Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

DekeThornton posted:

Lecithin from the egg is the emulsifier. Mustard and something acidic, like lemon juice or vinegar, is added for flavour.
Lecithin is indeed the primary emulsifier, but mustard is a pretty good surfactant that helps stabilise the emulsion in addition to adding flavour. Most mayonnaise is pretty stable by itself, but a simple vinaigrette will last a gently caress of a lot longer if it contains a little mustard than if it doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Ambrosia is one of the defining Midwestern culinary idiocies. I always had it with Cool Whip and I think coconut? And mandarin oranges only. It's far from gross but definitely cheap and stupid, and closely connected in my mind with that agonizing boredom of being a child at a non-Christmas family gathering.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

The Time Dissolver posted:

Ambrosia is one of the defining Midwestern culinary idiocies. I always had it with Cool Whip and I think coconut? And mandarin oranges only. It's far from gross but definitely cheap and stupid, and closely connected in my mind with that agonizing boredom of being a child at a non-Christmas family gathering.

It's not so much a Midwestern idiocy as a Southern thing. Depending on the amount of effort put in to it you end up with different results.

Cottage cheese + canned oranges + Miracle Whip + raw shredded coconut = DEAR GOD WHY!?

Small marshmellows + orange/grape/cherry slices + toasted shredded coconut + toasted walnut/pecan + home made whipping cream/yogurt = a pretty darn good desert.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Ambrosia is a company that makes rice pudding and custard in the UK

Dangit Ronpaul
May 12, 2009

death .cab for qt posted:

It'd be like somebody refusing to eat cheese because the only cheese they've ever had were Kraft Singles and Velveeta.

this was me up until about age 14

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Miracle Whip is some good poo poo. But I also like HP Sauce which most of my American friends consider to be "too tangy" so maybe I just like really tangy foods or something.

isnt HP sauce really similar to A1?

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Ambrosia is just whip cream and fruit you loving goons. It tastes alright but its definitely a dessert salad and not, in a common use of the word, a green salad. If you're worried about putting too much sugar in it too you can just cut back on the amount in the whip cream and put more fruit in, or eat less of it.

I also don't see what's wrong with marshmallows. They're mostly there to add texture moreso than flavor and you don't need to dumptruck marshmallows into a recipe that calls for marshmallows.

Of course this is Goons we are talking about, nobody knows the meaning of moderation apparently. From what it sounds like almost everyone here is diabetic or something.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Haverchuck posted:

isnt HP sauce really similar to A1?

No. A1 has more of a savory spice, HP is a tangy sweet; HP tastes a LOT like Heinz 57 to me. I had both while overseas, the difference isn't regional.

I don't particularly like HP or H57.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Miracle Whip isn't a brand of mayonnaise, it's a completely different and awful concoction: equal parts mayonnaise and salad dressing with a bunch of sugar dumped in to give it a "tangy zip". It's disgusting yet somehow has managed to carve out a niche as a "healthy" alternative to mayo because it has less fat.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I once bought Miracle Whip for a picnic thinking it was regular mayo. Ugh, I still remember the taste of confusion and disappointment, sitting by a river staring at a half-constructed lunch I would not be able to enjoy.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Funny story about A1. It was originally marketed in cans as a ketchup alternative. Then they switched to bottles and people started complaining it didn't taste right. So A1 had to reformulate their recipe to add the metallic tang left from the can days.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Samizdata posted:

Funny story about A1. It was originally marketed in cans as a ketchup alternative. Then they switched to bottles and people started complaining it didn't taste right. So A1 had to reformulate their recipe to add the metallic tang left from the can days.
[citation needed]

I don't believe A.1 would have originally been marketed as an alternative to ketchup because it predates the rise of ketchup as the universal condiment. A.1 was being sold in the 1830s, when ketchup was still just something your Mom would make at home. It didn't become something anyone would make an alternative to until after companies like Heinz were making it, around a half a century after A.1 was originally formulated. And I don't think A.1 ever came in cans---at least none of the old print ads dating back to the late Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century show anything other than a bottle:

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Aesop Poprock posted:

I know we already had a huge derail about ambrosia earlier in this thread but marshmallow really is just a bottom tier food and anything you mix it with is going to come out cheaper tasting

Anybody who doesn't like smores is a freaking lunatic

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

How Rude posted:

Of course this is Goons we are talking about, nobody knows the meaning of moderation apparently. From what it sounds like almost everyone here is diabetic or something.

close, they try really really really hard to make sure that you know that they're totally not one of those fat diabetes goons you hear so much about, so anything with more than 4 grains of sugar in it might as well be pure HFCS

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SubG posted:

[citation needed]

I don't believe A.1 would have originally been marketed as an alternative to ketchup because it predates the rise of ketchup as the universal condiment. A.1 was being sold in the 1830s, when ketchup was still just something your Mom would make at home. It didn't become something anyone would make an alternative to until after companies like Heinz were making it, around a half a century after A.1 was originally formulated. And I don't think A.1 ever came in cans---at least none of the old print ads dating back to the late Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century show anything other than a bottle:

I will have to track down the book I read it in.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Samizdata posted:

I will have to track down the book I read it in.

It was probably by Bill Bryson, he lies a lot and never checks any facts; hope this helps. (As a rule, any and all interesting stories about the origins of foodstuffsanything are lies.)

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

death .cab for qt posted:

Ambrosia is super common around here, and it's heinous. If you were imagining a mixture of marshmallows and mandarin oranges as a taste that doesn't mix well together, you were right. It tastes like a peeled orange dipped in cheap marshmallows, with coconut to boot, and not a drop of rum in sight.

That's nothing compared to the scariest thing I've seen crop up in the midwest. When I was seven, for some reason it became the best idea to take a banana/ham/cheese casserole to potlucks.

I don't know why this became popular again, or who decided it was a good idea in the first place, but what the gently caress.

e: An yeah, this was done with a bunch of bananas, a pack of lunchmeat, and Velveeta.

I've seen it made with bologna instead of

[quote="death .cab for qt" post="440255332"]
Ambrosia is super common around here, and it's heinous. If you were imagining a mixture of marshmallows and mandarin oranges as a taste that doesn't mix well together, you were right. It tastes like a peeled orange dipped in cheap marshmallows, with coconut to boot, and not a drop of rum in sight.

That's nothing compared to the scariest thing I've seen crop up in the midwest. When I was seven, for some reason it became the best idea to take a banana/ham/cheese casserole to potlucks.

I don't know why this became popular again, or who decided it was a good idea in the first place, but what the gently caress.

e: An yeah, this was done with a bunch of bananas, a pack of lunchmeat, and Velveeta.

I've seen it made with bologna instead of Ham.

It's pretty common to bake plantain with queso de Mano on top, so that's probably where they got the idea. No idea about the ham, though. Also pretty sure bananas would oxidase and turn to grey goop :yum:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jerry Cotton posted:

It was probably by Bill Bryson, he lies a lot and never checks any facts; hope this helps. (As a rule, any and all interesting stories about the origins of foodstuffsanything are lies.)

Hey now, everything I know about the history of the English language I learned from Bill Bryson.

Wait, poo poo

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

That actually sounds pretty good, maybe except for the cheese sticks. I'd eat a few slices.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Starch on starch is the best.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

There's already melted mozzarella on the pizza, why go with the cheese sticks? :psyduck:

If you want fried batter on the drat thing so badly just toss a funnel cake on it.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Nothing is ever really going to make the texture of mayonnaise palatable to me and adds nothing to a dish but texture most of the time. I guess I don't really feel the need to lube up the food I'm eating. Not even claiming to eat healthy I just feel slimy for the rest of the meal once I eat any

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Speaking of mayonnaise:

Meet Just Mayo: it has mayo in the name and an egg on the package but it's not actually mayonnaise and contains no eggs. :downsbravo:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sleeveless posted:

Speaking of mayonnaise:

Meet Just Mayo: it has mayo in the name and an egg on the package but it's not actually mayonnaise and contains no eggs. :downsbravo:

Maybe we're reading it wrong. What if they mean it's a just mayo. Like a mayo that is just because it contains no eggs?

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

rodbeard posted:

Nothing is ever really going to make the texture of mayonnaise palatable to me and adds nothing to a dish but texture most of the time. I guess I don't really feel the need to lube up the food I'm eating. Not even claiming to eat healthy I just feel slimy for the rest of the meal once I eat any

This is really such a strange comment. Firstly, the usage of mayo that I'm familiar with is typically minimal, I don't know people who put globs of it on their sandwich or mix tons in their food, so I'm honestly unable to understand why you seem to think this is the primary usage. I like the flavor it adds to the things I use it with. When I use mayo, it's usually a coating on a slice of bread, not tons if it dripping all over the place I'm not sure how a coating of eggs blended with oil would have such a major impact to make you feel "slimy".

I'm honestly not sure if this is just extreme hyperbole, or if you are just an extremely picky eater. Do you feel that all condiments are used for "texture" alone?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

rodbeard posted:

I don't think you've ever had mayo that doesn't come from a jar on the shelf. If the only burger you had eaten was one of those horrible German canned burgers, you would hate them too.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

rodbeard posted:

Things that share the texture of mayo: Almost literally any sauce or dressing.

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
I used to see things on TV about Americans never having fresh fruit, knot knowing was certin vegetables were,never having eaten a real orange. And then Obama got made fun of for asking for Dijon mustard on something.
The main US food discussion I ever come across is just fast food talk. Or meat heavy with pointless sides.

Completely bizarre and food impoverished place, as far as I can tell.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
A big reason is that supermarket fruit tastes like toilet paper.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Rapman the Cook posted:

I used to see things on TV about Americans never having fresh fruit, knot knowing was certin vegetables were,never having eaten a real orange. And then Obama got made fun of for asking for Dijon mustard on something.
The main US food discussion I ever come across is just fast food talk. Or meat heavy with pointless sides.

Have you ever been to the US?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rapman the Cook posted:

The right wing stills tries to push the idea that things like sushi, arugula, and spices are the food of the stuck-up liberal, and real Americans only eat ground beef, ketchup, potatoes, and PB&J sandwiches.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Rapman the Cook posted:

Yeah, I don't know which TV shows you saw this on, but it's baloney. Fresh fruit and vegetables are ubiquitous in every supermarket in the country. You can buy fresh tomatoes, strawberries, corn, oranges, lemons, apples, lettuce, cucumbers, pumpkins, and so on, on the side of the road in every slightly rural place with an actual growing season. The only "certain vegetables" someone here might not recognize would be things native to, say, southeast Asia that just never caught on, here.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

A big reason is that supermarket fruit tastes like toilet paper.

This is also baloney, although it varies by grocery story and season. Yeah, the oranges you get in the dead center of the country in February don't taste as good as the ones that fall off the trees in my Florida back yard come November, but quality produce is widely available, even at chain stores.

vv I'm sorry you live in some some sort of bizarre food desert where the fruit all tastes like poo poo. That must suck.

Centripetal Horse has a new favorite as of 09:18 on Jan 16, 2015

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Nah it mostly sucks, especially the waxed crap.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Nah it mostly sucks, especially the waxed crap.

The regular fruits in an average SoCal supermarket are very delicious,

Centripetal Horse posted:

I'm sorry you live in some some sort of bizarre food desert where the fruit all tastes like poo poo. That must suck.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I should preface my posts in this thread with the fact that I grew up poor

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

pandaK posted:

Yeah, there's a lot of fruit that grows in relatively warm climates that tastes great when it's ripe. When it's picked two weeks before it's ripe, gassed into color, and shipped a thousand miles away, it tastes somewhat less good and somewhat more like cardboard.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

pandaK posted:

Meanwhile, my kinfolk out in west Texas don't really get non-gassed fruit readily.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~
Where I am in New England all the grocery stores besides the budget ones like Aldi (which is awesome for cheap shelf-stable and frozen stuff but not so much for fruit and veggies) source as much produce and pretty much all of the eggs and milk from local farms and it's all fresh as hell. During the 2/3 of the year that it's too cold to grow anything here though the produce quality drops considerably since they have to ship it in from other places. Veggies at the store in winter are 1/2 the size they are in the summer.

salty fries make me cry has a new favorite as of 09:47 on Jan 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Ubiquitous? Maybe. Pricey as gently caress in some regions? You bet your rear end. Food deserts are a very real and very saddening thing and I've personally seen the mark-up on fresh foods in the inner city and impoverished areas of Kansas City and Atlanta. It's silly to think that there's some sort of uniformity in quality in the produce and meats that are provided in supermarkets across the country. You're much more likely to get shittier, more expensive items in the poorer areas of the United States and it's a terrible lot for many people.

• Locked thread