Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Got two albums in the mail this week:

Yes - The Ladder
I blame the game Homeworld for this one, plus I'm a sucker for anything with Roger Dean's artwork. Good thing the entire album kicks rear end.

Amon Düül II - Wolf City
I love the purple color, must collect more colored vinyl!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Doctor Cave posted:

Related, I listened to Trans for the first time recently. Holy poo poo does that album kick arse.

Have you listened to Reactor? If not, go do it now.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Two neat things:

Dinosaur Jr.'s "Bug: Live at the 930 Club" got reissued: http://www.outerbatteryrecords.com/collections/frontpage/products/dinosaur-jr-bug-live

GBV also had "Bee Thousand" and "King poo poo & the Golden Boys" reissued.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

TubeStank posted:

GBV also had "Bee Thousand" and "King poo poo & the Golden Boys" reissued.

Sweet, thanks for the heads up. "Bee Thousand" is something I've been after for a while, might get the other one as well as I've never heard it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

WASDF posted:

Oh, my bad. Anybody with questions just email me at braden.timss@gmail.com

I just was making sure you knew I wanted it because I saw other stuff crossed out. I'm not in a huge hurry about it or anything. Also I think I might have bought poo poo from you before.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
Anybody in this thread who likes stuff like Todd Rundgren or 10CC ought to check out Danny James' Pear in the biggest hurry imaginable. Colored vinyl is still available as I'm posting this, but my guess is that it's not going to last for very long. Pop-up cover, too!

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Doctor Cave posted:

Related, I listened to Trans for the first time recently. Holy poo poo does that album kick arse.

If you like Trans also check out Landing on Water. I think it's one of his most underrated albums.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Mister Kingdom posted:

Have you listened to Reactor? If not, go do it now.

Yeah I have. I had mixed feelings about it. It was a big improvement over Hawks and Doves though.

Boinks posted:

If you like Trans also check out Landing on Water. I think it's one of his most underrated albums.

I haven't got up to that one yet. The next one I'm due to listen to is Everybody's Rockin which is supposed to be rockabilly? I'm really enjoying this period of Neil Young, as he seems to do whatever the gently caress he wants on an album-by-album basis.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

trdn89 posted:

Anybody in this thread who likes stuff like Todd Rundgren or 10CC ought to check out Danny James' Pear in the biggest hurry imaginable. Colored vinyl is still available as I'm posting this, but my guess is that it's not going to last for very long. Pop-up cover, too!

This thread makes me spend money I don't have :-(

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
Just got an email from Secretly Canadian that the LE copy of the Viet Cong album I preordered back in October is "out of stock"; apparently they received fewer copies of the colored vinyl from their distributor than they'd been expecting. I understand that these things happen, but drat that's a lovely thing to hear the week a record that you've been waiting for three months is supposed to be coming out.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

trdn89 posted:

I do like me some 10cc, but I'm unfamiliar with Danny James. What evokes the comparison?

Dream of Janney
Aug 25, 2013

Corsi Enthusiast
Figure I'll try here with the dollar sucking:

Favourite Canadian distros/shops?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Amazon.ca, Recordcellar.ca and then the good labels:

Arts & Crafts, Last Gang, Paper Bag, Nettwerk, Dine Alone, and my personal favorite canadian and one of the most underrated labels: Three Gut Records (edit: looks like only two albums of theirs' are available on bandcamp welp)

double edit: Also I guess Sonic and Mint records but realistically they're one show wonders

Ernie. fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 16, 2015

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
All my Bowie dreams are coming true :angel: I found the original US release of The Man Who Sold The World today to join my other copies.

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

Has there been a post about the best places to pick up records? I've been on Amazon and eBay and a few others, but I haven't found a site I loved. The closest record store is about 1.5 hours away in Orlando, and that's not convenient.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

PleasusChrist posted:

Has there been a post about the best places to pick up records? I've been on Amazon and eBay and a few others, but I haven't found a site I loved. The closest record store is about 1.5 hours away in Orlando, and that's not convenient.

Garage sales. :cool:

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
a merch table

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

stay depressed posted:

a merch table

We don't have poo poo for shows here. :(

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I've found good deals on Discogs, but their search interface is just loving garbage.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

PleasusChrist posted:

Make that hour and a half drive every month or so and get good with the owner so he can let you know when good poo poo is coming in

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Millions posted:

All my Bowie dreams are coming true :angel: I found the original US release of The Man Who Sold The World today to join my other copies.

There's a lot of bootlegs of the US first press. Do you know if that one's official?

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

CPL593H posted:

There's a lot of bootlegs of the US first press. Do you know if that one's official?

Good call, I didn't even think of that possibility. It looks like bootlegs have a missing clip of All The Madmen whereas mine is complete. It has a hole punch in the sleeve, if that lends any validity to either side of the determination.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Millions posted:

Good call, I didn't even think of that possibility. It looks like bootlegs have a missing clip of All The Madmen whereas mine is complete. It has a hole punch in the sleeve, if that lends any validity to either side of the determination.

I have one of the bootleg copies and it sounds utterly terrible. Also the bootlegs have a hand etched matrix number where as the official copies have one that's machine stamped.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

WASDF posted:

Here's the list! They're all conditionally superb unless stated.

Foxygen - We Are The 21st Century... (clear vinyl)
Talking Heads - True Stories
The Exorcist Soundtrack, kind of beat up and ringworn with a corner of the jacket seemingly having been cut off. Looks aesthetically cohesive this way, I think.
Waxahatchee - Cerulean Salt (blue vinyl)
The World Is A Beautiful Place And I Am No Longer Typing Out This Dumb Name - Whenever, If Ever (white vinyl)
Xasthur - Defective Epitaph
King Crimson - Red, a little worn from age
The Men - New Moon
Neat Beats - Cosmic Surgery (great album)
My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult - Some Have To Dance... Some Have To Kill... single
My Bloody Valentine - mbv
Fuzz - Fuzz
Frustrator - anther
Omar Rodriguez Lopez Quartet - Sepulcher (gross purple)
Dweller On The Threshold - s/t
Bosnian Rainbowns - s/t
Boris - Heavy Rocks (II)
Boris - Absolutego+ (red vinyl, southern lord)
Akron/Family - Sub Verses (white vinyl)
The Anters - Undersea (very nice looking sea colored vinyl)

How much for the Waxahatchee and Foxygen? They've got them both at the local Newbury Comics but I keep passing over em.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Red Fang - Murder The Mountains

Usnea - Random Cosmic Violence

Inter Arma - Sky Burial

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

PleasusChrist posted:

Where in Florida are you? There are several really good record shops in St. Pete.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

Ballz posted:

I do like me some 10cc, but I'm unfamiliar with Danny James. What evokes the comparison?

Mostly the tone of his voice plus the broad poppiness of the arrangements, although listening to Lydia again I guess the Rundgren comparison is closer.

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

Ballz posted:

Where in Florida are you? There are several really good record shops in St. Pete.

Melbourne Beach area. Opposite coast. I'm like 30 minutes south of Cocoa Beach.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

PleasusChrist posted:

Melbourne Beach area. Opposite coast. I'm like 30 minutes south of Cocoa Beach.

D'oh. Have you ever been to Vinyl Request or Caroline's House of Records? Can't vouch for them personally, but it couldn't hurt to check them out if you haven't already.

If you do find yourself on this side of the country's wang, then I recommend visiting Daddy Kool if you want new vinyl, Planet Retro if you want punk/hardcore and Bananas if you ever want to be buried in hundreds of thousands of records.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 17, 2015

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
bananas is where worthless records go to die

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
Mailbag!

Daft Punk - Alive Boxset
David Bowie - Aladdin Sane
Yelle - Safari Disco Club
Transformers: The Movie Soundtrack

I missed the boat on the clear blue version of TF:TM, but I don't care, I love that album in all it's butt-rock glory.

Safari Disco Club was a pain in the butt to get, having two sellers flake out on me. I finally found a copy via a third-party seller on Amazon.uk. Now to find a reasonably-priced copy of Pop-Up:retrogames:

Some glamour-shots of Alive:

It's a little hard to make out in the picture, but the encore disc is single-sided with an etching of Alive 2007's art on the back.

VVVV Haha, actually I'm just pinching the edge of the disc. Trust me, I want that set to sound its best for as long as possible. VVV

Moai Ou fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 17, 2015

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

YOU TOUCHED THE PLAYING SURFACE!

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

To all who ordered stuff, I got mailers and your junk's flying on the eve.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Doctor Cave posted:

Yeah I have. I had mixed feelings about it. It was a big improvement over Hawks and Doves though.

I like how he trolls everybody with "T-Bone".

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Mister Kingdom posted:

I like how he trolls everybody with "T-Bone".

Hah, that's the main reason I have "mixed feelings" about that record.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Doctor Cave posted:

Hah, that's the main reason I have "mixed feelings" about that record.

Geffen Records felt the same way and ended up in a nasty lawsuit over Trans, Reactor, and Everybody's Rockin'. Neil came out on top, of course.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
My copies of the OST to Candyman (I picked up both the LP and the cassette) finally showed up! I'm not usually one for soundtracks, but my love for Philip Glass knows no bounds and his score for this movie is one of my favorite pieces he ever composed. Looks like Light in the Attic's still got copies left for sale in both formats if anyone wants to pick up a copy of their own.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Dream of Janney posted:

Figure I'll try here with the dollar sucking:

Favourite Canadian distros/shops?

Everything that was previously mentioned plus maplemusic and we are busy bodies

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
That yelle album is really good. I'm jealous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
If anyone else is flailing about looking for a place to get the new Melvins reissue/remasters, Melody Supreme is the only place claiming to have them in stock (that I can find):

http://www.melodysupreme.org/product/melvins-ozma-bullhead-2lp/
http://www.melodysupreme.org/product/melvins-eggnog-lice-2lp/