Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I feel bad for the paralegal, because she had to be around attorneys all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Elotana posted:

Boutique firms are fun!

- Nobody is allowed to take individual days off any more. Only weeks at a time. This probably happened because my boss got tired of a specific employee (not me) constantly taking days off, probably (since she is now leaving) to interview for better jobs.

- Nobody is allowed to delete or move things on the file server. Someone deleted a bunch of folders a while ago and nobody noticed until more than a month later, past our rolling backups. If you want to delete or move any files, you get duplicate signatures from the office manager and a supervising partner who do it for you.

- All claim amendments to every response, no matter how minor, now have to be reviewed by the head partner (as well as the supervising partner), whose amendments are made by dictation & transcription, and must be incorporated before the submissions will be approved.

The duke boy thanks you every day.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Abugadu posted:

He believed himself to be in the possession of "Federal Weightlifing Secrets", that other people were desperately trying to squeeze from him.

What agency would even be in charge of something like that? Health and Human Services? Hold on, I've got to fill out a FOIA request.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I feel bad for the paralegal, because she had to be around attorneys all day.

She's voluntarily going to law school and deserves nothing but scorn and hatred.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

blarzgh posted:

The worst kind of laws are the ones named after someone.

"Bill"

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Have any of you used a home equity loan or homeowners line of credit versus student loans? I have above average credit, and from what I can tell, my interest rate would be about half of what it would be compared to student loans, and create a payment of $283 versus $742 on $75K borrowed over 15 years.

EDIT: I have no mortgage payment, car payment, or other credit debt, so it seems pretty manageable. My monthly expenses are basically food, gas, utilities, insurance, and I sock away about $400 a month away for property/school taxes.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
Holy poo poo do not pay for law school with home equity.

Edit: If you haven't gone yet. As for using it to refi, I dunno man, do whatever.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Toona the Cat posted:

Have any of you used a home equity loan or homeowners line of credit versus student loans? I have above average credit, and from what I can tell, my interest rate would be about half of what it would be compared to student loans, and create a payment of $283 versus $742 on $75K borrowed over 15 years.

EDIT: I have no mortgage payment, car payment, or other credit debt, so it seems pretty manageable. My monthly expenses are basically food, gas, utilities, insurance, and I sock away about $400 a month away for property/school taxes.

The only problem is that you wouldn't qualify for IBR or forgiveness with a home equity loan.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

But you can declare bankruptcy and lose the house and the debt!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

But you can declare bankruptcy and lose the house and the debt!

yaaayy!!!...... ..

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

If I owned a house and my only serious expenses were socking $400/mo for property taxes, the last thing I would do is go to law school.

Law school is for when you realize you're never going to buy a house off the earnings from your BA, not for after you buy a house off the earnings from your BS or BBA.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I had a post a few pages back about refinancing student loans. My conclusion was that if they're government student loans it's a bad idea to refi them because you lose the safety net that IBR/PAYE/etc provide you and over the lifetime of the loan don't lose all that much in the extra interest payments. You're basically paying extra interest for the insurance of knowing that, if you lose your job or take a big pay cut or get injured, etc., your loan payments go down to zero and you can still survive. Plus you have the 10 yr public interest option.

If you're really worried about the extra long-term interest you'll be paying at the higher student loan rates, you're better off just dumping more money in every month and paying the loan off more quickly.

How much are you thinking of refinancing? (Beware of upfront fees that eat everything you'd otherwise save in interest)

EDIT: Toona, are you thinking of paying off extant loans via a HELOC or refi? Or are you thinking of going to school and trying to figure out how to pay for it?

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

CaptainScraps posted:

The only problem is that you wouldn't qualify for IBR or forgiveness with a home equity loan.

Not to mention whatever loan repayment assistance program your school might have, I imagine.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

She's voluntarily going to law school and deserves nothing but scorn and hatred.

No she's not, she's going to John Marshall.

Folly
May 26, 2010

Elotana posted:

- Nobody is allowed to delete or move things on the file server. Someone deleted a bunch of folders a while ago and nobody noticed until more than a month later, past our rolling backups. If you want to delete or move any files, you get duplicate signatures from the office manager and a supervising partner who do it for you.

Gah! Let me introduce your partners to the concept of file access permissions. My IT service rates are reasonable, but still a lot more than my legal rates - which are apparently worth precisely $0 per hour.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Kalman posted:

No she's not, she's going to John Marshall.

Hey John Marshall was one of our greatest presidents

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Careful, that Equality Power Friend is going to come back and poo poo all over us for being flippant about school rankings.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Rankings, how quaint.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

The Warszawa posted:

Rankings, how quaint.

When you're ranked #1, nothing else matters?

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

When you're ranked #1, nothing else matters?

Yale has switched to its own trinary ranking system: High Yale, Yale, and Fail.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

MoFauxHawk posted:

Yale has switched to its own trinary ranking system: High Yale, Yale, and Fail.

We call it Yale Plus now after people shortened HY to "hile"

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

The Warszawa posted:

We call it Yale Plus now after people shortened HY to "hile"

We had a similar problem at Northwestern when our school tried separating our grades into "C" and "Not-C."

Also, here's a cute comic I just saw on Reddit:

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

The Warszawa posted:

Rankings, how quaint.

Hmmmmm

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Arcturas posted:

I had a post a few pages back about refinancing student loans. My conclusion was that if they're government student loans it's a bad idea to refi them because you lose the safety net that IBR/PAYE/etc provide you and over the lifetime of the loan don't lose all that much in the extra interest payments. You're basically paying extra interest for the insurance of knowing that, if you lose your job or take a big pay cut or get injured, etc., your loan payments go down to zero and you can still survive. Plus you have the 10 yr public interest option.

If you're really worried about the extra long-term interest you'll be paying at the higher student loan rates, you're better off just dumping more money in every month and paying the loan off more quickly.

How much are you thinking of refinancing? (Beware of upfront fees that eat everything you'd otherwise save in interest)

EDIT: Toona, are you thinking of paying off extant loans via a HELOC or refi? Or are you thinking of going to school and trying to figure out how to pay for it?

The latter. My house is paid off, which is why I figured that I can use that instead of loans. Honestly, I could make minimum wage and my wife's income can pay the bills and taxes.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
Just get a minimum wage job then.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Toona the Cat posted:

The latter. My house is paid off, which is why I figured that I can use that instead of loans. Honestly, I could make minimum wage and my wife's income can pay the bills and taxes.

At UCDavis, you can get a masters in beer making. Not only is that more awesome, cheaper, but you'll actually get job and not hate life.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

nm posted:

At UCDavis, you can get a masters in beer making. Not only is that more awesome, cheaper, but you'll actually get job and not hate life.

Not when his wife divorces him for being that rear end in a top hat who's gotten really into making beer.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

MoFauxHawk posted:

Not when his wife divorces him for being that rear end in a top hat who's gotten really into making beer.

It is different when you get paid for it. Those guys don't make it at home (also most of them work for bud.)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Toona the Cat posted:

If you want to just spend money frivolously there's an infinite amount of better choices to make.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

If you want to just spend money frivolously there's an infinite amount of better choices to make.

For the price of law school, you can get a lightly used ferrari. That would be way better.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What's the highest amount of law school student debt anyone's aware of (at graduation, so no interest piling up while on IBR). I have a few coworkers who got out at 200k+ but there's got to be some breaking 300k, and if you include undergrad you can probably push it to 400. Could buy a pretty sweet ride for that. I absolutely believe that there's students in NYC/Chicago/wherever else that paid 50k sticker + another 50k a year in living expenses - 3k a month apartment, dining out constantly, etc.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Why on earth would anyone go into debt that much willingly? I mean, I'm looking at 50-70k total and thinking that's a lot.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Toona the Cat posted:

Why on earth would anyone go into debt that much willingly? I mean, I'm looking at 50-70k total and thinking that's a lot.

You're also looking at giving up your paid for house to enter a dying profession.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Folly posted:

Gah! Let me introduce your partners to the concept of file access permissions. My IT service rates are reasonable, but still a lot more than my legal rates - which are apparently worth precisely $0 per hour.
Oh they're familiar with them. That's why only the HR secretary has permission to move or delete files anymore, and has been instructed to do so only upon said duplicate approval.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

You're also looking at giving up your paid for house to enter a dying profession.

Touché.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

nm posted:

It is different when you get paid for it. Those guys don't make it at home (also most of them work for bud.)

As though breweries are clambering up towers to grab recent beer-making masters graduates. Chocolate City Brewing here in DC just closed last month. The market is saturated. Don't get that master's!

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Unless you want to be a divorce attorney. We'll be around forever.

"Don't go, no jobs, die alone. Unless you're a family law attorney. Then you're going to die alone and early."

This gives me an idea.

Roger your privileges are reinstated if you add in the family law attorney exception listed above.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

The Warszawa posted:

Rankings, how quaint.

Oh, did you go to Yale Warszawa? I'd forgotten because you went two whole posts without mentioning it

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

The Warszawa posted:

We call it Yale Plus now
Oh, there it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

I think SV's a little jealous. :3: