Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
something i'd like to see is a system where traffic laws, just speed limits to start but maybe stop lights and such at some point, are sent to cars on a network. so, your car's gps says it just entered Sump Pump Falls, it gets the traffic rules for the area and the max speed the car will go is limited to the speed limit for the road it's on. maybe eventually it'd prevent you from running red lights or something, iunno.

has anyone talked about doing that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

because there's definitely never a situation where speeding up or not immediately stopping for a red could be necessary to avoid a collision

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

THC posted:

because there's definitely never a situation where speeding up or not immediately stopping for a red could be necessary to avoid a collision

does it happen more often than speeding or running reds causes accidents?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

looking forward to holding the automotive industry to the same standard as the android bugtrakcer

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Stringent posted:

the highest crash incidence occurs in and around construction zones

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Stringent posted:

speeding in relation to posted speed limits rarely causes crashes

speeding in relation to actual design speed of the road is what does, and they're not often connected speeds

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Stringent posted:

doesn't matter because now your car is forcing you to get into an accident you would have avoided if you sped up thru a yellow or whatever.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
lol at forcibly taking control away from a driver for any reason.

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

if 100% of cars were automated then yeah programming in stop signs/red lights should be flawless

hell you probably wouldn't even need any signage or any driver control in those cases

but that's never going to be the case

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Miley Virus posted:

if 100% of cars were automated then yeah programming in stop signs/red lights should be flawless

hell you probably wouldn't even need any signage or any driver control in those cases

but that's never going to be the case

your average driver perceives roughly 2 in 5 signs on any trip

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
hey guys here's how to solve our traffic safety problem, an API!

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

hey guys here's how to solve our traffic safety problem, an API!

ill make the bootstrap frontend

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

THC posted:

Just make a manual override that calls the police so if you speed without a good reason you get shot

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

it's my constitutional rite to text while drunk driving

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Nintendo Kid posted:

speeding in relation to posted speed limits rarely causes crashes

speeding in relation to actual design speed of the road is what does, and they're not often connected speeds

i was under the impression that the speed can exacerbate the severity of the crash though, is that not so?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Stringent posted:

it's my constitutional rite to text while drunk driving

hahaha ok

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Stringent posted:

i was under the impression that the speed can exacerbate the severity of the crash though, is that not so?

when you're over 45 mph it's already about as bad as possible for ya, the chances of accidents scale not with speeding related to the posted legal limit, but with speeding relative to design speed and speeding relative to everyone else on the road near you.

lets say you're on a curving highway with a posted speed limit of 55 mph, design speed of 90 mph (this is generally what north american freeways are built to when they're not otherwise constrained by thigns like having to wind through a city), and the traffic averaging at 75 mph.

if you're going 55 you will likely cause an accident by being significantly slower. if you're going 75 with traffic, you are at the lowest risk of crashes possible, if you're going 110 mph you're probably gonna crash into one of the sides because your stupid car is not designed to handle the weaving and turning you're doing on your oldass tires

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
hehe, look at him go!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there's a video in the AI "horrible mechanical failures" thread demonstrating what happens to a modern car, designed to save you from a 60mph crash, when it pancakes at 120mph but ok fishmech we believe you there's no danger in driving faster.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sagebrush posted:

there's a video in the AI "horrible mechanical failures" thread demonstrating what happens to a modern car, designed to save you from a 60mph crash, when it pancakes at 120mph but ok fishmech we believe you there's no danger in driving faster.

i specifically said 120 is going to get you killed, please try to keep up

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i sometimes get in a car

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

cars suck rear end and hearing you talk about how to make them drive themselves is like hearing you talk about how to get dogs to pick up their own poo poo

don't get a dog in the first place if it's so much trouble.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
fishmech was right

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

cars do this today.

traction control = take away throttle control

pedestrian and wall safety. = brake the car automatically if a collision is detected under 10-15mph. takes away brake control

abs = takes away brake control and does it for you.

modern ecu = take away performance if a problem is detected.

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
the cool thing about abs is how there is no way to turn it off in most cars so they kill their drivers on ice or gravel

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

newreply.php posted:

the cool thing about abs is how there is no way to turn it off in most cars so they kill their drivers on ice or gravel
except abs was made to help braking on ice, if i recall correctly

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

newreply.php posted:

yeah because the best thing to do to stop on ice is to lock the brakes up

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
locked brakes provide better grip on ice, abs is meant for regular roads

quote:

In gravel, sand and deep snow, ABS tends to increase braking distances. On these surfaces, locked wheels dig in and stop the vehicle more quickly. ABS prevents this from occurring. Some ABS calibrations reduce this problem by slowing the cycling time, thus letting the wheels repeatedly briefly lock and unlock. Some vehicle manufacturers provide an "off-road" button to turn ABS function off. The primary benefit of ABS on such surfaces is to increase the ability of the driver to maintain control of the car rather than go into a skid, though loss of control remains more likely on soft surfaces such as gravel or on slippery surfaces such as snow or ice. On a very slippery surface such as sheet ice or gravel, it is possible to lock multiple wheels at once, and this can defeat ABS (which relies on comparing all four wheels, and detecting individual wheels skidding). Availability of ABS relieves most drivers from learning threshold braking.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

on complete sheet ice you're basically hosed anyway

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

A Pinball Wizard posted:

fishmech was right

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

newreply.php posted:

locked brakes provide better grip on ice, abs is meant for regular roads

So don't drive fast in that poo poo, god

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

full throttle and braking at all times

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Captain Foo posted:

on complete sheet ice you're basically hosed anyway

abs should not function in winter

slush over packed snow isn't hard to stop on if you know what threshold braking is and you aren't driving like an idiot, but abs makes it basically impossible so you just stand on the brake like a moron and hope nothing's coming through the intersection

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

god is my brake

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

smdh if you aren't parking like this all the time

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Progressive JPEG posted:

i learned to drive from a combination of pole position and r/c pro-am

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

oh my god people shut the gently caress up

i don't want to see any posts itt for the next 2 hours

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Nintendo Kid posted:

when you're over 45 mph it's already about as bad as possible for ya, the chances of accidents scale not with speeding related to the posted legal limit, but with speeding relative to design speed and speeding relative to everyone else on the road near you.

lets say you're on a curving highway with a posted speed limit of 55 mph, design speed of 90 mph (this is generally what north american freeways are built to when they're not otherwise constrained by thigns like having to wind through a city), and the traffic averaging at 75 mph.

if you're going 55 you will likely cause an accident by being significantly slower. if you're going 75 with traffic, you are at the lowest risk of crashes possible, if you're going 110 mph you're probably gonna crash into one of the sides because your stupid car is not designed to handle the weaving and turning you're doing on your oldass tires

in traffic engineering we call them crashes b/c "accident" implies that they are unavoidable

just a lil tip for ya

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

duTrieux. posted:

oh my god people shut the gently caress up

i don't want to see any posts itt for the next 2 hours
ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cold on a Cob posted:

jfc how long has chrome had my first name in the top right corner???
i did only now notice what you mean
jfc :psyduck:

• Locked thread