Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

I had Kathlene Hunt at my last job on the new hires list, I looked up at my boss and he's just like "welp, full first and last".

We just go with First.Last in the first place. It just doesn't seem worth the effort in the first place to abbreviate to FLast to save typing a few characters. Especially since you now have to figure out who JSmith32 is instead of John.Smith3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
I wish we did that here but an ancient character username limit and org momentum means we cram everyone in to a 6 character username.

I guess it's better than another org nearby that uses one letter+4 random number logon names

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

I'm working on moving things to a single sign on setup to "make things easier" for the folks here. Which, ok, cool thats always fun. However there is a huge dependency with sharepoint online in 365 and very unlikely that we'd move away from 365 which I really don't mind. However our company owners still wanna be handsy with it since ~cloud tech~. Its gold.

I'm a bit confused though about 365 Hybrid setup with regards to password management. From everything I'm reading, its sounding like you can only change a password once the domains are linked from the local AD side and not in 365/Azure without a premium license that includes writeback?

If there's somewhere better for this let me know.

Moving to the windows enterprise thread

AAB fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 15, 2015

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Nerdrock posted:

In my last gig, we had a sales rep named Richard Odor. Poor guy's nickname on the factory floor was Pecker Breath.

This is funnier than it should be.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

A calendar notification came in.

We use exchange to handle our email. I have my Mac using outlook 2011, and a Linux box using davmail with Thunderbird. I keep getting notifications for events that happened in the distant past (back to my start with the company) and there are events that don't show up as accepted despite me accepting them in Outlook, clearing that calendar's local cache, and then re-downloading it.

What am I missing that makes calendars so goddamn difficult? From googling, I'm not the only one with Outlook on OSX with this issue, but damned if the steps to fix it aren't exactly what I said up above.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I know a woman who gets posted up on the schedule at her work as K Hunt. I have told her she's obligated to name a kid Mike.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

I know a woman who gets posted up on the schedule at her work as K Hunt. I have told her she's obligated to name a kid Mike.

Weirdest part of that is that her actual name is Nancy Smith.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Best one we have here is a Samantha Lutz, email is slutz@. Always got a giggle out of that one.

Several tickets came in (5+) for new hires who both accepted and start today. Was told to OMG DROP EVERYTHING and get started on them right away. Which would mean I would have to drop the last three fires they dumped on me. So....

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

AAB posted:

I'm working on moving things to a single sign on setup to "make things easier" for the folks here. Which, ok, cool thats always fun. However there is a huge dependency with sharepoint online in 365 and very unlikely that we'd move away from 365 which I really don't mind. However our company owners still wanna be handsy with it since ~cloud tech~. Its gold.

I'm a bit confused though about 365 Hybrid setup with regards to password management. From everything I'm reading, its sounding like you can only change a password once the domains are linked from the local AD side and not in 365/Azure without a premium license that includes writeback?

If there's somewhere better for this let me know.

Moving to the windows enterprise thread

Wait, there's a Windows Enterprise thread?

Edit: Well what do you know. I'd even had it bookmarked in my favorites.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

kensei posted:

What version? Can you change the name for the one you want to delete, then save, then delete it?

I am in the middle of deploying FP12, and it's interesting. I love it because you have such granular control and despise it because I have to customize everything. Our 11.6 almost looks nice in retrospect.

Yeah, that's what I ended up having to do to fix it. I'm honestly surprised to hear people speak positively of Footprints or any of Numara's software.

elcapjtk
Mar 14, 2005
Some people say I am a terrible person.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Best one we have here is a Samantha Lutz, email is slutz@. Always got a giggle out of that one.

Several tickets came in (5+) for new hires who both accepted and start today. Was told to OMG DROP EVERYTHING and get started on them right away. Which would mean I would have to drop the last three fires they dumped on me. So....

Back when I first started we had a user's login as "chaos".

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
An old user login used to be "smiles"
:unsmith:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Not a user but I used to know a Joel Hunt that married a girl named Treasure...

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

My minimum turnaround for a new hire is two business days. If the new guy was sitting around doing jack poo poo for the last 3 hours, guess you should have followed company procedures eh? I'm not dropping my entire workload to deal with your incompetence. Especially not when I see that HR sent the "Fill this out and sent it to IT" poo poo over a week earlier.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Rhymenoserous posted:

My minimum turnaround for a new hire is two business days. If the new guy was sitting around doing jack poo poo for the last 3 hours, guess you should have followed company procedures eh? I'm not dropping my entire workload to deal with your incompetence. Especially not when I see that HR sent the "Fill this out and sent it to IT" poo poo over a week earlier.

And then HR poisons any potential relationship you might develop with this new hire by saying, "Eh. IT is slow to set up your desk space. Blame them." and on his first day this new hire has a bad experience with IT right out the gate.

Drop your entire workload to get this guy set up, and on his first day make sure you swing by his cube to make sure he is squared away and knows his way around the network and knows the rules about PSTs, file storage and access to ~resources~.

Do this and he'll finish his first day with "Man, those IT guys are on the job" instead of "I did fuckall at work today because IT couldn't get their act together."

People in this thread wonder why there's a negative opinion of IT workers. This is a solvable problem.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Rhymenoserous posted:

Yeah I've fought this battle and resoundingly lost. It sucks for HR too as they have to drop everything to help process new hires as well. Sales and marketing run the show and they have flat out refused to live with the 2 week new hire notice policy. Then since we have to drop everything to help them people who do give 2 weeks notice fall behind and then they quite giving notice and pull the same poo poo. It's a vicious cycle.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Agrikk posted:

And then HR poisons any potential relationship you might develop with this new hire by saying, "Eh. IT is slow to set up your desk space. Blame them." and on his first day this new hire has a bad experience with IT right out the gate.

Drop your entire workload to get this guy set up, and on his first day make sure you swing by his cube to make sure he is squared away and knows his way around the network and knows the rules about PSTs, file storage and access to ~resources~.

Do this and he'll finish his first day with "Man, those IT guys are on the job" instead of "I did fuckall at work today because IT couldn't get their act together."

People in this thread wonder why there's a negative opinion of IT workers. This is a solvable problem.

Drop your entire workload and get bitched out by management or spend your day setting up the new user. I'm doing the work for the guy who signs my paychecks.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I know a Tanya Watson with a similar problem.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Drop your entire workload and get bitched out by management or spend your day setting up the new user. I'm doing the work for the guy who signs my paychecks.

Really? You'd get spanked by your manager for making up for HR's lack of planning and helping a new employee have a good experience on his first day? That sucks. IT exists in part to help other people do their jobs easier. If your management can't see that then...

well...

I guess you are posting in this thread so

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My immediate supervisor told HR that if they don't give us a week notice than the new user will be waiting in line like everyone else. We had a user sit for 2 days straight without a PC because I was very specifically told to not drop anything.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
A position at a local company came in...
I'm going to get more info but the job would be in walking distance. Thus, potentially great financially and mentally. It's also somewhat of a family referral to a small startup (15 people) that is growing. However, there are clear caveats :

It sounds like they're using "network administrator" as code for "handle everything IT outside of development.", from helpdesk to sysadmin.

What is a better title that's more accurate for such a position? Is it even worth considering or is this going to be a terrible idea? If someone sends me a PM I can forward the job desc to review.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

What is a better title that's more accurate for such a position?

CIO. Head of IT. Systems Architect?

edit: at least for the "everything but development" part of that, if you're supporting and maintaining but not putting together new stuff, then Sr Systems Admin maybe?

doubleedit: nope nevermind if you're heading up multiple departments it goes back to CIO or Head of IT or something similar...

JosephSkunk fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 15, 2015

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

GreenNight posted:

My immediate supervisor told HR that if they don't give us a week notice than the new user will be waiting in line like everyone else. We had a user sit for 2 days straight without a PC because I was very specifically told to not drop anything.

My immediate supervisor the CIO has in the past just dumped an urgent new hire on our laps with 2 days notice. The whole company is like this and its slowly driving me mad. Must days I can just detach myself from all of the chaos and madness and realize I have it pretty good, some days though I just want to throw my hands in the air and ask how the hell they expect me and my team to get everything done.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Coredump posted:

Yeah, that's what I ended up having to do to fix it. I'm honestly surprised to hear people speak positively of Footprints or any of Numara's software.

Most ticketing system sucks in some way, I am okay with this one.

A ticket came in for me today, to disable my boss' boss' access badge. That was interesting.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
"I.T."

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

There should be some tiny font under Iron Mountain that says "If you see read this, company of the employee holding this box thinks lowly of your documents and data".

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
An eviction notice came in.

:gonk:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

kensei posted:

Most ticketing system sucks in some way, I am okay with this one.

A ticket came in for me today, to disable my boss' boss' access badge. That was interesting.

All true IT people learn they are being let go when the ticket to disable their own badges comes in...

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Also funny usernames, we had a Brian East. Username was beast. Dude was very short and thin, the opposite of beast if you will.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

quote:

- Must be able to lift and move equipment weighing up to 50 pounds

is on every job posting ever for a reason!

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Yesh, if this is CIO I definitely am not qualified to magically jump to that, even if it's small company CIO. Not even sure if anyone would be well positioned for that?

Here were some things: "Serve as lead manager, systems administrator and project coordinator for all of company's technology platform and related IT infrastructure" + helpdesk + compliance + ongoing recommendations for hardware/software + primary liason for 3rd party vendors.

That's pretty much CIO then?

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Inspector_666 posted:

is on every job posting ever for a reason!

One of the reasons this is done is so companies can discriminate against older or disabled people.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
That's CIO plus the stuff that the CIO should be delegating to the people who work under him and make up the IT staff as far as I'm concerned.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Yesh, if this is CIO I definitely am not qualified to magically jump to that, even if it's small company CIO. Not even sure if anyone would be well positioned for that?

Here were some things: "Serve as lead manager, systems administrator and project coordinator for all of company's technology platform and related IT infrastructure" + helpdesk + compliance + ongoing recommendations for hardware/software + primary liason for 3rd party vendors.

That's pretty much CIO then?

Take the money, fake it until you make it.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I knew I had a reason to feel like "holy poo poo, your scope here is enormous".

I guess if they let me have an enormous amount of staff working for me this might be ok, but if they expect all of this of me I will probably not even consider it.

^^^ You know what happens in those scenarios? The pay tends to be hilariously low, I would imagine. I'll bet money they offer $75K as a CIO.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Coredump posted:

Also funny usernames, we had a Brian East. Username was beast. Dude was very short and thin, the opposite of beast if you will.

Former place I worked used a combination of 4 letters for the usernames. DONG came up a lot. My coworker was (a) JAWA. 30 years old and getting a ticket from DONG still cracked me up every time.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
"In Trucks"

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Rawrbomb posted:

Take the money, fake it until you make it.

And then show up in this thread, except on the wrong end of it, so to speak.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

This reminds me of a conversation I had with someone who was an "IT" intern at a local employer. He would spend his day unloading trucks at the dock. How is that an IT internship? He was unloading boxed printers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Agrikk posted:

lolol no

• Locked thread