Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
I'm skeptical, but I'll try it. I think I might just be on tilt with him. The read tears from the tiny little haunt guys always seem to get me while I'm dodging. I'll try your wall method since it's not like my method is working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
That's because the red tears track your speed and aims for where you will be going - but they have a finite range so if you're backpedaling they just fall off without hitting you. At least that's what I think is happening.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Is it just me or does nearly every boi:r streamer have the most annoying subscription/donation/follow notification that are blinky, distracting and cover half the screen?

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Zo posted:

That's because the red tears track your speed and aims for where you will be going - but they have a finite range so if you're backpedaling they just fall off without hitting you. At least that's what I think is happening.

The smaller haunts also move in the direction you are going, so you can slightly manipulate them into flying away from you. It's not 100% consistent, but I've found it useful a handful of times.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Wugga posted:

I've only seen Bandage Girl built out of cubes once in all my runs. Was playing at a friend's house and, got the Book of Revelations on the first floor. We'd both read somewhere that BoR removes the chance for Conquest to show up so we carried it all the way to the Womb for the hell of it.

Reading the Isaac Wiki now, it says Conquest still has a chance of showing up, though. I guess we were lucky. Or the Wiki's wrong.

Conquest can still show up even with the Book. And the Headless Horseman, both of which will ruin your runs for Meat Boy or Bandage Girl. Book of Revelations also can't do anything about Double Trouble bosses or Mr. Fred due to the room sizes. Not being able to buy the Book from the shop anymore really made those achievements more frustrating to get.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Well here's a thing I never knew could happen.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Saw a guy with 3 Bob's Brain. It was a fun run.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

Michaellaneous posted:

Is it just me or does nearly every boi:r streamer have the most annoying subscription/donation/follow notification that are blinky, distracting and cover half the screen?

Several do, most don't

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

SuicideSnowman posted:

He needs to shave his "beard" though. Some people just don't have the ability to grow beards. I know because I'm one of them. My wife wants me to not shave all the time despite me telling her to trust me when I say I'm not meant to have a beard.

Same situation here. I don't grow thick facial hair, but the wife likes my stubble and tries to stop me from shaving. I could never be a true hipster (I don't want to be, just so we're clear).

Disgusting Coward posted:

Well here's a thing I never knew could happen.

Great, so two more things that can kill you instead of just one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Michaellaneous posted:

People like to be acknowledged when they do those things and I guess having a thanks read out loud is just not enough recognition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI-uxmSeCo0

Broteam guy had fun messing around with it by letting people submit their own messages when they followed/subscribed.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
Finally had the fun of Libra + Soy Milk. Got Libra early, along with the Bottle of Pills. Basically took the time to farm as many pills as I could out of each floor, so my stat ups were going through the roof. Wasn't until a Key Beggar in the Dark Room dropped Soy Milk for me that my already great damage when completely nuts, does make a huge difference to take Soy Milk. The Lamb didn't even get the chance to damage me, it went down so fast. And no, wasn't even Guppy either, just silly amounts of stat ups.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Dr. Fetus posted:

Conquest can still show up even with the Book. And the Headless Horseman, both of which will ruin your runs for Meat Boy or Bandage Girl. Book of Revelations also can't do anything about Double Trouble bosses or Mr. Fred due to the room sizes. Not being able to buy the Book from the shop anymore really made those achievements more frustrating to get.

Well, that's a bummer. Guess we were just lucky then.

I'd also completely forgotten you could buy it in the store in the original. Guess that partially explains why I had a level 4 meatboy following me around so often in that one. Kind of odd you can't buy it anymore since it's lost most of its oomph, what with the heart cap and Habit being nerfed from the original.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Toothache posted:

Finally had the fun of Libra + Soy Milk. Got Libra early, along with the Bottle of Pills. Basically took the time to farm as many pills as I could out of each floor, so my stat ups were going through the roof. Wasn't until a Key Beggar in the Dark Room dropped Soy Milk for me that my already great damage when completely nuts, does make a huge difference to take Soy Milk. The Lamb didn't even get the chance to damage me, it went down so fast. And no, wasn't even Guppy either, just silly amounts of stat ups.

You can pick up Libra before Soy Milk for the same effect? I always assumed you had to pick up soy milk and then libra would balance it later.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Snazzy Frocks posted:

You can pick up Libra before Soy Milk for the same effect? I always assumed you had to pick up soy milk and then libra would balance it later.

Libra doesn't just balance on pickup, but balances all throughout the game as well. Its part of why its controversial, since it can make a string of bad stat-ups workable or a string of good stat-ups much worse.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Libra is not a one time effect- it's persistent. It applies to all item and stats before and after you pick it up.

e:f,b

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Might seem counter-intuitive in some cases, but I believe it doesn't matter what order you pick up items that synergise, as long as you know what the ultimate outcome will be it ends up the same way.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

CJacobs posted:

People like to be acknowledged when they do those things and I guess having a thanks read out loud is just not enough recognition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI-uxmSeCo0

Broteam guy had fun messing around with it by letting people submit their own messages when they followed/subscribed.

Well it is broteam, they make it and they are aware of what they are doing.
It feels like those streamers to it actually unironically because...?
e: I know why it still baffles me.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 16, 2015

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

I just kicked Satan's rear end with a combination of Guppy, Cancer, and a bunch of attack and fire rate boosts. Now I'm a little disappointed to go back in and risk getting, I dunno, Soy Milk+ My Reflection.

And maybe I'll change my mind about this if I ever get Libra, but I'm bitter as poo poo at Soy Milk for ending a run when it made my shots too weak to take out Globins before they reformed.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
So I didn't get plat god, but whoever suggested grinding out 40~ deaths with the lost to unlock the scissors had a point, so I did that.

I got to the chest without guppy or the relic shield and died to a double adversary room. Either one of those and I definitely would've won. Also, I almost no hit the whole game, which is pretty cool I guess.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Any advice for the cat got your tongue challenge? It's freaking driving me nuts, i'm useless controlling the hairball...

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Swing it like a flail.

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

Holler. Finished with this game for a while. It's been fun.

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

Bug Bill Murray posted:

Holler. Finished with this game for a while. It's been fun.

So close to that myself! Just need to pick up Godhead! :argh:

Had such a good breaking run today until I messed it up.

By the time I was on The Chest I had: Sharp Plug, Wafer, Blank Card, with the following cards: The Sun, Wheel of Fortune, Justice.

So, infinite health to use sharp plug, infinite slot machines to blow up (producing one item each), infinite bombs to blow them up with.

...until I picked up Isaac's Heart. drat it!

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

So I managed to beat Isaac in the Cathedral, then I decided to see if I could beat It Lives on Hard with Isaac.

Well, I got Curse of the Blind on Caves/Catacombs I, went into a Curse Room, and got that loving Dead Cat.

I only made any progress because the next floor gave me Guppy's Paw. But no other Guppy Items so I couldn't turn into him.

I did at least manage to kill It Lives and unlock Isaac's Head, but apparently the items you get for beating It Lives on Hard are useless in single player.

Aside from Whore of Babylon, does anyone have any suggestions on what the Dead Cat is good for?

EDIT: And The Lost.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Codiekitty posted:

So I managed to beat Isaac in the Cathedral, then I decided to see if I could beat It Lives on Hard with Isaac.

Well, I got Curse of the Blind on Caves/Catacombs I, went into a Curse Room, and got that loving Dead Cat.

I only made any progress because the next floor gave me Guppy's Paw. But no other Guppy Items so I couldn't turn into him.

I did at least manage to kill It Lives and unlock Isaac's Head, but apparently the items you get for beating It Lives on Hard are useless in single player.

Aside from Whore of Babylon, does anyone have any suggestions on what the Dead Cat is good for?

EDIT: And The Lost.

Getting rid of excess red heart containers because spirit and black hearts are given out like candy. Using it with items like Suicide King. It's a much stronger pickup in this game than it was in flash Isaac.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

Swing it like a flail.

Dead cat + Bible. I cheesed through all the rooms in Necropolis by blowing up the doors until I got to mom and insta-gibbed her. This game...

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

Sebbe posted:

So close to that myself! Just need to pick up Godhead! :argh:

Had such a good breaking run today until I messed it up.

By the time I was on The Chest I had: Sharp Plug, Wafer, Blank Card, with the following cards: The Sun, Wheel of Fortune, Justice.

So, infinite health to use sharp plug, infinite slot machines to blow up (producing one item each), infinite bombs to blow them up with.

...until I picked up Isaac's Heart. drat it!

Godhead took me forever to get. I had infinite rerolls in an angel room and sometimes it just doesn't show up in the item pool

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I finally found a use for My Reflection! Rubber Cement and boomerang tears is an oddly great combination, it seems. Especially when you add the 3 Dollar Bill to it. I made it to Isaac with Samson and Isaac just melted in about 15 seconds flat.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'm at 307/343 items on my file 2 collection page and have stll not picked up
- Monstro's Tooth
- Telepathy for Dummies
- Leo
- Bogo Bombs
- Portable Slot Machine

I understand not ever wanting to buy the latter two, but I wouldn't pass up Leo unless I had flight and wouldn't pass up the first two unless I had a better spacebar item. What the heck.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
Real cool how taking that trapdoor teleports you to the same blackmarket ladder room with no way of getting out unless you take the next floor out. If you try to exit back to the level, it just teleports back to where you started.

I mean it's cool that this game is all about experimentation (altho it's a bug) but it blocked me from picking up the negative on this level and I couldnt go past Satan to the Dark Room which was the whole point of the run. Luckily Samson is easy to break the game as if you get any sort of self-damage item like portable blood bank.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

shodanjr_gr posted:

Any advice for the cat got your tongue challenge? It's freaking driving me nuts, i'm useless controlling the hairball...

-The Hairball gets larger and more damaging as it hurts/kills enemies, and loses half its size when you go down a floor. It's worth skipping using Guppy's Head for a room or two to bulk it up to max size quickly.
-ABC- Always Be Circling. Some enemies you can get away with just going back and forth to whip the hairball, but most of the time you'll want to spin around to hit them. Unless they're globins or other chasers, in which case you can just run away at their speed and let them hug the hairball.
-Guppy's head is basically your worst attack item. If you get a chance, swap it out for Cricket's Head, the eight-way shot still works and clears out rooms much better. Also, buy batteries if you can, turning the head from once-per-room to autocharge will save your life.
-Damage ups and BFF are both great. Anything that boosts your flies is key.
-Orbitals and familiars let you turn the challenge into and easier Family Man/Solar System. It's still tedious but it's easier than playing the 'right' way.
-If all else fails, pray for a Brimstone/Mom's Knife/Epic Fetus/possibly Dr. Fetus. They all ignore the blindfold and work normally.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

kvx687 posted:

-The Hairball gets larger and more damaging as it hurts/kills enemies, and loses half its size when you go down a floor. It's worth skipping using Guppy's Head for a room or two to bulk it up to max size quickly.
-ABC- Always Be Circling. Some enemies you can get away with just going back and forth to whip the hairball, but most of the time you'll want to spin around to hit them. Unless they're globins or other chasers, in which case you can just run away at their speed and let them hug the hairball.
-Guppy's head is basically your worst attack item. If you get a chance, swap it out for Cricket's Head, the eight-way shot still works and clears out rooms much better. Also, buy batteries if you can, turning the head from once-per-room to autocharge will save your life.
-Damage ups and BFF are both great. Anything that boosts your flies is key.
-Orbitals and familiars let you turn the challenge into and easier Family Man/Solar System. It's still tedious but it's easier than playing the 'right' way.
-If all else fails, pray for a Brimstone/Mom's Knife/Epic Fetus/possibly Dr. Fetus. They all ignore the blindfold and work normally.

I've tested it first hand and mom's knife does not work with the blindfold. Not sure about the others though.

Just checked and the wiki confirms it, saying "It [the blindfold] also prevents attacks from other sources, such as Mom's Knife."

Literal Nazi Furry fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 16, 2015

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Suicide King challenge. Picked up the thing that gives you "splash damage" which splits the shot into four smaller shots after it hits. Added Ring Worm as well for shits and giggles. I don't know how to make gifs, but let me assure you, it's hilarious.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

PostNouveau posted:

Suicide King challenge. Picked up the thing that gives you "splash damage" which splits the shot into four smaller shots after it hits. Added Ring Worm as well for shits and giggles. I don't know how to make gifs, but let me assure you, it's hilarious.

Getting Ring Worm was the only way I could consistently hit anything on Suicide King.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Shock Trooper posted:

Getting Ring Worm was the only way I could consistently hit anything on Suicide King.

Oh, good call. I'll have to keep an eye out. I think I'll need something like that to beat the challenge.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Midas Touch + E-Coli = golden poops everywhere! It actually transforms the enemy into gold poop, which gets pretty silly pretty fast. Especially with the Counterfeit Penny thrown in for good measure.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Midas Touch + E-Coli = golden poops everywhere! It actually transforms the enemy into gold poop, which gets pretty silly pretty fast. Especially with the Counterfeit Penny thrown in for good measure.

Bloody penny is probably cooler cause you'll be hovering around max money after a floor or two either way, with bloody penny you'll get almost infinite hearts. throw in d6 + sharp plug and you're real good to go.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I just beat ??? as Samson. His blood lust ability is a real selling point.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I just had the weirdest thing happen. I'm trying to get a win streak where I play as all the characters (except The Lost) in a row. I started with Isaac, and became Guppy with homing Brimstone and every damage up. When I beat Blue Baby in about two seconds, let the ending cutscene load and exited out of the game by clicking the X up top (windowed mode). Later on, I sat down to play as Maggy, but I had the option to continue. It was weird, but it started me as Isaac on the Chest. This time I didn't even bother opening everything since I was powerful enough anyway, and continued through to Blue Baby and beat him again. When I hit escape and went to play as Maggy, I saw that my win streak was at two. It counted both times I beat Blue Baby as a win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The only logic they programmed into the win streak is as follows:

If your win streak is 0, beating the boss at the end of a path and touching the chest adds 1, dying subtracts 1.
If your win streak is above 1, beating the boss adds 1, dying sets it back to 0.
If it's 0 or below, dying subtracts 1.

So I guess you accidentally cheesed it by beating the boss but not ending the game by going back to the main menu.