has access to more features vs it.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

trilljester posted:

Have to agree, and I got a Roku TV (the TCL one). Handles maximum quality (20mb/s) 1080p streams via plex which look great, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Have to agree, and I got a Roku TV (the TCL one). Handles maximum quality (20mb/s) 1080p streams via plex which look great, too.

How much of the content/channels do you pay for? I see that it has a ton of options, so I'm curious as to what people are actually paying for and using.