Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Camrath posted:

Thank you very much, but no. I have Views on things like online begging, have spoken out about it before, and I'd sooner be broke than a hypocrite. But the offer is very kind indeed.

I've made some calls, looks like the next couple of weeks will be tighter than a gnat's arse, but in the short term at least things will be survivable.

If you're working as a self-employed personal trainer, can't you just claim tax credits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Disinterested posted:

It's usually more effort to gently caress with you than to just put you on your payment plan from their perspective.

Well that was my assumption too, makes sense, it's still nice though.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Oh no, David Starkey's on Question Time tonight. Why do they keep putting him on TV to talk about anything except Tudor history?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Stottie Kyek posted:

Oh no, David Starkey's on Question Time tonight. Why do they keep putting him on TV to talk about anything except Tudor history?

He's not even the leading expert on that, to be honest. He's just a bit of a sensationalist bell-end.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

OwlFancier posted:

One nice thing that's happened since the recession is that a lot of banks and building societies seem a lot more up front and willing to help you out if you're struggling fianancially. I dunno if they've always been happy to do that or whether it's a new thing but certainly it seems more publicised. Talking to your bank or creditors is a good idea if you're up poo poo creek because they do generally seem keen to not have you go bankrupt.

They'd rather you were paying a tenner a month than nothing, which ultimately means they sell your debt off for pennies to a collection company.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

OwlFancier posted:

One nice thing that's happened since the recession is that a lot of banks and building societies seem a lot more up front and willing to help you out if you're struggling fianancially. I dunno if they've always been happy to do that or whether it's a new thing but certainly it seems more publicised. Talking to your bank or creditors is a good idea if you're up poo poo creek because they do generally seem keen to not have you go bankrupt.

I think i remember some announcement about the government forcing banks to properly explore alternatives to default in return for accessing government guarantees.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
lol the Green Party might be the 3rd biggest in the UK as their membership is apparently 48,61, which puts them ahead of the UKIP and the Lib Dems.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Disinterested posted:

He's not even the leading expert on that, to be honest. He's just a bit of a sensationalist bell-end.

Yeah, it's a total mystery why he keeps getting screen time.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah, this bears emphasis. They could press you harder, but if you default or go bankrupt or whatever, they'll be unlikely to see very much back. If they work with you they might get back less than they hoped, but it's much better than nothing, and has the side effect of good publicity.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Mister Adequate posted:

Yeah, this bears emphasis. They could press you harder, but if you default or go bankrupt or whatever, they'll be unlikely to see very much back. If they work with you they might get back less than they hoped, but it's much better than nothing, and has the side effect of good publicity.

This isn't really true for secured debts like mortgages, but repossessing and then auctioning off properties is still usually a load more hassle than giving the borrower a bit of time to get their affairs in order.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

LemonDrizzle posted:

This isn't really true for secured debts like mortgages, but repossessing and then auctioning off properties is still usually a load more hassle than giving the borrower a bit of time to get their affairs in order.

It also costs money, so the cost-benefit is normally skewed in favour of eating your money at a slightly depressed rate for a while.

If you have a house not in some weird trust or sold to some unwitting bona fide purchaser, unless the bottom has fallen out of the market the bank can usually get its money back okay. So that's never a major worry.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Wife's got her PIP face-to-face tomorrow. Hopefully we've done all the prep for it but I'm still worried.

We can probably cope without it but it's a tight squeeze.

StateOfException
Jul 7, 2013
Question Time. Oh Christ.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

lol the Green Party might be the 3rd biggest in the UK as their membership is apparently 48,61, which puts them ahead of the UKIP and the Lib Dems.

4th actually as the SNP have taken the 3rd spot.

Do you think it's possible for either of the two main parties to somehow get thrown over in membership somehow by another party?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

StateOfException posted:

Question Time. Oh Christ.

It's been years since I've been able to take it to be honest.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

LemonDrizzle posted:

Oh poo poo, I wasn't even thinking about that, I had my mind on lesser debts. I can't read. Though the advice stands, always talk to people about it, and do so earlier rather than later.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Extreme0 posted:

4th actually as the SNP have taken the 3rd spot.

Do you think it's possible for either of the two main parties to somehow get thrown over in membership somehow by another party?

Over time, and especially if a credible alternative comes up, I can see it happening to Labour. They're already losing the unions, an actual viable social democratic alternative would be a genuine worry to them (expect to see every last stop pulled out against the Greens if the gain any more traction in the next few cycles). After all, look at what happened in Scotland...

It's less likely to happen to the Tories because of their more decentralised structure, and they're much less dependent on individual memberships and contributions.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also conservative parties in general tend to appeal to the traditionalists and the old guard, they're sort of built around regressive ideas that don't much change, and so goes their voter base.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Seeing Douglas Alexander spit out some weak "truth is in the middle" bullshit on encryption was the most depressing part of Question Time. Effectively signals that such a ban would pass through with Labour's help.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Am I a terrible person for kind of liking David Starkey sometimes? His views on Islam are pretty lovely (he's very teleological for a modern historian and that confuses me - Islam is 'due' a reformation? What? That kind of weird regimented idea of history as a series of standardised advances towards 'progress' has been discredited for decades) and I was killing myself laugh-cringing when he started saying 'some thirteen year olds are predatory succubi', but I did kind of appreciate that he was willing to make a controversial point and stick to his guns rather than tip-toeing around the issue like bland incarnate Douglas Alexander. I also often got the impression he was approaching the whole thing very much as an academic, and was putting forward half-formed ideas just to see how they flew. Certainly with the question about a 'sixteen year old grooming a forty year old', I appreciated the fact that he seemed to really think about it rather than trip over himself to condemn the older party like all the politicians. He went about it pretty badly and could have come across better, but discussion is good there because it was actually a very interesting question. He was certainly spot on about the way we idealise childhood today, and how it's pointless to just draw an arbitrary line on a complex and individual transitional period (not helpful legally, but again I think that just shows him thinking like an academic).

Best part of the whole show was 'have you read Freud?' though. Christ, Starkey, Freud's been discredited for probably half a century, go back to the 1800s. He honestly just seems like he's from another world.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

his finest hour was clearly when he was on Newsnight during the riots and he said that 'the whites have become black'

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Disinterested posted:

I'm still not entirely sure why he was required in a documentary about Hampton Court Palace, which he co-presented with Lucy Worsley, the Chief Curator of Hampton Court Palace. It certainly wasn't for his everyman charisma. Maybe he's worked out a contract where he has to be present for every Tudor documentary the BBC makes?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Kegluneq posted:

I'm still not entirely sure why he was required in a documentary about Hampton Court Palace, which he co-presented with Lucy Worsley, the Chief Curator of Hampton Court Palace. It certainly wasn't for his everyman charisma. Maybe he's worked out a contract where he has to be present for every Tudor documentary the BBC makes?

Perceptions of expertise. The more you appear in expert roles, the more that you are referred to as an expert, the 'fact' that you are an expert becomes taken for granted. And when you're making a documentary, who do you get? Why, the expert, of course!

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Fourth biggest, surely, after the SNP?

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

ThomasPaine posted:

Certainly with the question about a 'sixteen year old grooming a forty year old', I appreciated the fact that he seemed to really think about it rather than trip over himself to condemn the older party like all the politicians. He went about it pretty badly and could have come across better, but discussion is good there because it was actually a very interesting question. He was certainly spot on about the way we idealise childhood today, and how it's pointless to just draw an arbitrary line on a complex and individual transitional period (not helpful legally, but again I think that just shows him thinking like an academic).

It was an interesting case and there's always an interest group to condemn any decision made by the courts these days. In this case, I believe the girls' friends testified that she had set out to stalk and seduce him and the judge's summing up remarks seemed relatively well thought out.

Ultimately the guy had consensual sex with an adult. He abused his position of trust however and as a result has been nationally shamed, banned from his career for the rest of his life and has a two year suspended sentence hanging over his head. That seems a punishment that's "severe enough" and I'm not sure why it would serve the interests of justice to send him to prison at great cost to the taxpayer. Some Guardian commentator banging the 'victim blaming' drum was equating it to underage child rape and omitting certain testimony from the trial which I thought was very dubious journalism.

Edit: Angry internet goons get to fantasise about a "cyber-attack" on the bankers. How does this even work? Do they get a volunteer bank and see what damage the military can do to their systems from outside?

Prince John fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jan 16, 2015

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Prince John posted:

Ultimately the guy had consensual sex with an adult. He abused his position of trust however and as a result has been nationally shamed, banned from his career for the rest of his life and has a two year suspended sentence hanging over his head.

Yep. The Sexual Offences Act specifically sets out abuse of trust offences for over 16 that are intended to be less severe (because you're dealing with a person competent to make decisions about themselves), but still to punish people who:

(a) Are in a position to groom people
(b) Are in a position to try to make the victim lie by virtue of their relative authority and social status
(c) Should not be behaving in that manner because of their position of responsibility

Teachers don't get done for knocking off with their students when they wait until they've finished school. That happens weirdly often.

Relevant provision:

Sexual Offences Act 2003 posted:

Abuse of position of trust: sexual activity with a child

[F1(1)A person aged 18 or over (A) commits an offence if—
(a)he intentionally touches another person (B),
(b)the touching is sexual,
(c)A is in a position of trust in relation to B,
(d)where subsection (2) applies, A knows or could reasonably be expected to know of the circumstances by virtue of which he is in a position of trust in relation to B, and
(e)either—
(i)B is under 18 and A does not reasonably believe that B is 18 or over, or
(ii)B is under 13.

(Note: if 'B is under 13' applies they would also be guilty of other offences).

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
lol if you think a 16 year old is an adult. That guy is a prick and took advantage of a child.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

stickyfngrdboy posted:

lol if you think a 16 year old is an adult. That guy is a prick and took advantage of a child.

16 is the age of consent for sexual activity in the UK. In that sense I am merely using the word adult in a legal context. The law I quoted essentially treats a person who would otherwise be regarded as legally competent to participate in sexual activity as to some degree child if their partner is in a position of responsibility over them.

So the question isn't really 'is this person a prick' it's 'how much of a prick is he?'. The law doesn't intend to treat him like someone who rapes four year olds, I'm not sure we should either. There are levels of severity, he is by no means at the extreme end of sexual criminality.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

What do you actually get out of being a member of a political party? The fees for all the main parties are pretty pricey

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Disinterested posted:

16 is the age of consent for sexual activity in the UK. In that sense I am merely using the word adult in a legal context. The law I quoted essentially treats a person who would otherwise be regarded as legally competent to participate in sexual activity as to some degree child if their partner is in a position of responsibility over them.

So the question isn't really 'is this person a prick' it's 'how much of a prick is he'. The law doesn't intend to treat him like someone who rapes four year olds, I'm not sure we should either.

I know what the legal consensual age is thanks, but she's still a child at 16.

He's about as big a prick as it's possible to be. He was a teacher who had an apparently infatuated student. Instead of dealing with it like a supposedly responsible adult he got laid, while his wife miscarried. As a man who has been unfaithful to many partners he makes me look like an angel.

Nobody is saying what he did is on a par with raping toddlers, and I don't really have an opinion on the sentence he received. Groomed by a child, though? Yeah.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Pesmerga posted:

Perceptions of expertise. The more you appear in expert roles, the more that you are referred to as an expert, the 'fact' that you are an expert becomes taken for granted. And when you're making a documentary, who do you get? Why, the expert, of course!

Noted expert on Islam, David Starkey.

Speaking of which: Who said it? David Starkey or Katie Hopkins?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Prince John posted:

How does this even work? Do they get a volunteer bank and see what damage the military can do to their systems from outside?
Yup, it's called penetration testing.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Answers Me posted:

What do you actually get out of being a member of a political party? The fees for all the main parties are pretty pricey
You generally gain the right to vote on the policy/leadership of the party you are a member of.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Also, local associations have some input in to candidate selection - decreasingly, though, mostly.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

ThomasPaine posted:

Am I a terrible person for kind of liking David Starkey sometimes? His views on Islam are pretty lovely (he's very teleological for a modern historian and that confuses me - Islam is 'due' a reformation? What? That kind of weird regimented idea of history as a series of standardised advances towards 'progress' has been discredited for decades) and I was killing myself laugh-cringing when he started saying 'some thirteen year olds are predatory succubi', but I did kind of appreciate that he was willing to make a controversial point and stick to his guns rather than tip-toeing around the issue like bland incarnate Douglas Alexander. I also often got the impression he was approaching the whole thing very much as an academic, and was putting forward half-formed ideas just to see how they flew. Certainly with the question about a 'sixteen year old grooming a forty year old', I appreciated the fact that he seemed to really think about it rather than trip over himself to condemn the older party like all the politicians. He went about it pretty badly and could have come across better, but discussion is good there because it was actually a very interesting question. He was certainly spot on about the way we idealise childhood today, and how it's pointless to just draw an arbitrary line on a complex and individual transitional period (not helpful legally, but again I think that just shows him thinking like an academic).

Best part of the whole show was 'have you read Freud?' though. Christ, Starkey, Freud's been discredited for probably half a century, go back to the 1800s. He honestly just seems like he's from another world.

He's apparently too stupid to realise the regional basis of fundamentalist Islam. IE the "bad" Islam that needs a "reformation". Historically speaking, it's not the religion but living in a horrible desert that makes people lunatics. The middle east has never been a peaceful place. Maybe in the future there will be charts showing that the rise of air conditioning and ice tea corresponds to a reduction in exploding. Like the rise of unleaded petrol results in a reduction in crime in the 80's. Hot weather? Not even once.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Zephro posted:

Despite computers now being integral to nearly every business out there, every time you see or hear about pen testing it's a story about how someone has told the 'IT man' on the phone their passwords and mothers maiden name and the company has failed. Or picked up USB sticks.

Facebook must be a godsend to them as well.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Check out the videos from DefCon, there are usually some great pen testing stories. I liked the one about a guy who was digging through the bins behind a company after hours, looking for stuff he could use to break into the network (email address lists, old hard drives or CDs, that sort of thing). He was stopped by the police, but when he showed them a letter from the company saying he was an IT consultant doing security testing they just said "Oh, alright then, carry on" and went away, leaving him to carry on stealing the company's headed stationary.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Answers Me posted:

depends on the party; the main parties increasingly don't really need strong memberships since policy and candidates are decided centrally; others (the Greens come to mind) have much more democratic candidate selections, and policy changes are decided by the broad membership rather than the leadership.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Zephro posted:

Ah, that sounds a bit more tame than what I was expecting from some war games. I thought they might try some real world attacks to test mitigation strategies rather than some guy running a preconceived suite of tests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Prince John posted:

Ah, that sounds a bit more tame than what I was expecting from some war games. I thought they might try some real world attacks to test mitigation strategies rather than some guy running a preconceived suite of tests.

Well with good penetration testing you do run genuine attacks, you just don't actually do anything once you succeed. It's essentially the information security equivalent of pulling your punches, you show that you can do it, but don't actually have to follow through with it.

• Locked thread