Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Fast Luck posted:

I wouldn't mind seeing him get a legit chance to start. JT Barrett is great, probably more polished, but Cardale's ability to flick it 50 yards down the field really seemed to open the offense up. I figure if Cardale starts for a season, he'll definitely jump pro if he succeeds, and then Barrett is your starter again, or if he fails, Barrett is your starter again. I'd like to see Barrett get some run even if he's the backup, though. Swap QBs for a play here and there, or run some sets with both of them. Braxton should obviously transfer.

Honestly, the parallel I came up with was a Leak/Tebow kind of dynamic. Barrett is really good playing short and intermediate and is arguably a more polished passer in the Leak mold. Cardale is a truck with a cannon like Tebow. Is it a perfect comparison? No. But you could easily get them both a lot of snaps that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines
So Urbz celebrates the end of the tattoo-related sanctions by promising to get a tattoo, now this...

@TheFakeLantern: Cardale Jones, Legend, Skips Class To Announce He's Returning To Class

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

That's true. But the difference in salary between a round 1/2 guy and a round 6/7 guy is really significant. I think if you're Cardale, you have to trust in yourself and your abilities to go out and win the starting job next year.

edit: or this

TheGreyGhost posted:

Honestly, the parallel I came up with was a Leak/Tebow kind of dynamic. Barrett is really good playing short and intermediate and is arguably a more polished passer in the Leak mold. Cardale is a truck with a cannon like Tebow. Is it a perfect comparison? No. But you could easily get them both a lot of snaps that way.

Either way, there's no way that Meyer doesn't give him snaps.

Komet fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 15, 2015

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Cardale Jones will never be more famous and successful then he was a 4pm today.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
Cardale's roommate with a hot take.

:allears:

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

korrandark posted:

Haha, I love this drat team.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Komet posted:

Someone might take a chance and draft Cardale in the lower rounds, but he could start next year and improve his stock pretty dramatically.

You would have to be a damned idiot to draft a Urban Meyer qb in the 1st round.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Winkie01 posted:

You would have to be a damned idiot to draft a Urban Meyer qb in the 1st round.
Meyer and the offensive system he runs does absolutely nothing to prepare quarterbacks for the NFL. Never has, never will, and he is absolutely unapologetic for it. Alex Smith is probably the best NFL prospect he will ever produce.

So... you know. Everyone should keep that all in mind.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Alex Smith is also better than 95% of qb's drafted in any given year.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

JT Jag posted:

Alex Smith is probably the best NFL prospect he will ever produce.

And from what I've heard, most of that was really down to Dan Mullen.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Eltoasto posted:

It also took him four whole years before he became even close to a serviceable starting quarterback, six years before he became 'kinda good'. Meyer QBs aren't NFL ready out of the box.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

JT Jag posted:

It also took him four whole years before he became even close to a serviceable starting quarterback, six years before he became 'kinda good'. Meyer QBs aren't NFL ready out of the box.

I agree. I think declaring was the best decision. But I can't be upset for wanting to stay in school and troll the media.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

korrandark posted:

god damnit, i'm not supposed to like a player on loving Ohio State.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Eltoasto posted:

Yeah, you can thank Jim Harbaugh for the reason that Alex Smith is still in the NFL, too.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Regnevelc posted:

Yeah, you can thank Jim Harbaugh for the reason that Alex Smith is still in the NFL, too.

I'll try to slip that in while thanking him for making Luck good.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Eltoasto posted:

I'll try to slip that in while thanking him for making Luck good.

:hfive:

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Shane Morris future NFL superstar???

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Shane Morris future NFL superstar???

I don't think Morris starts next year. I think it'll be Wilton Speight.

HarlanHell
Nov 16, 2012

Nevermind that shit here comes Mingo!
Now all we need is Braxton to stay, and we'll have a super fun juggernaut that runs the wishbone with with Miller, JT, Cardale, and Zeke rotating.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

JT Jag posted:

Meyer and the offensive system he runs does absolutely nothing to prepare quarterbacks for the NFL. Never has, never will, and he is absolutely unapologetic for it. Alex Smith is probably the best NFL prospect he will ever produce.

So... you know. Everyone should keep that all in mind.

I mean, the top teams in college ball right now in general aren't on a great run with QBs especially those programs winning championships or contending recently.

Bama has given the world John Parker Wilson, McElroy, and McCarron.
USC gave us Leinart, Booty, Sanchez, and Barkley.
LSU...hahahahaha.
Texas gave us Young and McCoy.
FSU is counting on Winston to correct a string of busts in Manuel, Ponder, Lee.
Florida under Meyer had Leak then Tebow then Brantley.
Georgia had Stafford surrounded by a bunch of busts around him.
Ohio State has had Smith and Pryor surrounded by the awfulness of Zwick, Boeckman, and Bauserman.
Oregon gave us Masoli and Darron Thomas...lol
Oklahoma has given us Bradford, Jones, and a serious of miserable busts otherwise
Auburn gave us Newton and a bunch of garbage

The only teams on that list that have given us a QB with any staying power are Georgia (Stafford) and Auburn (Newton), both in polar opposite systems. The best rookie QB of the last decade at least came from Stanford of all places.

The best QBs in the NFL right now come from Tennessee, Michigan, Cal, Eastern Illinois, Wisconsin, Stanford, NC State, Purdue, Boston College, Ole Miss, Nevada, USC (Palmer haha), Delaware, Texas A&M (Tannehill), TCU, and maybe Baylor? Maybe Alex Smith from Utah is up there? The fact is, successful college systems are concerned with winning in college not merely NFL prep. And making it as a QB in the NFL is a crap shoot as is. All these traditional powers have been basically a graveyard of pro QBs.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mahoning posted:

If Cardale gets a college degree it will be the most :unsmith: thing ever. The story about him in Sports Illustrated really made me like him a lot. I know a ton of CFB players come from poverty but his story really got to me. Maybe because he's from NE Ohio.

Counterpoint:

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Regnevelc posted:

I don't think Morris starts next year. I think it'll be Wilton Speight.

Five Star Superstar Shane Morris is the future of Michigan football and you better get on board that bandwagon before it flies 4 yards short of you into the ground.

Thoguh posted:

Counterpoint:

He's right tho

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Detroit_Dogg posted:

He's right tho

Yeah, gently caress ohio state, and he's an idiot for saying that publicly, but he's not wrong.

Granted, 18 year old kid saying a dumb thing on twitter is pretty "film at 11" at this point.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHzGJJi_l6c

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Thoguh posted:

Counterpoint:

That's actually partly why I like him.....he seems to have come a long way since then.

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

That dude's eyebrows

:eyepop:

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Mahoning posted:

If Cardale gets a college degree it will be the most :unsmith: thing ever. The story about him in Sports Illustrated really made me like him a lot. I know a ton of CFB players come from poverty but his story really got to me. Maybe because he's from NE Ohio.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
ESPN ranked the conferences

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/101271/pac-12-tops-final-conference-rankings

lol

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
urban meyer makes rad college qbs which is way cooler and more important

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Groucho Marxist posted:

urban meyer makes rad college qbs which is way cooler and more important

Yeah this. I'd rather watch college Tommie Frazier or Vince Young than NFL Peyton Manning or Tom Brady any day.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Are we sure Cardale Jones isn't a 40 year old man?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Komet posted:

Are we sure Cardale Jones isn't a 40 year old man?
I bet you said the same thing about LeBron James when he was 22. Racist.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

TheGreyGhost posted:

he best QBs in the NFL right now come from Tennessee, Michigan, Cal, Eastern Illinois, Wisconsin, Stanford, NC State, Purdue, Boston College, Ole Miss, Nevada, USC (Palmer haha), Delaware, Texas A&M (Tannehill), TCU, and maybe Baylor? Maybe Alex Smith from Utah is up there? The fact is, successful college systems are concerned with winning in college not merely NFL prep. And making it as a QB in the NFL is a crap shoot as is. All these traditional powers have been basically a graveyard of pro QBs.

Miami of Ohio, the native land of the Roethlisberger, who is statistically absurd for reasons that will never make any sense.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Josh Cribbs and Julian Edelman are both having phenomenal careers and they're both MAC quarterbacks.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
I wouldn't say phenomenal for Cribbs, but very good at his specialization.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
He's going to go down as one of the best kick returners to ever play, that's a pretty dang good career.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I say Cribbs counts as phenomenal because that means I can count Brad Smith as phenomenal.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Detroit_Dogg posted:

He's going to go down as one of the best kick returners to ever play, that's a pretty dang good career.

Maybe if he didn't play at the same time as Hester he would, but he is going to be overshadowed by him.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Hester is more well known for his punt returning than kick returning tho, also Cribbs is way cooler and better and probably more handsome if you're into that type of thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Lots of really upset NFL guys calling Cardale selfish:http://deadspin.com/dumb-people-are...dium=socialflow

• Locked thread