Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

More like guilt by being totally fine with this dude for years, then it became a public embarrassment and dropping him.

Bro if you don't see how a black man who grew up in the 50's came to the conclusion "God drat America" then I don't know what history you've been reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

spacetoaster posted:

More like guilt by being totally fine with this dude for years, then it became a public embarrassment and dropping him.

I to, as a local politician am going to condemn a popular local religious leaders for having insane views. Obama has a poo poo load of other criticisms you can make of him, but his choice in church is not one of them.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

yes let's all post Bok and Cagle toons to support our assertions that Wright is a crank.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's basically like sourcing Animal Nuz as you sick burn against Republicans.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

zoux posted:

Bro if you don't see how a black man who grew up in the 50's came to the conclusion "God drat America" then I don't know what history you've been reading.

And invented AIDS? Sure, I get you bro. :emo:

Satsuki Kiryuin posted:

I to, as a local politician am going to condemn a popular local religious leaders for having insane views. Obama has a poo poo load of other criticisms you can make of him, but his choice in church is not one of them.

Oh, you're telling me what I can and can't criticize? :butt: Looks like I found a nerve though. :smuggo:

*edit* And this is a cartoon thread, Satuski, post some cartoons or GTFO.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 15, 2015

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Why aren't the blacks happier with America?

w/r/t Wright: I believe that Obama is either atheist/agnostic or generally non-religious*; his appearances in Wright's church were for political, rather than spiritual ends. Wright had a demographically diverse congregation in the middle of Chicago, so it was important to Obama to give some face time. Wright's a bit of a yahoo and his sermons are what they are, but he's no worse than any of the Pentacostal SuperMegaChurches that white Republicans shimmy up to.

* Any time Obama brings up religion in his books, it always sounds stilted as to being just a "I guess I gotta say this because all American politicians say this."

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

spacetoaster posted:

Top left panel is my fave, because they never felt the need to misrepresent or address what the guy said. Just "man says 9/11 was somehow a result of US policy, clearly a terrist, end of discussion :smug:"

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's just stupid because Obama's choice in church has nothing to do with his views or his government. Unless it's totally okay to go after Romney for him subscribing to a religion far more insane as a whole.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Satsuki Kiryuin posted:

It's just stupid because Obama's choice in church has nothing to do with his views or his government. Unless it's totally okay to go after Romney for him subscribing to a religion far more insane as a whole.

I think you'll find that most of D&D would be fine with that.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Satsuki Kiryuin posted:

Okay.

*edit* saying that someone's freaking religion has nothing to do with their views is retarded.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

OrthoTrot posted:

Fair enough. I agree. But what you said at first seemed to suggest that because anti semitism could be read into anything we should pretty much ignore accusations of it. If there's another meaning to what you said I'd love to hear it.

It just sounds like my work colleagues when I point out sexist stuff. "Well people can be offended by anything ". Technically true, but it's putting the emphasis for the offence squarely on the person offended. As if it's all subjective and we shouldn't even bother having some kind of social standard of acceptable behaviour.

My point was not to ignore it (one only needs to look at A Wyatt Man cartoons to see this), but that people will use the cry of 'antisemitism' to shut down and attack anything they dislike, regardless of merit. It's almost a 'boy who cried wolf' thing. In the case of Latuff I have trouble taking an organization who labels him the 3rd worst antisemite in the world, ahead of literally Nazi parties in Eastern Europe who actually have real political and social power, instead of a cartoonist in Brazil.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What religion is Jeremiah Wright?

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
I have no personal insight to Carlos Latuff's thought processes but pretty much every one of his cartoons about "antisemitism" is literally identical to that one JJ (I think?) where Al Sharpton and his thugs threaten to call a terrified whitey racist.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
If the person in question holds the same views as said church it holds some merit to discuss it, because Romney very much does; but If he didn't it would be pointless to bring up. Overall I dislike attacking peoples personal religious choices. Obama sure as gently caress doesn't think the government invented AIDS to kill black people and acting like he endorses that view is being really dumb.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Satsuki Kiryuin posted:

If the person in question holds the same views as said church it holds some merit to discuss it, because Romney very much does; but If he didn't it would be pointless to bring up. Overall I dislike attacking peoples personal religious choices. Obama sure as gently caress doesn't think the government invented AIDS to kill black people and acting like he endorses that view is being really dumb.

Cartoons dude. Cartoons. If you want to blab about your personal hatred of this or that, there are nearby threads for you to vent.

Satsuki Kiryuin posted:

Obama sure as gently caress doesn't think the government invented AIDS to kill black people and acting like he endorses that view is being really dumb.

I bet he does. He's fooled you. He is inventing more AIDS right now. :downsgun:

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

What is this one trying to say? I had to google the words, and it seems that the woman in front is supposed to be Michelle Obama referring to her husband's election. I'm guessing that the backgrounds are supposed to be reasons to be proud of the USA, but what has the fall of the Berlin Wall, the Statue of Liberty (a 19th century gift from France) and some generic soldiers to do with "my country" in "my adult lifetime"? And he seems to imply that the Space Shuttle is something to be proud of, which is arguable given the many flaws of the system and the shuttle program in general?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kopijeger posted:

What is this one trying to say? I had to google the words, and it seems that the woman in front is supposed to be Michelle Obama referring to her husband's election. I'm guessing that the backgrounds are supposed to be reasons to be proud of the USA, but what has the fall of the Berlin Wall, the Statue of Liberty (a 19th century gift from France) and some generic soldiers to do with "my country" in "my adult lifetime"? And he seems to imply that the Space Shuttle is something to be proud of, which is arguable given the many flaws of the system and the shuttle program in general?

It means that America has been great since 1776 but Michelle Obama didn't think so until the US got way too politically correct and elected a black man president out of white guilt.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

I keep trying to AGC this, and all I can come up with is 'what a bunch of lovely labels.'

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Capitalists are predators. AGC.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

The Republicans want to throw the white middle-class family to the sharks, then eat all the steaks. A 1% cartoon.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

zoux posted:

Black.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

R. Mute posted:

Now let me guess at the posters involved: Tatum Girlparts, DN Nation, loquacius being milquetoast and boring as hell, probably Randler too with the way things are going these days. Am I close to the mark?
I love you.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Obama is going to help Cuban immigrants make it to Florida!

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
R. Mute why must you hurt my feelings by putting a probably in front of your guess regarding Latuffchat participation? :smith:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Latuff did nothing wrong.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

R. Mute posted:

Now let me guess at the posters involved: Tatum Girlparts, DN Nation, loquacius being milquetoast and boring as hell, probably Randler too with the way things are going these days. Am I close to the mark?

I, too, want this thread to be more open to discussion and not just shut everyone of them down by crying 'derail' or posting the 'can't handle' gif, but this discussion just plays into this thread's inherent stupidity and is just so dang terrible.

This was literally the second time I've ever talked about Latuff on this thread. And I think his cartoons serve a useful, vital purpose.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

D.N. Nation posted:

This was literally the second time I've ever talked about Latuff on this thread. And I think his cartoons serve a useful, vital purpose.

It's still January and you already talked about him 2 times? Man you talk about him a lot.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Mehuyael posted:

It's still January and you already talked about him 2 times? Man you talk about him a lot.

On all political cartoon threads, 2012-present.

Shrug. Have some Allies.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The government takes something you have an excess of that you couldn't possibly use to its fullest extent and turns it into higher-quality things you directly benefit from, with the extra going towards others who have less than you.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Speaking of holocaust analogies:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

The government takes something you have an excess of that you couldn't possibly use to its fullest extent and turns it into higher-quality things you directly benefit from, with the extra going towards others who have less than you.

And more than that, a resource which you are hereditarily inclined to acquire, and the excess of which ends up having subtle detrimental effects.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Portals posted:

Someone told me that Russian doesn't have articles which is why the stereotypical Russian-accented English is like that.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

zoux posted:

Someone told me that Russian doesn't have articles which is why the stereotypical Russian-accented English is like that.

Based on my limited knowledge of Russian, that's pretty much it. Ya rabotayu v bankye. I work in (a/the) bank.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Yeah I co-authored a scientific paper with a Russian guy a few years ago and was constantly having to insert "the"s and "a"s everywhere. Not that it was a big deal but it's definitely a thing. Polish too, I think.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Portals posted:

Public travel is transportation. Private travel is cisportation. Is economic, yes?

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Is that second comic a rerun, or has Allie just done so many similar comics that I've lost track?

Also, I'm not from Illinois so I'm not familiar with the Illinois Mirror. When I went to their "About" page on their website:

quote:

Our perspective is explicit: first, Illinois Mirror upholds individual liberty as the highest political value
[...]
We’ll give you the liberty perspective.
Sounds about right for Allie.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

zoux posted:

United Church of Christ. And here's their response to the Wright controversy.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
People always bring up that fact that being Anti-Zionist/Pro-Palestine is not inherently Anti-Semitic and stop there. They neglect to recognize that a whole loving lot of Anti-Zionist/Pro-Palestine groups are full of Anti-Semites. Anti-Israel groups have a serious problem with recognizing and policing Anti-Semitism in their own ranks because there's a widespread belief that Anti-Semitism is no longer a huge problem because the Holocaust opened up everyone's eyes and Israel exists now. Because of this, lots of Anti-Semites can infiltrate well-meaning Pro-Palestinian groups and spread their garbage i nthe name of Palestinian oppression and go unchallenged for it. Diaspora Jews constantly find themselves in a position where they have to explain their position on Israel/Palestine, and whether they are Pro- or Anti- will greatly affect how these groups treat them. Even established Pro-Palestine "Good" Jews will regularly have their loyalty tested. Anti-Semitism is especially invisible in America thanks to the "White/PoC" dichotomy that American social justice communities prescribe by without considering how much more complicated it is in countries with much older conceptions on race and ethnicity than the US.

Whether Latuff himself is Anti-Semitic or not doesn't matter, because his cartoons certainly are and they spread Anti-Semitic ideas throughout the Left thanks to his popularity.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

D.N. Nation posted:

I posted maybe four times, half of which were one-liner response posts and the other half of which I thought were painstakingly reasonable, but I guess I am the historical face of Latuffchat sooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Holy poo poo, how did Ramirez go from that Obama caricature to the one he uses now? I mean, it's still grotesque, but I'll bet if you showed that to someone for the first time, they would correctly identify him. He actually has a big smile and prominent pointy chin here.

I guess it's the long term effect of being supreme commander of your own fart bubble bathysphere. You draw Obama with severe mandibular aplasia or cough up Muirish goatspeak for dialogue.

• Locked thread