Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Options depreciate more rapidly than vehicle in most cases. Safety features are a exception in most cases. Do not buy a vehicle with infotainment features in an effort to boost your vehicle's retail value. Example: Currently the differential in price for a 2003 Audi A4 with the Fancy rear end Bose Sound System that cost over $1,000 as an option when new is $56.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

As a used car buyer, a factory nav/infotainment system is actually a negative selling point to me. They're all crappy interfaces that get outdated quickly (poo poo, most are outdated on the showroom floor) and generally make it a pain in the rear end to ever change or update the system. Plus they sometimes tie in too much other non-infotainment functionality like HVAC and overcomplicated those systems. And god forbid it ever breaks.

For about $100 I was able to retrofit my car, with its factory non-nav stereo, with a line-level aux in, an A2DP bluetooth receiver, USB power, and a designed-for-my-specific-car smartphone mount. If my car had the factory nav that would have been far more difficult/expensive and I'd have a dumb screen that I wouldn't use taking up dash real estate.

Plus when I upgraded my iPhone from a 4 to a 6, my car's infotainment system got upgraded too!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
One thing that drives me nuts is how obtuse some manufacturers make the trim lines.

Audi is the worst for that with "Komfort, Progressiv, Technik". I would have to look at the prices to be able to tell which is the top tier etc. And their website blows for actually telling you what each one adds, instead just a big word dump of ALL the features for each level.

Not that I'm buying an Audi anyway.

My plan is to get the trim level that offers the best engine for my needs and then add on things I'd like to have and can fit in the budget. If I ever can find something that is fun to drive, practical and affordable. So far I can only find cars that have 2 out of those 3.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Also if you care loads about resale value you probably shouldn't be looking at a Kia. A GPS that is already worse than your phone's the day you buy the car isn't going to help you much.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

IRQ posted:

Also if you care loads about resale value you probably shouldn't be looking at a Kia. A GPS that is already worse than your phone's the day you buy the car isn't going to help you much.

What cars are likely to get better trade-in values in the future?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

LargeHadron posted:

What cars are likely to get better trade-in values in the future?

A Honda Fit or Honda CRV are some of the best bets for holding value.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Twerk from Home posted:

A Honda Fit or Honda CRV are some of the best bets for holding value.

How do you know this about the Fit? It's kind of a new car in the United States. Are you just extrapolating this from used car prices for Civics and Accords?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Fit has been here for a few years now and for pretty much all of those years, $currentyear-1 used Fits sell for very near the same price as $currentyear new Fits.

I honestly don't know who the gently caress is buying one-two year old Fits for the price of a brand new one, but it's definitely happening.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

silence_kit posted:

How do you know this about the Fit? It's kind of a new car in the United States. Are you just extrapolating this from used car prices for Civics and Accords?

The Fit has been in the USA for eight years. It's not that new.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

IOwnCalculus posted:

The Fit has been here for a few years now and for pretty much all of those years, $currentyear-1 used Fits sell for very near the same price as $currentyear new Fits.

I honestly don't know who the gently caress is buying one-two year old Fits for the price of a brand new one, but it's definitely happening.

Ok, so assuming no major change in the automobile market, these prices, and the general belief that Honda makes very reliable cars, are good enough to predict what a Fit bought today will be worth 10 years from now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Fit has been in the USA for eight years. It's not that new.

Didn't realize that. Ok.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 15, 2015

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don't think anyone really cares about resale value on a 10 year old car. I trade my cars in all the drat time, rarely keep one longer than 3 years, I focus on what the value of the car will be in the 3 to 5 year old range. We usually lease my wife's car for 3 years, and I tend to buy 1 -2 year old cars and drive them for 2 years. We have enough data on the Fit that the resale market on it is insanely strong. It may tone down a little now gas prices have dropped so much, but the Honda Fit and Toyota Corolla have commanded insane resale prices in the recent past.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

IOwnCalculus posted:

Are they actually selling our is it a case of everyone pricing them at what they see other people pricing them at on Craigslist?

Some people are allergic to buying new for whatever reason. It has been drilled into their heads that it is the dumbest financial thing you can possibly do.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

There's no way that everyone is just pricing cars at a price point where they don't move because they see other people do it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Some KBB values:

Honda Fit - Very Good condition - Standard Options - Private Party

2013 - 27500mi - $11791
2012 - 37500mi - $10495
2011 - 49500mi - $10419
2010 - 63500mi - $8875
2009 - 78000mi - $7721
2008 - 90000mi - $6191
2007 - 100000mi - $5296

The mileage is just the default that KBB fills in.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
I forgot to mention that I'm pretty set on getting a CPO. Does anyone want to convince me otherwise?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CPO is just a fancy manufacturer-backed warranty, nothing more.

This isn't to say that it's not necessarily a good idea, but the cars themselves are no different, they're just rolling in an extended warranty plan that is backed by the OEM. This is better than some extended warranties that involve third parties / deductibles and poo poo like that.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

CPO is just a fancy manufacturer-backed warranty, nothing more.

This isn't to say that it's not necessarily a good idea, but the cars themselves are no different, they're just rolling in an extended warranty plan that is backed by the OEM. This is better than some extended warranties that involve third parties / deductibles and poo poo like that.

This stuff is really complicated. So now I understand that there is a difference between manufacturer CPO and dealer CPO, and that dealer CPO is less robust. How do people on these forums feel about :

Buying on craigslist without an inspection
Buying on craigslist with an (independent) inspection
Buying at a dealer w/ dealer CPO (what about sites like Carmax compared to regular dealerships?)
Buying at a dealer w/ manufacturer CPO

Which option is the best combination of security and cost? If I'm looking at later (2012 and up) models, is this even something I need to worry about if the odometer is low?

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT
Jul 22, 2005

you can prob fix that with a little duct tape and a paper clip

*is MacGyver irl*
Buying on craigslist without an inspection - if you want to roll the dice on your 12k, feel free, but an inspection is a good idea unless the car is super cheap or you are confident mechanically and have access to a lift.
Buying on craigslist with an (independent) inspection - this is the best choice generally, unless your chosen car is either hard to find or unusually expensive private party.
Buying at a dealer w/ dealer CPO (what about sites like Carmax compared to regular dealerships?) - third party/dealer warranties can be awful to deal with, plus you are paying a dealer premium. Carmax warranty is actually pretty good but you will again be paying a premium over private party.
Buying at a dealer w/ manufacturer CPO - again, paying a premium over private party but better than third party CPO.

There are plenty of cars built 2012 or newer that have a mechanical problem or have been in a wreck. Don't assume that cars with low miles are perfect, or that a car sold at a dealer is problem free. I know it's long, but you might want to read through this thread some, because there's plenty of talk on car buying and financing.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Carmax as noted is good, but expensive.
Manufacturer cpos vary. Like BMWs is pretty good. Some mainstream manufacturers are less good (and less needed).
For all, read the warranty. If it has a list of things it covers instead of a list of things it excludes, you should probably run.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Looking for a car for occasional shopping trips interspersed with rare cross-country trips, not a daily commuter. In the Chicagoland area.

Proposed Budget: $15k USD, preferably more like $8k USD
New or Used: Used, given budget
Body Style: 4-door hatchback
How will you be using the car?: groceries, other supplies, and visiting the grandparents
What aspects are most important to you? reliability, MPG. Must fit both a supple neckbearded 6'3" american and a 5'6" polish woman comfortably for many hours. Cruise control a must.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Feel like that form should include a question of "Why doesn't a Prius meet your needs?"

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

smackfu posted:

Feel like that form should include a question of "Why doesn't a Prius meet your needs?"

A Pruis would be great, though a good used one would be near the top of the budget it seems. I'm looking for something cheaper ideally.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

My dad and I are really looking hard at the '15 Toyota Venza. He's done all his research with Consumer Reports and all that and it brought us to the Subaru dealer in town and to the Toyota guys, but actually not specifically to the Venza, as it's slightly out of our price range. But the Venza seems to have all we need - space in the back for family trips, lumbar support and leg room for him while driving (he's 76 and has two bad knees), it's not a beast so I can drive it too, etc. etc., so we're looking to see if we can swing it. It's looking good. It's likely we'll nab the mid-range model.

But like I said, we didn't do any Venza-specific research. Does it have anything to look out for? It seems like a pretty sweet car, I'd hate to find out there's some major problem with it.

I actually really liked the RAV4 and how it handled and drove but the seats were too small and cramped for my dad. They've been selling a poo poo ton of RAV4s around here and now I see why.

Edit: If anybody cares what we're upgrading from, it's a 1999 Plymouth Voyager. You can feel free to point and laugh at our lovely minivan. It's almost 16 years old and while I don't think we'll be keeping the next car QUITE as long, we obviously aren't the sort of people who upgrades every 3 - 5 years.

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 18, 2015

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

The Lobster posted:

My dad and I are really looking hard at the '15 Toyota Venza. He's done all his research with Consumer Reports and all that and it brought us to the Subaru dealer in town and to the Toyota guys, but actually not specifically to the Venza, as it's slightly out of our price range. But the Venza seems to have all we need - space in the back for family trips, lumbar support and leg room for him while driving (he's 76 and has two bad knees), it's not a beast so I can drive it too, etc. etc., so we're looking to see if we can swing it. It's looking good. It's likely we'll nab the mid-range model.

But like I said, we didn't do any Venza-specific research. Does it have anything to look out for? It seems like a pretty sweet car, I'd hate to find out there's some major problem with it.

I actually really liked the RAV4 and how it handled and drove but the seats were too small and cramped for my dad. They've been selling a poo poo ton of RAV4s around here and now I see why.

Edit: If anybody cares what we're upgrading from, it's a 1999 Plymouth Voyager. You can feel free to point and laugh at our lovely minivan. It's almost 16 years old and while I don't think we'll be keeping the next car QUITE as long, we obviously aren't the sort of people who upgrades every 3 - 5 years.

Nothing particularly wrong with the Venza, but if you liked the Voyager why not look at the current generation Grand Caravan or T&C?

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
Seeking opinions on my first project car.

Distance willing to travel for buy: +-200Miles (Will fly out for something spectacular)

Proposed Budget: $5000 - $7000

New or Used: Used

Body Style: 2 Door/4 Door, Wagon, Coupe, Or Hatch

How will you be using the car?: Driving, and hopefully enjoying the experience at least a little bit.

What aspects are most important to you?
Fun,
Subjectively Good Looking,
Easy to Repair,
Decent Aftermarket,
moderately quick,
Manual or CVT (For insight on lovely transmissions in these categories)
Fixed Top
==Ideally==
RWD or AWD
(I know I sound like every lovely teenager in a car forum. Sorry, I've just dealt with critical failure on multi-owner cars)

What aspects are the least important to you?
Body Style (Save SUVs [nope] and Sedans [not ideal])

===Current Prospects===
Would Love
MK1/MK2 MR2
Celica GT4/Alltrac
BMW 3Series MK1 - MK3 (Probably issues here in terms of finding in my budget not beat to poo poo)
RWD Platform Toyota in general.
Saab (Outside most of my parameters, but idc I love them)

Concessions
Focus/Fiesta
Golf
Volvo XC
Older, more reliable cars of the 80s/90s
3rd or 4th Gen Mustang (At the risk of sounding 16)
Trust Me I Know Better.
Jeep Wrangler [Again - Breaking my own rules, but another exception]

Would appreciate any input you guys and lady guys might have or some suggestions of things I may have missed.
Believe me I am doing research, but it doesn't hurt to get other people's opinions on things.

Even if you wanna call me an idiot teenager (despite being 26). That's cool too.

I just finally have a decent job and want to get something that is fun and easily fixed in the event of a breakdown.
Aside from my motorcycle I have never really owned anything for my own enjoyment.

Also have a lovely 2.4 turbo PT Cruiser Dream Cruiser in my family that I could buy/fix/make not awful, Steal the engine of and drop in a neon. Do something with... :negative: But let's hope it doesn't come to that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Lobster posted:

Nothing wrong with the Venza. It's roughly a big V6 Camry wagon. Go forth.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

Seeking opinions on my first project car.

Distance willing to travel for buy: +-200Miles (Will fly out for something spectacular)

Proposed Budget: $5000 - $7000

New or Used: Used

Body Style: 2 Door/4 Door, Wagon, Coupe, Or Hatch

How will you be using the car?: Driving, and hopefully enjoying the experience at least a little bit.

Fun,
Easy to Repair,
Decent Aftermarket,
moderately quick,
Manual or CVT (For insight on lovely transmissions in these categories)
Fixed Top
==Ideally==
RWD or AWD
(I know I sound like every lovely teenager in a car forum. Sorry, I've just dealt with critical failure on multi-owner cars)

What aspects are the least important to you?
Body Style (Save SUVs [nope] and Sedans [not ideal])

===Current Prospects===
Would Love
MK1/MK2 MR2
Celica GT4/Alltrac
BMW 3Series MK1 - MK3 (Probably issues here in terms of finding in my budget not beat to poo poo)
RWD Platform Toyota in general.
Saab (Outside most of my parameters, but idc I love them)

Concessions
Focus/Fiesta
Golf
Volvo XC
Older, more reliable cars of the 80s/90s
3rd or 4th Gen Mustang (At the risk of sounding 16)
Trust Me I Know Better.
Jeep Wrangler [Again - Breaking my own rules, but another exception]

Would appreciate any input you guys and lady guys might have or some suggestions of things I may have missed.
Believe me I am doing research, but it doesn't hurt to get other people's opinions on things.

Even if you wanna call me an idiot teenager (despite being 26). That's cool too.

I just finally have a decent job and want to get something that is fun and easily fixed in the event of a breakdown.
Aside from my motorcycle I have never really owned anything for my own enjoyment.

Also have a lovely 2.4 turbo PT Cruiser Dream Cruiser in my family that I could buy/fix/make not awful, Steal the engine of and drop in a neon. Do something with... :negative: But let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Miata with a hardtop maybe?
Nonturbo Nissan Z-car
turbo DSM (other than crank walk)

edit: if it ain't a daily, I like the 944 idea.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Yes you should definitely buy a Volvo XC(what? XC70? XC90?). Those are well known for being fun to drive, reliable and easy to repair with a good aftermarket.

Just buy a Miata.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Throatwarbler posted:

Nothing particularly wrong with the Venza, but if you liked the Voyager why not look at the current generation Grand Caravan or T&C?

Too big. We don't want another minivan.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Nothing wrong with the Venza. It's roughly a big V6 Camry wagon. Go forth.

Thanks!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

Is this ruling out a Miata? Because Miata.

The Lobster posted:

It's a fatter taller Camry, if you guys like it then that's as good an endorsement as any really.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Proposed Budget: Absolutely no more than $25k out the door
New or Used: Used (to minimize cost)
Body Style: Small SUV/Crossover
How will you be using the car? 95% of the time (~70% of the mileage) 10 minute commutes to/from work, 5% of the time (30% of the mileage) 2-day trips far away from civilization (Death Valley, Sequoia, Yosemite) the last few miles on dirt roads. Well documented off-road capability is a must. Automatic transmission (or CVT) is also a must.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability (if anything breaks, I'd like to be able to drive back to civilization [~300 mi] before fixing it), cost of ownership/maintenance, mpg in that order
Why doesn't a Prius meet your needs? I need off-road capability.

The Subaru Outback and Forester meet my needs perfectly. I have test driven an Outback and I liked it, but the price was high (2012 model with 70k miles, no warranty, for $21k), which is why the Forester (cheaper) would probably be a better fit (even though the Outback looks so much sexier). I read that models made since 2010 are pretty reliable (far fewer issues with head gaskets). Would a Honda CR-V or a Mazda CX5 be a decent alternative?

How should I feel about a used 2015 Forester with 2.5k miles? I like that the '15 models have an improved fuel efficiency compared to previous models. The car I am considering is here. It has low miles and the original warranty, but I'm unsure about the price.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I would not consider either of those cars particularly off-road capable but maybe my standards are too high?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I would not consider either of those cars particularly off-road capable but maybe my standards are too high?

For me, off-road = dirt road with some rocks/pits but no boulders. I will not attempt anything like this.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Proposed Budget: Absolutely no more than $25k out the door
New or Used: Used (to minimize cost)
Body Style: Truck (compact to mid-size, so basically no bigger than an F150)
How will you be using the car? Mainly commuting. Truck aspect will be used for hauling minimal items here and there and putting my bike in the back of it. I don't want an SUV or wagon or anything like that-I've always wanted a truck.
What aspects are most important to you? Creature comforts, reliability, cost of ownership
Why doesn't a Prius meet your needs? Because I hate the way they look

Basically, I've always wanted a truck because I like how they ride and I like having the ability to throw poo poo in the back and not worry about it much. I'm at a point where my current car is paid off and I can trade that in towards something I really want, and a truck is winning out. I just have no idea what's a good one to go for now (Dodge, ford, chevy, toyota, etc). I had a Nissan Frontier for a little bit but didn't like the fact that it was built on a bigger frame (for the Titan, I think) and so it's turning radius loving sucked. I wouldn't mind that turning radius if I had a bigger truck like a Titan or an F150, but it was a small truck with a lovely turning radius, which I didn't like. Also, I didn't like Nissan because it was pretty minimalist in creature comforts (it was a 2010)

nwin fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 19, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
What size of truck?
Like tacoma size, 1500, 2500, etc?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

nm posted:

What size of truck?
Like tacoma size, 1500, 2500, etc?

Sorry, thought i had mentioned that. Looking at either Tacoma or 1500 size.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Probably don't need a 3/4t for "hauling minimal items here and there and putting my bike in the back of it.", but then again probably 80% of the people who have 3/4ts can meet their needs with a Prius so :downs:

Anyway for used you should probably start looking at Ford just because they sell in the biggest numbers and you are more likely to find one in the right configuration for the right price. Starting in 2011 the base model Ford had the 3.7l DOHC V6 and 6 speed transmission while Dodge and GM you could only get either the old pushrod V6/3.7l SOHC with a 4 speed, or step up to the bigger V8 engine(which had about the same power as the Ford V6 but much worse fuel economy) to get the better transmission.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Throatwarbler posted:

Yes you should definitely buy a Volvo XC(what? XC70? XC90?). Those are well known for being fun to drive, reliable and easy to repair with a good aftermarket.

Just buy a Miata.
I know the Volvo is pretty well outside what I stated I wanted, but I like them, and admittedly haven't read too much into them yet.

IRQ posted:

Is this ruling out a Miata? Because Miata.
The Miata hasn't really been on my radar.

I don't know why. I don't really ever see hard tops of them either.

This is despite being in the frozen north. If I can find one I will probably go for it.

Sing like a girl
Aug 8, 2011
I'm posting this and I don't know why, my husband has already got his heart set on a gently caress ugly Nissan Leaf and is actually going to pick it up today unless I say something about any potential better alternatives because it is literally the only loving option for an electric vehicle in Florida.

Our car is written off. 15 year old VW Beetle, broke down on the highway and the repairs would cost more than it is worth.

If say I got a second hand Fiat 500e from another state would we be hosed if it ever needed repairs? I have wanted one for years.

I don't really want a non electric, we only drive 20 miles max a day and even in Florida, there are enough fast charge stations to cover a longer occassional trip.

Also, because I have never bought a new car before, and I have never bought one on credit, here is a scenario.

Say you go to your Nissan dealership and you tell the guy you are wavering between buying different cars (we had gone to see Beetles and Fiat 500s earlier in the day), that you are not making any instant decisions because you love Beetles and are also considering a Fiat. But when you make a decision, you want to put $5000 down and you can pay it off within a year, or two years if the terms are good. And the guy goes off to crunch numbers and comes back 20 minutes later with his manager, who tells you your credit is in the "excellent" range and therefore they are going to offer 6 years interest free credit, and the monthly payment they stated certainly does add up to the cost of the car. And they are all "You wanted to put $5000 down and pay in a year but if you buy OUR car we can offer you these terms interest free for 6 years, who else would offer you that?"

What is the catch there? There must be one, right?

My budget btw is max $30k if anyone wants to make any other recommendations. I like cute cars and I'm grown up enough to admit that this is a pretty stupid reason to make a final decision on, but God the Leaf is ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009

Retro Access posted:

....What is the catch there? There must be one, right?....

Generally, you are looking at a choice of either factory and/or dealer incentives/rebates, or a low rate through them of 0.0% or 0.9%, but not both. You need to see if there are any rebates/incentives available, and determine if they tally up enough to make up for not having a 0.0% loan. I would see what your bank or credit union can offer you if there are good rebates. (My CU is currently offering 0.9% right now, so I wouldn't need a ton in incentives to make it worth my while to go that route, especially if you're looking at a short payoff).