Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

I'm not sure why you would go an ivy at all if not for the ability to lord it over people and the lifetime J Crew discount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Oh, there it is

Imagine it in person. Just the worst thing.I kid, I kid.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

mikeraskol posted:

Go to Yale, become Sonia Sotomayor. Go to a t2, read endless depositions on a bus.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

zzyzx posted:

I'm not sure why you would go an ivy at all if not for the ability to lord it over people and the lifetime J Crew discount.

ugh.

Allen Edmonds or go home.

mikeraskol posted:

Of all the Hostess-stocked vending machines in all the world.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Oh, there it is

Sorry, I'm slacking on the lessons learned from "Slickness and the Law."

The Warszawa fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 16, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

The Warszawa posted:

ugh.

Allen Edmonds or go home.

Public Defenders wear Allen Edmonds.
I would think yalies would wear poorly built, bad fitting Italian shoes.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Don't you ever talk poo poo about Guido Calabresi.

Edit: Also, did we actually have someone in here talking about using their house as collateral for a loan to go to law school?

The Warszawa fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 16, 2015

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Seemed like a decent idea at the time.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Honestly if he hadn't paid it off it'd be a pretty good idea - take out a huge HELOC, get a degree that can't be repossessed, then after passing char & fitness board strategic default on that bad boy and fight it out for 5-10 years of free rent.

I do plaintiff foreclosure work so I see this stuff all the time and I'm constantly jealous.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

CaptainScraps posted:

Unless you want to be a divorce attorney. We'll be around forever.

Don't forget crim. We'll probably do away with divorce before we do away with poverty and mental illness. (Even then, we'll still have greed)

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Toona the Cat posted:

Why on earth would anyone go into debt that much willingly? I mean, I'm looking at 50-70k total and thinking that's a lot.
Expected profit based on ignorance of risks and/or delusional beliefs.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

"Don't go, no jobs, die alone. Unless you're a family law attorney. Then you're going to die alone and early."

Roger your privileges are reinstated if you add in the family law attorney exception listed above.

Sweet, I'm back baby!

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

CaptainScraps posted:

Unless you want to be a divorce attorney. We'll be around forever.

"Don't go, no jobs, die alone. Unless you're a family law attorney. Then you're going to die alone and early."

This gives me an idea.

Roger your privileges are reinstated if you add in the family law attorney exception listed above.

Tax lawyers have a decent future too, but have fun dropping an extra 50k on an LL.M. if you don't have a finance degree!

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

joat mon posted:

Don't forget crim. We'll probably do away with divorce before we do away with poverty and mental illness. (Even then, we'll still have greed)

I am in the business of stupid people. And business is good.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Oil and Gas is great in Texas because they're all either

a) making a fuckton of money and fighting over it, or

b) losing a fuckton of money and fighting over it.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

ActusRhesus posted:

Waiting for inmate. Court reporter, clerk and Marshall having sincere conversation about ghosts. Shoot me.

Client charged with conspiracy to commit murder.

2 Crown witnesses. First witness doesn't say anything that incriminates him. Second witness was so drunk that the didn't remember speaking to the police the first time. When the police came to her house to search for the threat they find one locked door. The officers ask her why the door is locked, and she tells them it's because there is a ghost inside :iiam:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Client charged with conspiracy to commit murder.

2 Crown witnesses. First witness doesn't say anything that incriminates him. Second witness was so drunk that the didn't remember speaking to the police the first time. When the police came to her house to search for the threat they find one locked door. The officers ask her why the door is locked, and she tells them it's because there is a ghost inside :iiam:

So dumb. Ghosts can go through doors.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

blarzgh posted:

This is true.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

blarzgh posted:

Not when the police are looking at them, though.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

blarzgh posted:

If your housemate was a ghost and gave police consent to search, could the police search your room even though you had locked it?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

joat mon posted:

If your housemate was a ghost and gave police consent to search, could the police search your room even though you had locked it?

I bet Cooley offers ghost law courses.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

blarzgh posted:

True, but under Kyllo, the cops are going to need a warrant before they can use their PKE meters.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

joat mon posted:

What if the process server knocks and a ghost who is a resident answers, and the ghost died when they were 10 years old, but have been living at the house for 8 years since, is the ghost old enough to accept service?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Wax Dynasty posted:

True, but under Kyllo, the cops are going to need a warrant before they can use their PKE meters.

But they don't need a warrant to observe sudden temperature changes.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I haven't been this happy for a Monday holiday since elementary school. No court Monday means no court prep Sunday, I get two days off of work next week! It's the little things in life.

Go Pats.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Tokelau All Star posted:

I haven't been this happy for a Monday holiday since elementary school. No court Monday means no court prep Sunday, I get two days off of work next week! It's the little things in life.

Go Pats.

My woman works for the government, so she always makes plans for us to do stuff on holidays, and then acts surprised when she finds out I work that day.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
The court of appeals is hearing oral argument on a case I thought was a no-brainer 3-0 affirmance. Sweet now I get to have horrible thoughts about having my incompetence permanently memorialized in the federal reporter.

The COA has been reversed by SCOTUS like 5 times in the past 10 years (one within the past 6 months) on this law though, so I'm hoping they're just using the case to describe the current standard and spend a brief period discussing how awesome the district court's order was before affirming us.

Mmmmm delicious stress bathe me in a sea of cortisol.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
So this came for my client today.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 16, 2015

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

blarzgh posted:

So this came for my client today.

I should get my firm's clients to use Judge Judy sometimes. A large portion of our cases are arbitration anyway and it's not like she's less qualified than the arbitrators we hire. (That's more a compliment to her than an insult to our arbitrators.)

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

joat mon posted:

Could the police conscript the ghost in your house to act as an agent to search a locked room?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Today's bus adventure is a hipster talking on a flip phone reading a paper back fantasy novel.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Today's bus adventure is a hipster talking on a flip phone reading a paper back fantasy novel.

is he a hipster or a poor?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

blarzgh posted:

is he a hipster or a poor?

He smelled. But hell, so do I.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

He smelled. But hell, so do I.

You aint riding DART till it smells like a fart

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Warszawa was probably on the Big Aristotle team at Liffeys. gently caress those guys

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

mastershakeman posted:

I absolutely believe that there's students in NYC/Chicago/wherever else that paid 50k sticker + another 50k a year in living expenses - 3k a month apartment, dining out constantly, etc.

I always assumed that my med school classmates with ridiculous apartments and aston martins just had loaded parents.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
Surprised not to see a bunch of law schools on this list: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_animals_with_fraudulent_diplomas

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
So I'm graduating with a double BS in Statistics and Computer Science in May and I have a job lined up when I graduate. However I've always been interested in the legal profession (both my parents and both my grandfathers are attorneys) so I'm planning on applying to law school (though I'm not sure yet if I will go.) My top choice if I go to law school would be UVA (my dad went there and it's in-state). Anyway I have a few questions and this looks like the thread to ask them in:

- I took the LSAT in December and got a 171, I am told this is a good score, but what sort of schools does this put me in striking distance for? Does this list include UVA?
- How possible would it be to work part-time during law school (not night classes, regular law school)? One of my main concerns about doing law school is that my CS skills will be rusty by the time I graduate, or I will not have kept up with the latest tech, and I would like to be able to keep my skills sharp should I decide to study law.
- Any particular advice on getting recommendations? My boss last year was CEO of the company I worked at, so I was thinking he would be a good person to get a rec from, and I know he would write a good one, but a friend of mine told me that law schools are going to want recs from college professors.

Thanks!

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Hauldren Collider posted:

So I'm graduating with a double BS in Statistics and Computer Science in May and I have a job lined up when I graduate. However I've always been interested in the legal profession (both my parents and both my grandfathers are attorneys) so I'm planning on applying to law school (though I'm not sure yet if I will go.) My top choice if I go to law school would be UVA (my dad went there and it's in-state). Anyway I have a few questions and this looks like the thread to ask them in:

- I took the LSAT in December and got a 171, I am told this is a good score, but what sort of schools does this put me in striking distance for? Does this list include UVA?
- How possible would it be to work part-time during law school (not night classes, regular law school)? One of my main concerns about doing law school is that my CS skills will be rusty by the time I graduate, or I will not have kept up with the latest tech, and I would like to be able to keep my skills sharp should I decide to study law.
- Any particular advice on getting recommendations? My boss last year was CEO of the company I worked at, so I was thinking he would be a good person to get a rec from, and I know he would write a good one, but a friend of mine told me that law schools are going to want recs from college professors.

Thanks!

Don't go. It's never a good idea to go unless you have a full ride scholarship to a T14.

You have a job lined up in a good industry. You do not want to spend $500,000 and probably more* to have an outside shot to get a low paying job in a dying industry. Job prospects are really bad for everyone.

You will not be able to work part time and keep up with the top gunners who you need to compete with to get a good job. Unless maybe you bag groceries or something for eight hours a week but then your ego won't handle that.

Advice on getting recommendations? This thread is a great place to start. We recommend you don't go. You are welcome.

*Remember, it's $50k plus per year for tuition, then room and board, plus you are giving up your regular salary.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 17, 2015

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Yes, I understand. However I am applying regardless and deferring the decision on whether to attend until I see where I get in. Also I am fortunate in that cost is not an issue for me.

So part time work in law school (other than retail stuff) is not feasible?

Edit: also I heard prospects are good for patent attorneys, is that no longer true?

Hauldren Collider fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jan 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Hauldren Collider posted:

So I'm graduating with a double BS in Statistics and Computer Science in May and I have a job lined up when I graduate.

Don't go to law school. Job prospects are still pretty crap and you're just setting yourself up for this post getting quoted three years later when it all comes crashing down. You've got something solid lined up already.

Eminent Domain fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 17, 2015