Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I can't really blame the guy. Everyone who works in customer service has thoughts like those from time to time. Marketing for any sort of "creative" these days involves blogging/tweeting every thought you have. Combining the two processes was impolitic but everyone makes mistakes. And the gaming/nerd community is largely pretty horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The Moon Monster posted:

I can't really blame the guy. Everyone who works in customer service has thoughts like those from time to time. Marketing for any sort of "creative" these days involves blogging/tweeting every thought you have. Combining the two processes was impolitic but everyone makes mistakes. And the gaming/nerd community is largely pretty horrible.

I mean, none of those are really inaccurate, and until the post devolved into poo poo-slinging and Phil Fish worship, I was kinda on-board, but uh... jesus. :stare:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

I mean, none of those are really inaccurate, and until the post devolved into poo poo-slinging and Phil Fish worship, I was kinda on-board, but uh... jesus. :stare:

Fez was pretty great :v:

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

Hav posted:

Actually, it isn't. That's a conceit supplied by the illusion of access because modern advertising works through interviews and the hype machine, but THAT'S THE POINT OF THE POST.

I thought the point of the post was "I don't want to support users that paid $1 for my game". To which the answer seems to be: don't sell it for $1?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Kyrosiris posted:

Fish did get unnecessary poo poo basically from fad chasers trying to be clever though.

edit: I think I agree that a lot of the points aren't wrong, it's just that reading it feels like watching someone's breakdown.

vv That agrees with my point; he hasn't actually done or said anything notable in years.

mycot fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 15, 2015

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
When's Fez II coming out again?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Suspicious Dish posted:

When's Fez II coming out again?

Last I heard, Phil Fish was planning to sell the rights. Then he deleted or privated his twitter so who the gently caress knows.

Yodzilla posted:

He's not wrong about Yogventures but

drat what a prick.

There's actually something to that 'not good or evil, just lame and boring' thing. At least truly bad games get remembered. And at least the people who make them can learn from them. Mediocre games are a real problem. They're not bad enough to mean anything to anyone, so nobody speaks up about them, and there's not enough incentive to learn from them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BiggerJ posted:

There's actually something to that 'not good or evil, just lame and boring' thing. At least truly bad games get remembered. And at least the people who make them can learn from them. Mediocre games are a real problem. They're not bad enough to mean anything to anyone, so nobody speaks up about them, and there's not enough incentive to learn from them.

This does describe most kickstarter games really well.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

Mimetic posted:

I thought the point of the post was "I don't want to support users that paid $1 for my game". To which the answer seems to be: don't sell it for $1?

Or just don't support the users, and deal with the consequences like an adult.
Really, the answer is always "deal with the consequences of your own choices like an adult, instead of like a child throwing a tantrum."

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The 5v1 slasher film game devs have been sued for copyright infringement, apparently.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Basic Chunnel posted:

The 5v1 slasher film game devs have been sued for copyright infringement, apparently.

Who is suing them? I mean a lot of the stuff in there was pretty on the nose homage, but I don't think they actually went straight out and named copyrighted characters.

Or is this just one of those things where a big studio files a lawsuit they know they probably won't win just because they can?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Who is suing them? I mean a lot of the stuff in there was pretty on the nose homage, but I don't think they actually went straight out and named copyrighted characters.

Or is this just one of those things where a big studio files a lawsuit they know they probably won't win just because they can?

quote:

Crystal Lake Entertainment, Inc. (Sean Cunningham) and Horror, Inc. are the rights holders of the "Friday the 13th" movie franchise. This includes all characters, such as Jason, and movie posters and one-sheets, and the right to create derivative works. This also includes all trademark rights.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
If they tried to make a Jason or Freddy Kruger game without the rights then yeah, that's actually what copyright law is for and they had it coming.

Business as usual for Kickstarter projects, though.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
The point is that it wasn't literally a Jason or Freddy game. There were very close parodies of Jason at the least, but it's not an unlicensed Jason game.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Actually they were specifically bitching about people who had bought their games in bundles or with steam coupons (which were supposedly created against their wishes) who had paid less than a buck for the game but still expected technical support to make the games run

He made such an rear end of himself that the banner saga guy started posting on a couple different sites "email me instead of keep posting publicly"

He wasn't just complaining in a general sense, either, he was personally attacking people who tried to offer any other opinions at all, really. It was pretty entertaining.

Their games are pretty bland and lovely, tho

e: http://www.puppygames.net/blog/?p=1574 "Because you are worthless," an open letter to their customers from someone who wants to make sure I never buy anything from him again, apparently

haha, cool, it's the titan attacks guy. he had a giant meltdown over at the TIGSource forums several years ago over a bogus plagiarism claim. Glad to know he's still imploding in slow motion.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Not video game related but I got my Reading Rainbow coffee mug and magnet in the mail today. Easiest 50 dollars donated.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Igneos: The Last Phoenix is a game that has been kicking around for years and I had forgotten it even existed. It's now on Kickstarter and I always thought it looked pretty rad. It's basically Okami except you're a bird.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Oblivion4568238 posted:

The point is that it wasn't literally a Jason or Freddy game. There were very close parodies of Jason at the least, but it's not an unlicensed Jason game.
It's not parody though. and it's not a Friday the 13th game in the same way Deadly Premonition wasn't a Twin Peaks game

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Basic Chunnel posted:

It's not parody though. and it's not a Friday the 13th game in the same way Deadly Premonition wasn't a Twin Peaks game

I meant homage more than parody, apologies, but the point stands that the character was not literally Jason. And, would you argue that David Lynch ought to have enforced copyright over Deadly Premonition? Yes, it is indeed not a Friday the 13th game in a similar way Deadly Premonition isn't a Twin Peaks game, just heavily inspired by it. Besides which, there were more killers planned for the game than just the Jason knock-off, and more environments than the lake camp knock-off. So, it's even less similar overall to Friday the 13th than DP is to Twin Peaks, even if the rest of it is cribbed from other psycho stalker horror franchises.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Even so, it really depends on what elements the Friday the 13th people are laying claim to. They probably couldn't make a very sound claim to owning slasher horror in general, but they could point to the lake camp concept together with the conceit of teens trying to survive against a supernatural homicidal maniac and say "this is clearly based on Friday the 13th". It's not hard to envision a judge agreeing with them there. It doesn't matter if it's just one small part of the whole, it was used to sell the game and they could very well be compelled to pay. And really, they couldn't have done a pine forest camp or a ski lodge that just happens to feature a lake? They didn't protect themselves all that well.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Copyright laws are bullshit, that said, they have a pretty good case.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Basic Chunnel posted:

Even so, it really depends on what elements the Friday the 13th people are laying claim to. They probably couldn't make a very sound claim to owning slasher horror in general, but they could point to the lake camp concept together with the conceit of teens trying to survive against a supernatural homicidal maniac and say "this is clearly based on Friday the 13th". It's not hard to envision a judge agreeing with them there. It doesn't matter if it's just one small part of the whole, it was used to sell the game and they could very well be compelled to pay. And really, they couldn't have done a pine forest camp or a ski lodge that just happens to feature a lake? They didn't protect themselves all that well.
Something similar happened between Capcom and and the owners of Dawn of the Dead when Dead Rising 1 came out.

Gamespot posted:

...United States Magistrate Judge Richard Seeborg granted Capcom's motion to dismiss the suit, saying that The MKR Group (the producer's company) "has not identified any similarity between Dead Rising and any protected element of Dawn of the Dead. Rather, the few similarities MKR has alleged are driven by the wholly unprotectable concept of humans battling zombies in a mall during a zombie outbreak."

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

The Kins posted:

Something similar happened between Capcom and and the owners of Dawn of the Dead when Dead Rising 1 came out.

Yeah, but I don't remember Capcom explicitly mentioning Dawn of the Dead in their marketing materials.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Didn't they have a disclaimer that it wasn't Dawn of the Dead though?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Yeah, I think I remember it being strangely prominent on the back cover of the box.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
It was on the front, but yeah, you had to ignore it to miss it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

senrath posted:

Yeah, but I don't remember Capcom explicitly mentioning Dawn of the Dead in their marketing materials.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The Romero Bros. certainly know how to make bad video games and think they're great ideas.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Looks like Johnny Rocketfingers 3 ain't gonna make it.

It's a shame, I'd be real curios to play it. In my opinion the ask is way too high for just the first episode in a series. I mean, I can understand working in the US =/= working in the EU, but much more polished AGs asked for less for full games. I think had he ask for 50k he would've made it... 80k I think is intimidating for backers, they think "never gonna make it" and skip it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Accordion Man posted:

Didn't they have a disclaimer that it wasn't Dawn of the Dead though?

I think that was added after the lawsuit.

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

Took a year of sitting on Greenlight and I guess some nutjob just saw something he didn't like. He must've jumped through some fuckin' hoops, though, because he contacted me at my personal email rather than the support one I used to develop that game. It actually wasn't that interesting and it sounded like he was reading off a checklist of "this is why games where you save damsels is bad" and while he sent four or five in the space of a few hours asking why I wasn't engaging in a rhetoric with him, I was sleeping at the time :v:

I told my bros and they were unanimous in saying, "nah dude that poo poo's radioactive waste, don't even reply to it," and I guess the guy wasn't that dedicated to his crusade because he gave up before I even checked the first mail he sent. But that got me to drop the hammer on buying some votes to finally get out, and now that we're in the top ten, I guess it was a good fire to have lit under my rear end.

The White Dragon posted:

I guess it kinda depends on the venue, but the place I went was 100GBP plus some regkeys for an audience that doesn't buy games they don't get for free anyway.

That's great that you are in the top 10 now, but I'd have said there's no need to buy votes. You can get them for free if you just want some traffic with a key giveaway (eg I gave away 100 keys here)

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

They may not be referring to him as Jason Vorhees, but that look is iconic and unique enough to be associated 100% with Jason. And setting the game at Silver Lake Camp is just icing on the cake. Crystal Lake Entertainment has every right to ask for it to be taken down.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Fair enough, I'd forgotten about that disclaimer. Still, I hold that there's a difference between saying "We're not affiliated with these guys in any way" and "Give us money to make a game based on these guys!"

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Hakkesshu posted:

Igneos: The Last Phoenix is a game that has been kicking around for years and I had forgotten it even existed. It's now on Kickstarter and I always thought it looked pretty rad. It's basically Okami except you're a bird.

Wow I completely forgot about this. Glad to see it's still trucking along but does it look very...default Unreal Engine to anyone else? Maybe it'll change once they upgrade from UDK to proper Unreal.

Also these rad people are collecting money for games so they can host safe entertainment spots at a library for underprivileged kids. They're rad and you should help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIYkt8ohdyo

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/bayard-taylor-memorial-library-video-game-club

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

That almost seems to me like a underhanded way to get "Dawn of the Dead" on your game box legally. :shrug:

I was at a conference where Randy Pitchford said that the Brothers in Arms series was explicitly named such to be legally distinct from HBO's Band of Brothers, but to still make people think it was the same thing or at least associate it with that well-received show.

Its pretty sad how the game industry constantly copies off each other, and then pretends like it didn't and sues other people who do the same. :smith:

All the early game companies like Id and Epic did stuff like stealing floppies to distribute the game, copying music, copying art assets, using extremely similar concepts, etc. Now they've all got legal teams and they get pissy if the new indies do the same.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Wow I completely forgot about this. Glad to see it's still trucking along but does it look very...default Unreal Engine to anyone else? Maybe it'll change once they upgrade from UDK to proper Unreal.

Yeah, I don't know. It probably won't make it anyway, I just still think it's a pretty cool concept.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

I dunno, looks more Borderlands than vanilla-Unreal to me :shrug:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

retro sexual posted:

That's great that you are in the top 10 now, but I'd have said there's no need to buy votes. You can get them for free if you just want some traffic with a key giveaway (eg I gave away 100 keys here)

Yeah, Whosgamingnow changed their policy and they charge these days :(

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Christian Knudsen posted:

They may not be referring to him as Jason Vorhees, but that look is iconic and unique enough to be associated 100% with Jason. And setting the game at Silver Lake Camp is just icing on the cake. Crystal Lake Entertainment has every right to ask for it to be taken down.

I've gotta agree. That's blatantly "Hey, this TOTALLY ISN'T JASON, nudge nudge wink wink, say no more".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
If they'd used any other kind of mask for that image, they likely would not have gotten hit with a lawsuit threat. As it is, that's pretty much just a straight up copy of Jason.