Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Rarity posted:

I did like the opening narration. Peggy Carter is someone else... something else.

I'm telling you, The Amell Factor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Nill posted:

Pretty sure all those operators on that hallway are working for them considering how they were all crying after Krzeminski died, not just Rose.

Also, setting up your agency inside a phone exchange would certainly make it easy work to tap & trace calls.

Nah, I get that they were in on it, it just seems like a whole lot of non-essential personnel to maintain a cover, as opposed to using a generic warehouse or whatever.

I guess I'm thinking too hard about tongue-in-cheek spy stuff though. :v:

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Phylodox posted:

I'm telling you, The Amell Factor!

Hayley is just likeable. She's not really all that famous and really seems like she's enjoying the role and not letting it go to her head. She obviously loves playing Peggy, so, yeah, she's a lot like Stephen Amell in that respect.

Peggy is also very likeable. Markus and McFeely deserve some props for creating an interesting, sympathetic, and three dimensional character out of what was probably going to be a one off gal Friday/love interest. She really was one of the best things about CA:TFA.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I was trying to figure out why Jarvis was familiar, he's the creepy stalker/probable rapist-murderer from season 2 of Broadchurch - it's amazing the difference a suit and an affected manner of speech makes.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Jerusalem posted:

I was trying to figure out why Jarvis was familiar, he's the creepy stalker/probable rapist-murderer from season 2 of Broadchurch - it's amazing the difference a suit and an affected manner of speech makes.

Yeah. I didn't realize that was Bridget Regan or Lyndsy Fonseca until I read it in this thread, and I watched Legend of the Seeker and Nikita. It took me until this episode to realize that Agent Meathead was Kyle Bornheimer. Dress somebody up like its the 1940s and you might as well have put mask over their face for all I can tell.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

ChickenMedium posted:

Yeah. I didn't realize that was Bridget Regan or Lyndsy Fonseca until I read it in this thread, and I watched Legend of the Seeker and Nikita. It took me until this episode to realize that Agent Meathead was Kyle Bornheimer. Dress somebody up like its the 1940s and you might as well have put mask over their face for all I can tell.

Do you live in Metropolis?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

ToastyPotato posted:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

ToastyPotato posted:

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
i mean, he slicks his hair back too

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Alternately: Tempus

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

It's funny because I remembered this exchange clearly, right down to the galactically stupid line, which has always stuck with me, but holy poo poo did my brain completely rewrite the visuals.

In my head, Lois was always more screen right, and Tempus was screen left (opposite of this), Tempus was chubbier, and had possibly longer, curly hair. He also had a purplish coat on. He was also alone, and the glasses were his. The scene also took place in a darkened room of some sort, and not a barn. Lois was also restrained.

Even worse, I feel like I looked this scene up only a few years ago, so I must have some how forgotten AGAIN.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
Yeah this episode was a bit slower than the last two. I could have done without quite so much office wranglings. That being said I'm really digging the show overall! The or thing that's breaking my suspense of disbelief is the fact that NO ONE is smoking, as opposed to, you know, everyone. It's a minor gripe, but you can totally tell it's an ABC show.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

You can get brutally shot in the head while you're in bed as long as you don't smoke while you're doing it.

And that was a really boring episode, like early AoS boring. The first 30 minutes or so were pointless garbage that really contributed nothing important to the episode. They could have gone to Stark manor, jumped down a hole and seen a boat, and hopped on the boat in 5 minutes of screentime.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Boru posted:

Yeah this episode was a bit slower than the last two. I could have done without quite so much office wranglings. That being said I'm really digging the show overall! The or thing that's breaking my suspense of disbelief is the fact that NO ONE is smoking, as opposed to, you know, everyone. It's a minor gripe, but you can totally tell it's an ABC show.

Yeah, everyone should be smoking. Heck, some people should be smoking twice. But alas, simpler times.

I hope there's some hijinks in the hot chick hotel.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

alarumklok posted:

You can get brutally shot in the head while you're in bed as long as you don't smoke while you're doing it.

And that was a really boring episode, like early AoS boring. The first 30 minutes or so were pointless garbage that really contributed nothing important to the episode. They could have gone to Stark manor, jumped down a hole and seen a boat, and hopped on the boat in 5 minutes of screentime.

Decompression? In a comic-based property? :confused:

After 2 great to blockbuster episodes, it's not unreasonable that the action would slow down - if only to spare the budget. I like where the plot's going - I was afraid that it was going to be a dumb "bad baby of the week" thing, so I'm glad they've recovered all the inventions in one go. More importantly, I like the characters. I'm in.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
I think I'm broken. I didn't hate that. Jarvis confiding in Peggy, and Peggy screwing herself over at work for Jarvis seemed like important character beats.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

The Modern Leper posted:

Decompression? In a comic-based property? :confused:

After 2 great to blockbuster episodes, it's not unreasonable that the action would slow down - if only to spare the budget. I like where the plot's going - I was afraid that it was going to be a dumb "bad baby of the week" thing, so I'm glad they've recovered all the inventions in one go. More importantly, I like the characters. I'm in.

It's a mini-series. I thought the point of a shorter series was to cut out the filler. It's in a genre of television shared by the Flash, Arrow, and second season Agents of SHIELD with a fraction of the time to show your story; it doesn't really get the time to slow to crawl.

I didn't hate it, but I did think it was treading water when it really didn't need to.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I've got one question: why was the boat still there? It's been quite a while since the stuff was stolen, and the key thing about boats is that they move. Even if you just sail it to another dock, don't leave the boat full of stuff you stole right next to your exit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bruceski posted:

I've got one question: why was the boat still there? It's been quite a while since the stuff was stolen, and the key thing about boats is that they move. Even if you just sail it to another dock, don't leave the boat full of stuff you stole right next to your exit.

I can't remember who it was, but I'm fairly certain one character (Carter herself? Dooley?) pointed out that the boat just sitting there all this time was suspicious and there was more to this than meets the eye.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

jscolon2.0 posted:

I think I'm broken. I didn't hate that. Jarvis confiding in Peggy, and Peggy screwing herself over at work for Jarvis seemed like important character beats.

You're not broken. I enjoyed the slower paced episode too. This isn't the first time the thread has accused AoS of giving us 'filler' when in reality we got a 'table setting episode with good character beats'. I don't need all my shows to go at breakneck Arrow pace.

Bruceski posted:

Yeah this bugged me too. I hope it's all part of the 'secret plan' or something. Maybe someone is hiding in a box!

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
I don't know how this episode could be called "boring". Sure, not every week can have a James Bond-esque fistfight atop a speeding vehicle, but this was a good character driven episode where quite a lot happened, and then a supporting character got brutally murdered in the middle of the street.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah I'm really not getting where the "filler" complaints are coming from. And I say that as someone who thinks the first dozen episodes of AoS season 1 are 100% skippable.

-SSR found out about the two Leviathan guys.
-Jarvis got brought in and questioned and is now on SSR's radar.
-Peggy pretended to screw up in a major way and is now even lower in her colleague's eyes than before. (I really hope they stick with this and don't handwave it away just because that guy died)
-We got a bunch of background info on Jarvis.
-They found Stark's missing inventions.
-Comic relief character is killed by a mysteriously-introduced assassin.

A "filler" episode isn't one where half a dozen important developments that affect the overall plot happen. A proper filler episode would've been Peggy getting sent home from work and spending all day in her building going through inconsequential-but-whacky shenanigans. I mean, we still might get an episode like that, but until then...

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Jarvis' fake accent is really funny after hearing Amy Poehler did a joke about a similar thing at the Golden Globes.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Jerusalem posted:

I can't remember who it was, but I'm fairly certain one character (Carter herself? Dooley?) pointed out that the boat just sitting there all this time was suspicious and there was more to this than meets the eye.

The dark haired leviathan guy mentioned they were only actually after one particular thing from the vault and he broke ranks to try and sell the rest, that's what got the blond leviathan guy after him.

The thing they were actually after is probably a reverse engineered and incomplete super solider serum to bring the story full circle.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

SirDan3k posted:

The dark haired leviathan guy mentioned they were only actually after one particular thing from the vault and he broke ranks to try and sell the rest, that's what got the blond leviathan guy after him.

The thing they were actually after is probably a reverse engineered and incomplete super solider serum to bring the story full circle.

This, except arc reactor.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Peggy throwing herself on that proverbial grenade for Jarvis and sacrificing what little reputation she managed to scrape together among her SSR colleagues was probably the most heroic thing anyone in the MCU (except Steve) has done. (That said, I haven't seen the last Iron Man or Thor).

Ok, I'm not counting Tony and the nuke, but that whole thing was stupid. Nobody thought "We have nukes, they have a portal, what happens if we combine the two?"

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah that scene was brutal and like I said earlier I really hope they don't just forget about it. Peggy being willing to give everyone the validation they need for their lovely opinions of her does a lot to build her character. It would be a shame if they just threw it all away and would cheapen her eventual triumph.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

jscolon2.0 posted:

This, except arc reactor.

Howard: Oh they were after THAT? I could never figure out how to make the element to make that thing work properly anyway. :shrug:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jerusalem posted:

Howard: Oh they were after THAT? I could never figure out how to make the element to make that thing work properly anyway. :shrug:

I think the arc reactor will come into play as Anton was introduced, however that plot element might be in a later season as in Iron Man 2 they said it happened in the 60s. However, they could reveal he was part of Hydra or Leviathan in this but still active.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I liked the 3rd episode a lot. Not everything has to be frenetic, especially in a cold war espionage story.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
Peggy taking the ding to her reputation to save Jarvis was skin-crawlingly painful, in the best way possible.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Mars4523 posted:

Peggy throwing herself on that proverbial grenade for Jarvis and sacrificing what little reputation she managed to scrape together among her SSR colleagues was probably the most heroic thing anyone in the MCU (except Steve) has done. (That said, I haven't seen the last Iron Man or Thor).

Omg watch Iron Man 3. It's really fantastic as long as you keep in mind that it is not an iron man movie, it's a Tony Stark movie.
But no, he doesn't do anything super heroic. Happy is pretty heroic, but when isn't he?

As for this episode of AC. I liked it. Yes, it was a bit slower, but not every episode can be crazy action packed. You have to let things simmer a bit and build.

Plus Peggy acting like an idiot makes tying the ending to the one-shot a lot more reasonable.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Mars4523 posted:

I don't know how this episode could be called "boring". Sure, not every week can have a James Bond-esque fistfight atop a speeding vehicle...
To me, this episode felt especially James Bond. Specifically one of the older Bonds when they were still more like spy stories instead of full-on action movies. Sneaking around to gather clues, missing weapons of mass destruction, hitting women, discussions of politics, a mysterious assassin, a brawl with a beefy henchman... definitely a Connery-era-Bond feeling.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Jerusalem posted:

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

:captainpop:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

One of the best Star Trek movies.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well good Goddamn :stare:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

imperialparadox posted:

Nah, I get that they were in on it, it just seems like a whole lot of non-essential personnel to maintain a cover, as opposed to using a generic warehouse or whatever.

I guess I'm thinking too hard about tongue-in-cheek spy stuff though. :v:

Didn't Captain America also feature Super Soldier Serum facility in a store run by a old lady who had a shotgun?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Rirse posted:

Didn't Captain America also feature Super Soldier Serum facility in a store run by a old lady who had a shotgun?

Tommy gun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Rirse posted:

Grease gun (edit - above is right, I'm misremembering it, it was a Tommy Gun with a straight clip), actually, but yeah, it was. The SSR was certainly creative with fronts in the '40's. It looks like they got lazy at some point, if TWS is any indication. 'Yeah, let's just put it in a fake munitions bunker on a National Guard post.' is a far cry from what they're doing in this show. I guess they were afraid Zola would keep the neighbors up, or something.

AbsolutelySane fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 16, 2015

• Locked thread