Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I tried to like C&C4 and there is almost a good idea somewhere but that game is loving awful.

All the Red Alert games rule. Aside from 4 I like Tiber Ian Sun the least. It sucks because that games kills it in setting and it has tons of rad units but I remember it playing slow as gently caress. Also as a kid I felt like the AI hunter seeker drones always beeline for my construction yard even though they were supposed to attack a random target.

I own the C&C collection on Origin, do they have functioning multiplayer? Some Red Alert 2 or Kane's Wrath FFA games would rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Ddraig posted:

lmao Blacklist has a few cool things but god drat it suffers from Ubi-itis at times. There's one mission in Guantanamo Bay where you have to not kill anybody. I snuck around perfectly and a dog discovered me. I decided "What the hell" and just shot the dog in the skull. Failed the mission because I killed an American Soldier :911:

man you're gonna hate the final boss.

You're unarmed and the game expects you to sneak up on him 3 times and sneak attack him and he gets more aggressive with each phase. But if you let him spot you then just throw one of his grenades back at him it kills him instantly

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Is it just me or are satisfying last bosses a dead art?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhS8oJ_N-Kc

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

A. Beaverhausen posted:

You must not play Platinum games.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Last bosses were awful more often than not in old games too. Assuming they even had an actual last boss instead of a jumping puzzle.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
i like games where the final boss is halfway through the game, and then you spend the rest of the game being awesome heroes

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
drinkfist is making me play the secret world

sovietboat and I spent a good 10 minutes spitting on ERP beds with a script

I then rehearsed for a play

Now that rehearsal is over, it is time to put on the play

holy poo poo is this game bad

like if you thought the divinci code pulling poo poo out of their rear end was a smart person not the act of just making poo poo up, then you will love the investigation missions

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/hotline-miami-2-banned-in-australia-update/1100-6424654/

lol eat poo poo aussies

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

can't let a country full of drunken hicks constantly plagued by toads, killer birds, and poisonous flying electric eels to get their hands on a violent videogame :australia:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

well they got New 3DS first so whatever

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Who turned this guy's head into a paper plane?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

liquid courage posted:

It kinda looks like Pyramid Head.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Was there even a point to the new R18+ rating or what

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwzGaD6Ubds

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Since you're just grabbing video, it doesn't really matter whether the game is new or old(unless they seriously streamed 320x240 video for PSX I guess), only the actual pace of the game. One frame links are as impossible streaming Street Fighter 2 as they are streaming SF4 Ultra. I have no idea if either of those are available for streaming, just an arbitrary example.

It does work, but you'd never mistake it for running the game locally.

Actually I don't even have super fast Internet (speed test puts it at 14 to 18 Meg down and 4 to 5 up) and all the games I've tried on PSNow do run without input lag (I've tried God of War 4, El Shaddai, FF13, Uncharted, Contrast) and are indistinguishable from running them locally

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

goro is a pre-order bonus... wt f

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

THE PENETRATOR posted:

goro is a pre-order bonus... wt f
modern bideo jame industry

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

precision posted:

El Shaddai

this is something i would not like to play through compressed stream video, but id play it out of desperation anyway

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ArfJason posted:

this is something i would not like to play through compressed stream video, but id play it out of desperation anyway

you totes should as it is pure ownage

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

precision posted:

you totes should as it is pure ownage

i know man, ever since it was teased... :thenegativemanfrommother3:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
lsd revamped alpha is out http://www.lsdrevamped.net/

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

despite the warnings of bugginess i will download this, because i am hoping they revamped the lovely parts (seizure-color skies, really loud walking sounds)

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

liquid courage posted:

if you use /smile in the game it makes you smile
if you use it again before it ends, the smile starts from where you left off
i made a macro for smiles and it just kept going and going and going
those are my lips

this game has had a few issues with emote

/cartwheel used to let you break through walls that were meant to stop you from grave yard rushing a boss or keep people out of a fight or location

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Excited for this game but Goro as a pre-order only is bullshit.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
As long as Goro isn't OP I don't care

Game is gonna rock me like a hurricane. Injustice was really good

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hi, chat thread. I've been playing Oblivion lately. I'm using the AF leveling, Darnified UI, Unofficial Patches and House Map Markers mods. I enjoyed Shivering Isles, which I never played, and will probably like Knights of Nine, once I finish the Dark Brotherhood and can afford to get rid of my infamy. I think after this I might play Morrowind, but I imagine it'd have to be heavily modded for people who started on Oblivion to enjoy it? I dunno. I like the Elder Scrolls games.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

Hi, chat thread. I've been playing Oblivion lately. I'm using the AF leveling, Darnified UI, Unofficial Patches and House Map Markers mods. I enjoyed Shivering Isles, which I never played, and will probably like Knights of Nine, once I finish the Dark Brotherhood and can afford to get rid of my infamy. I think after this I might play Morrowind, but I imagine it'd have to be heavily modded for people who started on Oblivion to enjoy it? I dunno. I like the Elder Scrolls games.
Morrowind is best TES game to date. I'd recommend you trying it raw in the first hand, if only you may want to look up some graphics conversion mod that would spice up things if you weren't around videogames in general, during Morrowind era. After you play some time and get the hang of vanity feel, I'd recommend to throw in fixes and some balance mod, since magic in Morrowind is hilariously broken and you can OHKO anyone with a lockpick.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

kalstrams posted:

Morrowind is best TES game to date. I'd recommend you trying it raw in the first hand, if only you may want to look up some graphics conversion mod that would spice up things if you weren't around videogames in general, during Morrowind era. After you play some time and get the hang of vanity feel, I'd recommend to throw in fixes and some balance mod, since magic in Morrowind is hilariously broken and you can OHKO anyone with a lockpick.

Graphics definitely aren't a big deal. I was actually thinking of starting with one of the older games like Arena or Daggerfall at first, because I think they'd be far enough away gameplay-wise that I won't immediately want them to be Oblivion. The no map markers thing is going to drive me nuts, I think, as is the way that quests track. I dunno. Maybe I'll try it with a very basic leveling mod similar to AF.

e: magic being hilariously broken is actually one of the things I liked about Oblivion over Skyrim (which overall I think is a better game). It was just really fun to light people on fire, turn invisible, and watch them walk around burning to death.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 15, 2015

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

precision posted:

As long as Goro isn't OP I don't care

Game is gonna rock me like a hurricane. Injustice was really good

Yeah Black Adam ruled in that game. My only problem with MK is that it has a dedicated block button. My cross-ups :qq:

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

The main thing I remember about Morrowind at release is being massively disappointed it wasn't a huge leap in 3d procedural generation a la Daggerfall. I did enjoy it for quite some time, particularly some of the guild quests. Thief and Dark Brotherhood, IIRC? Those were good. It was an odd juxtaposition of understanding how large of a map the game had compared to other games, and still being down that it wasn't 5x as big with some sort of magical, impossible procedural content. Ah, to be young and stupid again.

I missed Oblivion and never got into Skyrim; by then I felt the series should have fleshed out its combat, Skyrim is surprisingly similar to Daggerfall ('96 or '98, IIRC) in the combat department. Most of what I got to in Skyrim seemed really bland, like oatmeal with no salt, butter, or sugar. Even compared to Morrowind, which at least had flavor.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Bicyclops posted:

Maybe I'll try it with a very basic leveling mod similar to AF.

Don't do this. Oblivion only got the wave of leveling mods it did because the experience you'd get per-skill was insanely busted (you'd get the same Restoration experience for a huge 100HP spell that you would for a 1HP one) and the level scaling in the game in general was beyond terrible. Morrowind's is fine as-is.

I'd say get the unofficial patch because it doesn't fix any of the really fun ways the game can be broken, and maybe also the Morrowind Code Patch because it adds a lot of good small things that were half-finished in the source, that you can also pick and choose as you want.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Bicyclops posted:

you don't need anything for morrowind but i would encourage you to install a mod that gives you a house because murdering someone for theirs isn't cool, imho

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
a Baller house, that is

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Heavy Lobster posted:

Don't do this. Oblivion only got the wave of leveling mods it did because the experience you'd get per-skill was insanely busted (you'd get the same Restoration experience for a huge 100HP spell that you would for a 1HP one) and the level scaling in the game in general was beyond terrible. Morrowind's is fine as-is.

I'd say get the unofficial patch because it doesn't fix any of the really fun ways the game can be broken, and maybe also the Morrowind Code Patch because it adds a lot of good small things that were half-finished in the source, that you can also pick and choose as you want.

I didn't mind the "make a practice restoration spell and cast it over and over again while you walk" thing (it's super-annoying when it comes to Mercantile and having to sell your items individually, but w/e). AF Leveling just makes it so that attributes level naturally with your skills as they go up, instead of having to pick three skills to gain an amount when you sleep to level. I don't know, maybe I'll fish around on the UESP and play a little and see if I can figure out what I need. I still have like 70 quests to finish in Oblivion before I switch over, anyway.

e: It's this thing (once you get to the bullet points) that bugs me. Maybe it's not as big of a deal in Morrowind as it is in TES IV.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 15, 2015

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Unlike in Oblivion, in Morrowind if you level up you can retroactively get the correct multipliers before sleeping by leveling other skills up, and also, there is no level scaling in the game aside from calling to lists of what creature types can be placed where, so it doesn't matter.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Unlike in Oblivion, in Morrowind if you level up you can retroactively get the correct multipliers before sleeping by leveling other skills up, and also, there is no level scaling in the game aside from calling to lists of what creature types can be placed where, so it doesn't matter.

Uh okay, so just keep track and wait to sleep until I have the points to sleep. I definitely played Skyrim unmodded, it was only ever Oblivion that felt like it needed something. I'll just try it out and see what I think. I still might start with Arena or something, we'll see how I'm doing after the end of Oblivion, which will inevitably be the Shivering Isles fetch quests. Thanks for the advice, all.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Well also if you sleep and don't want to level up, when you see bad multipliers on the stats you want, you have the option to just cancel.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

THE PENETRATOR posted:

you don't need anything for morrowind but i would encourage you to install a mod that gives you a house because murdering someone for theirs isn't cool, imho

that's like the best part of TES games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Remember- Vivec must not live.

• Locked thread