Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
freethought
Feb 24, 2011

Calico Heart posted:

No, it's many bot-hands dyed, you idiots. Robotic hands that were dyed so they could blend into their environments retrieved the data, and none in fact died and they were celebrated as heroes after the rebellion. There's a symbolic statue of a single giant rainbow robotic fist on Kashyyyk in their honour.

"Many Bot-hands dyed retrieved this data", was meant to be the line, but Lucas liked the misread and kept it in.

You almost had me, but you just went that one step too far.

Tender Bender posted:

Bothans are only mentioned once in the OT, as spies, and so in the EU Bothans are renowned for their cunning and are all spies or scheming politicians.

Also, all Hutts are gangsters, all Bith are musicians, all Skywalkers are Jedi and all Toydarians carry a little purse of gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Smerdyakov posted:

Ahahaha holy poo poo, I totally forgot about Dash Rendar. How many Han Solo derived characters are there in the EU? Talon Karde , Dash Rendar and Atton Rand for sure, but I'm guessing there's at least another half-dozen vest-wearing corellian smugglers out there.

"Han Solo? Never heard of him. This here original character is just a hard living corellian smuggler who flies a modified freighter. See, he says he only cares about money, but actually he has a heart of gold and eventually comes through for the good guys in a big way. That's the hook that makes him unique!" :suicide:

dash randar's existence is forgivable if he only existed for the video game. but yeah even when I was little, I wish they had just had it be han solo. there's no reason it couldn't have been han solo.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

the most varied type of characters shown for any race is... gungans

freethought
Feb 24, 2011

david... posted:

the most varied type of characters shown for any race is... gungans

Yeah, like what was up with Boss Nass? If Gungans get fat their eyes recede into their head and their skull changes shape?

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

even character types and personalities they have the most, shits hosed up

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Lucas is a racist that had a stereotypical short asian alien

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

freethought posted:

You almost had me, but you just went that one step too far.

Also, all Hutts are gangsters, all Bith are musicians, all Skywalkers are Jedi and all Toydarians carry a little purse of gold.

There was a Bith Sith Lord, Tenebrous. He was Plageius' master and a scientist(?).

The new Marvel Star Wars is just reprints of the Dark Horse Star Wars that came out a year or two ago right? I think I'd read they'd start with reprints.

Edit: looks like it is new stories.

Cyberball 2072 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 16, 2015

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Smerdyakov posted:

Talon Karde

Can't be based on Han because Talon was a successful smuggler.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

ohhh herro re are from da tray federation we so solly

freethought
Feb 24, 2011

SaltLick posted:

Lucas is a racist that had a stereotypical short asian alien

Lucas is a jew that had a stereotypical big nosed jewish alien.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Trast posted:

Can't be based on Han because Talon was a successful smuggler.

He was more like Han Solo's boss.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cyberball 2072 posted:

There was a Bith Sith Lord, Tenebrous. He was Plageius' master and a scientist(?).

Darth Tenebrous was a bitch.

freethought
Feb 24, 2011

Cyberball 2072 posted:

He wasn't a scientist, his nickname was the jizz scientist because his poo poo was so experimental.

Little known fact: Despite a lengthy career on the Jizz circuit before ultimately taking his Sith vows (Jizz is just the first step on a slippery slope) he was actually classically trained and his Sith name was chosen due to his marvellous tenor singing voice. He instilled in Plagueis a deep love of the Calamari water opera and even Plagueis' traitorous student Sidious was known to enjoy such entertainments long after he had betryayed and murdered his master.*

*Source - Some EU bullshit that is no longer canon you loving nerds.

vvvv Also no longer canon

freethought fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 16, 2015

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
So I was reading wookiepedia to figure out why Chewbacca is a general in the battle on Kashyyk in the prequels and a lowlife in the OT and came across this line:

Now wanted, Chewbacca wandered the galaxy, managing to evade the slave traders. One day, Chewbacca came across a wounded elf named Mala Mala and carried her off to the sick bay of a ship in which she received life-saving medical attention from a medical droid. After seeing that she was alright, the two parted ways, only to see each other years later. During his travels, Chewie gained many friends and even owned a ship of his own.

there's loving elves??

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

freethought posted:

He wasn't a scientist, his nickname was the jizz scientist because his poo poo was so experimental.

Little known fact: Despite a lengthy career on the Jizz circuit before ultimately taking his Sith vows (Jizz is just the first step on a slippery slope) he was actually classically trained and his Sith name was chosen due to his marvellous tenor singing voice. He instilled in Plagueis a deep love of the Calamari water opera and even Plagueis' traitorous student Sidious was known to enjoy such entertainments long after he had betryayed and murdered his master.*

*Source - Some EU bullshit that is no longer canon you loving nerds.

your mom is a jizz scientists

freethought
Feb 24, 2011

spacemang_spliff posted:

your mom is a jizz scientists

Hey, it's the family business.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Blocking force lightning is called tutaminis.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tutaminis

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Blocking force lightning is called tutaminis.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tutaminis

quote:

In addition, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker were both able to block blaster bolts with their bare hands,[28][29] a talent the latter displayed after his fall to the dark side of the Force when he absorbed Han Solo's blaster shots during their meeting on Cloud City.[5]

quote:

Lost Tribe of Sith members were able to not only absorb energy from blaster bolts by their palms[20], but also ability to deflect it back as they would otherwise by lightsaber.[31]

heh

Big Butt Skinner
Apr 16, 2005

Blueprints of the dummy...
Notarized photos of you making the dummy...
And an alternate wording for the banner: "Buttzilla."

freethought posted:

Yeah, like what was up with Boss Nass? If Gungans get fat their eyes recede into their head and their skull changes shape?
I looked this up. Boss Nass is an Ankuran Gungan, most Gungans are Otallan Gungans. There are different Gungan races.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

82 pages late for this but lightsaber kneepads I am loving down.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

He was more like Han Solo's boss.

If Han Solo's boss was written exactly like him and had a cape. The cape is what makes him unique.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

spacemang_spliff posted:

dash randar's existence is forgivable if he only existed for the video game. but yeah even when I was little, I wish they had just had it be han solo. there's no reason it couldn't have been han solo.

solo was busy being frozen and I think they even make a plot point of it. But why not Lando? he was a cool rouguish guy and could have flown the actual falcon

Liandar
Feb 2, 2011

freethought posted:

Lucas is a jew that had a stereotypical big nosed jewish alien.

Hey, if you saw a big nosed alien who only cares about the money and your immediate thought was "Oh, it's a jew", you are the one being racist :smug:

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013

Otisburg posted:

solo was busy being frozen and I think they even make a plot point of it. But why not Lando? he was a cool rouguish guy and could have flown the actual falcon

Because then we would have never played the awesome hoth battle!

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013

Wandle Shaytham posted:

I looked this up. Boss Nass is an Ankuran Gungan, most Gungans are Otallan Gungans. There are different Gungan races.

I don't remember this tidbit in the Phantom Menace. What gives? I think I got a defective copy!

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Otisburg posted:

A vest-wearing corellian smuggler flying a modified YT-2400 light freighter comes to the rescue of a guy who is identical to him every way except Han flies a modified YT-1300 light freighter. Also, Lando couldn't have done it because some clumsy writer might have inadvertently ruined the precious, precious canon that exists between Empire and Return. It was much better to let them make totally new characters with lots of original attributes that remained consistent with the previous world-building.

Remember this guy? He fell off kinda hard, I wonder why he never became popular like Grand Admiral Thraw--

...oh.

Edit for emphasis: "...and he will become his apprentice and his grip on the galaxy will be supreme." What?

Smerdyakov fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jan 16, 2015

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Even as a kid that never made sense to me. Xizor basically runs all the crime in the galaxy so.... yay for him? What does he possibly get out of becoming the Emperor's new right hand other than giving himself a boss when he didn't used to have one?

Didn't stop me from making my parents buy his action figure of course :haw:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

he had a cool spaceship

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Otisburg posted:

he had a cool spaceship

tbqh this is the only character trait that matters

it's why the prequels are so terrible, actually. nobody has a cool spaceship. seriously in the originals Luke and Wedge had X-Wings, Tarkin has the loving Death Star, Vader had that super star destroyer, Han and Lando had the Falcon, even Leia had her own cool ship that Vader blew up in the opening scene

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jan 16, 2015

necroid
May 14, 2009

somebody mirrored that part specifically to achieve penis palace because the steaming cup of red paint and the balcony are mirrored too and why would anyone do that

freethought
Feb 24, 2011

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

it's why the prequels are so terrible, actually. nobody has a cool spaceship. seriously in the originals Luke and Wedge had X-Wings, Tarkin has the loving Death Star, Vader had that super star destroyer, Han and Lando had the Falcon, even Leia had her own cool ship that Vader blew up in the opening scene

Man, you're crazy. Padme had that cool ship from Flight of the Navigator in the first one. Sure we didn't actually see Max but I just assumed he was a force sensitive who went on to steal the Death Star plans and he was at Endor too I guess.

Plus how can you forget Obi Wan's ship from the second one? It had that circle thing for some reason and it was red I think. It had a sort of pointy front or something, right? Such an unforgettable design.

Then there were those awesome ships in the third. They were like X-Wings but they had six wings.

How come everybody called the Death Star a space station when it was obviously a space ship?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

freethought posted:

Call me crazy but isn't the information that renowned rebel spy Manny Bothans retrieved only in regards to the Emperor being aboard the DS2? Like did they even have any plans for it? Lando just told that ball-chin dude to lock on to the largest power source, it's got to be the reactor, yeah?

Heh, renowned Rebel Spy Manfred "Mannie" Bothans is a legend in my Star Wars RPG tabletop groups.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

necroid posted:

somebody mirrored that part specifically to achieve penis palace because the steaming cup of red paint and the balcony are mirrored too and why would anyone do that

You can even see a part of the second cup of wine and balcony in the first picture.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
This is a dickpalace, and no perfectly reasonable argument you have to offer will change that.

necroid
May 14, 2009

yeah nevermind this seems to be the original

freethought
Feb 24, 2011
It still looks like a dick and it's now been joined by two naturally formed dicks.

Otisburg posted:

Heh, renowned Rebel Spy Manfred "Mannie" Bothans is a legend in my Star Wars RPG tabletop groups.

Sounds like Legends bullshit to me.

freethought fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jan 16, 2015

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

The Republic's gunships were pretty cool, even though (or maybe because) it's just a Hind gunship with the tail cut off and some wings slapped on.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The space ship designs are the one thing that is consistently good in Star Wars, ignoring a couple of the really bad ones like the E Wing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I didn't know the new Star Wars came out Wednesday so when I went to the shop today they were all sold out of the nice variant cover. :(

• Locked thread