Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
IIRC Mercadian Merfolk (like the Vizier on Brainstorm) look more human-like (or at least less fishy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Hey, I was just thinking about this guy the other day! If only Cabal Therapy an instant, he's be the best win condition available for Breakfast Burrito. You'd just need to reanimate him with a Goblin Charbelcher and a Feldon's Cane in the graveyard, then sac him at instant speed in response to his first ability.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I can't wait to play an Arcbond against a Tokens player who tries to Stoke or Strike one of my mana dorks.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm thinking of switching from UW to UB control when FRF is released so I can play Ugin. Anyone care to guess whether Perilous Vault will still be maindecked in UB control after Crux of Fate is legal? I don't want to drop so many tickets on it if it's not going to be played.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

forbidden lesbian posted:

I don't but looking at the MTG site the rule says something about the archenemy being bolstered by his schemes so I imagine that was the joke.

I am not amused.

It was like that since before FRF came out. The rules from June 1st 2014 have it as bolstered. Maybe he'd changed it before that? Or maybe the new rules aren't out yet.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Serperoth posted:

It was like that since before FRF came out. The rules from June 1st 2014 have it as bolstered. Maybe he'd changed it before that? Or maybe the new rules aren't out yet.

Maybe he changed it back then but didn't mention it until now, who knows :shrug:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I will never understand MODO players who send you tells as salty as the Red Sea when you beat them on a "topdeck," e.g. a Lightning Strike for lethal. The entire loving game is random luck, whether it comes in the form of a topdeck or drawing a better hand than your opponent in the first place.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Angry Grimace posted:

I will never understand MODO players who send you tells as salty as the Red Sea when you beat them on a "topdeck," e.g. a Lightning Strike for lethal. The entire loving game is random luck, whether it comes in the form of a topdeck or drawing a better hand than your opponent in the first place.

No man you don't get it. The whole world's a yu-gi-oh and they're the ones with an ancient egyptian wizard king in their brain hole.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

forbidden lesbian posted:

Maybe he changed it back then but didn't mention it until now, who knows :shrug:

The new Comprehensive Rules haven't been released yet. You can check the date at the beginning of the document.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

Best part is that, in the vast majority of occasions, it's not just a topdeck, it's you holding onto the game FOR that topdeck. You managed to get them down to 3 life, that's a part of the game right there.

Then again I still am salty about Denmark topdecking like crazy versus Greece's lack of mana in the World Magic Cup finals, so I might not be the best source of info on that.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I don't get what they were thinking when they designed Jeskai Ascendancy.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 16, 2015

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Applebees posted:

The new Comprehensive Rules haven't been released yet. You can check the date at the beginning of the document.

Oh I see that now :sweatdrop:

notbrant
Jul 1, 2003

Angry Grimace posted:

I love holding onto my win for a few turns and pretend to top deck it.

This is only slightly less douchy than any rear end in a top hat playing a legacy deck that takes more than 90 seconds to complete 1 turn.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't get what they were thinking when they designed Jeskai Ascendancy.
I really don't either. One of the set reviews just straight up asked why Sultai Ascendancy is missing a second ability, but why does Jeskai Ascendancy essentially have three that all feed each other? Weird card.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The decks I have built are almost all crazy stuff like Breakfast Burrito, Dredge, Thought Lash combo, Homelands Stax, and mono-U Tron. I want to just make a regular deck that goes up against other regular decks and is suitable for Planechase so I can play it in a casual environment.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Chamale posted:

The decks I have built are almost all crazy stuff like Breakfast Burrito, Dredge, Thought Lash combo, Homelands Stax, and mono-U Tron. I want to just make a regular deck that goes up against other regular decks and is suitable for Planechase so I can play it in a casual environment.

Either Minotaur Tribal or Leylines.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Standstill ninjas is the best casual deck

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Lancelot posted:

I'm thinking of switching from UW to UB control when FRF is released so I can play Ugin. Anyone care to guess whether Perilous Vault will still be maindecked in UB control after Crux of Fate is legal? I don't want to drop so many tickets on it if it's not going to be played.

Why can't you play Ugin in UW control?

Also Perilous Vault will probably still be useful because it doesn't enable delve, gets around indestructible (which can be an issue in UW Heroic and Sidisi Whip) and hits enchantments, artifacts and planeswalkers.

Also go esper control so you can play Elspeth and Sorin.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Also Perilous Vault will probably still be useful because it doesn't enable delve, gets around indestructible (which can be an issue in UW Heroic and Sidisi Whip) and hits enchantments, artifacts and planeswalkers.

Also go esper control so you can play Elspeth and Sorin.

I think the reason Esper Control is rarer than straight U/B control is that the mana in Standard isn't nearly as good as it was when we had shocklands.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
As long as Stormbreath Dragon is a card I can't imagine UB control giving up Perilous Vault.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah I mean it isn't like black can remove a 4/4 dragon with protection from white?

Wait what? I do imagine people will still use some amount of vaults but I don't see where stormbreath comes in.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I would say because your spot removal is enchantment based it gets blanked pretty hard by Ugins minus. A bit like how UW control had to drop D-Sphere when it wanted to run the instant sweeper that kills enchantments.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah I mean it isn't like black can remove a 4/4 dragon with protection from white?

Wait what? I do imagine people will still use some amount of vaults but I don't see where stormbreath comes in.

Crux of Fate just looks like a really silly card when the board state consists of some combination of Stormbreath and any other threat (Ashcloud, Polukranos, Xenagos, Shaman of the Great Hunt, etc).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Chamale posted:

Turbofog. I'm also going to need a decklist for that Homelands Stax, TIA

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

I think the reason Esper Control is rarer than straight U/B control is that the mana in Standard isn't nearly as good as it was when we had shocklands.

Oh, yeah, it's definitely harder to stretch and the lack of consistency hurts it. I was mostly being a jackass and also I just like esper generally and think the current standard iteration of UB control is probably one of the most boring ever.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
Is SCG Premium a cash grab like Patrick Chapin's Next Level Magic? Considering trying the premium for the articles but after buying that book I've got a pretty bitter taste in my mouth. The book was poo poo, the writing was poo poo, the content was poo poo, and it was overpriced.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I'm really curious about Esper control, but you want UU and 1UU for Nullify and Dissolve, plus 1BB for Hero's Downfall (and maybe BB for Bile Blight), and then eventually WW for End Hostilies and Elspeth. The mana just seems too wonky without playing like 12 temples.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Lancelot posted:

The mana just seems too wonky without playing like 12 temples.

9-12!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I wish there were more repeatable bolster effect. I know that would probably be broken in a real deck, but I want to build a janky GWU deck with Ajani, Mentor, Hardened Scales, Dragonscale General, and Sage of Hours. :v:

Edit:
So, here's what I have to work with that is usable.
Ajani, Mentor of Heroes
High Sentinels of Arashin
Citadel Siege
Dragonscale General
Hardened Scales

Throw a mana dork package in there and some white removal, and maybe I can trick people into tapping out before dropping Sage of Hours on them.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 16, 2015

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Angry Grimace posted:

I had a guy salt at me about a topdeck right after topdecking his own bonfire to save him from lethal.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

morning wood posted:

Is SCG Premium a cash grab like Patrick Chapin's Next Level Magic? Considering trying the premium for the articles but after buying that book I've got a pretty bitter taste in my mouth. The book was poo poo, the writing was poo poo, the content was poo poo, and it was overpriced.

Some of the articles are interesting but not at the prices they charge. If you go to an IQ you get free time. You can also get it by answering trivia questions on their streams.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

I wish there were more repeatable bolster effect. I know that would probably be broken in a real deck, but I want to build a janky GWU deck with Ajani, Mentor, Hardened Scales, Dragonscale General, and Sage of Hours. :v

Edit:
So, here's what I have to work with that is usable.
Ajani, Mentor of Heroes
High Sentinels of Arashin
Citadel Siege
Dragonscale General
Hardened Scales

Throw a mana dork package in there and some white removal, and maybe I can trick people into tapping out before dropping Sage of Hours on them.

Citadel siege, sage of hours and Ajani.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

morning wood posted:

I got 3 months of Premium from an IQ and was surprised at how much I liked it. If you're someone who reads every CFB article/watches every video and just can't get enough, it's basically more of the same - whether that's worth $10/month is up to you. There's definitely some filler articles with wacky Chromanticore brews, but for the most part it's solid.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Angry Grimace posted:

Citadel siege, sage of hours and Ajani.

Perfect curve: Tap Land -> Sylvan Caryatid/Rattleclaw Mystic -> Citadel Siege -> Ajani + ??? -> Sage of Hours -> ??? -> Profit

Kill conditions could be a couple Elspeth in the deck, I guess.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Chamale posted:

Basically anything Tribal that isn't Wizards will be pretty fair. Goblins and Elves are obviously better than most others. I'd say something like Minotaurs or Naya Centaurs (Naya gets you cool/helpful stuff like Fanatic of Xenagos, Stonebrow, and Call of the Conclave) could be fun.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

It's funny that so many people wanted Chord of Calling reprinted. And then nobody played it.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

It's funny that so many people wanted Chord of Calling reprinted. And then nobody played it.

I got the two copies I need for Pod for relatively cheap compared to the $40+ they were before reprint, so I'm happy about it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Angry Grimace posted:

If I played standard, I'd play it. RG Bees is the sweetest deck.

morning wood posted:

I used my free month from GPNJ a month and a half ago. I think I read like 4 premium articles the whole time, and only actually cared about 2. If you play standard it might be better, but it was totally worthless to me.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
It's true nobody played it but RG Chord is a super fun and powerful deck if you don't have a ton of Whip in your meta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

The card is powerful, just not in this Standard.

• Locked thread