Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

no, I don't count the server-side Facebook stuff, which I didn't do that much with anyway.

I mean about a billion people downloading and installing software I managed the development of onto their computers/phones. Binaries that needed long-term maintenance and "make exactly the thing from before except with this narrow change".

e: probably (certainly) some humans have installed, f.e., both Firefox and the Facebook iOS app, so it's likely less than a billion individuals. nonetheless.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

bobbilljim posted:

store your artifacts for the love of god but idgaf how u do it

drawer of unlabeled zip disks

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Deacon of Delicious posted:

drawer of unlabeled zip disks

big rear end janitor keyring of thumbdrives

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

haha, oh wow, i didn't realize had internally edited microsoft compiler builds to microsoft OS builds. no wonder it was like it was i presenting the secrets of chem trails

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

but subjunctive, man, you're still a prick

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

rotor posted:

who wants to play the "guess what rotor will say" game?

i'll take "dont loving use git you moron" for 200

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

"I'll force my branch into your repo if you commit to using this version control system."

faxlore fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jan 15, 2015

Brave GNU World
Nov 1, 2013

by Cyrano4747
i use gitcoin, i can only check in once i've mined the next commit blockchain.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

PleasureKevin posted:

whats the deal with people not knowing git?

are they old or something? young?

like doesn't every develop need a github repo to get a job? or to even understand programming remotely?

do these people download zip files from github ??

one day you'll find out people write software for things other than websites

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

tef posted:

one day you'll find out people write software for things other than websites

yes, the other three classes of software are:
-web apps
-web frameworks
-burp and fart piano

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

git talk - i follow this and ive got no idea if i could do better or not

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PleasureKevin posted:

do these people download zip files from github ??
they open page and click 'download .zip' button on it or w/e it's called

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i don't really care to evangelize git but this is the explanation that makes the most sense to me, so it's the one i use

say you check out a copy of some developer's svn repo, and you make some changes to be more needs-suiting. you want to commit these changes, because version control is good right? but you don't have commit privs and the developer isn't around to give them to you (or won't), now what smart guy?

i don't really care to evangelize svn but the thing that makes the most sense to me, so it's how i talk about it: the commands were written by someone who thought about the user interface beyond a series of operations on a directed acyclic graph of hashes, trees, and blobs.

what you are missing is this: svn was a nicer tool to use a lot of the time, over git. i've actually found mercurial substantially less annoying to use in places. having branches in seperate directories was lovely, having commands that were reasy to internalise. sub tree checkouts. svn

git on the other hand is an incredible simple model "a tree of snapshots" with incredibly opaque operators. git has no polish, or any ux. git is very popular with the "broken tools you fix yourself" crowd, the sorta people who use zsh with extravagant dotfiles, the sorta people who publish a gem which wraps git to make it work for them. the rest of the world uses git via the google + stackoverflow interface. git gets one thing right: my local copy is a fork, but "a bunch of people working on a shared codebase" use ends up being a little bit more convoluted.

git's still nice but the whole "svn sucks, git rocks" thing is just a bunch of people parroting off the platitudes on slashdot, reddit, and hacker news, by people who don't undertstand git, or svn. yes, git has a better model but frankly, svn had way better tooling

and don't get me started on github. uuuurrrggghhh

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

kalstrams posted:

git talk - i follow this and ive got no idea if i could do better or not

we spent a bunch of time optimising merging in long running branches only to discover that you still have merge pain with long running branches

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Brain Candy posted:

but subjunctive, man, you're still a prick

I have my moments (I'm actually a pretty nice guy, I think you would find, but I'm not always on my best manners in the pos)

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jan 15, 2015

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I've seen people using Dropbox for source control in academia

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

uncurable mlady posted:

yeah you just export project to zip, name it with a date prefix and then dropbox it!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ive never tried svn/mercurial (i dont even know if they are different things). for my stuff, writing in latex, i use git, as in sourcetree client and private repository on bitbucket.

semester that finished yesterday had a subject where i was forced to use dropbox for version control of fairly broad project.

:negative:

*plays gta, goes to shoot dropboxers*

e:

Valeyard posted:

yeah you just export project to zip, name it with a date prefix and then dropbox it!
this was done, only instead it was ither filenames starting with date, foldernames starting with depth, or your long time academic favourite ayn_rand_galtse_cx_draft_1_final_edit111_1-rev_three_ready.pdf

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

rotor posted:

I sat through an hour long brown bag of some insufferable nerd talking about how to craft your commits so the version history ~tells the story of your software~
here's the story of my software gently caress gently caress AHHH WHY ISN'T THIS WORKING poo poo oh there it's working NO IT'S NOT AAGGGG oh okay it it's working now

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

kalstrams posted:

ive never tried svn/mercurial (i dont even know if they are different things). for my stuff, writing in latex, i use git, as in sourcetree client and private repository on bitbucket.

my understanding is that mercurial is like git, except better

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

fart simpson posted:

whats the deal with people spending a bunch of time with git rebasing stuff to get nice looking commits? what;s the point, it seems like a lot of effort to obfuscate stuff in a clever way

these people are assholes

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Rebasing is okay when your feature branch can't be merged properly as-is. Asking the person to rebase is asking them to solve the conflicts (they know their code changes in the first place) so that the person doing the merging can just do it without having to figure out what should or should not be dropped.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

tef posted:

i don't really care to evangelize svn but the thing that makes the most sense to me, so it's how i talk about it: the commands were written by someone who thought about the user interface beyond a series of operations on a directed acyclic graph of hashes, trees, and blobs.

what you are missing is this: svn was a nicer tool to use a lot of the time, over git. i've actually found mercurial substantially less annoying to use in places. having branches in seperate directories was lovely, having commands that were reasy to internalise. sub tree checkouts. svn

git on the other hand is an incredible simple model "a tree of snapshots" with incredibly opaque operators. git has no polish, or any ux. git is very popular with the "broken tools you fix yourself" crowd, the sorta people who use zsh with extravagant dotfiles, the sorta people who publish a gem which wraps git to make it work for them. the rest of the world uses git via the google + stackoverflow interface. git gets one thing right: my local copy is a fork, but "a bunch of people working on a shared codebase" use ends up being a little bit more convoluted.

git's still nice but the whole "svn sucks, git rocks" thing is just a bunch of people parroting off the platitudes on slashdot, reddit, and hacker news, by people who don't undertstand git, or svn. yes, git has a better model but frankly, svn had way better tooling

and don't get me started on github. uuuurrrggghhh

lol you're not even talking about git you're just ranting about ruby again

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

prefect posted:

my understanding is that mercurial is like git, except better

mercurial owns

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
mercurial has its warts, if it didn't everyone would be using it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

everyone is using git. so what is preventing them from using mercurial?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

hobbesmaster posted:

enlightenment

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
you know what i miss? clearcase's version-tree browser. that was the best for figuring out what came from where and how

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

hobbesmaster posted:

they're using github, and github doesn't support mercurial

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

uncurable mlady posted:

that's better than what i saw in college, before dropbox existed

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

prefect posted:

you know what i miss? clearcase's version-tree browser. that was the best for figuring out what came from where and how
The closest things I know for this in git are tig:

Which you can then navigate and see diffs for each commits, and the 'glog' alias:

You can get that one in git as:
code:
[alias]
    glog = log --pretty=short --graph --color --decorate --all
in your .gitconfig file, and by enabling the graphlog extension in mercurial.

I'm guessing you might have better poo poo in a GUI version of these things, but I'm a CLI man :shobon:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Careful Drums posted:

that's better than what i saw in college, before dropbox existed
i bet it was same only on ftp server

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kalstrams posted:

i bet it was same only on ftp server

yeah basically. using an FTP server was even rare. losing a thumb drive was a big loving deal back then

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I interview once at a game company that used source safe for all their version control, including of the Linux-hosted server code. CIFS mount and hope.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

vss :stonk:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Space Whale posted:

The cherry on top for me is two people there had used git before, but NEVER DID ANY VERSIONING WITH IT AT ALL, and only one had actually done a merge. loving everyone flips their poo poo about actually doing version control in git. I cannot fathom this, even though I see it everywhere I look. Is "why does revert make new commit I thought it go back" why?

I think it's a good way to pump up your consulting rate :q:

stop using git

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the only thing that's good about git is it makes inexperienced developers stand out really well.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

the only thing that's good about git is it makes inexperienced developers stand out really well.
lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

faxlore posted:

"I'll force my branch into your repo if you commit to using this version control system."

I'm almost there, pleeeeeeease don't stop

• Locked thread