Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

deaders posted:

Do you need to regularly post photos to a thread to be able to contribute meaningfully?

If all you want is validation and reassurance that you are special, unique snowflake there are plenty of groups on flickr for that kind of thing.

No, you don't. But when you're a dick about critiquing someone's photos without posting any of your own, it makes that critique harder to take. I don't need to be told I'm a special snowflake, I'd just rather not be condescended to by someone who isn't willing to put himself out there and post photos. poo poo, even Musket posts photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

unpacked robinhood posted:

I like some of what happens in this thread and I don't get why people act so lovely about it

Because this thread is bad and you should feel bad for liking it. Also awkward davies' photo owns but deaders' crit is perfectly valid (even though he doesn't like it for the exact reasons I do like it).

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 14, 2015

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

8th-snype posted:

Because this thread is bad and you should feel bad for liking it. Also awkward davies' photo owns but deaders' crit is perfectly valid (even though he doesn't like it for the exact reasons I do like it).

Like I said, his crit was totally valid and he's right. He was just a dick about it, and he hasn't posted photos in this thread for six months.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Beige posted:

I love these two despite having the POV of a murderer.

This is the exact reason I love them.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

8th-snype posted:

This is the dumbest thing I have read all day.

lol grow the gently caress up. You're either stupid and/or naive if you think how good someone is at a thing has zero impact on how people perceive their critiques of that thing.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Fart Car '97 posted:

lol grow the gently caress up. You're either stupid and/or naive if you think how good someone is at a thing has zero impact on how people perceive their critiques of that thing.

By this logic I guess Robert Christgau should throw his computer in the trash

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Fart Car '97 posted:

Have YOU ever written a book?!? No?? Then what the hell are you doing reading??

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

TheJeffers posted:

By this logic I guess Robert Christgau should throw his computer in the trash

I guess to clear this up: I am not saying level of skill makes one critique more or less valid than another but it's some art-school horse poo poo to say that you wouldn't view the critique of a great photographer differently than one from a poo poo photographer

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Fart Car '97 posted:

I guess to clear this up: I am not saying level of skill makes one critique more or less valid than another but it's some art-school horse poo poo to say that you wouldn't view the critique of a great photographer differently than one from a poo poo photographer

As someone who has posted critique within the last six months: your critique of critique is poo poo.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Ok I'm shutting up about it now. Deaders gave crit and the way in which he did it annoyed me but it's an internet forum and I should be less of a babby. Moving on. Here's a picture of some trash for this thread of garbage.

Greenpoint, Brooklyn

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 20, 2018

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Fart Car '97 posted:

You are dumb as hell if you think the skill level of a photographer has some objective bearing on the critique. they provide. I suppose anyone that uses the phrase "art school horse poo poo" isn't really prepared to have a dialog about useful critique.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

8th-snype posted:

I suppose anyone that uses the phrase "art school horse poo poo" isn't really prepared to have a dialog about useful critique.

Neither is someone who smugly posts 'That's the dumbest thing I've read all day' imo but hey this thread's pretty poo poo at this point so may as well shovel more onto it right?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Fart Car '97 posted:

Neither is someone who smugly posts 'That's the dumbest thing I've read all day' imo but hey this thread's pretty poo poo at this point so may as well shovel more onto it right?

This is the new dumbest thing I've read all day.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Fart Car '97 posted:

You are right, saying that was clearly an insult to the dumb poster community.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Untitled by TomOlson, on Flickr

Kiev Subway by TomOlson, on Flickr

I Love You, Chicago by TomOlson, on Flickr

RangerScum fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 14, 2015

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
That first one owns

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

RangerScum posted:

I Love You, Chicago by TomOlson, on Flickr

Great, more horse poo poo

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

8th-snype posted:

You are dumb as hell if you think the skill level of a photographer has some objective bearing on the critique. they provide. I suppose anyone that uses the phrase "art school horse poo poo" isn't really prepared to have a dialog about useful critique.

He said it has subjective bearing on their critique.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

Awkward Davies posted:

Like I said, his crit was totally valid and he's right. He was just a dick about it, and he hasn't posted photos in this thread for six months.

My tone was pretty dickish but it was a fair critique. I post photos in this forum regularly, click the "?" under my name to see them.

I don't post many photos in this thread because a) I don't shoot much "street" and b) I carefully self edit to weed out all of the garbage shots that I take.

That said, I do enjoy good street photography (which is about 0.1% of the genre currently posted online) so check in on this thread sometimes to see what people are sharing. Occasionally it makes me a bit mad, which is dumb but hey that's my issue, to see people posting the same old crap with bored people in a boring setting doing something boring which means that sometimes I post a snarky critique.

So, as someone who is familiar with some of the good street photography that is out there and has a feel for what makes a compelling shot, do my critiques add value to the thread even though I don't post street photos? Obviously they should do as long as people are actually interested in improving as photographers and don't just want to be told that they are the bastard love child of Robert Frank and Mary Ellen Mark and an unappreciated genius.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I saw this on reddit a bit ago and I thought it was good street photography.

http://petapixel.com/2015/01/02/self-taught-chinese-street-photographer-tao-liu-eye-peculiar-moments/

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

deaders posted:

So, as someone who is familiar with some of the good street photography that is out there and has a feel for what makes a compelling shot, do my critiques add value to the thread even though I don't post street photos?

What you say that's genuinely useful critique tends to get overlooked due to the tone you use.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

grack posted:

What you say that's genuinely useful critique tends to get overlooked due to the tone you use.

That's just to weed out the babies who don't actually want a critique

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Spime Wrangler posted:

He said it has subjective bearing on their critique.

But he's treating his subjective as if it should be objective for everyone.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

deaders posted:

My tone was pretty dickish but it was a fair critique. I post photos in this forum regularly, click the "?" under my name to see them.

I don't post many photos in this thread because a) I don't shoot much "street" and b) I carefully self edit to weed out all of the garbage shots that I take.

That said, I do enjoy good street photography (which is about 0.1% of the genre currently posted online) so check in on this thread sometimes to see what people are sharing. Occasionally it makes me a bit mad, which is dumb but hey that's my issue, to see people posting the same old crap with bored people in a boring setting doing something boring which means that sometimes I post a snarky critique.

So, as someone who is familiar with some of the good street photography that is out there and has a feel for what makes a compelling shot, do my critiques add value to the thread even though I don't post street photos? Obviously they should do as long as people are actually interested in improving as photographers and don't just want to be told that they are the bastard love child of Robert Frank and Mary Ellen Mark and an unappreciated genius.

I think critiques add value. Like I keep saying, the essence of your critique was valid. The way you delivered it made accepting it difficult.

deaders posted:

That's just to weed out the babies who don't actually want a critique

"I'm a dick to make sure that people listen to me".

How does that make sense?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Awkward Davies posted:

I think critiques add value. Like I keep saying, the essence of your critique was valid. The way you delivered it made accepting it difficult.

"I'm a dick to make sure that people listen to me".

How does that make sense?

The validity of critique is unrelated to how it's delivered. If you can't accept critique unless the critic strokes your ego, then that's not the critic's fault, is it?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

MrBlandAverage posted:

If you can't accept critique unless the critic strokes your

Awkward Davies posted:

dick to make sure that people listen

This is all I can see now

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
Jesus guys, what is this? Kindergarten? I mean I enjoy the occasional dorkroom meltdown too, but ... come the gently caress on...

First of all here's some ideas, maybe useful for living in society all grown up and poo poo:

1. Being a dick to people is never cool.
2. Being a dick to someone else because they have been a dick to you makes you a bellend, too.
3. Contrary to popular belief you can critique the work of others without comparing it to various bodily fluids or excretions.
4. All photography is poo poo, anyway.
5. This thread loving sucks rear end, can we please gas it and salt the earth?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

VomitOnLino posted:

Jesus guys, what is this? Kindergarten? I mean I enjoy the occasional dorkroom meltdown too, but ... come the gently caress on...

First of all here's some ideas, maybe useful for living in society all grown up and poo poo:

2. Being a dick to someone else because they have been a dick to you makes you a bellend, too.
3. Contrary to popular belief you can critique the work of others without comparing it to various bodily fluids or excretions.

Axe point #3 and I concur.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Basically all humans are garbage so lets just give up this thread and street photography altogether and stick to bleak minimalist architectural landscapes.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

VomitOnLino posted:

Actually that is fair enough, I will try not to be a dick when offering a critique. Let's all stop being bellends ( I didn't know you were English or Australian?).

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

deaders posted:

Actually that is fair enough, I will try not to be a dick when offering a critique. Let's all stop being bellends ( I didn't know you were English or Australian?).

I'm neither actually, I guess I just spend a lot of time with folks from various English speaking nations so it kinda rubs off.
This usually makes people interacting with me quite confused and they usually assume I'm from "that other place, where they speak english, too".

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
gently caress You (Penonome, Panama) by esa_foto, on Flickr

Public Transportation (Penonome, Panama) by esa_foto, on Flickr

Pointing Away (Penonome, Panama) by esa_foto, on Flickr

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Don't call for the thread to be gassed. It's not the thread's fault you all are tearing each other apart like libertarians in a prisoner's dilemma.

JHVH-1 posted:

lets stick to bleak minimalist architectural landscapes.

Good idea here, though

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

JHVH-1 posted:

Basically all humans are garbage so lets just give up this thread and street photography altogether and stick to bleak minimalist architectural landscapes.

This but unironically.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

JHVH-1 posted:

Works for me.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
This thread makes me really glad I swapped economics for photography in college.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

MrBlandAverage posted:

Works for me.

i dont think this guy is as real as the streets

like me

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

JHVH-1 posted:

all humans are garbage

Ah yes, the first tenet of street photography.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

img283

img278

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003