Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The prisoner selling/death/harvesting penalties are weird because despite having a big morale penalty, big stack limit and the longest durations, there's no stackmodifier like other similar events to reduce the blow. I assume it's an oversight as it's just bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Since I enjoy the butcher house style prison, I modded out the penalties, as well as the negative stuff for eating humans. I had a freezer with 20-30 bodies in it, for emergencies. Found out they take less room if you butcher them, since you usually get a few meat pieces under a full stack. So you save one freezer spot for every 15-35 bodies. And you can sell the leather.

Just realized, I need a mod that make corpses tradeable with trade ships. And have them in stock, especially the bulk trader. "120 corpses? That will be 600 silver please. Or these stacks of human leather."

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Does the psychopath trait let you ignore things like selling people into slavery and harvesting organs, or does it just protect from morale hits when people die in combat?

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008
I´ve been thinking about using my geothermal gen as a trap. Since the temp is around 100-150 C i should be able to use that heat to make invaders regret their decisions. Anyone tried something similar? Started building it my last colony but never got to use it because 5 of my 6 colonists got bedridden and the last one, a dude who got braindamage from a firefight, just couldnt handle the pressure of feeding and taking care of his friends.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Would be fairly easy to build an entrance hall alongside the geothermal generator room with a cooler connecting them (cold side being the geothermal room), keep the power off until invaders are in the entrance hall and then flip the switch and transfer all the heat from the generator to the hall. Though if they bust down doors to get in and in so doing connect it to the outside... it won't do anything.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

BRB pooping posted:

I´ve been thinking about using my geothermal gen as a trap. Since the temp is around 100-150 C i should be able to use that heat to make invaders regret their decisions. Anyone tried something similar? Started building it my last colony but never got to use it because 5 of my 6 colonists got bedridden and the last one, a dude who got braindamage from a firefight, just couldnt handle the pressure of feeding and taking care of his friends.

Here's a steam trap :sigh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VibjtMVwbKI

vs an incinerator :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY14qeWPCZ4

marumaru
May 20, 2013

That's awesome, but it's so much work :(

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Inacio posted:

That's awesome, but it's so much work :(

Yeah, but to be fair it could probably condensed it in half or by two thirds and not really notice a difference. Walls on fire in confined spaces will kick the temperature up to 400-500C in no time, and you only have to get to 200C to start spontaneous clothes combustion. Even if you do make a smaller version, trapping half of an enemy attack in your incinerator that will still weaken the raid so much your other defences will make short work of it.

That guy in particular was playing on Randy Random with 160% challenge sizes, so I guess he was expecting big parties in the end game and over-engineered the trap. He has videos of how he set up and planned that colony on his channel too, which was kind of cool but also pretty boring except if you're looking for pointers.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I was unaware of spontaneous air temp based ignition until I saw that video.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
I wish there was a way to lock doors open so you wouldn't have to build on diagonals to make trap rooms, and could just shut the doors.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Also, how viable is it to trap people in a room and use like a dozen air conditioners to cool it down to deadly levels? How cold does it need to get for people to be quickly incapacitated?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Can't you just do the same, only with a bunch of reverse coolers? Should be a lot less work.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Agnostalgia posted:

I wish there was a way to lock doors open so you wouldn't have to build on diagonals to make trap rooms, and could just shut the doors.

It's your lucky day mate. It only works on doors that are made after you activate the mod though. The potential problem with that though is that rather than running through your maze to go bash a sweet sweet turret at the end, AI might target your doors first. I don't know if they'll target open doors.

Agnostalgia posted:

Also, how viable is it to trap people in a room and use like a dozen air conditioners to cool it down to deadly levels? How cold does it need to get for people to be quickly incapacitated?

I've seen it and it's effective against centipedes because they're really slow and super loving slow when going through a sandbag filled maze. I don't know the details like how cold has to be though.

Broken Cog posted:

Can't you just do the same, only with a bunch of reverse coolers? Should be a lot less work.

Probably, but I think stylistically starting an actual fire is cooler. I'm also paranoid about the AI will target the coolers and break out, but if you stick them towards the end of the maze the AI should die before they get there.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Someone offsite just suggested this, I'm wondering if/how well it would work.

Have two entrances to your base, the normal lockable way and a long corridor where you dump excess heat from heaters/the base. You get raided, you lock down the regular entrance, enemy AI paths through the other entrance and gets loving cooked without a shot fired.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Pound_Coin posted:

Someone offsite just suggested this, I'm wondering if/how well it would work.

Have two entrances to your base, the normal lockable way and a long corridor where you dump excess heat from heaters/the base. You get raided, you lock down the regular entrance, enemy AI paths through the other entrance and gets loving cooked without a shot fired.

I'm more interested in the flash freeze, keeps the bodies and items harvestable.

At what point does heat based combustion occur on most things?

Jan 13
Eating now takes priority even over emergency work (doctoring, firefighting) if a colonist is starving.
Colonists, when hauling to stockpiles, always haul the max amount they can carry, and drop the extra nearby if the target cell can’t hold it all.
Reworked ship takeoff sequence into a proper whiteout with nice credits.
Player can no longer magically toggle power on any item. Rather, you designate power to be toggled and the colonists go do it.
Temperature now equalizes mainly through walls.

ruh-roh.

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 15, 2015

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Gibbo posted:

I'm more interested in the flash freeze, keeps the bodies and items harvestable.

At what point does heat based combustion occur on most things?

Around 200 C.

quote:

Jan 13
Eating now takes priority even over emergency work (doctoring, firefighting) if a colonist is starving.
Colonists, when hauling to stockpiles, always haul the max amount they can carry, and drop the extra nearby if the target cell can’t hold it all.
Player can no longer magically toggle power on any item. Rather, you designate power to be toggled and the colonists go do it.

ruh-roh.

Oh god I just release that means you have to flick the switches on all your turrets. I wonder how mountain bases will go with heating/cooling now.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Oooh, my first AI ship crash!

...new colony time :5 minutes later :negative:

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Hopefully he adds some power switches like prison architect so you could have colonists flip on defenses or something without going to each turret.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The colonist AI is pretty dull and can be a pain in the rear end. For example, I end up micromanaging my constructors/miners who walk halfway across the map to finish a job don't come back empty-handed with nothing for the stockpiles back at base. Or how force-commanding a colonist to complete a construction just causes them to take one step towards building it, rather than completing it.

Part of the problem is that Rimworld gives you more direct control over colonists than DF does over dwarves, but it does so in a clunky and ungainly way. But it ends up being necessary because the granularity of the settings for orders is low. No assigning specific colonists to specific production stations, or more control over the workflow of a task.

evilentity
Jun 25, 2010

Tommofork posted:

e: this site is insane. Four steam geysers out in the open and close to the start point, a massive mountain to carve into if you're into that, four narrow choke points to wall off and you get like 80% of the map to yourself.

2nd e: there are rhinos! :3:

world size 200x150, seed jxc6
Colony coordinates 16.00 E 9.60 N, map size 275x275

3rd e: I had an urge to make a patchwork image of the entire site, so I did. http://i.imgur.com/qMpEnSX.jpg

What version is this on? On latest its ocean. Maybe im just an idiot :(

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

evilentity posted:

What version is this on? On latest its ocean. Maybe im just an idiot :(

Apparently some mods screw with worldgen. Sorry, I didn't know that. :( If I could remember exactly which mods I had turned on when I generated the world... :suicide:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Gibbo posted:

Jan 13

ruh-roh.

Oh, that's gonna suck. I mean, I can route a power line for the turrets to a switch inside the base, sure, but controlling lights is gonna be a pain in the rear end now. And heat/cold bleeding through walls is gonna gently caress up my freezer/cook station, which shares a wall with the mess hall, and it sounds like it's gonna make all the temperature appliances run a lot harder. Does this negate the usefulness of vents?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

neogeo0823 posted:

Oh, that's gonna suck. I mean, I can route a power line for the turrets to a switch inside the base, sure, but controlling lights is gonna be a pain in the rear end now. And heat/cold bleeding through walls is gonna gently caress up my freezer/cook station, which shares a wall with the mess hall, and it sounds like it's gonna make all the temperature appliances run a lot harder. Does this negate the usefulness of vents?

He better have it set so colonists will turn the lights off when they bloody leave a room. If not they'd be worse than children.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

neogeo0823 posted:

Hoping different material walls allow for different rates of temperature bleeding. Wood should not be as insulative as solid stone, for example.

That said, stone cutting should really be available without research going forward with this change.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 15, 2015

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I'm only seeing steel stuff in my build menu. I've already researched stone cutting. Can I fix this?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wouldn't wood offer better insulation than stone? It has a fairly low thermal conductivity coefficient compared to stone.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

wiegieman posted:

I'm only seeing steel stuff in my build menu. I've already researched stone cutting. Can I fix this?

They won't show up unless you have access to stone blocks. Try building a stone cutter's table from the production tab, cutting some chunks up into blocks, and then building.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

wiegieman posted:

You're right-clicking on the item, right?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Lprsti99 posted:

You're right-clicking on the item, right?

EDIT: Never mind, I see what you mean. Right-click on the wall. I got it now, thanks.

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 16, 2015

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Wouldn't wood offer better insulation than stone? It has a fairly low thermal conductivity coefficient compared to stone.

Compared to stone bricks, yeah. But I mean the actual solid stone walls you get from carving in to a mountain.

The thing about stonecutting I mentioned, is just that I personally find it silly your colonists can smith up swords and sew together parkas now. But yet they don't know how to break down rocks in to smaller rocks until it's researched. :mad:

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
You're making bricks, not rocks. Bricks are hard to make, you go make one with whatever you've got lying around.

Perhaps it should be unlocked from the start for gameplay, but for story (you are shipwrecked, unlikely to have a handy mason around) you having to work out how to make bricks makes sense.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Tony Montana posted:

You're making bricks, not rocks. Bricks are hard to make, you go make one with whatever you've got lying around.

Perhaps it should be unlocked from the start for gameplay, but for story (you are shipwrecked, unlikely to have a handy mason around) you having to work out how to make bricks makes sense.

That argument would be valid if not for

Skaw posted:

your colonists can smith up swords and sew together parkas now.

So yeah, you don't have the tools needed to cut a rudimentary brick, but you can carve through mountains, smith weapons, and work steel out of the gate? MAKES SENSE TO ME

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Game balance doesn't have to make sense. Doing the research allows access to a plentiful, durable, non-flammable building material.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Woo. Finally made a ship and took off. 18 colonists escaped, but none of the original three One got murdered by a cave in, another died of an infection, and the third was killed by one of my own turrets. :v:

Ai ship crash just about undid me though. It landed in a wide open area with no cover anywhere, and a stray mortar round that I was firing at a group of pirates struck it and 4+centipedes and a mess of scythers(?) spilled out. Between malaria ripping through my colony and the psychic drone making it dangerous to send anybody out to fight without mental breaks... looked pretty bleak. Then I ran out of medicine.

Luckily, I remembered that I had pretty much every faction except a pirate group on friendly and had a shitton of silver. Call everyone to send in reinforcements at once did it. (Though hilariously, one of the groups of tribal reinforcements fled before they even got to the AI, cause it made a few alpha beavers I had ignored go insane and kicked their rear end.) They got slaughtered, but whittled them down to two heavily damaged centipedes which I managed to take down with two of my then healthy fighters with charge rifles.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

wiegieman posted:

Game balance doesn't have to make sense. Doing the research allows access to a plentiful, durable, non-flammable building material.

In a game with sperg level wound infection tracking, making the doesn't have to be real argument loses a little bit of its oomph.

Besides, it really is pointless because if you have anyone with over 6 research you can throw down a research table and get stone cutting almost immediately anyhow.

If the path of "things need to be researched" is to be taken, it would need a whole lot more topics to research, and your starting techs determined by the histories of your starting colonists.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Any recommended mods/combinations of mods for the latest alpha? Preferably ones that don't horribly gently caress up balance or are too bug riddled.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Speaking of mods, sometimes I think I've a bit of a problem:

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I've started playing almost exclusively with Randy Random, he's just too much fun.

Last night, fairly early in the game (didn't even have turrets up yet), a solitary joker from some tribe came by, prepared for a bit and decided to attack me. I was ready for him, but right as he made his attack three members of a rivaling tribe figured my colony was a good target. On their way they met the solitary man heading for my base, knocked him out cold easily and kidnapped him. None of them even made it halfway across the map to me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Skaw posted:

Compared to stone bricks, yeah. But I mean the actual solid stone walls you get from carving in to a mountain.

The thing about stonecutting I mentioned, is just that I personally find it silly your colonists can smith up swords and sew together parkas now. But yet they don't know how to break down rocks in to smaller rocks until it's researched. :mad:

In fairness they don't know how to do either of those until you research them.

It's a little like saying that because I can put a computer together I should also be able to start a fire by hand, because the former is much easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Taeke posted:

I've started playing almost exclusively with Randy Random, he's just too much fun.

Last night, fairly early in the game (didn't even have turrets up yet), a solitary joker from some tribe came by, prepared for a bit and decided to attack me. I was ready for him, but right as he made his attack three members of a rivaling tribe figured my colony was a good target. On their way they met the solitary man heading for my base, knocked him out cold easily and kidnapped him. None of them even made it halfway across the map to me.

"That's right colony, we've got your precious friend! Try and stop us from taking him!"

"Err, what?"