Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I think I found literally every green star except for 1 maybe in both 3D land and World myself without a guide. The 1 was some bullshit where you had to jump on a flying block without hitting it and ride it for like 30 seconds to the green star. Bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

mario is kind of like dark souls 2 aka the best game of all time

Mario is the Dark Souls 2 to Donkey Kong Country's Demon's Souls.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

mario is kind of like dark souls 2 aka the best game of all time

Mario does have a pretty good quantity of skeletons in it so basically yeah

Edit: Dry Bowser is exactly my poo poo

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Twilkitri posted:

Invisible blocks shimmer if you ground-pound in their general vicinity, don't they?

Also if you blow in the microphone

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

please remove these gimmicks from my vicinity

*goes back to off-tv play on the gamepad*

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

If you have trouble tracking treasure you can scream in the microphone WHERE IS THE TREASURE and sometimes it will reveal itself to you.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

If you have trouble tracking treasure you can scream in the microphone WHERE IS THE TREASURE and sometimes it will reveal itself to you.

protip

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Did not know that a ground pound occasionally shows the location. Thank ye.

I wasn't bitching about the existence of invisible blocks, just Nintendo's arbitrary "you only get this feature if you use one particular control method" design.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
So I'm pretty freaking excited.

I haven't played a Nintendo console since the Gamecube. And my 3DS has been an Animal Crossing New Leaf machine since it came out. But I'm really happy that I have a whole new consoles worth of games to try out now. This was just an early birthday present, but I plan on buying more stuff for myself soon.

So far my purchase plans are:

Mario Kart
Super Smash Brothers + Samus Amiibo
Metroid Prime Trilogy (AS SOON AS IT COMES OUT I AM NOT LETTING IT GET AWAY)
Bayoneta 2
Pikmin 3
ZombiU (maybe)

Am I missing anything? I know Splatoon looks pretty great. But from the games I listed are there any accessories that I really need to get soon or with certain games? Like the classic controller for Smash Brothers? I also have some Wii stuff and games, like Wii-mote and analog attachment. Also have LoZ: Twilight Princess and Wii Fit I'd really like to actually play this time. How well does the Wii U play Wii games?

So yeah, need to know what's coming out/what to get, what accessories I should be looking at and how well Wii games work. The last part because I own a Wii but never played it outside of Wii Fit. So I have a whole library of Wii games I never played.

Thanks in advance, hope the post wasn't too awful. Kind of unable to contain an excitement I thought I lost during my childhood. Something about Nintendo links with pure happiness.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

KillGizmo posted:

This might be a dumb question so please bare with me. I'm looking to get a USB drive to add some space to my Wii U. If for some reason that drive dies on me in the future will the Store know I've bought the game in the past and let me redownload it?

I noticed when I hooked up a lovely laptop drive enclosure (which I'm replacing soon with a proper AC powered external) that I was forced to put my game saves on the same drive as the downloaded games. So if you think a drive is going to die anytime soon, make sure you move them to another storage device or you may lose your saves. In a pinch, you can delete the game/DLC data and move the save to the internal memory.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

looks like you bought a ps4 game on accident there. understandable, since they both have blue boxes

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Ularg posted:

Am I missing anything?

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
You can get two of the best 3D Mario games for under $60 right now on the eShop, get those.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Ularg posted:

Am I missing anything?

Check out the demo for Wonderful 101 and see if you like it- game takes a while to click but if you like character action-type games you should like it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ularg posted:

So I'm pretty freaking excited.

I haven't played a Nintendo console since the Gamecube. And my 3DS has been an Animal Crossing New Leaf machine since it came out. But I'm really happy that I have a whole new consoles worth of games to try out now. This was just an early birthday present, but I plan on buying more stuff for myself soon.

So far my purchase plans are:

Mario Kart
Super Smash Brothers + Samus Amiibo
Metroid Prime Trilogy (AS SOON AS IT COMES OUT I AM NOT LETTING IT GET AWAY)
Bayoneta 2
Pikmin 3
ZombiU (maybe)

Am I missing anything?

Just about every first/second party Wii U game is great and worth owning. There's also a newer Wii Fit U game that lets you use the same balance board that came with the Wii one.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Monkey Fracas posted:

Check out the demo for Wonderful 101 and see if you like it- game takes a while to click but if you like character action-type games you should like it.

Be warned the demo leaves a lot for you to figure out as the player, so you'll probably be bad at it and hate it. At least at first.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

SeANMcBAY posted:

Just about every first/second party Wii U game is great and worth owning. There's also a newer Wii Fit U game that lets you use the same balance board that came with the Wii one.

What if I never got the balance board? Do I need it or is it woods separately?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the Wiiu editions of Deus Ex HR and Tekken Tag 2 are the definitive ones, those are def worth picking up (Deus Ex doesn't run perfectly but well enough, while TTT2 is just beautiful) Darksiders 2 isn't too bad, either. Prepare to download Pikmin 3 because physical copies are nonexistent unless you plunk down $70+ on ebay.

DKC:TF already was mentioned but I can't stress hard enough that this is the best platform game ever, besides Shovel Knight which is on WiiU if you don't have a 3DS/Steam/want to just chill with offscreen play.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Darksiders II has a few graphical changes too. There are less tress/plant objects in the hub areas but the draw distance is further with some slight graphical improvements.

TTT2, if you want to be really technical, cheats a few of the particle effects in such a way that they don't look quite as nice as on the other systems, but it's still the best version because they added in the goofy Nintendo themed stuff/mode and everything in the game is unlocked from the outset. I hate unlocking characters/costumes/stuff in fighting games so that's a huge plus.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Are there any collectathon style platforms like Spyro or Banjo on the WiiU or any planned. After having 100% Lego City my need to collect useless baubles is starting to itch again
Following that criteria, the best answer you're going to get is probably A Hat in Time and Lobodestroyo. Neither of these games are exclusive to the Wii U, but both of them are planned for release on the system, and they are very much collectathons in the vein of Banjo and older 3D Mario games.

In terms of general 3D platformers, the only Wii U exclusive is Super Mario 3D World, though you could fudge that a little and say that Splatoon is on the way, as well.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

If you're planning on playing local multiplayer, especially Wii-Sportsish "family/significant other" multiplayer, Nintendoland is a lot of fun for a low price.

And download Mario Galaxy 2 for only $10 this week, of course.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Out of curiosity, is "The Wii U gamepad can be used for classic controller" stuff only for VC or does it work for regular games too?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

SeANMcBAY posted:

That's awesome, thank you!

Tender Bender posted:

If you're planning on playing local multiplayer, especially Wii-Sportsish "family/significant other" multiplayer, Nintendoland is a lot of fun for a low price.

And download Mario Galaxy 2 for only $10 this week, of course.

I got Nintendoland with the bundle. But I don't have any local gaming friends. (or many local friends in general :smith:)

And yeah I don't know about the third party titles. I have a Gaming PC, PS3 and PS4 so I've gotten most of my stuff on those.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down

ImpAtom posted:

Out of curiosity, is "The Wii U gamepad can be used for classic controller" stuff only for VC or does it work for regular games too?

Nobody knows for absolute certain, but I'm would imagine the controller just mimics a Classic controller, so anything in the vWii which supports a Classic controller should work fine with it. The real issue here is whether the Pro controller can be used as a classic controller

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I did this a lot and then tried to play with the Pro Controller and kept blowing on my hands.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

elf help book posted:

I did this a lot and then tried to play with the Pro Controller and kept blowing on my hands.

This happened to me when I went from New Super Mario Bros Wii to NSMB2 and 3D Land. I kept shaking the 3DS to try to get a boost

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Anyone have any recommendations on tablet batteries? Is there a certain one I should get?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Gammatron 64 posted:

What if I never got the balance board? Do I need it or is it woods separately?

They sell it with Wii Fit U in a bundle. You can also easily find a cheap one that was used once on CL.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Overbite posted:

Anyone have any recommendations on tablet batteries? Is there a certain one I should get?

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?productId=prod150204

I don't know if you can find them anywhere cheaper.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

How is Galaxy 2? Is it the kind of Mario game where you gotta dig for hidden stuff or more like 3D World? (Just get from pint A to B)

Also, I know I asked this before but, I wanna try some of the GBA VC Castlevania games. Which ones are good?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

How is Galaxy 2? Is it the kind of Mario game where you gotta dig for hidden stuff or more like 3D World? (Just get from pint A to B)

Point A to B. There's a bunch of worlds with a certain number of stars, you pick a star, it sets you on a section of the level and says "go ye and nab that star." Continue until game completion.

There's also a bunch of stars hidden behind secret objectives on some paths (they're usually gated behind a critter you need to feed a certain number of coins to in order to unlock the way). Then there's the Green Stars, which are an awful horrible no-good very bad idea that you should not indulge ever. There's fifty of them scattered throughout every world and you're given no indication of where they are besides a pinging sound and they only unlock after you beat the game anyway so they can be safely avoided.

The first Galaxy's better than the second on the whole I think, Galaxy 2's one decent idea was Yoshi and the rest it cribbed from the first.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

Also, I know I asked this before but, I wanna try some of the GBA VC Castlevania games. Which ones are good?

It's a more A-to-B style game. It's also got almost universally better level design than the first Galaxy (which still had good level design) and is a lot more fun to play as a result.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro
Hmmmm… Do I buy Galaxy 2 despite already owning and 100% it? I'm not above buying games multiple times (I have five different versions of both SMB and Lost Levels). It just seems like a waste of :10bux: when the other version is Power-A-A away.

The same thing's going to happen in 2 weeks with MP:Trilogy with the added bonus of liking the originals better because the big sequence breaks weren't fixed yet.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Humm...I think I am going to hold off on Galaxy 2 then.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Silver95280 posted:

Hmmmm… Do I buy Galaxy 2 despite already owning and 100% it? I'm not above buying games multiple times (I have five different versions of both SMB and Lost Levels). It just seems like a waste of :10bux: when the other version is Power-A-A away.

The same thing's going to happen in 2 weeks with MP:Trilogy with the added bonus of liking the originals better because the big sequence breaks weren't fixed yet.

I'm in the same boat, I have Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 on disc and I can play them anytime I want, but it is SO hard to pass up $10 for such a great game that would just be on my system anytime I wanted it.

Let's see, how many copies of Super Mario Bros and The Lost Levels do I have...

Super Mario Bros:
*Original NES Cartridge (NES)
*Super Mario All Stars (SNES)
*Animal Crossing (Gamecube)
*Super Mario Bros (3DS)
*Mario 25th Anniversary Disc (Wii)
*Super Mario Bros (Wii U)

Lost Levels
*Mario II JPN: The Lost Levels (Wii)

So I have 6 playable copies of "Super Mario Bros" and 3 playable copies of "The Lost Levels."

Wow...

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Silver95280 posted:

Unless having to go into the Wii menu to play it makes you angry, there is no reason to buy Galaxy 2 if you already own it.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Spectacle Rock posted:

I'm in the same boat, I have Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 on disc and I can play them anytime I want, but it is SO hard to pass up $10 for such a great game that would just be on my system anytime I wanted it.

Let's see, how many copies of Super Mario Bros and The Lost Levels do I have...

Super Mario Bros:
*Original NES Cartridge (NES)
*Animal Crossing (Gamecube)
*Super Mario Bros (3DS)
*Super Mario Bros (Wii U)

Lost Levels
*Mario II JPN: The Lost Levels (Wii)

So I have 6 playable copies of "Super Mario Bros" and 3 playable copies of "The Lost Levels."

Wow...

where the hell is super mario deluxe on this list

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Yeah do not buy it if you already own it and especially if you have completed it 100%. Spend that $10 on discovering a new game instead. :)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Buy Metroid Prime Trilogy no matter what, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
So is there anywhere to preorder the Wave 4 amiibos yet? I really want that Ness but I get the feeling it'll be hard to find.

Also, how do Metroid Prime 2 and 3 compare to the first one? I played a friend's copy of Metroid Prime a couple years ago, enjoyed it but I don't think I feel the need to own it or anything.

• Locked thread