Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Koi Iroha seems to be in scanlation limbo, which sucks. I felt like it might've been heading towards a finale arc with the goddess power swap.

I didn't actually mind the last arc in House of the Sun. Sure, she might've made the decision sooner, but she's a teenager who's just been approached by her mom who she hasn't seen in ages. It's gonna be an emotional time for her no matter what. That she finally was like "wait, duh, of course I shouldn't throw everything away that I have here and go with her when she's done nothing for me all this time" was pretty satisfying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Nate RFB posted:

I'm current in A Method To Make The Gentle World and it's not bad but I'm not sure if I'd call it good. I like that it seems that the main couple are not actually romantically involved at all, and rather he's just helping her find her place in the world, but it still kind of feels a bit fetishy? I mean it did have that one older teacher and student have that weird arc. I dunno.

Gentle World has times where it seems to work, but then flip flops between being decent (in terms with showing teens and adults with emotional/real life issues) to schlock teacher/student fetish (and the little brother who has the dumb sister complex ugh).

For the latter pair you mentioned I was pleasantly surprised how he didn't blame her for the problem with her sister's boyfriend and clearly seeing that she was the victim in the situation and in the end she was able to make things up with her sister.

And then of course it ruined it by the her still wanting to pursue him :v:

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
At least the teacher is entirely sensible here and is adamantly against any kind of teacher/student relationship.

A Method To Make The Gentle World isn't so much as a romance story for me as a relationship story, where it shows the ties between a child genius and his peers and students, as well as the ties between the students and peers. Kind of like Kare Kano in that sense, but with none of the romance I guess? Kare Kano Lite?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

arisu posted:

Taiyou no Ie is well loved in this thread and is my current favorite romance manga out right now, that being said, this most recent arc

I loved the way that played out, personally. It was a classic setup for melodrama, a giant wrench poised to be thrown into the works, but instead we got a character making a reasonable, thought-out decision that her mother respected and accepted. It feels more realistic than yet another perfectly timed contrivance yanking all the progress back 30 chapters (which I know are part and parcel of the genre but usually annoy me more than anything).

coathat
May 21, 2007

The king in Boukyaku no Shirushi to Hime has the best origin story ever. http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/boukyaku-no-shirushi-to-hime-r13029

Oops I didn't notice that batoto didn't have chapter 1 http://www.mangahere.co/manga/boukyaku_no_shirushi_to_hime/

coathat fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 12, 2015

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tarezax posted:

The group translating it (just one guy?) appears to have dropped off the face pf the Earth.

Maybe they died.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Ytlaya posted:

Read some more 7 Seeds and jesus loving christ this survival shelter flashback thing with the ventriloquist is extremely depressing. They dealt with the whole killing off excess population issue in a really mature way; normally in fiction you'd have it portrayed as an objectively evil thing and have the protagonists rebel against it, but in this case Mark realizes that there really isn't any alternative and that the best thing he can do is to try and send the people away with smiles on their faces. The scenes where the baseball player is staying with the dying children were really moving.

7 Seeds vaguely reminds me of LOST for some reason, except with a much better plot. It seems like it would work really well adapted into a live action of some sort.

edit: I've been reading this for hours and hours today and it's easily one of the best manga I've ever read. I had trouble getting used to the art style and it took a while for the plot to really hit its stride (partly since there are so many characters), but 7 Seeds is seriously great. I can't think of many comics/books/shows/whatever that have done such a great job of introducing and developing such a large cast of characters.

I can't get into it because while I loved Basara and I'm sure I'll love 7 Seeds the number of characters really isn't helped by the art style because everyone looks the goddamn same. There are plenty of characters who look like people in Basara instead too and I find it so distracting.

Seems like I should try harder to stick with it :(

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Anyone following S2 of Kamisama? I missed old-school shoujo anime :3: I'm glad it got another season too.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Alder posted:

Anyone following S2 of Kamisama? I missed old-school shoujo anime :3: I'm glad it got another season too.

I definitely am, I really l liked the first season a whole lot. They're sure using a ton of still frames this time around, the show deserves better animation, drat it.
It's not terrible or anything, but I'm moderately grumpy about it.

Edit to say that they've put the entire dub for His and Her Circumstances/Kare Kano up on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrrh84y760v9bv-2r2DBiH39oxlKq0OoD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyGEjyyTjiM

a kitten fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 13, 2015

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Alder posted:

Yep! I actually had 2 episodes left of S1 that I'd never bothered to watch so when the first episode of S2 came out I had a little mini marathon to get back into it. There were a lot of still frames at the end of S1 as well, it's not really a show that excels with the animation.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Masamune-kun no Revenge:
You're a chubby kid who gets rejected and ridiculed as a result. What do you do?
Tone up into a bishounen, take on your grandfather's surname, change schools and make that girl fall head-over-heels for you... so you can break her heart by rejecting her, of course!

I've just started reading it but it's a pretty interesting take on the harem/school life genre. It didn't seem like it would fit in with the shounen/seinen threads so I'll just leave this here instead :shobon:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Did he also lawyer up and delete his facebook?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

No mentions of it, but I'd assume so.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

HiveCommander posted:

Masamune-kun no Revenge:

This is gross.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 14, 2015

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

No you see it's an insightful deconstruction of the harem genre because :barf:

It does remind me about a Otsu Hiyori yuri oneshot about a girl with a similar revenge scheme, which is actually a good read. It's called Roundabout

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tokimeki Tonight is a funny manga and anime from the 80's that is sort of like Ranma 1/2 with a female protagonist. I haven't read the manga but I'm enjoying the show.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

HiveCommander posted:

Masamune-kun no Revenge:
Tone up into a bishounen and make that girl fall head-over-heels for you... so you can break her heart by rejecting her, of course!

Meh, I read the first chapter and that was as far as I'm willing to give it.

Anyone who thought this sounded a bit familiar or interesting and wanted shoujo should try Last Game. Same sort of idea, but instead of rejection she's just better then him at everything so he vows to make her lose to him by having her fall in love with him so he can reject her. Of course he totally falls in love with her first, and she's the sort of shoujo protagonist who doesn't notice. The short takes place when they're in elementary school, but the actual manga is 10 years later in college.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I want to buy the rest of My Love Story because I like it a lot and want to see where the story goes, but it looks like Viz doesn't have digital versions of it yet. A handful of years ago I would have gladly bought the physical books but I'm at a point in my life where I don't really feel like wasting shelf space for manga (I'm going to attempt to offload about 60 volumes worth of stuff at some point this year). How long does it take for Viz to upload digital versions of newish series? Or are there some series they simply don't bother with doing so?

coathat
May 21, 2007

There are digital versions though? http://www.amazon.com/My-Love-Story-Vol-1-ebook/dp/B00LBHA75O/ref=sr_1_1_twi_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421340914&sr=8-1&keywords=my+love+story+1

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh, I was looking at the Viz website which listed digital versions for other series but not this one: http://www.viz.com/manga/print/my-love-story-volume-4/11205

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Baron Snow posted:

Anyone who thought this sounded a bit familiar or interesting and wanted shoujo should try Last Game. Same sort of idea, but instead of rejection she's just better then him at everything so he vows to make her lose to him by having her fall in love with him so he can reject her. Of course he totally falls in love with her first, and she's the sort of shoujo protagonist who doesn't notice. The short takes place when they're in elementary school, but the actual manga is 10 years later in college.

This is a lot more believable if you just imagine that the girl has autism.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, it is really easy to buy her as a really high-functioning Asperger's or something. (Especially the 'oh man, I have friends now, this is so awesome' thing that she's feeling.) It's a really cute manga, though, and I really like everyone in it.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Baron Snow posted:

Meh, I read the first chapter and that was as far as I'm willing to give it.

thanks for the recommendation seems interesting and realisticish enough to keep up.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
It's a romance manga that's not in High School, you gotta take what you can get.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

This is a lot more believable if you just imagine that the girl has autism.

What I'd give for a manga series w/a character who has a confirmed mental illness :v:

I mean there's already manga series about NEETs so it's not too far off imho. I don't really want pure speculation or just this character's default personality is anti-social but a serious attempt at portraying a person who struggling w/mental illnesses in everyday life.

Yeah I know there's a How-to Guide for parents w/autistic children in manga format but that's not really the same.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

does last game get better translations as it goes on?/is coathat about to yell at me about how it's licensed and that has better translations?

I read a chapter like six months ago but got turned off by the bad translation. honestly why is it that so much shoujo seems to have not very good translations, or have I just had bad luck with it?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

later last game translations actually suck worse because they translate out of order (its the manga i complained about in that other thread)

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Alder posted:

What I'd give for a manga series w/a character who has a confirmed mental illness :v:

I mean there's already manga series about NEETs so it's not too far off imho. I don't really want pure speculation or just this character's default personality is anti-social but a serious attempt at portraying a person who struggling w/mental illnesses in everyday life.

Yeah I know there's a How-to Guide for parents w/autistic children in manga format but that's not really the same.

Well there's 10 Count but it's fairly creepy yaoi (do not look this one up at work seriously).

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Welcome to the NHK?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Everything Burrito posted:

Well there's 10 Count but it's fairly creepy yaoi (do not look this one up at work seriously).

Yeah...I was disappointed since I liked her other works too. IDK why I keep reading but maybe I still have hope the MC will break up w/him before the final chapter and you know get professional help eventually.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

In Last Game the female protagonist literally does not even understand the concept of romantic love, so that you should probably count as some sort of mental illness.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

Cake Attack posted:

does last game get better translations as it goes on?/is coathat about to yell at me about how it's licensed and that has better translations?

I read a chapter like six months ago but got turned off by the bad translation. honestly why is it that so much shoujo seems to have not very good translations, or have I just had bad luck with it?

It gets better after the first few chapters. But the continuous tossing around that it's gotten from translators means that a random few chapters here or there are bad again.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
New chapter of Stretch, with a few more pre-sleep moves and maybe a love triangle?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

on the akinator website i answered questions honestly excepted insisted i was an anime character and got the main guy from last game, so i feel obliged to read it

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Does that mean you have lots of money Cake Attack

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i did but then i blew it all on figmas and dakimakura

no regrets

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

jackofarcades posted:

Welcome to the NHK?

This was really good. Every single character had an issue, it was the best. Is there anything like this out there?

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
Sekine-kun in Sekine-kun no Koi is on the spectrum I think but not diagnosed

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

New chapter of Stretch, with a few more pre-sleep moves and maybe a love triangle?

I think it's more likely to be setting up something a bit different. Compare the guy to Keiko's ex here. Admittedly the comic does have a little bit of same-face, but even taking that into account it would be way too much of a coincidence if they're not the same dude, I'd say. If it IS the same guy, some kinda love triangle would be hackneyed. Also, Ran appears to have no interest in the guy either way, so it being Keiko's ex and them running into each-other because of his going to Ran's bar would seem a more natural source of drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

not shoujo but say hello to blackjack has an arc that takes place in a mental asylum and examines the position of mental patients in japanese society