Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

vegaji posted:

I know that Slavic women age quickly

I'm sorry, what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

my dad posted:

I'm sorry, what?
Age at natural menopause in Russia is lower than in other countries of Central and Eastern Europe, source. Doesn't mean that all Slavic women are such, yes. I'd extend Russia to Ukraine/Belarus.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

kalstrams posted:

Thing with units OddObserver mentions was that "they were hammered down constantly by Russian bombardments, and every time separatists tried to advance they rose from ruins and fended them off and thus separatists started to call them "cyborgs" for that", which may or may not be accurate, but certainly overdramatized story.

Thank you kal and oddobserver. I thought it was a bad translation this whole time, but that's actually really loving hardcore sounding. heh.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

kalstrams posted:

Age at natural menopause in Russia is lower than in other countries of Central and Eastern Europe, source. Doesn't mean that all Slavic women are such, yes. I'd extend Russia to Ukraine/Belarus.

The differences are still fairly minor statistically compared to the "stories" and assumptions you hear. That said, a hard life filled with manual labor does age your appearance especially with a harsh climate, often a poor diet and over consumption of alcohol. Many of the women who look like "brick shithouses" look that way because they did some type of manual labor most of their lives and just built up a ton of muscle strength compared to a woman in the West. In many ways it is a class thing if anything.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ardennes posted:

The differences are still fairly minor statistically compared to the "stories" and assumptions you hear. That said, a hard life filled with manual labor does age your appearance especially with a harsh climate, often a poor diet and over consumption of alcohol. Many of the women who look like "brick shithouses" look that way because they did some type of manual labor most of their lives and just built up a ton of muscle strength compared to a woman in the West. In many ways it is a class thing if anything.

My wife is Russian (as are many of our friends), and looks great at almost 40. I'd bet the living conditions have far more to do with the babushkization of women than some genetic thing.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Some good poo poo going down in Armenia from the Russian soldier killing an Armenian family. Just heard shots fired just as I was typing this. Would be loving classic if Russian idiocy provokes another anti-russian coup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM5z7VT3yJk

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

I think I'm going to start translating the entries from that Blog which is supposedly keeping track of Russian losses (I think they're claiming they're getting the info from intelligence and intercepts) just because it's kind of inspiring from a pro-Ukrainian perspective.

Mariupol Operational Area. 200th Artillery Brigade while achieving given objectives as a result of return Arillery-Rocket fire of AFoU. "300" - 4
Mariupol Operational Area. 1140th Guard Artillery Regiment (*twice awarded order of the Red Banner) of the 76th DSHD while carrying out battle missions as a result of return fire of AFoU. "200" - 5, "300" - 9
Mariupol Operational Area. 810th Marine Brigade of CHF RF while carrying out given battle missions as a result of battles with AFoU units. "200" - 11, "300" - 17
Mariupol Operational Area. A unit of 45th Separate regiment of Special Forces VDV (*Kubinka, Moscow Region) while carrying out orders as a result of battles with AFoU units. "200" - 8, "300" -34 (16 Heavily).
Region of Donetsk. CHP I'm bringing to your attention the fact that as a result of a personal conflict due to mutual dislike a member of Combined Shock Battalion MVD CHR used his personal firearm to kill an officer of the 31st Guard ODSHB VDV. Requesting an order to immediately relocate the Combined Shock Battalion MVD CHR.
Region of Donetsk (airport). Unit of 656s OISB while attempting to sweep for mines came under a mortar barrage by the AFoU. "200" - 3
Region of Donetsk (airport). Further details of losses in the Combined Shock Battalion MVD CHR "200" - 18, "300" - 5, MIA - 10, Captured - 2 (Confirmed).
Region of Lugansk. AFoU rocket strike on the deployment place of units of 22nd Separate Brigade GRU HQ RF (*v/ch 11659, Rostov Region). There is partial collapse of the building of the deployment. Losses are being confirmed.

Region of Lugansk. Further details of losses of the 22nd Separate Brigade GRU HQ RF (*v/ch 11659, Rostov Region). "200" - 42, "300" - 23, Missing - 1
Region of Yelenovka. Unit of 288th Artillery Brigade 20 OA ZVO while performing a planned rotation of the unit came under Rocket-Artillery strike of AFoU. "200" - 6, "300" - 20. Asking for permission to retreat the unit from the line of fire. The situation is complicated by the fact that the Militia units defending the positions in this region are practically destroyed.
Region of Lugansk. Unit of 104th Paratrooper Regiment 76th DSHD came under small arms and mortar fire while marching. "200" - 2, "300" - 9. Losses of Technical Units - 2 armored vehicles.
Region of Donetsk (airport). Asking for the immediate retreat of units of 234-th Paratrooper Regiment 76th DSHD from the line of contact and rotation with reinforced units. Losses are being confirmed.
Region of Donetsk (airport). Units of 175th Separate Recon Company 76th DSHD while carrying out a mission came into a region of un-detonated mine field. Were found and came under fire from heavy machine guns. Contact with the unit was lost.
Region of Donetsk (airport). Unit of 234th Paratrooper Regiment 76th DSHD repeatedly came under heavy artillery strikes by the AFoU and began retreating to without receiving the order. Losses are being confirmed. Units of the 5th Separate Tank brigade 36th OF VVO are taking their place.
Region of Donetsk (airport). Units of 5th Separate Tank brigade 36th OF VVO came under heavy Rocket-Artillery fire. Losses are being confirmed.

If anyone has any idea of what some of those abbriviation are it would help. All I know is that AFoU is Armed Forces of Ukraine and VDV are the Airborne.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Holly molly. Armenians, if anything, are way more hotheaded than any Russians, same goes for social bonds. :suspense:

Edit: Serigu64:
v/ch is military base (voinskaya chast').
DSHD is airborne stormtrooper division (desantno-shturmovaya diviziya).
CHF RF is Black Sea Fleet of Russian Federation (Chernomorskiy Flot Rossiyskoy Federatsii).
VDV, yes, as you mention, airborne troops (vozdushno-desantniye voyska).
CHP is emergency situation (chrezvychainoe proishestvie).
MVD is Interior Ministry (Ministerstvo Vnutrennih Del).
MVD CHR is Int.Min. department of either Chechenya or Chuvashia.
ODSHB VDV is separate airborne stormtrooper battalion of airborne troops (otdelniy desantno-shturmovoy batalyon vozdushno-desantnyh voysk).
OIB is separate engineer-sapper battalion (otdelniy inzhenerno-saperniy batalyon).
"200" - dead.
"300" - wounded.
GRU HQ RF (just in casE) - Main Intelligence Directorate of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation.
20 OA ZVO - 20th Guards Army's of Western Military District.
36 OF VVO - 36th Army of Eastern Military District.

In general, any 'separate' formation is important dudes, any 'guardian' formation is even more important units. 'Separate guardian' is even better. Top tier elite, of regular forces, will be 'XXXth separate guardian something something of [military person] [valour/orden/something]'. To say, in your list '656s OISB' is about as high as it can get without being special forces.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 15, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Somaen posted:

Some good poo poo going down in Armenia from the Russian soldier killing an Armenian family. Just heard shots fired just as I was typing this. Would be loving classic if Russian idiocy provokes another anti-russian coup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM5z7VT3yJk

The crowd will hopefully find and cleanse Armenia of Putin's goblins.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Nonsense posted:

The crowd will hopefully find and cleanse Armenia of Putin's goblins.

I kind of doubt it, it would necessitate peace with Azerbaijan and that isn't going to happen (Armenia gets considerable military support from Russia). I haven't been to Armenia, much of what I saw and heard in Azerbaijan confirmed my suspicion that war will just keep on going (Azerbaijan wants it "all back" one way or another). That said, I suspect the Russians will do every possible not to cool tensions over this incident at this point.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Mightypeon posted:

I would call shenangians on this.
Ukrainian fascists dislike being called fascists because "that stuff was totally their idea and they would never take any inspiration from unmanly Italians/boring Germans or whatever".
Also, if it was true, Russian propaganda would propably be all over it already.

The German also appears to be a bit off/werid (maybe because of the 70 year difference). More grammitically and "poetically" correct version:

Ob's stürmt oder schneit,
Ob die Sonne uns lacht,
Der Tag glühend heiß
Oder eiskalt die Nacht.
Bestaubt die Gesichter,
Doch froh ist der Sinn,
Es braust unser Panzer
Im Sturmwind dahin.

I was joking friend. I copied it from this website for US Army Cavalry veterans stationed in Germany: http://www.1-33rdar.org/. Credit to you though- no one can accuse you of not sometimes giving Western Ukrainians the benefit of the doubt.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
I've got family in Yerevan, and they're a little spooked by this. They know enough to know that Armenia needs Russia or they're essentially hosed (between Turkey and Azerbaijan), but a lot of people are really not fond of basically being treated as a second-class to the Russians who live/are stationed there.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Ardennes posted:

I kind of doubt it, it would necessitate peace with Azerbaijan and that isn't going to happen (Armenia gets considerable military support from Russia). I haven't been to Armenia, much of what I saw and heard in Azerbaijan confirmed my suspicion that war will just keep on going (Azerbaijan wants it "all back" one way or another). That said, I suspect the Russians will do every possible not to cool tensions over this incident at this point.

By this incident you mean Nagorno-Karabakh or the psycho murderer soldier? And if the latter, why? I suppose there may be precedental reasons why they won't want to just hand him over, but there are probably ways of finessing that --- heck, even express court martial with a sentence that would satisfy Armenians, it's not like Russia has fair trials on political matters anyway. I am pretty sure that bayoneting of 2 year old wasn't done in service of motherland...

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

There are, but I get the sense that Russian army doesn't like to own up.

I remember seeing a story where a drunk Russian Tank driver run into and ruined a dude's house. Then got out of the tank in an obviously drunk state with many witnessing his drunk state. But his commander was like: he was not drunk, because it would be disgraceful if he was drunk; period. The dude was just left without a house and that's it.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Are we to conclude that running into houses with a tank while the driver is sober isn't disgraceful?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sergiu64 posted:

If anyone has any idea of what some of those abbriviation are it would help.
Let me know if you need more.

OddObserver posted:

Are we to conclude that running into houses with a tank while the driver is sober isn't disgraceful?
Of course it isn't, he was in hurry to defend the motherland. :ussr:

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

Thanks kalstrams!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

OddObserver posted:

Its preferrable to running over houses with a MBT while crew are not sober.

kalstrams posted:

Of course it isn't, he was in hurry to defend the motherland. :ussr:

In such a hurry, was driving most direct path to Moscow

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

kalstrams posted:

Around 0:27 she says she heard something that she describes as "hit, clap, click". At 1:41 she says that she did not hear something that she would describe as incoming fire or barrage, she heard clap. She emphasizes clap, as in huge/loud/strong clap, and she does not say in a "only clap" or "nothing else but clap" way.

Edit: Click not clip.

It's ludicrous Of course you wouldn't hear a 'click' from a mine before it detonates any more than you hear the detonator of an artillery shell click before it explodes, least of all while riding inside a bus. If she was there and heard something then it must have been the shockwave that blasted the bus locking her ears, or a random creak of the bus associated with the event.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

OddObserver posted:

lmao

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

OddObserver posted:

By this incident you mean Nagorno-Karabakh or the psycho murderer soldier? And if the latter, why? I suppose there may be precedental reasons why they won't want to just hand him over, but there are probably ways of finessing that --- heck, even express court martial with a sentence that would satisfy Armenians, it's not like Russia has fair trials on political matters anyway. I am pretty sure that bayoneting of 2 year old wasn't done in service of motherland...

The soldier, then they would have to admit they had a psycho in their ranks and had done nothing, making them look completely incompetent. That said, they were but they really don't want to have to vocalize it. As far as Nagorno-Karabakh, it isn't going to be fixed, Armenia isn't going to abandon it or force a mass exodus at this point and it has taken a prime place in Azerbaijani nationalism/militarism. That said, Russia recently has a habit of counting their eggs before their hatched.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Ardennes posted:

There's actually a surprisingly high anti-Russian sentiment in Nagorno-Karabakh relative to the rest of the country. The mentality there is basically that they're willing to sell out to the highest bidder, be it the EU (hah), the US or Russia, so long as they get some development aid and the guns don't stop working. Armenian diaspora aid is also pretty prominent -- pretty much every stretch of highway (and there's like one decent highway, but another is being built from northern Armenia which will make an Armenia-NK loop) has a sign denoting which diaspora community or family coughed up the change for its construction.

Some of the anti-Russian sentiment stems from the war itself, where Russia effectively gamed each side. Viktor Polyanichko, a Russian/Soviet commander who early on contributed his Afghan war specialties to the Azeri OMON, is still remembered in a pretty negative light by Artsakh nationalists who saw him as embodying everything wrong with Russian foreign policy. Armenia/NK still outguns Azerbaijan, largely thanks to Russia, of course, but even if the ties were severed tomorrow they'd still be able to fend off any Azeri moves for the time being. Azerbaijan, however, is playing arms catchup. I doubt Azerbaijan will seriously push anything, but recent changes in civil society are a bit worrisome. The big thing for Armenia, as always, are the remittances from workers in Russia that help keep the Armenian economy afloat, although the decline of the rouble isn't panning out so well for many Armenian families.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Mightypeon posted:

Kíev and anything west of it are safe, just dont make any political noises that could be in some way interpreted as not Ukrainian Nationalist.
Otherwise, use the same precautions one would have used in late 90s Russia. Be extra cautious in Dnipro, Lviv and Ivano Frankivsk will on contrast be the safest places.
Oh, never leave your passport at home, carry it with you, it can propably make some problems go away.
Your embassy may also give you some additional advice on what to do and what not. Legally, as long as there isnt a travel warning,you are propably fine.
Be aware that any insurance you enter will propably have force majeure clauses, which can result in shenangians given that war is a possibility.

All of this is solid travel except for that part I bolded. Do not carry your passport with you because that makes it 100x more likely that it will get lost or stolen. The other reason you don't want to carry it is that if you hand the cops your passport, they have control of you, whereas if it's a photocopy you can leave the situation a lot more easily. Instead, carry a few photocopies of the main page with you, and if you really want to make the extra effort, a photocopy of your entry stamp.

You can buy a local simcard and a burner phone for about 20 bucks and you should do this immediately. Not only is a phone obviously useful for other stuff, you can call the embassy if you run into problems. This is the number you should have in your phone: 044-521-5000. That phone is answered by the marine on duty 24 hours a day, and if you tell them you've been stopped by the police and you don't understand why, they'll transfer you to someone who will want to talk to the cops. At that point most cops just start walking away because you're not worth the hassle.This is less likely to be a problem in Kiev than elsewhere and the average cop might be more pro-American, (might be) but government salaries are still poo poo and militsia are definitely feeling the pressure to make ends meet.

Still, if you show them you're not an easy mark, they're not gonna mess with you. You're also way less likely to be stopped if you make a little bit of effort not to stand out as a foreigner. The best ways to do this are:
1) Be white
2) Never smile in public

If you can manage both of those, you'll fit right in!

Smerdyakov fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 15, 2015

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

MothraAttack posted:

Armenia/NK still outguns Azerbaijan, largely thanks to Russia, of course, but even if the ties were severed tomorrow they'd still be able to fend off any Azeri moves for the time being. Azerbaijan, however, is playing arms catchup. I doubt Azerbaijan will seriously push anything, but recent changes in civil society are a bit worrisome.

Could you or Ardennes please tell me how come Azerbaijan didn't modernize its military during the $100/bbl gravy train?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Isn't Azerbaijan like the lowest grade of tinpot dictatorship, complete with statues of the president everywhere and sayings from his little (x color) book? Most post-USSR countries are hosed up but I was under the impression that Azeri was one of the worst?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 15, 2015

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

my dad posted:

I'm sorry, what?

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Somaen posted:

Could you or Ardennes please tell me how come Azerbaijan didn't modernize its military during the $100/bbl gravy train?

I don't know enough about it to really give insight, but I understand that they've made some progress re: armaments in the past few years. They were pretty poo poo during the NK war in part because 1. their troops had no experience while Armenians had a few years of ammo hiding and agitation and 2. they suffered a near civil war themselves during the period. They're more politically cohesive now, though, so I'm not sure how they would perform. Still, NK has a huge "fedayeen" culture and you have entire small communities of people that are led by experienced veterans who are probably stashing arms in weird caves. The only place I've been like it is Israel -- it's a highly militarized settler enclave, in many respects, and they're not going to cede an inch. Plus, the territory is a bitch. Put some good artillery up on Shushi, one of the elevated towns, and you can pound anyone trying to hold Stepanakert (note: the Azeris did this in the war, and Armenian guerrillas scaled the hills and knocked them out.)

icantfindaname posted:

Isn't Azerbaijan like the lowest grade of tinpot dictatorship, complete with statues of the president everywhere and sayings from his little (x color) book? Most post-USSR countries are hosed up but I was under the impression the Azeris were some of the worst?

They were doing relatively better, and their petrostate status gives them some clout. I hear you can meet a lot of Texan families in Baku, for example. That said, they've clamped down on civil society a lot in the past year, raiding newspapers, jailing journalists and forcing the termination of the Peace Corps program, among other highlights.

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away

icantfindaname posted:

Isn't Azerbaijan like the lowest grade of tinpot dictatorship, complete with statues of the president everywhere and sayings from his little (x color) book? Most post-USSR countries are hosed up but I was under the impression that Azeri was one of the worst?
You're likely thinking of Turkmenistan.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

MothraAttack posted:

There's actually a surprisingly high anti-Russian sentiment in Nagorno-Karabakh relative to the rest of the country. The mentality there is basically that they're willing to sell out to the highest bidder, be it the EU (hah), the US or Russia, so long as they get some development aid and the guns don't stop working. Armenian diaspora aid is also pretty prominent -- pretty much every stretch of highway (and there's like one decent highway, but another is being built from northern Armenia which will make an Armenia-NK loop) has a sign denoting which diaspora community or family coughed up the change for its construction.

Some of the anti-Russian sentiment stems from the war itself, where Russia effectively gamed each side. Viktor Polyanichko, a Russian/Soviet commander who early on contributed his Afghan war specialties to the Azeri OMON, is still remembered in a pretty negative light by Artsakh nationalists who saw him as embodying everything wrong with Russian foreign policy. Armenia/NK still outguns Azerbaijan, largely thanks to Russia, of course, but even if the ties were severed tomorrow they'd still be able to fend off any Azeri moves for the time being. Azerbaijan, however, is playing arms catchup. I doubt Azerbaijan will seriously push anything, but recent changes in civil society are a bit worrisome. The big thing for Armenia, as always, are the remittances from workers in Russia that help keep the Armenian economy afloat, although the decline of the rouble isn't panning out so well for many Armenian families.

For the reason you say though, the awkwardness of their political and economic position still forces Armenia is a pretty small corner and while Armenia isn't going to collapse without Russia, Azerbaijan isn't going to stop. The way I see it is more of a case of which of them the Armenians can stomach for now. The US is general has tried to stay neutral, investment in Azerbaijan (including Baku) trumps what Armenia has to offer even with the big Armenia-American diaspora community.

Also, I disagree about the Armenian military advantage especially in the air, Azerbaijan has been putting a lot of money in air superiority over the years. I think it is more equal on the ground but in the air, Azerbaijan has an advantage and there were rumors of them making some larger arms purchases.

icantfindaname posted:

I don't know about loyalist grade, some of those towers in Baku are very shiny! I don't know about the worst in the CIS (Turkmenistan still trumps) but certainly the most authoritarian in the Caucasus. But yeah I have lots of stories from living in Baku for a while, some of them I wouldn't post on a mostly public forum.

Azerbaijan does have a North Korea vibe in a sense, there is a big cult of personality the Aliyev family and it is practical monarchical. Little to no civil society, especially now and giant economic inequality. It is sort of like you mixed the oil money and construction of the gulf (and I guess the climate) with heavier traditional post-soviet authoritarianism... Oh and pervasive militarism.

Somaen posted:

I disagree with him there, I think Azerbaijan has modernized to significant extent, not enough to overwhelm Armenia but enough to put them in a awkward position.The core competent of the Armenian air force is 11 SU-25s, as we know are pretty poor for air surperiority compared to an Azerbaijani Mig-29 or a Mig-25. Both sides are reliant on Soviet/post-Soviet hardware.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 15, 2015

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

Be that as it may Armenia still "successfully" pulled a Donetsk on Azerbaijan and nabbed 10% of the country. No wonder they're pissed and want it back.

e: worse in that they also grabbed large areas were there weren't even armenians in any relevant numbers

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 15, 2015

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Ardennes posted:

I disagree with him there, I think Azerbaijan has modernized to significant extent, not enough to overwhelm Armenia but enough to put them in a awkward position.

Yeah, I grant you that. Air superiority isn't something I've considered or know much about. Of course my perceptions are also subject to coloration by attitudes on the ground. I think Armenians in Armenia proper are more lukewarm about defending Karabakh than they'd let on publicly, though. I haven't been to Azerbaijan but would like to some day to learn more about attitudes there.

MeLKoR posted:

Be that as it may Armenia still "successfully" pulled a Donetsk on Azerbaijan and nabbed 10% of the country. No wonder they're pissed and want it back.

e: worse in that they also grabbed large areas were there weren't even armenians in any relevant numbers

In a sense, perhaps. Yet even before the war got really hot you had really gratuitous ethnic cleanings on each side, which explains the absence of Armenians in Baku and Nakhchivan or Azeris in Yerevan or southern Armenia. Interestingly, lots of Armenians from Baku still identify as from Baku, first and foremost. Of course Azeris understandably want the territory returned, which does include places like Aghdam that were entirely Azeri and now lay dormant (looted by Armenians in the aftermath). The problem now is that it's a homogenous Armenian population that has been living there for 25 years, which makes everything so intractable (not to mention the hundreds of thousands of Azeri IDPs displaced from Karabakh and Armenia living inside Azerbaijan).

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

GBS has this:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

MothraAttack posted:

In a sense, perhaps. Yet even before the war got really hot you had really gratuitous ethnic cleanings on each side, which explains the absence of Armenians in Baku and Nakhchivan or Azeris in Yerevan or southern Armenia. Interestingly, lots of Armenians from Baku still identify as from Baku, first and foremost. Of course Azeris understandably want the territory returned, which does include places like Aghdam that were entirely Azeri and now lay dormant (looted by Armenians in the aftermath). The problem now is that it's a homogenous Armenian population that has been living there for 25 years, which makes everything so intractable (not to mention the hundreds of thousands of Azeri IDPs displaced from Karabakh and Armenia living inside Azerbaijan).

Sure, poo poo is terrible and there is no good end in sight but my point was that Azerbaijan did get hosed by Armenia. It's not like they're being irrationally militaristic any more than Ukraine.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

MeLKoR posted:

Sure, poo poo is terrible and there is no good end in sight but my point was that Azerbaijan did get hosed by Armenia. It's not like they're being irrationally militaristic any more than Ukraine.

I largely agree, but you have to deal with what's there. Both sides are pretty dumb hot-headed at this point, but sabre-rattling is kind of dumb when OSCE Minsk is starting to get its juices going again for the first time in years.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

MothraAttack posted:

I largely agree, but you have to deal with what's there. Both sides are pretty dumb hot-headed at this point, but sabre-rattling is kind of dumb when OSCE Minsk is starting to get its juices going again for the first time in years.

If you want dumb, here is what was posted on Azeri president's (verified) twitter, https://mobile.twitter.com/presidentaz :

quote:

Armenia is a powerless and poor country.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

If Armenia didn’t have major patrons in various capitals, the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict would have been resolved fairly long ago.

Considering the Russian base(s?) in Armenia the dude has a point.

Look, I don't want it to look like I'm batting for this rear end in a top hat, I haven't even checked his wiki page, as far as I know he's a nut but that doesn't make him the agressor in this.

"You got ethnic cleansed, deal with it" is a hard pill to swallow.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Yeah, Armenia has more international backing batting for them than Azerbaijan, although Azerbaijan's military is on the up and up. Thing is that both sides were ethnically cleansed and the whole thing goes back to Stalin trying to appease Turkey. It's a poo poo sandwich that maybe, just maybe, OSCE can come out on top of but I don't think anyone in Azerbaijan takes them seriously anymore.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
I'd like to address the point I've seen a few times that the US has tried to remain neutral between Azerbaijan and Armenia. It...it hasn't, actually. Turkey and Azerbaijan are very closely tied due to a mutual animosity toward Armenians, so Turkey builds up Azerbaijan. The US won't even officially vote to accept the Armenian Genocide as a thing that happened for fear of pissing off Turkey.

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

Pimpmust posted:

I think the article means that it will be 50 000 soldiers in several waves, not 50 000 soldiers x 3 waves, because that would be nuts :psyduck:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30833590 states that initial intake is 50k, with more then 100k planned to be drafted over the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

A photo of some of the "cyborgs" fighting at Donetsk airport on Facebook.

• Locked thread