Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

I'm waiting for healthcare.gov to come back up so I can get the last form I need for my taxes, I think I'm going to wind up owing a little bit for the subsidy.

I haven't even started working on my taxes but if dealing with healthcare.org is a new step I am suddenly really dreading this experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

#beardpride

Tell me you're mocking someone, please, that's not really your selfie, right? That's worse than HCC's chest shot.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Previa_fun posted:

I haven't even started working on my taxes but if dealing with healthcare.org is a new step I am suddenly really dreading this experience.

Well, I wound up getting myself locked out of my account.

Three times.

:suicide:

I'd forgotten I had my account tied to a rarely-used email account (one I use so rarely that it's not in my email client - my original account on healthcare.gov was before they added the "burn it to the ground, start this poo poo from scratch" feature, and it got locked into a loop of the same questions every time I logged in - their own call center said I should just start fresh with a new account and use a different email address - this was when the site first went live). The first person I talked to tonight (this morning?) was curt, but got it unlocked... but since I forgot which email it was tied to, I got myself locked back out when the reset password email didn't show up in the account I expected it to show up in.

Just had a very pleasant conversation with one of their call center reps. I'm sure I murdered his average call handle time, since both of us kept bullshitting about cars, identity theft, computers, call center hell, etc (including his experience driving big trucks across the western half of the US for several years), but it was relatively painless, and frankly, a pretty enjoyable conversation with a total stranger. He did suggest I try the temporary password while we were on the phone - which took me to a reset password screen (which also requested the same temp password) - and I got locked out again when I entered the same temporary password. Yay for multiple systems that don't synchronize immediately! He reset it again, then suggested I wait 24 hours, and said he'd seen the same poo poo happen plenty before. There's so much clusterfuck behind the hundreds of systems that make it all work that I'm amazed it works at all.

You'll only need paperwork from healthcare.gov if you had subsidized insurance. I need to both upload my W2's to them (so they can adjust my subsidy), and download a form to file with my taxes.

My taxes are done except for that form. Thanks to the whole ID theft fiasco, I'd prefer to get them filed ASAFP (and I may still wind up having to file by paper anyway - I had to contact both the IRS and social security administration about the ID theft - at the least, I'll have to use a PIN that they mail every year for the next 5-7 years to file). The lovely part is I overshot my estimated income by about $3k, so I'll have to repay some amount of the subsidy. I doubt it'll be more than $100-200 though; I was getting ~$250/month in subsidies. Still am, but my insurance premium went up by $15/month, I assume because BCBS has a better idea of what their claims will be.

I was making GBS threads myself thinking I hadn't made enough to qualify for the subsidy, until I looked closer at my last few pizza hut paystubs. Everywhere I've ever worked that involved tips would show a YTD for tips, or lump the tips in with your gross pay on your stubs (but taxes are handled a bit differently). My stubs from the Hut only showed the tips I'd reported for the pay period, and didn't include it in gross pay. Even Jet's includes it in my gross pay in my paystub, as did Papa John's and Domino's.

Pizza Hut only withheld a bit under $800 in federal taxes.... for $17k gross, and I seem to remember being pissed about it last year (and filling out a new W4 to fix it) too. And I know drat well I filled out my W4 properly. Completely wiped out the refund I had coming from everything else.

Rhyno posted:

#beardpride

My boss wears a #beardpride bracelet. :cripes:

The upside to this, at work anyway: I only have to shave when my neck starts itching like hell. Which is usually twice a month. I hate how I look with any facial hair, but I hate shaving more. Boss has shaved once since I've worked here.

Found out last night that some obscure magazine voted us "Best Pizza in DFW", which I find hard to believe. It's the best pizza you're going to get from any chain for sure, and everything is made fresh (dough, sauce, even the cheese is shredded every day), but there's some hole in the walls that blow us away. I think we're up to 4 or 5 locations in DFW, but only 3 are owned by this franchise.

quote:

welder :words:

We had one of our dough racks pulled out of the cooler today. I noticed the funny angle it was sitting at, it definitely had a funny lean going, even though it had cross bracing on the back side, plus braces at the top and bottom.

I'm pretty sure if you gave me about an hour or two of practice with a welder, I could fart out better welds. And I'm sure the store paid several hundred for that piece of poo poo.

e: holy mother of gently caress, STR catte #2 just jumped in my lap, ripped rear end, and took off. My eyes are watering and I can barely breathe. His name may soon be changed from The Dude to Stinky Fucker.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jan 15, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
On aluminum? Not likely, aluminum welding is about the most challenging thing out there unless you start working with superalloys as far as I know. Steel, sure, I could teach you to mig weld steel better than that in 30 minutes.

Beardchat. I break out like crazy if I go cleanshaven and I refuse to go full eleventh degree beardsperg so I weedwack it with a trimmer every week or so when it gets itchy. Either that or if the girl at the time prefers beards I just go with a full beard and trim the patchy spots, but that happens fairly rarely so I mostly just brush-hog it every week :v:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Do we have a gently caress 2015 thing happening yet? I'm sick of it already. gently caress everything.

I hate it when I've got a finger out of commission. I suddenly realise how hard it is to continue daily life and keep it dry, clean and safe. Smashed the loving thing between a 12lb sledge and a star picket. I was using the sledge like a hammer to bang in the picket and got distracted. There's still skin on the picket. Went straight on to make and preserve some homemade tomato sauce from this years crop. First for both for me. Worked out really well too.

Beardchat. I can't grow a beard. Well, I can but as soon as I get maybe more than 5mm of stubble I'm ready to tear my face off. It gets super itchy and lumpy and horrible. I don't know wtf.

Welderchat. I want to try a TIG. I used to be really good at arc welding. Got a good MIG and consistently suck at it. I think the manual approach is where I'm at. I just can't do anything but booger weld with a MIG.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Stepdad's birthday was yesterday. I gave him a $50 Walmart gift card for his birthday. He bitched and said it might help with groceries for a day. Thanks rear end in a top hat, that was 1.5 days of tips to pay for that.

When mom asked him to help her clean the kitchen up after she made one hell of a birthday feast, he yelled "don't even loving start, I have to be up at 5am" and slammed the bedroom door in her face. Locked out of her own bedroom, she's sleeping in the guest bedroom. Then I get asked how much I put on the card, I tell her, and I get a new rear end in a top hat ripped into me over it. Also, it's almost 7am, he's still asleep.

I'm caught in the middle. I have just barely enough to get a cheap motel (Motel 6 or similar) for a day or two. Think I'm gonna sleep a couple of hours and go check into the really nice Motel 6 Suites across town; they're only $5/day more than the normal Motel 6, and have a full kitchen. Or maybe run up to Denton and hang out with my old roommate for a couple of days.

Sorry for the e/n rant. Stepdad is always a huge rear end in a top hat for at least a week after his "low T" shot. He got it 2 days ago.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Looks like I am going bankrupt this year! Woo gently caress 2015 indeed.

Knobjockey
Jul 21, 2003

Crush your enemies.
Bang! and the alien is gone.
Hear the lamentation of Dr. Vahlen.
Went and looked at a Scirocco today. It's slower than my Polio, has piston slap and it smells of burning oil and cat piss. The owner also smells of cat piss, has piston slap and wants eight grand. Er, no:sigh:

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

kastein posted:

On aluminum? Not likely, aluminum welding is about the most challenging thing out there unless you start working with superalloys as far as I know. Steel, sure, I could teach you to mig weld steel better than that in 30 minutes.

It depends on the person, I personally have an easier time doing intercooler piping than stainless steel exhausts. So many people think that because it sticks together it is a good weld. Most stainless welds you see people post are overheated to poo poo and will probably crack if it's going on a car.

Training got postponed til next week, which is nice because another 12hr day would have really sucked. We got some fancy Mazak mills, but everything awesome about them requires you to run their proprietary Mazatrol language, which we're not going to.
Yay for uneducated purchasing decisions!

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
$50 isn't enough for a gift card? What the hell. I'd be super happy if I got that. What is he eating or the house eating that costs like $50 a day?

By low t, do you mean testosterone?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
No no no 2015 is supposed to be good you guys :smith:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

thegasman2000 posted:

Looks like I am going bankrupt this year! Woo gently caress 2015 indeed.

Mom did a chapter 7 last year; it was finalized in early December.

Go for it. It may seem embarrassing as hell, but she had about 75k of debt disappear instantly. It helped that the one lawyer a debtor sent showed up 30 minutes late (JP Morgan), after they'd already moved on to the next case. It also helped that her assets consisted of a house, furniture, an 11 year old car, and clothing - no investments, no retirement. She has to be careful about earnings for about a year, and anything she sells (i.e. can't sell the house), but otherwise the debt is basically gone.

Get a good lawyer, read up on your state's laws (Texas is one of the best to do a BK in, your house and 1 vehicle per person of driving age is exempt, along with livestock, 30k in personal property, clothing, anything related to making a living, TV, etc), and possibly profit if debt collectors try to collect on discharged debt. It's $500 per violation of the FDCPA, and you can easily rack up 20+ in one call. TX is a one party consent state (meaning only one person has to be aware that the call is being recorded); the lawyers have already paid for themselves and then some from the lawsuits against the collectors. Texas also applies the FDCPA to first party collectors instead of only third party.

mariooncrack posted:

$50 isn't enough for a gift card? What the hell. I'd be super happy if I got that. What is he eating or the house eating that costs like $50 a day?

By low t, do you mean testosterone?

Nailed it. He gets shots once a month, and turns into a gigantic rear end in a top hat for about 2 weeks, then the next 2 weeks he just sleeps when he's off work. I'm all for most aspects of modern medicine, but "Low T" treatment has gotten out of control. There's so many lawsuits popping up over it causing heart attacks and such; I know half of it is ambulance chasers, but he has serious roid rage for at least a week after his shot.

He's honestly the king of coupons and sales, and Wal-Mart has their app that refunds any sale price differences to an e-gift card; there's a neighborhood market (Wal-Mart's version of a grocery store) just up the street. I scan all of the receipts into my account, and every month I'll go with him so they can enter the barcode from my phone. So it seemed like a Wal-Mart gift card would be perfect. :confused: He honestly seemed offended that I got him a gift card; I live day to day on tips, so it's kind of hard for me to plan anything over $50 outside of my car payment, car insurance, and cable/internet. I don't even pretend to know what kind of clothing he likes, and I know I personally prefer getting a gift card over clothing or anything else I may or may not like. For example, the only item of clothing my family has ever bought me for a gift that I liked has been a couple of pairs of boxers... in my 36 years on this planet. I have a stack of clothes that have been in my closet for 10+ years that I've worn maybe once or twice.

Irony: when I first signed up for my medical insurance (an HMO, meaning I get assigned to one primary care doctor, who has to make referrals to other doctors for me), they assigned me to a doctor who operated out of "Low T Center" (even though I'd requested a specific doctor). A doctor that had no interest in general or family practice. It took over a month of back and forth between my insurance to tell them no, this is not the doctor I selected, and no, this doctor does not do general practice. It finally took a letter from that doctor saying "hey assholes, I don't do GP or family practice, I only deal with guys who think they have small testicles, and btw, I no longer accept your insurance" to get their attention.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Mom did a chapter 7 last year; it was finalized in early December.

Go for it. It may seem embarrassing as hell, but she had about 75k of debt disappear instantly. It helped that the one lawyer a debtor sent showed up 30 minutes late (JP Morgan), after they'd already moved on to the next case. It also helped that her assets consisted of a house, furniture, an 11 year old car, and clothing - no investments, no retirement. She has to be careful about earnings for about a year, and anything she sells (i.e. can't sell the house), but otherwise the debt is basically gone.

Get a good lawyer, read up on your state's laws (Texas is one of the best to do a BK in, your house and 1 vehicle per person of driving age is exempt, along with livestock, 30k in personal property, clothing, anything related to making a living, TV, etc), and possibly profit if debt collectors try to collect on discharged debt. It's $500 per violation of the FDCPA, and you can easily rack up 20+ in one call. TX is a one party consent state (meaning only one person has to be aware that the call is being recorded); the lawyers have already paid for themselves and then some from the lawsuits against the collectors. Texas also applies the FDCPA to first party collectors instead of only third party.

My financial dirty laundry is fairly public, and I still wonder if it would have been better to file for bankruptcy back in '08 or '09 rather than take five years and pay off $43k worth of debt. I mean, that's $43k I could have held on to, right?

I have a house now, but perhaps I could have still gotten a house six years after declaring. I don't know.

It's all a moot point anyway.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

mafoose posted:

It depends on the person, I personally have an easier time doing intercooler piping than stainless steel exhausts. So many people think that because it sticks together it is a good weld. Most stainless welds you see people post are overheated to poo poo and will probably crack if it's going on a car.

Training got postponed til next week, which is nice because another 12hr day would have really sucked. We got some fancy Mazak mills, but everything awesome about them requires you to run their proprietary Mazatrol language, which we're not going to.
Yay for uneducated purchasing decisions!

we have a bunch of mazak 5 axis and they are pretty nice, but I don't think the proprietary poo poo is that hard to learn

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CornHolio posted:

I have a house now, but perhaps I could have still gotten a house six years after declaring. I don't know.

You could have had a house 6 months after declaring, easily; the banks all know you can't declare for another 7 years, and throw out all kinds of insane offers (with above average APRs though) - they know they can easily repo if you miss a single payment. Mom's been getting nonstop letters in the mail about "special post-bankruptcy financing" from every dealer, ranging from KIa to Lexus. She's on the fence about keeping her Avalon (mostly because the 1MZ-FE is pissing oil everywhere), but its value has already bottomed out - 1 owner, always well maintained. No sense in getting rid of it, the only issues it has is oil leaks, a power steering leak, and the drivers seatbelt is slow to retract. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it to Alaska and back (if it got a new battery first); aside from a blown diode in the alternator, it's been insanely reliable. The only things that have ever left it crippled has been battery issues. I trust it just as much as my newer/lower mileage Saturn to make the same trip.

I just got into healthcare.gov, and got my tax form. I wound up owing $262 for the year. :argh: That's half a loving paycheck, damnit.

I almost got into an ARM loan about 10 years ago. The house was so-so, but in my ideal neighborhood (older lower middle class, had an actual front porch, window a/c for every room with central heat, quiet neighborhood in a smaller city). For the price, the house was drat nice (IIRC it was $60k or $70k, bank repo, 3 bed/1 bath, around 1600 sq ft, decent sized lot, 1 car garage). I got scared off by the ARM bit; looking back, I'm glad I got scared off. The house also needed a roof, so I would have had to fly Ken down with the promise of junkyards full of non-rusty Jeeps, or do it myself.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 15, 2015

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

You could have had a house 6 months after declaring, easily; the banks all know you can't declare for another 7 years, and throw out all kinds of insane offers (with above average APRs though) - they know they can easily repo if you miss a single payment. Mom's been getting nonstop letters in the mail about "special post-bankruptcy financing" from every dealer, ranging from KIa to Lexus.

That's loving disgusting and predatory and I hate this dumb world.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

That's loving disgusting and predatory and I hate this dumb world.

Capitalism, and the Free Market sadists that want to enable them :allears:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm hoping to be debt free by the end of the year and my bank balance hit 5 figures (barely) for the first time since 2012. I'm going to have to live lean to pull that off but I'll be damned if I don't kick the poo poo out of this.

... I had $1.57 left in my account, an empty tank, and literally everything was overdue by 2-8 months the day I got my first paycheck in 2013.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

I'm hoping to be debt free by the end of the year and my bank balance hit 5 figures (barely) for the first time since 2012. I'm going to have to live lean to pull that off but I'll be damned if I don't kick the poo poo out of this.

... I had $1.57 left in my account, an empty tank, and literally everything was overdue by 2-8 months the day I got my first paycheck in 2013.

This past year was the first time I've hit 5 figures and held it there....ever. I cannot describe the liberating feeling that savings has actually given me despite what I've thought in the past.
Hopefully we'll start putting more away, hope to have at least a 6 month emergency savings if nothing else.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CommieGIR posted:

Capitalism, and the Free Market sadists that want to enable them :allears:

And part of the mess we are in is the fact that people just don't understand money, how it works, etc. Being debt free is good, but its ok to be in debt as long as you can manage your current debt load, and most people can't manage that. I still don't understand why schools can't have a basic fiance course before you graduate why its ok to use credit cards, but with in reason, and be able to pay the balance off with in a couple of months, etc. Or how to properly calculate a monthly budget with excess reserves, and so on.

But with the abundance of cheap credit, I don't think it will ever go away. If the interest rates ever climb about 8% or 9% these 300,000 homes are going to crash in value.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

And part of the mess we are in is the fact that people just don't understand money, how it works, etc. Being debt free is good, but its ok to be in debt as long as you can manage your current debt load, and most people can't manage that. I still don't understand why schools can't have a basic fiance course before you graduate why its ok to use credit cards, but with in reason, and be able to pay the balance off with in a couple of months, etc. Or how to properly calculate a monthly budget with excess reserves, and so on.

Mainly because a lot of these schools are wholly dependent upon you graduating and applying for unfair college loans. Profit oriented Education will destroy our country in the long run.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Mainly because a lot of these schools are wholly dependent upon you graduating and applying for unfair college loans. Profit oriented Education will destroy our country in the long run.

Especially when you can go somewhere else and get it for free. Add profit oriented education in with a hatred for math/science and you get land of the idiots.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Feeling a lot better today. It onky hurts when I move now instead of a constant back pain. Hopefully I'll be find by next week.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

Especially when you can go somewhere else and get it for free. Add profit oriented education in with a hatred for math/science and you get land of the idiots.

Because the vast majority of college age students are going to school to get a job to make money. We've made a mockery of education by overemphasizing the possibility of increased income over the things you can DO with the education.

So Math, Science, and even in many cases Engineering gets the short end of the stick because they are not high earners generally. Not to mention schools dumping funding out of R&D and into College Sports programs and the emphasis of partying at college and you get American Education.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Also, the whole working with your hands is generally disdained upon any more.

Blue collar job... what are you a neanderthal? Lets not forget plumbers, electricians and carpenters that are doing fairly well for themselves with out the soul crushing debt of college.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

BrokenKnucklez posted:

When I worked as a tech people would generally go "oh" when they found out what I did, like I was cookin' up meth in a trailerpark hanging chevy 305s from the tounge of my trailerhouse.

CommieGIR posted:

So Math, Science, and even in many cases Engineering gets the short end of the stick because they are not high earners generally. Not to mention schools dumping funding out of R&D and into College Sports programs and the emphasis of partying at college and you get American Education.

This. Why use your head when you can playfootball, sue your neighbors into deeper poverty, or play the lotto and win big.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

When I worked as a tech people would generally go "oh" when they found out what I did, like I was cookin' up meth in a trailerpark hanging chevy 305s from the tounge of my trailerhouse.

It's weird explaining what I do in my spare time, even. I wouldn't be surprised if it's cost me interviews in the past.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

I get this a lot too, there is some weird emphasis that being able to fix things and being handy is 'bad' in some way.

Had a coworker who was awestruck that I even knew how to FIX a car, let alone that I was capable of building one. When I said I fix them, she asked "Why don't you just take it to a mechanic"

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

cursedshitbox posted:

Well, it was Rover V8s and a Bus, but lets not split hairs :v:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's weird explaining what I do in my spare time, even. I wouldn't be surprised if it's cost me interviews in the past.

I scream FOOTBALL! BEER! BABES! that seems to get you a job easy. I just keep my hobbies quiet. I post some poo poo on facebook but not anything else.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Well, it was Rover V8s and a Bus, but lets not split hairs :v:

HAHAHA, NICE.

Apparently using your hands for anything other than jacking off updating facebook is bad.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

cursedshitbox posted:

Oh god, yeah, telling someone (well, certain types of someone) you are a mechanic is basically the same thing as telling someone you are an active Klan member. :smith: I just want to fix cars and not be poo poo on for it.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

cursedshitbox posted:

I know several people that adamantly refuse to have children because of stuff like this. I know several others that are scared shitless about when school time comes and generally the kind of world their children are going to inherit. They're thinking about homeschooling but that doesn't come without a whole mess of disadvantages by itself.

Our country is terrible and we should feel terrible :smith:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 218 days!)

cursedshitbox posted:

Apparently using your hands for anything other than jacking off updating facebook is bad.

It could be worse. You could be harboring a straggly hobo beard.

I still read every stupid beard response in this thread as "poundhash bearpride" in my head. :v:

The one good thing about my trip out to see gramps was that he was incredibly (eerily) lucid.

I told him I spent less time with computers and more with the cars. Thanks to my thermostat wacking out at -10f and sticking open (loving failsafes), I got to replace it in his driveway. With a -20 to -30 windchill and sideways blowing snow. Of course all I brought was a lovely 40 piece socket set, but I got it done. I told him I had to borrow his open end 10mm and coveralls (he was one hell of a mechanic) from the garage (didn't tell him it was for the Ferd, or he'd have a shitfit knowing how metric everything is). I got the biggest smile. :3:

I tried to get him to tell me about the 351 he dropped in the Vega for my uncle, but he seemed more interested in talking about how Ma used to always burn up her clutches drive, and she'd come home and bitch about how gutless her Roadrunner was if she lost a race (in the 1/4, of course, before it became a highway). He'd put a heavy duty one in, and she'd have it roasted within a monthweek.

I had no idea that Ma was Danica Patrick Jr (other than her vocabulary)- and I'm kind of jealous. When do I get a muscle car (without trading for the house), huh!?

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 15, 2015

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
My dad got laid off until March, so today hes going to a hobby shop to maybe start building model cars again. :3:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Blue collar job... what are you a neanderthal? Lets not forget plumbers, electricians and carpenters that are doing fairly well for themselves with out the soul crushing debt of college.

It's not that it's disdained, it's that there aren't that many of these type of jobs available anymore, largely because the whole point of technological advancement is to save labor. I hear so many people say poo poo like this, that STEM and trade schools are the solution to America's employment problems but it isn't true and has not been true since the United States transitioned to a post industrial economy. The biggest problem is that we have some people working 3500+ hours a year to support themselves adequately and we have other people who are unable to find work at all, despite any training or job skills. The 40 hour work week is an artifact of the early 20th century when work was far more labor intensive than it is now, and should be adjusted accordingly.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
You can't fix a sewer main or fix an electrical panel with labor saving. It still requires a person to go out, dig up the poo poo, and physically cut out the old pipe and repair it. And yes, we don't have the massive amount of people that it takes to fix a road but it still takes quite an army of men. Between the transportation of materials, workers to run the machines and so on.

I am not talking about factory jobs, those are gone.

and for god sakes, quit loving with the font. This makes my eyes hurt.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

BrokenKnucklez posted:

and for god sakes, quit loving with the font. This makes my eyes hurt.

Anyone who doesn't have a browser with anti-aliasing is clearly sub human. Also if you have pale moon or firefox it's quite easy to change the font using the content settings.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Extra posted:

Anyone who doesn't have a browser with anti-aliasing is clearly sub human.

Im using firefox..... does this do it? Either way, I just miss the old font. It was easy to read. Either that its time for new contacts/glasses.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Lucky you.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/change-fonts-and-colors-websites-use

quote:

In the window that opens uncheck the box next to Allow pages to choose their own fonts, instead of my selections above.

Arial forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 218 days!)

So, my bluetooth OBDII adapter from Amazon with a REAL ELM 327 (a pretty drat convincing silkscreen on the chip) worked perfectly, but the software CD was literally cracked. I contacted the seller, and let them know the CD was broken, and I was using it with Torque, but wouldn't mind the supporting software.

After 2 exchanges regarding my purchase information, I was sent a link to a :filez: dump. Did they misinterpret the CD being cracked? Oh, Amazon your sellers so crazy! :allears:

• Locked thread