Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
I wouldnt be suprised if this has already been mentioned here...
Im reading UNBROKEN right now. The author references this:
NSFW pics http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanking_Massacre:gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Are you really just now learning about that

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

atomicthumbs posted:

Maybe he grew up in Japan

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I grew up in Japan so I know the rape of Nanking is nothing but western pigdog propaganda and slander

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Frostwerks posted:

I put it down to him being a dumb motherfucker.

Dumb motherfucker is an acceptable explanation too. He comes across like that kid in high school who browsed rotten.com and couldn't wait to tell you all the SICK NASTY stuff he found. "Guys... guys listen... then he DRANK their BLOOD!"

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

atomicthumbs posted:

I went to school in the U.S. and Japan's atrocities like Nanking were never really covered or mentioned at all, even though we went over WWII and stuff like the Holocaust pretty much every year from probably 5th grade onward. I could easily see how someone might not know about it.

Come to think of it there wasn't even that much about the Pacific theater in general other than "Pearl Harbor happened and then we dropped some nuclear bombs a while later." It was pretty much all Hitler and Holocaust.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
It's Hitlers all the way down

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Gibfender posted:

It's Hitlers all the way down

More like enough pictures of mass graves and dead bodies to give me nightmares as a kid. :smith:

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I work with some schizophrenic people and tbh the majority I know are harmless and most of their delusions sound like bad Nicholas Cage movie plots.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

NonzeroCircle posted:

I work with some schizophrenic people and tbh the majority I know are harmless and most of their delusions sound like bad Nicholas Cage movie plots.

A guy I knew growing up developed paranoid schizophrenia and his delusion was that the World Bank were building a giant laser inside a local hotel and were going to destroy the world by reflecting the beam off the moon. Theory checks out.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009

MightyJoe36 posted:

Not much. How's it feel to be older than the Super Bowl?

Like I need to poop and sleep, mostly. Probably the same as every tiring, Alzheimer and nap-riddled day here at the Flynn Rest Home. ;)
*sends an aged internet high five*

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009

NonzeroCircle posted:

I had a friend who worked the state mental hospital here and it was interesting to me and her both how the focus of paranoid delusions went from 'the Russians are after me/poisoning me through the radiator/etc" to "Al Qaeda is after me/poisoning me through the radiator/etc". I guess even schizophrenics keep up with the news.

Content, not forums searched and hopefully not already here (at least not terribly recently):
Pee Wee Gaskins, one of the most horrible serial killers ever, IMO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Henry_Gaskins

The Serial Killers podcast had a bunch of episodes covering in pretty chilling detail how awful an excuse for a human he was.

obviously I fucked it has a new favorite as of 15:05 on Jan 15, 2015

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Stolen from the osha.jpg thread

http://www.outsideonline.com/adventure-travel/africa/south-africa/Raising-the-Dead.html

I just don't see the appeal in cave diving or people who drag themselves through tiny caves where you can get stuck purely to get to the bottom

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
James Tilly Matthews was the first documented case of paranoid schizophrenia, in 1797. His delusions centered around a device called the Air Loom.

quote:

Matthews believed that a gang of criminals and spies skilled in pneumatic chemistry had taken up residence at London Wall in Moorfields (close to Bethlem) and were tormenting him by means of rays emitted by a machine called the "Air Loom". The torments induced by the rays included "Lobster-cracking", during which the circulation of the blood was prevented by a magnetic field; "Stomach-skinning"; and "Apoplexy-working with the nutmeg grater" which involved the introduction of fluids into the skull. His persecutors bore such names as "the Middleman" (who operated the Air Loom), "the Glove Woman" and "Sir Archy" (who acted as "repeaters" or "active worriers" to enhance Matthews' torment or record the machine's activities) and their leader, a man called "Bill, or the King".

Matthews' delusions had a definite political slant: he claimed that the purpose of this gang was espionage, and that there were many other such gangs armed with Air Looms all over London, using "pneumatic practitioners" to "premagnetize" potential victims with "volatile magnetic fluid". According to Matthews, their chief targets (apart from himself) were leading government figures. By means of their "rays" they could influence ministers' thoughts and read their minds. Matthews declared that William Pitt was "not half" susceptible to these attacks[3] and held that these gangs were responsible for the British military disasters at Buenos Aires in 1807 and Walcheren in 1809 and also for the Nore Mutiny of 1797.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

James Tilly Matthews was the first documented case of paranoid schizophrenia, in 1797. His delusions centered around a device called the Air Loom.

That's a great story. Some years ago, I saw a talk by Mike Jay who later wrote a book about it. Matthews was one of the first cases of delusion to examined in detail and Jay pointed out interesting facets of his testimony: these drawings of huge complex machines with things that looked like displays and controls, the fact that there was always part of the machine hidden or obscured in the drawings (with Matthew asserting "I don't know about that part"), this strange and detailed cavalcade of characters that manipulated the machine included a woman who always seemed to have her hands bound or feet shackled.

The kicker is that Matthews paranoia was actually based on actual betrayal and abandonment, thus not being so paranoid at all.

Here's an article about it: http://www.nthposition.com/theairloomgangjames.php

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

errol _flynn posted:

Content, not forums searched and hopefully not already here (at least not terribly recently):
Pee Wee Gaskins, one of the most horrible serial killers ever, IMO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Henry_Gaskins

The Serial Killers podcast had a bunch of episodes covering in pretty chilling detail how awful an excuse for a human he was.

Holy gently caress. I've never heard of this guy. He is pure evil. I hesitate to call him a victim of his environment, but his upbringing certainly didn't help.. A microscopic part of me feels a little sorry for him, but goddamn, what a monster.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

New Leaf posted:

Holy gently caress. I've never heard of this guy. He is pure evil. I hesitate to call him a victim of his environment, but his upbringing certainly didn't help.. A microscopic part of me feels a little sorry for him, but goddamn, what a monster.

Or it could have been the kerosene he drank, and the neglect and abuse from every adult who should have taken care of him which scrambled him a little?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

New Leaf posted:

I'm pretty sure I said this the last time he came up in the thread but that death row murder is like something the Joker would do. How the gently caress do you even get hold of C4 on death row?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

And how does the son of somebody's murder victim contact, hire, and pay the dude without arousing anyone's suspicion? He just starts popping into visitation hours and nobody notices? Do they even have visitation on death row?

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
'65 checking in. PYF is the forums old folks home, apparently. :corsair:

New Leaf posted:

He is still, no poo poo, like the boogeyman in South Carolina. I remember his arrest when I was a kid, and the awful details that kept coming out. He still terrifies us around here. They found remains from two of his victims in a swamp not far from my family's house.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Kimmalah posted:

I went to school in the U.S. and Japan's atrocities like Nanking were never really covered or mentioned at all, even though we went over WWII and stuff like the Holocaust pretty much every year from probably 5th grade onward. I could easily see how someone might not know about it.

Come to think of it there wasn't even that much about the Pacific theater in general other than "Pearl Harbor happened and then we dropped some nuclear bombs a while later." It was pretty much all Hitler and Holocaust.

My school didn't discuss Nanking either but it's kind of something that pops up pretty frequently in popular culture. I can't imagine someone not knowing about it by the time they hit 18. I'm trying to figure out what sort of rock you'd have to live under to have no idea about it.

For content:
http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/weird/chase/index_1.html

The only serial killer with schizophrenia I can think of off the top of my head is Richard Chase. He was driven by the paranoid and persistent delusion that he was a vampire who needed to consume blood otherwise his organs would turn to dust but he also raped his dead victims so it can't be said that was his only motivation. I feel like this guy distinctly sticks out to me in my mind because he is just so weird and disorganized. He has this strange fascination urine and feces and would wander into people's houses to poop in their beds and would shove feces into the mouths of those he'd killed (after consuming their blood and organs). He also put babies in blenders not once but TWICE though in the current crime library database only one of these instances is still noted. I do remember that the first time I read about him on Crime Library they said he removed the fetus of his one pregnant victim, placed it into a blender, and then drank it out of a yogurt container but that information is missing now. That's not really an easy thing to forget about the case though its removal may indicate it was disproved. He did blend the organs of at least one baby though, which makes him extra scary and unnerving.

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013
'63 also checking in, apparently PYF is full of old people.

Get off my lawn! :corsair:

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

The only serial killer with schizophrenia I can think of off the top of my head is Richard Chase. He was driven by the paranoid and persistent delusion that he was a vampire who needed to consume blood otherwise his organs would turn to dust but he also raped his dead victims so it can't be said that was his only motivation. I feel like this guy distinctly sticks out to me in my mind because he is just so weird and disorganized. He has this strange fascination urine and feces and would wander into people's houses to poop in their beds and would shove feces into the mouths of those he'd killed (after consuming their blood and organs). He also put babies in blenders not once but TWICE though in the current crime library database only one of these instances is still noted. I do remember that the first time I read about him on Crime Library they said he removed the fetus of his one pregnant victim, placed it into a blender, and then drank it out of a yogurt container but that information is missing now. That's not really an easy thing to forget about the case though its removal may indicate it was disproved. He did blend the organs of at least one baby though, which makes him extra scary and unnerving.

Also this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Mullin

Believed his victims asked to die 'telepathically' and also thought he was preventing earthquakes and 'the End Times' by killing people...

CrotchDropJeans
Jan 4, 2015
Why does it seem like there were a disproportionate number of serial killers active in the 70s? Were there really more active back then or was it just a combination of improved investigating/media attention?

Thread content: Joe Ball, Texas' answer to Robert Pickton, may be apocryphal but is alleged to have fed 20+ women to his pond full of alligators. Edit: you have to put thelink in, dummy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Ball

Speaking of Pickton, I once went to a work social where the ice breaker was to talk about your hometown. A dude happened to be from Pickton's town in BC and told us all about the murders in gruesome detail. We were at a restaurant. Eating pork.

CrotchDropJeans has a new favorite as of 23:55 on Jan 15, 2015

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

CrotchDropJeans posted:

Why does it seem like there were a disproportionate number of serial killers active in the 70s? Were there really more active back then or was it just a combination of improved investigating/media attention?

Thread content: Joe Ball, Texas' answer to Robert Pickton, may be apocryphal but is alleged to have fed 20+ women to his pond full of alligators. Edit: you have to put thelink in, dummy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Ball

Speaking of Pickton, I once went to a work social where the ice breaker was to talk about your hometown. A dude happened to be from Pickton's town in BC and told us all about the murders in gruesome detail. We were at a restaurant. Eating pork.

Link for you

efb; good edit :D

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CrotchDropJeans posted:

There's a pretty good book that covers the belief that there were a lot of serial killers in the 70s: Peter Vronsky's Serial Killers. The short answer is that there weren't that many more serial killers than in the surrounding decades, but that the category of "serial killer" really only started to form, so lots of killers just weren't seen that way even though they were clearly serial killers. He says it's also an artifact of the way news markets started to work in that time--and that once people started saying that it seemed like there were a lot of serial killers all of a sudden, it became a self-fulfilling prophecy where reporters went out of their way to find as many as they could.

He also says that the behaviors we think of as typical of serial killers really only become components of recorded killings in the nineteenth century, partially because people need a lot of leisure time to first develop the fantasies that drive the killing and then especially to stalk and kill. So modern capitalism is basically a prerequisite for serial killers.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

CrotchDropJeans posted:

I think newer investigative methods and increased media consumption are part of it. I think it's also the fact that the "serial" part of serial killers implies some passage of time. It takes time to rack up a body count, time for authorities to notice a pattern in victims, and time for multiple jurisdictions to communicate with one another and realize something unusual is going on. Also, the ones who are identified as serial killers are the ones who get away with it for a while (see: time to rack up a body count, above.) The guy that gets caught first or second time out won't get the sort of media attention the big names do. I think in thirty years, someone will be saying, "Does it seem like there were a lot of serial killers working in the early 2000s?"

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

atomicthumbs posted:

I don't know everything about everything. I know that is a prerequisite for being a goon, so please don't report me to the mods.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jack Gladney posted:

He also says that the behaviors we think of as typical of serial killers really only become components of recorded killings in the nineteenth century, partially because people need a lot of leisure time to first develop the fantasies that drive the killing and then especially to stalk and kill. So modern capitalism is basically a prerequisite for serial killers.

But the agrarian lifestyles that preceded the industrial revolution had massive amounts of down time. Like whole months where the people would only work a couple of hours a day (this is offset by working twelve to fourteen hour days, seven days a week, for a few months straight during the busy seasons). It doesn't really add up.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

But the agrarian lifestyles that preceded the industrial revolution had massive amounts of down time. Like whole months where the people would only work a couple of hours a day (this is offset by working twelve to fourteen hour days, seven days a week, for a few months straight during the busy seasons). It doesn't really add up.

But without the anonymity of urban life and ease of travel enabled by the industrial revolution, which are also things he mentions.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ThatGirlAtThatShow posted:

'63 also checking in, apparently PYF is full of old people.

Get off my lawn! :corsair:

Also this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Mullin

Believed his victims asked to die 'telepathically' and also thought he was preventing earthquakes and 'the End Times' by killing people...

Content

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Singleton

quote:

American criminal known for perpetrating an infamous rape and mutilation of a teenage hitchhiker in California in 1978. Released from prison after serving only eight years of his fourteen-year sentence, he went on to murder a second woman, for which he was sentenced to death in 1997. He died in 2001 of natural causes before the sentence could be carried out.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Jack Gladney posted:

But without the anonymity of urban life and ease of travel enabled by the industrial revolution, which are also things he mentions.

I don't know, you've got Gilles de Rais and Elizabeth Bathory as pre-modern serial killers just off the top of my head - you could argue maybe you had to be an aristocrat of some sort to be a serial killer before the industrial era, but I suspect it's just the noble killers are remembered because they were nobles and got proper trials and were public figures.

The need for anonymity might be a point, but I bet you could get away with a fair number of killings in classical Rome or Alexandria just as easily as in a modern city.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
You've got those Scots who ate people in a cave too. There's a long history of it, but it's possible that modern society allows for it to be more common.

It's equally likely that poor records, poor policing, and the general lack of communication at the time have covered up evidence of historical ones.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Angry Salami posted:

I don't know, you've got Gilles de Rais and Elizabeth Bathory as pre-modern serial killers just off the top of my head - you could argue maybe you had to be an aristocrat of some sort to be a serial killer before the industrial era, but I suspect it's just the noble killers are remembered because they were nobles and got proper trials and were public figures.

The need for anonymity might be a point, but I bet you could get away with a fair number of killings in classical Rome or Alexandria just as easily as in a modern city.

Vronsky gives a chapter to each, actually, and speculates in a pretty half-assed way about folklore creatures like werewolves and vampires that were normal people who transformed into monsters, saying they could have historical origins with premodern people driven to kill. He also writes about HH Holmes and that lady in New Orleans who did crazy mutilation sex stuff to her slaves. He says of her and the others that they could do it because they had near-total aristocratic power, and that once they were found out the community did go after them.

He mentions Sawney Bean too, and says the story was probably embellished.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

How in the gently caress.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Cornjob posted:

I don't know everything about everything. I know that is a prerequisite for being a goon, so please don't report me to the mods.

The Rape of Nanking isn't like nerd-night trivia, though. However, you shouldn't have to go out of your way to look up random poo poo about history, either. They should have taught you that in school, but they hosed up.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

quote:

On September 29, 1978, Singleton picked up 15-year-old Mary Vincent of Las Vegas while she was hitchhiking in Berkeley, California, raped her, and then severed both her forearms with a hatchet, throwing her off a 30-foot cliff outside of Modesto, California, leaving her naked and near death. She managed to pull herself back up the cliff and alert a passerby, who took her to a hospital. By the time of Singleton's arrest, Vincent wore prosthetic arms.

:stare: Jesus Christ

E: Vincent apparently went on to have a pretty fulfilling life with a happy family. She even draws and paints. What a kick rear end woman.

Here she is playing pool:

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 08:00 on Jan 16, 2015

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Mak0rz posted:

:stare: Jesus Christ

E: Vincent apparently went on to have a pretty fulfilling life with a happy family. She even draws and paints. What a kick rear end woman.

Here she is playing pool:

She also continued to gently caress that guy over until the day he died. It's beautiful. It must have felt so satisfying to her every time her presence in a courtroom hurt his case more and more.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Angry Salami posted:

I don't know, you've got Gilles de Rais and Elizabeth Bathory as pre-modern serial killers

For what it's worth Bathroy probably wasn't a serial killer. The claims with historical weight behind don't really paint her in that light.

nucleicmaxid posted:

It's equally likely that poor records, poor policing, and the general lack of communication at the time have covered up evidence of historical ones.

That's my thinking. Twelfth century's Farmer Joe might have killed a dozen people but they caught him for one and hung him the next day without the people executing him aware that the victims of the recent "wolf" attacks were all his. Unless you have someone who can actually assemble the facts and find the patterns that define serial killers then they're going to be effectively invisible, indistinguishable from any other common killer.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
There are those who think serial killers did peak in the 70s and 80s. Work isn't really the place I want to Google for serial killer stuff but there are some articles out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Once the idea of the serial killer entered the public consciousness, there were probably many inspired to follow that path who would have otherwise not so it's probably a combination of both ideas.

There were people like the Thuggees who supposedly killed thousands under the belief that the murders prevented Kali from destroying the world (but may have been somewhat exaggerated by the British to justify wiping them out.)

For other kinda creepy colonial era Indian stuff that may be exaggerated, the article links to the Juggernaut, an icon on wheels that devotees supposedly threw themselves underneath (or conversely died in horrible accidents due to overcrowding) and the Black Hole of Calcutta which really makes me really anxious because the idea of being crushed in a large crowd is a phobia of mine to the extent that I won't ride the subway if it's too busy.