Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

West SAAB Story posted:

So, my bluetooth OBDII adapter from Amazon with a REAL ELM 327 (a pretty drat convincing silkscreen on the chip) worked perfectly, but the software CD was literally cracked. I contacted the seller, and let them know the CD was broken, and I was using it with Torque, but wouldn't mind the supporting software.

After 2 exchanges regarding my purchase information, I was sent a link to a :filez: dump. Did they misinterpret the CD being cracked? Oh, Amazon your sellers so crazy! :allears:

You don't want to put random Chinese manufacturer CDs into your computer anyway. We've definitely found nasty poo poo on driver CDs in the past, just sticking it in a Linux box and snooping around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 218 days!)

Pham Nuwen posted:

You don't want to put random Chinese manufacturer CDs into your computer anyway. We've definitely found nasty poo poo on driver CDs in the past, just sticking it in a Linux box and snooping around.

I can only imagine. I seem to recall something in SH/SC as an autoexec file dropper which caused nothing but pain. I just like stuff to be complete if I reselleBay it later. It was highly rated and "fulfilled by Amazon", so I didn't think this would be nearly as transparent as a $5 eBay item would have been.

E: Haven't tried to hook up HyperTerm or anything to the device (yet). Remember, folks, SCANTOOL.NET uses clones now, so set your identification string accordingly (check out the scantool 1.13 source on SF and the ELM 327 AT command set if this doesn't make sense :pcgaming: ).

v- What does this mean when translated into EN_us?

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 15, 2015

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
So my problem is mainly a bit of bad advice that compounded. Now I owe the government £2900 and have about 5k in other debts hanging over me. As its under 15k I may apply for a debt relief order. You pay £90 and don't pay any debt off for a year. If your into he same financial situation after a year all the debt is written of. Kinda like bankruptcy lite.

I am bipolar and before I knew I was not the best with money. Still not great but mrs deals with it all for me :) hopefully in 6 years I will have a fresh slate. Which at 35 won't be great but my credit is so bad I can't use it anyway so what's the loss? Oh yeah and UK here. Why do you pay £700 to go bang? It's kicking you in the teeth surely?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
loving Windows Server 2012. Theres a bug that causes LanManServer service to hard lock, killing all SMB connections which requires a hard restart of the server as it won't shutdown until LanManServer Service responds....and it won't respond.

I hope they fixed it in 2012 R2, because its that or we move our Domain File Server onto a Linux box like I wanted to do originally.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Just reinstall 2003 SMB. Then demote it to BDC. :getin:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

West SAAB Story posted:

Just reinstall 2003 SMB. Then demote it to BDC. :getin:

https://social.technet.microsoft.co...smb-connections

gently caress, I'm ready to just roll a *nix SMB server and kill this thing.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

CommieGIR posted:

https://social.technet.microsoft.co...smb-connections

Mine would cause it to uninstall virtually all add-ons (like SQL server, Exchange, uh.. core services), and render an unbootable platform. Ask me how I know (I didn't do it myself- but had to clean up after it)).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

West SAAB Story posted:

Mine would cause it to uninstall virtually all add-ons (like SQL server, Exchange, uh.. core services), and render an unbootable platform. Ask me how I know (I didn't do it myself- but had to clean up after it)).

I love the second poster in that TechNet thread:

"Its a network issue, obviously. I'm going to chastise you for not looking at the basics because I didn't read the actual problem" :rolleyes:

No it isn't you pedantic little rear end, because all other network services (iSCSI, SMTP, TCP/IP) remain responsive and other than SMB connectivity is not inhibited.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

CommieGIR posted:

No it isn't you pedantic little rear end, because all other network services (iSCSI, SMTP, TCP/IP) remain responsive and other than SMB connectivity is not inhibited.

I'm not a Windows guy. I'm not even supposed to be here today.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

West SAAB Story posted:

I'm not a Windows guy. I'm not even supposed to be here today.

I'm an ex-UNIX sys admin, Windows pays the bills.

But that wasn't directed at you, it was commenting on the guy in the thread ;)

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

CommieGIR posted:

I'm an ex-UNIX sys admin, Windows pays the bills.

But that wasn't directed at you, it was commenting on the guy in the thread ;)

Yeah, me too. Started in admin, went into programming. Got paid to unfuck never-managed-resources-before code (looking at you, PHP and Java fucks). Except for paying the bills.. this fits- and (recent) Windows. I quoted that hoping for the inferred Clerks tone.

So, you got a quarter, want a blowjob, or what? These Kindles ain't gonna pay the bills.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Cage posted:

My dad got laid off until March, so today hes going to a hobby shop to maybe start building model cars again. :3:

gently caress yeah, hobby dads are the best dads. Mine is getting back into flying r/c stuff alongside me, mom and I got him a quadcopter for Christmas and he got a fixed pitch Blade 200 shortly before New Years. If the weather warms up and the wind dies down we're planning on flying this weekend.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

Stepdad's birthday was yesterday. I gave him a $50 Walmart gift card for his birthday. He bitched and said it might help with groceries for a day. Thanks rear end in a top hat, that was 1.5 days of tips to pay for that.

Your stepdad's a dick. It's a free $50 gift card.. :(

Sorry man. :glomp:

keykey fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 15, 2015

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

T1g4h posted:

gently caress yeah, hobby dads are the best dads. Mine is getting back into flying r/c stuff alongside me, mom and I got him a quadcopter for Christmas and he got a fixed pitch Blade 200 shortly before New Years. If the weather warms up and the wind dies down we're planning on flying this weekend.

I told him to get a little helicopter but he kind of laughed at the idea. He quit smoking a week ago so hes just looking for little things to do around the house.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

The best Chinese thing I've ever bought was this: http://www.amazon.com/HIGH-POWER-RA...asin=B007M7RP6Q

A "Signal King" 802.11n usb 2.0 adapter. Seriously, the thing is loving amazing, probably because it was built in china with 0 regulations or fucks in mind. It also came with a tiny cd with all sorts of wep/wpa cracking apps to boot from. Aaaaaand, they work actually surprisingly amazing as well. I used them to test my own wifi router and found that no matter what I switched it to wep/wpa/wpa2 the little bastard does all sorts of cracking. Also the range on the thing is crazy. I can be anywhere on the 20 acres and have 5 bars. Also it's completely plug and play for win 7. There are no downsides to this thing, why can't any major manufacturers build things like this?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

It's pretty loving easy, just do it. I had SMB rolled out on a Slackware box and mounted on my Win 7 desktop within 30 minutes despite being rusty at Slackware and new to SMB on both Linux & Windows.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

keykey posted:

There are no downsides to this thing, why can't any major manufacturers build things like this?

Probably because it's hilariously out of compliance with FCC guidelines.

I might have to pick one of those up.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

keykey posted:

There are no downsides to this thing, why can't any major manufacturers build things like this?

I give it two weeks. Then your house will catch fire.

Motronic posted:

I might have to pick one of those up.

..yup.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Motronic posted:

My thoughts exactly. I bought it originally because it was cheap so I could stream movies from my PC to an outside laptop/projector setup. It looks cheap and feels cheap, but who cares, because the range and most importantly speed per range is amazing.

West SAAB Story posted:

I give it two weeks. Then your house will catch fire.

Its 2 weeks were up 3 years ago.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

keykey posted:

Just playing with fire. The hot kind.

Sooooooooooooooooooooo, the 2000 9-5 windshield cracked at least 4" up from the bottom in the last two weeks that I was MIA. My girls. My girls. :derp:

E: gently caress STOP PLAYING WITH THE FONTS. EVEN I HAVE A LIMIT.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 15, 2015

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

keykey posted:

In that case, you're now sterile.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Motronic posted:

In that case, you're now sterile.

that is a victory for all mansaabkind.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pham Nuwen posted:

It's pretty loving easy, just do it. I had SMB rolled out on a Slackware box and mounted on my Win 7 desktop within 30 minutes despite being rusty at Slackware and new to SMB on both Linux & Windows.

Do they have Domain support? I mean, if I recall Slack does, but I can't remember.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

CommieGIR posted:

Do they have Domain support? I mean, if I recall Slack does, but I can't remember.

Sure.

Just sudo gzip -dc file.tar.gz | tar xvpf - -C /

Same as it was in 1994.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

West SAAB Story posted:

Sure.

Same as it was in 1994.

Awesome.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

West SAAB Story posted:

Sure.

Same as it was in 1994.

Or for those of us who have read a man page since 1994, we use tar zxpf rather than piping gzip to it.

But whatever.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Motronic posted:

Or for those of us who have read a man page since 1994, we use tar zxpf rather than piping gzip to it.

But whatever.

Eat dicks. Solaris 2.6 5/98 (and FreeBSD 3.5) will return again! Multiplatform compatibility without relying on uname (which NeXTStep didn't have), bitches.

You use the v flag. Admit it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

See his avatar, and reread this, dicklicks.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

West SAAB Story posted:

Eat dicks. Solaris 2.6 5/98 (and FreeBSD 3.5) will return again! Multiplatform compatibility without relying on uname (which NeXTStep didn't have), bitches.

It returned two months ago as Solaris 11.2. I'm pretty sure the only difference between then and now is zfs and the version number.

West SAAB Story posted:

With reckless abandon because it makes it look like I'm doing something while I'm sitting around waiting for poo poo to happen.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

West SAAB Story posted:

When can I have OS/2 back and OpenVMS! :argh:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

CommieGIR posted:

When can I have OS/2 back and OpenVMS! :argh:

When you raid my apartment circa 2001. I even had OpenVMS running on a 3100. I compiled a NetBSD kernel on the other one (in about a week).

cursedshitbox posted:

See his avatar, and reread this, dicklicks.

Even in Offermans' voice, he can sometimes be a bit oversmug. Won't work depending on $PATH. <:smuggo:>

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

CommieGIR posted:

loving Windows Server 2012. Theres a bug that causes LanManServer service to hard lock, killing all SMB connections which requires a hard restart of the server as it won't shutdown until LanManServer Service responds....and it won't respond.

I hope they fixed it in 2012 R2, because its that or we move our Domain File Server onto a Linux box like I wanted to do originally.

I am a windows server guy (not deliberately it just happened!) and server 2012 standard is a bag of poo poo compared to 2012 R2. I bet it is fixed in R2.

Any server 2012 standard servers should be reinstalled immediately (and you should remind yourself that early adopters of any new Microsoft OS never ever win..)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Why on earth do you want Windows NT 3.1?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Cat Terrist posted:

..reliable and useful filesystem?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cat Terrist posted:

...what? Its a DEC/HP system.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tomarse posted:

I am a windows server guy (not deliberately it just happened!) and server 2012 standard is a bag of poo poo compared to 2012 R2. I bet it is fixed in R2.

Any server 2012 standard servers should be reinstalled immediately (and you should remind yourself that early adopters of any new Microsoft OS never ever win..)

Its still a current bug in 2012 R2

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

CommieGIR posted:

...what? Its a DEC/HP system.

I owned 3 Multias.

One lasted more than a month at ambient temperatures over 70f.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Can one of you nerds point me towards the car chat thread?

(Kidding)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

CommieGIR posted:

Its still a current bug in 2012 R2

I think that means it is now classified as a feature..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Heads up: Civilization beyond earth and saints row the fourth are both have free weekends on steam.

• Locked thread