Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

yeah it's annoying because I used to listen to Harmontown at work on Tuesdays and then Best Show at work on Wednesdays, now Harmontown will carry forward to Thursday probably but a lot of stuff comes out Thursday so I'm gonna have a podcast backlog again

also my diamond shoes are too tight a bloo bloo bloo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
"The podcast will always be free!"

*free podcast uploaded a week after the pay version*

It begins.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Irish Joe posted:

"The podcast will always be free!"

*free podcast uploaded a week after the pay version*

It begins.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Just wait a week, and then you're all back on your normal podcast schedules.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I agree, the issue is that the stream is up three days prior to the podcast being released

it creates a really dumb discrepancy which eliminates the ability to actually discuss the episodes since there's such a long time period in between the paid and free versions of the podcast

it's just frustrating really; establishing a trend of always having the podcast up a day after it's recorded makes the change in that policy rather irritating

it just seems like an illogical fracturing of the listener base

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I have a feeling this structure isn't gonna last. Weird choice to fracture the audience like this when they bank on the whole togetherness aspect. Guess now you only go to the moon if you pay

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
So I'm on the right page: is the live stream -as it's happening- behind a paywall or is it just for the video version of the podcast that also comes out these 3 days later?
The show is at like 4am my time so I never bother to watch so I don't know. Has any of the paid content even started happening g at all?

E: I know having to wait 3 days is a bit of a bummer (that I hope they fix) I don't want either, but it seems on top of that people are getting the idea the stream is the paid content? Is that happening or is this a mountain out of a mole hill?

Zsinjeh fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 15, 2015

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The video stream is paid for

It's a livestream that then gets put up, the next day, as a regular download/watch in browser video on harmontown

paying for premium to harmontown gets you access to both of those things, and also "subscriber videos" (whatever that will end up being) and dan's blog videos

the podcast, itself, has now moved its release date to wednesday at noon

this three-day delay seems solely to push premium subscriptions, which at this current date seems really lackluster; 2 hours of content a week for 45 bucks a year is just not worth it when I'm paying 50 bucks a year to giant bomb for a backlog of premium content that's literally thousands of hours long, in addition to the around five or so hours a week of new stuff that's constantly being added to the site

it's lovely because this is the worst way to do that poo poo; i'd be fine with premium getting the livestream but locking away the podcast for three days just fractures the listener base to push a product I'm not really sure i ever wanted in the first place- harmontown works a LOT better as a podcast over video, the few times I've tried watching the live feeds -that's far too expensive and barebones to make it feel like I'm tipping feral for their hours of hard work

IT's just this lovely middleground that pleases nobody

It also just sells out your base; giant bomb recognized the same thing when it switched over to premium memberships and didn't change the bombcast (still their biggest draw) at all; it still comes out on tuesdays, premium members DON'T get it early or get any "bonus" cut podcast material, so if all you care about is the podcast and that is it the fact that there's premium memberships on GB doesn't affect your listening experience at all one whit

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 15, 2015

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Zsinjeh posted:

So I'm on the right page: is the live stream -as it's happening- behind a paywall or is it just for the video version of the podcast that also comes out these 3 days later?
The show is at like 4am my time so I never bother to watch so I don't know. Has any of the paid content even started happening g at all?

E: I know having to wait 3 days is a bit of a bummer (that I hope they fix) I don't want either, but it seems on top of that people are getting the idea the stream is the paid content? Is that happening or is this a mountain out of a mole hill?

As far as I know the livestream will be pay walled as well as Dan's daily video blog!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

okay that music submission thing is genuinely kind of gross

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Holy poo poo, laughing guy needs to loving die.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Toxxupation posted:

i'd be fine with premium getting the livestream but locking away the podcast for three days just fractures the listener base to push a product I'm not really sure i ever wanted in the first place- harmontown works a LOT better as a podcast over video

You know you can just listen while the video plays, right?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I can't speak for everyone but I live in a city where most of my commute is underground, and I have an old rear end iPod, so my podcasts have to be audio files that are downloaded to my computer. This really is not a big deal for me, just a minor annoyance anyway. I don't know if you guys are subscribers to the paid thing or not but I'm just gonna do what I've always done which is post about the episode whenever I get around to listening to it

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
You guys were right. That laugh was horrible.

Also, this Shadowrun game sounds horrible. I didn't make it to the end of the episode because talk of the game was so boring.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Brekelefuw posted:

You guys were right. That laugh was horrible.

Also, this Shadowrun game sounds horrible. I didn't make it to the end of the episode because talk of the game was so boring.
...you think DnD would sound less boring being described to you?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Brocktoon posted:

Holy poo poo, laughing guy needs to loving die.

Has he been present in previous eps, because I only noticed him on this ep and HOLY poo poo please ban him forever from tapings.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Brekelefuw posted:

Shadowrun way more tonally fits the way dan harmon and friends interact with DnD, since the setting is inherently kind of really stupid and more reflective of the tastes jeff/dan/erin et al have, ie the cyberpunk-y "CORPORATIONS CONTROL EVERYTHING" and anti-government message

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

qbert posted:

Has he been present in previous eps, because I only noticed him on this ep and HOLY poo poo please ban him forever from tapings.

Oh my god I am only 11 minutes in and his obnoxious laugh has drowned out the laughs for every joke. Meanwhile Selfie Stick girl keeps the old tradition of most of the audience being completely inaudible, so he's obviously trying very hard to be THAT guy.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Harmontown Subscribers: Your :20bux: have bought you a grand total of TWO shows this month. Hope you're happy.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Oh my god I am only 11 minutes in and his obnoxious laugh has drowned out the laughs for every joke. Meanwhile Selfie Stick girl keeps the old tradition of most of the audience being completely inaudible, so he's obviously trying very hard to be THAT guy.

There were two loud laughers in the audience and I would have strangled both of them if I had been there that night. Nothing is that funny, so there's no excuse for that kind of raucous laughter after every sentence (I will, however, offer clemency to the second guy if he was only laughing that loud to mock the first guy).

braveplan
May 1, 2013

Time to pool our money and get an account.

Also I could not listen to this episode because of that obnoxious, loud laughing.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I knew Jeff's Parisian Adventure would end with group sex.

Also I'm super on board with Erin playing a character that's actually good at walking up to dragons and convincing them she's their friend. Dan revisiting a badass fighter he created as a teenager sounds fun too.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 16, 2015

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
Laughing guy has been in the audience for months. Like a lot of months. I think he's just getting picked up by the mic more, recently.

I went to high-school with a guy who laughed singularly and loudly like "HA!" every single time. The first time it was startling, but then after that I can say with confidence that I didn't assume he was laughing that way to be high-school-famous.

Is Irish Joe just spreading his influence with his fervent hatred of ridiculous things?

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
If that's how that guy laughs for real, I feel for his family and friends

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 16, 2015

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Giggs posted:

Laughing guy has been in the audience for months. Like a lot of months. I think he's just getting picked up by the mic more, recently.

I have heard him before, but he's never been so high in the mix, so to speak, until recently.

He reminds me of that creep that Chris Hardwick hired for the Nerdist. They have similar weird invasive laughs and both seem to break it out at strange moments.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Y'all are crazy they aren't accepting money now because Harmon(TM). You can watch the previous episode if you feel like go do it right now.

EDIT: At least as far as I can tell. I'm looking at how to do it but whatever. Also the current features are open to all who look for it atm.

EDIT2: Oh poo poo as I refresh now Dan's Blog is finally paywalled. I assume going forward video episodes will be as well.

Cerepol fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 16, 2015

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Oh you guys weren't kidding, this laughing guy is kind of a deal breaker. I'm about to tap out on this ep

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I'm confused, are you able to watch video podcasts without being a subscriber? On the site there are video episodes tagged as "Free Videos" but when I click on those posts, it takes me to an empty page.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbP1NT4kiUeVHFZiyLRSqTQ

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

for some reason the fact that dan harmon has a beef with the pacman cartoon in the year 2015 fills me with peace like the universe still makes sense.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

okay so the laughing guy you were all referring to is not who I was referring to - now there are TWO annoying laughers. I'm just catching up on last week's episode now and there's a high-pitched giggling dude who always irritates me, but this monotone HAW HAW HAW HAW guy is atroooocious and I wound up skipping most of the episode as a result. I'm fighting through the Shadowrun stuff just so that I'm not lost later.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I haven't looked at the reddit, are they complaining as much about laughing guy over there? If that's the case he might actually respond to that issue, although I'm sure he'll side with the person actually in the room. I mean there's not really a way to stop it unless they tell him to either shut up or not come. They'd be hard pressed to prove he's doing it to be heard on the podcast.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

I haven't looked at the reddit, are they complaining as much about laughing guy over there? If that's the case he might actually respond to that issue, although I'm sure he'll side with the person actually in the room. I mean there's not really a way to stop it unless they tell him to either shut up or not come. They'd be hard pressed to prove he's doing it to be heard on the podcast.

They could mic it differently or he could sit somewhere else. Not like that Goldberg guy though, he's intractible

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Golden Bee posted:

They could mic it differently or he could sit somewhere else. Not like that Goldberg guy though, he's intractible

The first couple times heard The Laugh I though it was you trying out some new shtick. I dropped the idea because I figured that they wouldn't let you get away with that for so long without calling you out on it.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Weembles posted:

The first couple times heard The Laugh I though it was you trying out some new shtick. I dropped the idea because I figured that they wouldn't let you get away with that for so long without calling you out on it.

Goldberg isn't that obnoxious. Besides, if he wanted to get attention, he could do it without laughing obnoxiously at every joke, whether it was funny or not.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Made it seventeen minutes in and had to skip this episode because of that guy's laugh.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
HUH HUH HUH huhuhuhuhuhuhuhuh

FOR A loving HOUR

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
it wasn't that bad

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I guess you also have a retard laugh

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Can't tell if it's just goons complaining about a thing that we should play past, or if its that bad anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I'm not using hyperbole when I say that I was listening to the episode while cooking dinner, and my wife came in from two rooms away just to ask "What the gently caress is up with that laugh?"