Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I like flying ships that were actually in the movies. Yeah whatever I know I'm boring. Also Howlrunner and Baron Fel totally own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Obama 2012 posted:

So would a 3-ship list like this one I just put together be a terrible idea?

Royal Guard Pilot (30):
Royal Guard TIE title
Push The Limit
Stealth Device
Targeting Computer

Royal Guard Pilot (30):
Royal Guard TIE title
Push The Limit
Stealth Device
Targeting Computer

Colonel Vessery (40):
Ion Cannon
Wingman

It seemed to me there must be some utility to the Royal Guard title, so I thought I'd give it a try--Targeting Computers are added purely to cater to Vessery's ability. I've played little with Imperial lists though, so if you're welcome to help save me from having to learn the hard way.

I honestly wouldn't bother with Wingman. Squints are great at clearing stress anyway. I'm not huge on Stealth devices in general, so I'd drop the EPT from Vessery in order to get shield upgrades on your guards. Otherwise it's solid for what you're trying to do, which is force your opponents to pick between the target they know they can predict and the target that will really gently caress them up.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Gammatron 64 posted:

I like flying ships that were actually in the movies. Yeah whatever I know I'm boring. Also Howlrunner and Baron Fel totally own.

Leo Showers posted:

Sucks to have a wrong opinion, friendo.

The best missions were where you were flying TIE Fighters.

Strobe posted:

I really like it when Imps bring the "high tech hot poo poo". So much easier to kill than swarms.

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

I'm sorry I played way too much tie fighter, so I don't give a gently caress about primitive tie fighters, it's all about the high tech hot poo poo.

When are they going to add Tie Uglies, Missile boats, or Assault gunboats?

"Anger, fear, aggression; the dark side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.”

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The Sisko is of Bajor should be playing Attack Wing

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
But that requires you to put up with retarded Borg poo poo.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

General Battuta posted:

The Sisko is of Bajor should be playing Attack Wing

I've heard nothing but middling reviews of that game plus the ships aren't on the same quality of production as X-Wing. Plus in every game store I've been to in the area the game gathers dust on the shelves and I have not seen a single person playing it.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Nobody should actually be playing Attack Wing

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Have fun collecting all the exclusive and OP stuff for AW if you haven't been playing since the beginning or couldn't go to GenCon. Even the sales area there was a mess compared to the easy system used for x-wing.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
so worse ship? Hwk or advanced?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

I'd say any Advanced that isn't Vader is the worst.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Carteret posted:

I played a quick game with my brother yesterday and Id have to agree with this , though I did read an article somewhere that the new big ship comes with some stuff that will make it better.

vvvv this

The Sisko fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 16, 2015

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Carteret posted:

Not after the Raider. ATCs look loving sweet, and Advanceds with free FCS or Adv Sensors are also pretty sweet.

Battuta, are you playing your games this weekend, or did they already happen? If they haven't happened yet, I highly suggest trying to get a feel for the maneuver templates and how they leave your ships relatively positioned. I showed the game to a couple new folks on Tuesday and they kept bumping all game long because they didn't quite get the template interaction.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

bunnyofdoom posted:

The Hwk has Roark, which serves me very well every time I use that pilot. Long range (and better) Swarm Tactics is awesome. Yeah, their dial and stats kind of suck, but I throw an ion cannon turret on it and spend the whole time staying on the outskirts and ionizing poo poo. Since pretty much no one ever uses the Hwk, it's almost as if opponents forget it exists which suits me just fine.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
TIE Advanced going to be good with the x1 Title + Adv Targeting Computer or Accuracy Corrector.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I got to do my first dial selection for an opponent who picked a red action while stressed. It swung an almost certain loss to a victory.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Jan Ors on the HWK is pretty nice if used in certain lists and I've seen her used quite a few times to good effect.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Been having a hilarious time flying Col Vessery / Cmdr. Kenkirk.

The good Col has Ruthlessness and Cluster Missiles for a hell of a surprise alpha strike, while Kenkirk has Isard/Captive/Gunner and determination, leaving him free to target lock for Vessery until the Col blows up (he always does first) and then play keep away at range 3 with focus/evade and (hopefully) 2 dice, while gunner does its thing.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Just played my first real full game against the SO. General thoughts are that holy poo poo I need a Plano to store all these dials and ship info things.

Least valuable unit went to my awing for flying around and never getting to shoot poo poo because I suck at maneuvering.

MVP goes to my boyfriends Defender, which one shot my a wing. 2 damage 1 crit (the damage card I got was the 2 damage one).

Halfway through the game I realized that putting proton torpedo's on a unit with heavy laser was worthless. Oops.bwing shot a bunch but never landed any kills. Xwing did the most solid, and it was a rookie!

The shuttle base seemed a little wobbly. Is this normal?

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jan 16, 2015

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Leo Showers posted:

TIE Advanced going to be good with the x1 Title + Adv Targeting Computer or Accuracy Corrector.

If you want to go down that rabbit hole, Team Covenant has an article up exploring the many fiendish new possibilities the updated TIE Advanced cards open up. From the article:

Team Covenant posted:

Darth Vader — TIE Advanced 29
Ruthlessness 3
Cluster Missiles 4
Accuracy Corrector 0
Engine Upgrade 4
TIE/x1 0

Vader is terrifying here. Every attack he makes gets 2 Hits. Any successful attack causes another ship damage. Cluster Missiles allows 2 attacks with at least 4 hits. He can focus/evade or boost/barrel roll every turn without losing offensive power. Exactly the type of existential threat Vader should be.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Just played my first real full game against the SO. General thoughts are that holy poo poo I need a Plano to store all these dials and ship info things.

Least valuable unit went to my awing for flying around and never getting to shoot poo poo because I suck at maneuvering.

MVP goes to my boyfriends Defender, which one shot my a wing. 2 damage 1 crit (the damage card I got was the 2 damage one).

Halfway through the game I realized that putting proton torpedo's on a unit with heavy laser was worthless. Oops.bwing shot a bunch but never landed any kills. Xwing did the most solid, and it was a rookie!

The shuttle base seemed a little wobbly. Is this normal?

Sad to hear your A-wing under performed for you, don't give up on it! It sounds like you have Rebel Aces, if you do give it a go with Push the Limit and Jake (the Snake). Don't be afraid to boost AND barrel roll in one turn, you get a free focus and the A-wing is pretty good for green maneuvers to dump stress.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Jake believes in you:

This would be pretty funny as alt card art. Although I faintly hate Jake after he let die rookie after rookie against crystals/canyon walls.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Phrosphor posted:

Sad to hear your A-wing under performed for you, don't give up on it! It sounds like you have Rebel Aces, if you do give it a go with Push the Limit and Jake (the Snake). Don't be afraid to boost AND barrel roll in one turn, you get a free focus and the A-wing is pretty good for green maneuvers to dump stress.

I am just really bad at maneuvering on space. My a wing had outmanuever so I kept trying to do fancy flying poo poo and just ended up not being able to shoot anything. Tips on general flying would help.

Rebel aces did not come with push the limit so I didn't have that. I will proxy it next game.

Next time I'll just proxy all the poo poo I don't have from the general a wing and b wing packs by just printing out a full rule list of how my ships are built. Also probably need to avoid dumping so many points into my bwing. The crew add-on in aces makes it so easy though.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I started painting my YT-2400. I won't go crazy on it like I did the falcon and will focus on tightening my NMM technique. It's much more reserved but even outlining some of the wires in the exposed compartment makes it look good. I will prob do OSL on a bunch of places to make it look interesting. Still thinking about canopy color. Haven't touched that area yet.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I am just really bad at maneuvering on space. My a wing had outmanuever so I kept trying to do fancy flying poo poo and just ended up not being able to shoot anything. Tips on general flying would help.

Rebel aces did not come with push the limit so I didn't have that. I will proxy it next game.

Next time I'll just proxy all the poo poo I don't have from the general a wing and b wing packs by just printing out a full rule list of how my ships are built. Also probably need to avoid dumping so many points into my bwing. The crew add-on in aces makes it so easy though.

Oh poo poo, sorry I forgot that it was Imperial Aces that had PTL. Bad advice on my part.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

Am I reading this right--if I have Advanced Sensors and Push the Limit on the same ship, can I in one movement phase take an action, take another action for one stress, then reveal a green maneuver on my dial and immediately lose that stress?

I haven't heard of or noticed anyone using this trick, but it looks legal based on the card texts and seems pretty powerful.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

That is allowed, yes. Usually not done because Keyan wants the stress, Tycho doesn't care, or Baron Fel doesn't have a sensor slot or else he might totally do it. Whisper and Echo won't due to the FCS.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

Chill la Chill posted:

That is allowed, yes. Usually not done because Keyan wants the stress, Tycho doesn't care, or Baron Fel doesn't have a sensor slot or else he might totally do it. Whisper and Echo won't due to the FCS.

I'm specifically thinking of Nera Dantels with Advanced Proton Torpedoes, since they're finicky and are kind of a waste unless you have both a target lock and a focus when you shoot. The double actions let you get both at once, and the sensors let you do so before movement which negates the threat of low PS enemy ships cock-blocking your actions at the close ranges necessary to hit. Being able to dump the stress right away is just a bonus, but an important one.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yes it's decent for what it is. The sad problem with Nera, as I'd love to use her more myself, is that she's stuck in that middle PS band that's really awkward.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Just saw some pics (not mine) of the cheapest material option (strong/white) for shapeways minis: they look kind of bad:

Frosted Ultra Detail were much better but you still need to clean them.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I guess FFG doesn't have to worry about shapeways for a while.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

The Sisko posted:

I've heard nothing but middling reviews of that game plus the ships aren't on the same quality of production as X-Wing. Plus in every game store I've been to in the area the game gathers dust on the shelves and I have not seen a single person playing it.

General Battuta posted:

Nobody should actually be playing Attack Wing

Nobody plays X Wing in my area, its only Attack Wing. Or the D&D one. Its a depressing state of affairs, since I'd love to get a chance to play more often.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
The DND one looks vaguely interesting since it has ground forces vs dragons but not enough to buy it.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
My local shop has got back in stock Slave 1.

Now i just need to come up with some good lists for it. Are Ints a better option to back it up or just Fighters?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I am having fun right now with BH + HLC and Decimator + crew stuff

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Anyone else have a chance to run XXXZZZ? I had a lot of success against a Keyan, Dagger, Green, Biggs list, but it may have been an outlier. As a tanky swarm, does it have any advantages to just running TIEs instead?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Tekopo posted:

Just saw some pics (not mine) of the cheapest material option (strong/white) for shapeways minis: they look kind of bad:

Frosted Ultra Detail were much better but you still need to clean them.

Jesus, I thought that was carved out of snow for a minute.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Jesus, I thought that was carved out of snow for a minute.

That's clearly soap.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Ville Valo posted:

That's clearly soap.

Its how John Dillinger escaped from space prison.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Got my first game in today. Me and my roommate faced off against each other. two academy pilots vs two bandit squadrons. It was a tight tight game. I was running imps. On turn 2 I managed to strip the shields and cause a crit on one of his zs. Unfortunately, it was injured pilot so nothing really happened. Said z-95 ended up being the only ship left on the field with that one hit point. It also got both kills. His other one died when he accidently ran it off the table. The end of the game was a range one joust between his 1 hp z95 and my 1 hp tie. Great fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
I just went to my first casual tournament and people weren't kidding about how chill the X-wing crowd is. I got clobbered silly but everyone was really nice, took the time to explain things and was just aggressively friendly. I think I got invited to the local facebook group twice and to the next tournament more times than I can count.

I do have a question about running TIE fighters.

I went in with:

Howlrunner, Mauler, Backstabber, Dark Curse and one interceptor, Carnor Jax. Jax had PTL and the others had a sprinkling of upgrades that ended up never being used (except for Draw Their Fire on Mauler which ended up being far better than I thought).

The MVP was actually Dark Curse for proving incredibly difficult to kill. He looked terrible on paper but with all the Predator upgrades and Hans out there.... The one that stood out as least valued player was actually Jax. He's awkward to coordinate with a swarm since he needs to get into the thick of things without somehow blocking or getting blocked, and PTL is a waste when you keep screwing up and ramming him into things.

So I was thinking he could get switched out and replaced by two Black Squadron pilots (or one black squadron and one Winged Gundark). That would give me 6 TIEs with 3-4 available elite upgrades. Draw Their Fire on a Black Squadron guy seems like a no brainer which would leave me with 3-4 points available. Howl could take Elusive although it isn't really that awesome. Swarm tactics seems equally meh. Are there any other go-to upgrades for TIE swarm-lites? I guess I could put Predator on one of the Black Squadron guys to increase overall firepower? Ideally I'd have Draw Their Fire on everyone but somehow buying 3 Falcons doesn't seem quite worth it.

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 18, 2015

• Locked thread