Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

FiestaNinja posted:

I think the 'jewel like objects' quote comes from the Chapterhouse guy.

7 posts above you dude. It's from GW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Grey Hunter posted:

The second quote is what boggles my mind. I mean, I can understand the first one, where they say that its basically men who collect minis, but the idea that there will always be someone who will want to buy citadel minis, and ONLY citadel miniatures is crazy.

he posts in this thread under the name 'serious gaylord'

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I hope that GW doesn't got bankrupt because I still want to buy models.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Broken Loose posted:

You completely worship 40k, so maybe you'll understand the following: MS had an 84% chance of going bankrupt. In order for them to avoid it, they had to literally lose a billion dollars. They avoided it.

84% is not guaranteed. It's a 2+ save! According to your logic, it's completely impossible for a Terminator to fail his armor save. In Microsoft's case, they underwent astronomical efforts to avoid going under.

GW has cut all costs possible for them to cut. The company has expressed no desire to found a marketing department, embrace the modern gaming community, bring their manufacturing up to 21st century standards, fix the core problems of their games, obtain reliable alternate revenue streams, stop alienating their userbase, gain new customers, or implement any sort of effort to change in any of at least a hundred other ways. The company is only interested in the laziest possible moneymaking practices, none of which are sustainable strategies.

I wish you were banned. You're a terrible loving gimmick, and if you aren't a gimmick, I wish nothing but absolute agony on you. I hope you wake up to your loved one's cold corpse in the passenger seat of your car, leaving you nothing a barrage of bile and hatred from her family and a piercing trauma that gives you panic attacks each time you see the loving sun rise. The fact that a person like you could conceivably exist and is keeping this company afloat is why McCain and Palin achieved more than 0 votes in the 2008 election. You are proof that this world is hell. I would rather these forums be populated by nothing but 7thBatallions, Noctis Horrendaes, TheBluePyramids, and Hollismasons all hopped up on drugs, fashioning greenstuff teeth for each other and bashing together Hammerheads out of dog poo poo and chicken bones, than ever be confirmed that you genuinely believe the puke-ocalypse of fanaticism and horseshit that you expouse online. gently caress.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:captainpop:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Broken Loose posted:

You completely worship 40k, so maybe you'll understand the following: MS had an 84% chance of going bankrupt. In order for them to avoid it, they had to literally lose a billion dollars. They avoided it.

84% is not guaranteed. It's a 2+ save! According to your logic, it's completely impossible for a Terminator to fail his armor save. In Microsoft's case, they underwent astronomical efforts to avoid going under.

GW has cut all costs possible for them to cut. The company has expressed no desire to found a marketing department, embrace the modern gaming community, bring their manufacturing up to 21st century standards, fix the core problems of their games, obtain reliable alternate revenue streams, stop alienating their userbase, gain new customers, or implement any sort of effort to change in any of at least a hundred other ways. The company is only interested in the laziest possible moneymaking practices, none of which are sustainable strategies.

I wish you were banned. You're a terrible loving gimmick, and if you aren't a gimmick, I wish nothing but absolute agony on you. I hope you wake up to your loved one's cold corpse in the passenger seat of your car, leaving you nothing a barrage of bile and hatred from her family and a piercing trauma that gives you panic attacks each time you see the loving sun rise. The fact that a person like you could conceivably exist and is keeping this company afloat is why McCain and Palin achieved more than 0 votes in the 2008 election. You are proof that this world is hell. I would rather these forums be populated by nothing but 7thBatallions, Noctis Horrendaes, TheBluePyramids, and Hollismasons all hopped up on drugs, fashioning greenstuff teeth for each other and bashing together Hammerheads out of dog poo poo and chicken bones, than ever be confirmed that you genuinely believe the puke-ocalypse of fanaticism and horseshit that you expouse online. gently caress.

Yes grandpa now sit down and take your heart medication

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I lol'd and honestly I think it's even funnier that it got reported.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Ah yes, the WWE strategy of Pro Wrestling isn't what we do we're a SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT company. When you're the titanic giant sitting in control of an industry it's really easy for you to decided that you ARE the industry and that means when people say bad things about you they are wrong because you aren't "common term for your industry" you are a company that makes "made up thing you decided your product is".

Sometimes it makes sense to do it. LEGO does it because they are dangerously close to their name becoming a generic term in some places where they sell toys, Nintendo did it in the 80's because after the whole "Atari fucks up and destroys an industry" thing the term video game was poison to investors and marketers. But companies like GW and WWE do it because they are extremely litigious and also because they would rather be the Kim Il Sung that has defeated all their enemies and rests victorious upon the throne of a tiny self proclaimed most important piece land than be a Francis II who once ruled an empire and had to pair down their ambitions to stay in power, consolidate their holdings and settle with being Franz I.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I too am astonished that any company can endeavor to turn its' misfortunes around and somehow manage to avoid bankruptcy.
It is for someone whose so supportive of GW :v:

drat, BL finally broke.
I think I may have missed something with 7thBatallion, he always seemed like a reasonable yet disenfranchised Tyranids player (for good reason).

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I thank Broken Loose for the effort in tracking down those quotes!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Sometimes it makes sense to do it. LEGO does it because they are dangerously close to their name becoming a generic term in some places where they sell toys, Nintendo did it in the 80's because after the whole "Atari fucks up and destroys an industry" thing the term video game was poison to investors and marketers. But companies like GW and WWE do it because they are extremely litigious and also because they would rather be the Kim Il Sung that has defeated all their enemies and rests victorious upon the throne of a tiny self proclaimed most important piece land than be a Francis II who once ruled an empire and had to pair down their ambitions to stay in power, consolidate their holdings and settle with being Franz I.

Speaking from experience, I'd say plastic block games come in two varieties: "LEGO" or "disappointment".

I'd say GW just can't do business and their shareholders are comatose Victorian men on life support. How do your read report that states "people will always buy our product, and we don't need to test waters for that" in any kind of business and go "yeah, that's sounds right".

Also, how did Warhammer become so big if the rules aren't that good (or so everyone claims). Was there an edition sweet spot - between the crazy stats of 2nd and the onslaught USR, Psychic phase and poo poo - or just that GW had their own stores or...? I mean, everyone on the thread must have played WHFB/40K at some point, otherwise they wouldn't be so angry.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

JcDent posted:

Also, how did Warhammer become so big if the rules aren't that good (or so everyone claims). Was there an edition sweet spot - between the crazy stats of 2nd and the onslaught USR, Psychic phase and poo poo - or just that GW had their own stores or...? I mean, everyone on the thread must have played WHFB/40K at some point, otherwise they wouldn't be so angry.

For a while in 3rd/4th edition the rules were improving regularly and they were trying lots of cool new things like worldwide campaigns. The other part is that they had very little competition. Warmachine didn't arrive on the scene until 2003, right around when 4th edition was published.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Because a ton of kids will never collect a coherent enough force to use as an army, but can be sold on the idea of warhammer, of epic epicness manly balltouch, etc. You don't need a great game if people have already bought enough by the time they can play for the sunk cost fallacy to kick in.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Night10194 posted:

I didn't meant that as a compliment. The third movie was an outright bad movie, I think.

Oh no. I don't disagree. But some of the stuff that happens before the just as armies clash felt pretty wargamey. That's what I was talking about.

Aaand I just realized I posted a reply to two pages ago as the topic moved on.

Kerzoro fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 15, 2015

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
If the Dwarves had an ability to tell their opponent to sod off, it wouldn't fix the game but it'd be funny I guess.

GW style - Roll a d6, on a 4+ the enemy sods off and you win.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
On another forum I post on, I expressed surprise about Total Warhammer existing when they're about to turn the setting into balls touching and wondered if it were even a worthwhile license considering the slide GW was on. I got a really angry reply from someone disagreeing that they weren't doing well, and then saying "we're fine", which he deleted after someone pointed out that profits were down 42% last year.

I thought he was maybe a store manager who'd drunk the Koolaid, but no, it was actually the editor of White Dwarf. Oops.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

RubberJohnny posted:

On another forum I post on, I expressed surprise about Total Warhammer existing when they're about to turn the setting into balls touching and wondered if it were even a worthwhile license considering the slide GW was on. I got a really angry reply from someone disagreeing that they weren't doing well, and then saying "we're fine", which he deleted after someone pointed out that profits were down 42% last year.

I thought he was maybe a store manager who'd drunk the Koolaid, but no, it was actually the editor of White Dwarf. Oops.

Hah, WD "editor". It's like editing mall papers or something. To think it used to be cool and useful...

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

RubberJohnny posted:

Ooops. That's why GW staffers don't go on message boards. Or at least don't admit to doing that.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

JcDent posted:

I thank Broken Loose for the effort in tracking down those quotes!

Speaking from experience, I'd say plastic block games come in two varieties: "LEGO" or "disappointment".

I'd say GW just can't do business and their shareholders are comatose Victorian men on life support. How do your read report that states "people will always buy our product, and we don't need to test waters for that" in any kind of business and go "yeah, that's sounds right".

Basically up until the mid 00's GW had good rules for the time and also killer outreach and community building efforts. Their main competitors were stuff like Warzone which was a much better game but never managed to ever get the kind of traction GW did because the company behind them (Heartbreaker/Target) was even worse run than GW if that was possible. But GW won out because there were a lot of reasons to play GW games. It was like if your city has a College football team and an NFL one but the NFL one charges hundreds for tickets, loses all the time and only serves Coors Light in the stands while your College team is good at the game, the tickets are cheaper, and has hours of pregame tailgating in the parking lots with food carts and free swag. For most of the 90/early 00's GW was the college team. White Dwarf was interesting and contained good stuff, their miniatures were cheaper and better than almost all their competitors (save for Rackham for a hot minute) and they really seemed to care about the people who bought their products. If you had a local GW store they used to do escalation leagues, painting competitions, modelling and painting days and tons of other stuff. Their mail order team was legendary because they actually were amazing and helpful, and they dove headfirst into the internet at a time when many companies in their industry avoided it like the plague and they used it to run worldwide campaigns that were frankly revolutionary for the time.

The Warhammer/40k community right now is basically going through what siblings go through when their parents get divorced. Where half of them are in the "Life sucks now, Dad is a wreck and I miss when we used to have movie night and go camping, also his new wife Stacy is such a bitch and seems to actively try and hurt us." and the other half are rolling on the floor yelling "THINGS ARE STILL THE SAME, DAD STILL LOVES US AND DOESN'T RESENT HOW WE REMIND HIM OF MOM, STACY IS GREAT AND YOU'RE JUST SAYING THAT BECAUSE YOU'VE ALWAYS HATED DAD!" while the 18 year old eldest brother has already left and moved to Seattle to live at cool Uncle Privateer Press' house and experiment with drugs and bisexuality.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

RubberJohnny posted:

Looking for Magazine Editor
+Must fit our company culture
+No experience required
+Immediate start

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Haven't they "relaunched" White Dwarf like two times in the last few years desperately trying to find a reason for people to buy it? Even when I was into the hobby it seemed like a sub-par deal since Internet rumors beat out their news by months, you can find superior painting guides all over the place (when they even did them), and anything else was just advertisements. I could never understand why people bought them after they stopped regularly doing gaming stuff.

EDIT: also the battle reports looked like they were played by chimpanzees.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 15, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

krushgroove posted:

Ooops. That's why GW staffers don't go on message boards. Or at least don't admit to doing that.

That's why it's helpful to have a PR department, and an online Community Manager

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

RubberJohnny posted:

A man sits alone in a large office. Where the desks around him were once staffed by eager young journalists and painters and covered in models and plans for new articles, they are now covered in plastic to protect them from dust. The walls mock him with images of better times, photos of battle reports and articles on extra rules for the new games. Covers marked "Bloodbowl Special" "Battlefleet Gothic" and "Necromunda" remind him of what has been lost.
The order on his desk tells him the list of races that don't exist any more, and have never existed. it also tells him which models he needs to feature in the catalog this month. He is browsing a forum, He types "We're Fine."

Then he opens his desk draw, inside is a bottle of whiskey and a revolver. He wonders which one to choose for a second......

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

The Warhammer/40k community right now is basically going through what siblings go through when their parents get divorced. Where half of them are in the "Life sucks now, Dad is a wreck and I miss when we used to have movie night and go camping, also his new wife Stacy is such a bitch and seems to actively try and hurt us." and the other half are rolling on the floor yelling "THINGS ARE STILL THE SAME, DAD STILL LOVES US AND DOESN'T RESENT HOW WE REMIND HIM OF MOM, STACY IS GREAT AND YOU'RE JUST SAYING THAT BECAUSE YOU'VE ALWAYS HATED DAD!" while the 18 year old eldest brother has already left and moved to Seattle to live at cool Uncle Privateer Press' house and experiment with drugs and bisexuality.
Injection moulds are serious business

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

You joke but some people actually believe this

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

White dwarf was really useful 10 years ago when I didn't have my own laptop and trying to paint near a desktop was a pain. But now that tablets exist for all those nice painting guides and videos, there's just no reason for more crap that takes up space.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

NTRabbit posted:

That's why it's helpful to have a PR department, and an online Community Manager

And even an online community. Which is a massive headache but with motivated people running it it can be a success (I did this for the company I work for, many years ago until our official forum was shut down).

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

krushgroove posted:

And even an online community. Which is a massive headache but with motivated people running it it can be a success (I did this for the company I work for, many years ago until our official forum was shut down).

It's my line of work as well, when I have work

JcDent
May 13, 2013

In my sillier moments I think that I could run GW just by ripping off this thread alone.

It's a bittersweet dream, one that's so bright while it lasts... but always end in dysmal realization that I won't get to manage GW even if people running don't manage it either.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Grey Hunter posted:

A man sits alone in a large office. Where the desks around him were once staffed by eager young journalists and painters and covered in models and plans for new articles, they are now covered in plastic to protect them from dust. The walls mock him with images of better times, photos of battle reports and articles on extra rules for the new games. Covers marked "Bloodbowl Special" "Battlefleet Gothic" and "Necromunda" remind him of what has been lost.
The order on his desk tells him the list of races that don't exist any more, and have never existed. it also tells him which models he needs to feature in the catalog this month. He is browsing a forum, He types "We're Fine."

I am Jack's Austism.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I lol'd and honestly I think it's even funnier that it got reported.

whoever reported it is kind of a shitheel :/

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

NTRabbit posted:

It's my line of work as well, when I have work

I post in them, when I'm not here, posting.

Also, I'm sick and tired of this gimmick failthread of try-hards and twerkvines who want to hate GW, but keep coming up with positive things to say about their storied past, irreplaceable IP, or amazing new balls.

I remember a company made to rip off every famous fantasy and scifi thing all at once in a mishmosh with no giveashit for how it hung together! I remember a company that made rules revolving around a madman's graph of d6 rolls over time and never changed any rule that mattered in 15 editions and 6 supplemental releases. I remember a company who refused to make things people wanted, and attack anyone who tried in their stead, if they thought they could get away with it.

I remember a company rag that marketed to children but portrayed skills and techniques that no child could master while pushing tools, paints, and accessories branded by the company with an exorbitant markup.

I remember a Gamesworkshop with no black or women space marines! I remember them characterizing all halflings as cooks, and all rats as warpstone addicts!

I remember a games work shop that has made me subtract BS from 7, then compare S to T, roll to wound, and then roll any armor saves, finally removing models for 30 years, and I, for one can't take it anymore!!!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
serious gaylord seems to have sort of a Dr. Jekyll thing going on where he'll be perfectly willing to frame GW's internal business decisions (that he heard through the grapevine) as bad, say that things aren't going well, etc. when he's leading the discussion. He'll say 'holy poo poo I can't believe they're actually doing this' and tell us something about his understanding of the situation from his contacts. Those are some genuinely interesting posts. But the moment someone else dares to criticize GW, he feels the need to ride to the rescue. It's like he really does understand on one level that the company is horribly sick and rotting, but goddamn it it's still his company (so to speak) and if anyone's going to criticize them it's going to be him.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I post in them, when I'm not here, posting.

Also, I'm sick and tired of this gimmick failthread of try-hards and twerkvines who want to hate GW, but keep coming up with positive things to say about their storied past, irreplaceable IP, or amazing new balls.

I remember a company made to rip off every famous fantasy and scifi thing all at once in a mishmosh with no giveashit for how it hung together! I remember a company that made rules revolving around a madman's graph of d6 rolls over time and never changed any rule that mattered in 15 editions and 6 supplemental releases. I remember a company who refused to make things people wanted, and attack anyone who tried in their stead, if they thought they could get away with it.

I remember a company rag that marketed to children but portrayed skills and techniques that no child could master while pushing tools, paints, and accessories branded by the company with an exorbitant markup.

I remember a Gamesworkshop with no black or women space marines! I remember them characterizing all halflings as cooks, and all rats as warpstone addicts!

I remember a games work shop that has made me subtract BS from 7, then compare S to T, roll to wound, and then roll any armor saves, finally removing models for 30 years, and I, for one can't take it anymore!!!

:black101:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

JerryLee posted:

serious gaylord seems to have sort of a Dr. Jekyll thing going on where he'll be perfectly willing to frame GW's internal business decisions (that he heard through the grapevine) as bad, say that things aren't going well, etc. when he's leading the discussion. He'll say 'holy poo poo I can't believe they're actually doing this' and tell us something about his understanding of the situation from his contacts. Those are some genuinely interesting posts. But the moment someone else dares to criticize GW, he feels the need to ride to the rescue. It's like he really does understand on one level that the company is horribly sick and rotting, but goddamn it it's still his company (so to speak) and if anyone's going to criticize them it's going to be him.

In his defense, he seems pretty awesome at applying a thin veneer to something that makes it seem amazing:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3210214&userid=124523&perpage=40&pagenumber=16#post433917359

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I have 3 months and 5 days until my death pool prediction. If you could hold off bankruptcy until then GW, I'd really appreciate it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

JerryLee posted:

Nah, my issue is with people who are usually speaking from complete ignorance based on what they've read from internet forums which are almost completely wrong. 'They only recruit yes men' based entirely on people not knowing that literally every company recruits based on fitting the culture etc. You used to be very much in that camp but have actually found some sense and looked into things for yourself before posting about things.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

In his defense, he seems pretty awesome at applying a thin veneer to something that makes it seem amazing:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3210214&userid=124523&perpage=40&pagenumber=16#post433917359

I dont understand what you're trying to say here.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 15, 2015

JcDent
May 13, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

It's a painting allegory.

Business Gorillas posted:

I have 3 months and 5 days until my death pool prediction. If you could hold off bankruptcy until then GW, I'd really appreciate it.

It's not bankruptcy if balls don't touch!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

JerryLee posted:

It's probably because the criticism someone made is stupid and wrong? I find it funny that you're this mystified by someone being able to hold a position with more substance than pure tribal my side vs. Your side

Especially given how little the typical internet games whiner seems to understand about business. Seriously it seems like half those guys probably couldn't even explain what bankruptcy means

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 15, 2015

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

serious gaylord posted:

It's a back-handed compliment (you paint very well).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KobayashiMaru
Dec 10, 2013

Mange Mite posted:

Especially given how little the typical internet games whiner seems to understand about business.

It doesn't help that the objective of the discussion is unclear. I bet we'd all agree on the status of GW if we knew what we were supposed to agree about.

• Locked thread