Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

FrozenVent posted:

Is this a field where people typically use external recruiters?

Mine isn't, and the last recruiter I dealt with made a dog's breakfast out of a relatively simple career move. I thank my lucky star that I'd specifically instructed them not to do anything with the employer I'm currently with, as I'm pretty sure they've soured the two companies they introduced me to.

wtf is a dog's breakfast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

posh spaz posted:

Something you wouldnt want to eat.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

a dog's breakfast

posh spaz posted:

CarForumPoster posted:

Something you wouldnt want to eat.

:canada:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
A good thread. I suppose no, recruiters wouldn't be super stoked about my field.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
This might be an odd question, but I'm new/figuring out this LinkedIn business.

I just got my Master's in marine biology, and it's asking me for a job title and position. Should I clear it out since I last messed with this when I was an undergraduate (I was stupid and young not to keep it up. Shame on me)? Or is there something I should put in?

The OP was awesome, by the way.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
What's the opinion on putting degrees/qualifications after your name? I can understand if you have a CA, LLB, MBA, PPA, PEng, etc., but I've come across quite a few folks with "Jane Smith, B.Sc." when their job is just something like "Account Manager" or "Recruitment Consultant."

I have a BA and an MPhil, but they're not professional type degrees, and really have no bearing on my particular job.

What's the deal?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I've seen people applying for call centre phone drone jobs with their BSc in art history in their email signature. All it really does is make them look like self important arseholes. Honestly, unless it's a proper professional qualification then I wouldn't bother.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Doctor and esquire are the only titles people give a poo poo about anyway

fyrelore
Jul 30, 2013
So this was kind of asked on the other page, but the answer given wasn't as helpful as I was expecting. How are you supposed to "connect" with others when Linkedin seems to be so strong against connecting with people you don't know? They have a message at the bottom warning you against connecting with people you don't know. I can't choose "I don't know [Name]" because then it'll tell me I can't send a connection request to people I don't know. I can't choose "Other" because it wants the person's email address. My only other options are lying about how I know the person, and I assume it'll be obvious to them when you're lying about being a colleague or classmate.

Is this advice pretty much outdated for new LinkedIn users starting with few/no contacts in their field of interest?

quote:

3. As you join groups, send connection requests to people who seem to be relatively active in each one, as well as every single recruiter who is a member of each group.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Have a default message like "I would like to connect and send a resume" or just spam that connect button with recruiters.

GTGastby
Dec 28, 2006

fyrelore posted:

So this was kind of asked on the other page, but the answer given wasn't as helpful as I was expecting. How are you supposed to "connect" with others when Linkedin seems to be so strong against connecting with people you don't know? They have a message at the bottom warning you against connecting with people you don't know. I can't choose "I don't know [Name]" because then it'll tell me I can't send a connection request to people I don't know. I can't choose "Other" because it wants the person's email address. My only other options are lying about how I know the person, and I assume it'll be obvious to them when you're lying about being a colleague or classmate.

Is this advice pretty much outdated for new LinkedIn users starting with few/no contacts in their field of interest?

There's two different thoughts about linkedin - one is that it's a tool to connect with colleagues and friends in the business world that you actually know and would like to stay in touch with as you move through your career / bounce around companies. That school of thought has been pushed out of this thread, and you are left with the other option - that linkedin is just another recruiting website, so just lie and try to connect to as many random people you don't know as possible and hope for the best.

So to specifically answer your question, no - the advice is current - the other people in the thread think you should just ignore the warning from Linkedin and connect with any random person who is willing to accept your request. Doesn't matter what you put for the connection reason, as you obviously don't know them. I think it's silly.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

GTGastby posted:

There's two different thoughts about linkedin - one is that it's a tool to connect with colleagues and friends in the business world that you actually know and would like to stay in touch with as you move through your career / bounce around companies. That school of thought has been pushed out of this thread, and you are left with the other option - that linkedin is just another recruiting website, so just lie and try to connect to as many random people you don't know as possible and hope for the best.

So to specifically answer your question, no - the advice is current - the other people in the thread think you should just ignore the warning from Linkedin and connect with any random person who is willing to accept your request. Doesn't matter what you put for the connection reason, as you obviously don't know them. I think it's silly.

Pretty much none of this post is accurate to what people on either side in this thread actually think or what the arguments have actually been about.

I'll repeat:

quote:

There seems to be an off-and-on misconception in this thread that you should use LinkedIn to do unethical, irresponsible things, like:

Connect to absolutely everyone and spam out connection requests all the time, forever. No, connect to the people you are interacting with and with the recruiters you want to interact with. People on LinkedIn are not your Facebook friends, so you don't have to "know" them. LinkedIn officially doesn't like LIONs, but in practice they actually encourage this behavior and try to sell you on account upgrades by making it easier to do. You won't get anywhere on LinkedIn if you limit yourself to people you work with/your college friends. They don't have jobs for you and they probably want the same jobs you do.

I recently went through an interview process at [Tech Company.] I didn't get the job. I still connected with all the recruiters I interacted with there, which was helped along by the fact that they were in my gmail address book at that point. It's a large company and not all doors are closed.

Lie on your LinkedIn resume. Please don't. This will only lead to bad things. If you are officially an Analyst II, you can put that down. If you are an Analyst II but you are actually recognized as the foremost analyst out of the people you work with, you might get away with "Senior" or "Lead." That wouldn't be lying or even really dishonest. If you want to skirt around the issue entirely, leave out "II" and just make sure your bullet points describe how god-drat great you are at analyzing. If Analyst isn't descriptive enough, use what you actually do if it sounds better/will get better hits off recruiters.

LinkedIn is ideally an at-a-glance resume that targets the position/field you actually want to work in. You should be aggressive with how you use and promote your page, without being overzealous or foolish.

quote:

We seem to have this conversation about the utility and responsible use of connection requests over, and over, and over again.

Certainly LinkedIn should not and does not cater only to seasoned professionals and should not stonewall anyone without a job, "cesspool" though they may be.

Recruiters use LinkedIn a lot to talk to people they don't actually have a professional relationship with, using it in a way very similar to Careerbuilder or Monster (for the record, the calls I get from recruiters finding me on actual job boards is still much higher than it is on LinkedIn even after I spent some time aggressively seeking out recruiters on LinkedIn).

LinkedIn is both a job board and facilitates networking. Networking is about getting a job or a better job. Presenting LinkedIn as a walled garden where you can show Bob your new bone-white business card, or that it was once intended for that, is really disingenuous and obviously incorrect when you load up the basic UI.

What's at issue here is whether or not LinkedIn is breaking down the barriers between professional networking and JOBAPALOOZA.COM THE #1 JOB BOARD ON THE NET. Arguably, it is. It's simply easier to make connections when you have a paid account. You can send requests to 2nd-tier connections without getting a "how do you know this person" dialogue if you know what you're doing, with or without Premium access. Advertising for Premium clearly states better connectivity as a selling point. This enables people who have no idea what the gently caress they're doing to poison the well a little.

fyrelore
Jul 30, 2013
OK, thank you both. I guess I was just being a little too paranoid about LinkedIn limiting my account or whatever for trying to connect with people I obviously don't know.

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

I connected with a recruiter at a company I'm interested in, though I refrained from sending a message like the one in the OP because in several places it says that those interested should apply directly on the website. Today the recruiter posted a "status" saying that the company is hiring in a bunch of positions and interested candidates should apply at the website with a link, and on the application it gives the option "how did you hear about this position." Does it make sense to say "employee referral" and then put the recruiter's name? It seems a bit corny, and it also says "online sources are automatically tracked" so I imagine that through some internet magic the company can see that I clicked the link on the recuiter's linkedin page, but I'd like to leverage the connection as much as possible.

Am I right in not messaging the recruiter and asking to e-mail my resume given that they have posted on their profile and in this listing that I should apply via the website? Alternatively, does clicking the "Apply with LinkedIn" button do me any good in this situation?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Diabetes By Sundown posted:

I connected with a recruiter at a company I'm interested in, though I refrained from sending a message like the one in the OP because in several places it says that those interested should apply directly on the website. Today the recruiter posted a "status" saying that the company is hiring in a bunch of positions and interested candidates should apply at the website with a link, and on the application it gives the option "how did you hear about this position." Does it make sense to say "employee referral" and then put the recruiter's name? It seems a bit corny, and it also says "online sources are automatically tracked" so I imagine that through some internet magic the company can see that I clicked the link on the recuiter's linkedin page, but I'd like to leverage the connection as much as possible.

Am I right in not messaging the recruiter and asking to e-mail my resume given that they have posted on their profile and in this listing that I should apply via the website? Alternatively, does clicking the "Apply with LinkedIn" button do me any good in this situation?

It is possible to leverage this connection without coming across as someone who didn't read the posting, yes. If not the absolute best, certainly one of the best ways to get your application trashed immediately is to ignore the posted instructions for submitting it, so you definitely want to avoid trying to batter your way in by trying to get the recruiter to apply for you.

That being said, it's a very different matter to, say, apply on the website as instructed, but send the recruiter a message (make sure you make it clear which posting you are referencing) asking if it was okay to list them as an employee referral on the application. Of course there is no way they will say no, what you are actually doing is getting yourself to stand out a little bit and generating a little bit of initial interest on the recruiter's end, hopefully prompting them to check you out. If they like your qualifications as a candidate, they might push you ahead of the pack a bit. Or they might not, you can never know, guess or expect, but anything is better than being just another face in the crowd when it comes to job applications.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you
I'm planning to move across the country for non-job reasons in a few months, and it's looking like I won't be able to take my current software job with me. I updated my linkedin profile and started getting recruiters contacting me for jobs in my current region. So far I've been shutting them down by mentioning the move.

I considered changing my location to where I'm headed, but one of my older coworkers advised against that. He said I should take some interviews here. Maybe I'll find a place that's more willing to let me work remotely, and at least I get interview experience that doesn't cut into the pool of companies I'll be interviewing for later. I'm doubtful on the first point, but what do you guys think of the rest?

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you
whoops

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I just graduated with a masters degree. The job I want is on the other side of the country. I am linkedin connected with ~6 of the employees of this firm. The firm is about 150 people and has an overt ad posted for a position I would like. I'm like 90% qualified based on what they explicitly are asking for, and I'm sure I could learn the rest on the go. How do I communicate with my linkedin contacts at this firm to increase my chance of employment at this firm?

Do I contact them?

How do I start my message?

Etc?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I mean, is it socially acceptable to just be straight forward like:

"Hello X,

I have recently graduated with a masters in [industry]. I am really excited to use what I learned to help achieve [x,y,z]. I saw that [your firm] is hiring for this position and I think I would be a great fit. The website says to contact [email] with my resume and portfolio, which I have done. Do you know anybody else I should talk to about applying for this position?"

I am really excited about this position and really want to work for this company.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Sounds fine to me. If you can update your application after submittal, you might want to add the responders to such a message as a referral.

Do however make sure that you're sending a message to someone at least indirectly involved in hiring. Otherwise they'll probably scratch their head a bit and wonder why you sent it.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Take another look at the Job Advert, often the poster of the advert will be listed on the right hand side of the screen and you might be able to message them directly.

What I would say is that applying to adverts firms post on LinkedIn themselves is a really good approach. For most positions the LinkedIn ads get a lot less response than those posted on monster / careerbuilder etc so I would say apply to the advert directly, perhaps with a cover letter as well.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

HiroProtagonist posted:

Sounds fine to me. If you can update your application after submittal, you might want to add the responders to such a message as a referral.

Do however make sure that you're sending a message to someone at least indirectly involved in hiring. Otherwise they'll probably scratch their head a bit and wonder why you sent it.

The people I am connected to currently on linkedin don't seem to be directly involved with the hiring process. The job opening advert doesn't list a person to contact, just a generic [firm name]hiring@[firm].org

JFairfax posted:

Take another look at the Job Advert, often the poster of the advert will be listed on the right hand side of the screen and you might be able to message them directly.

What I would say is that applying to adverts firms post on LinkedIn themselves is a really good approach. For most positions the LinkedIn ads get a lot less response than those posted on monster / careerbuilder etc so I would say apply to the advert directly, perhaps with a cover letter as well.

The job opening was listed on the firms actual website, not on linkedin.

Thoughts?

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
Question: If the groups are very large, should I still introduce myself? Also the top contributors do not allow connections, they only offer following. Is this still worth it? When LinkedIn asks how do I know them, how do I respond. They do not seem to advocate connecting with strangers? (Although this seems a little counter-intuitive to growing a network?)

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Question: If the groups are very large, should I still introduce myself? Also the top contributors do not allow connections, they only offer following. Is this still worth it? When LinkedIn asks how do I know them, how do I respond. They do not seem to advocate connecting with strangers? (Although this seems a little counter-intuitive to growing a network?)

My experience with the not knowing people and asking to connect has so far not resulted in anything negative. The worst that happens is you get ignored. That said, I've never had anyone with a title like "recruiter" ignore me. I usually select "We've done business at my (current job)" and change the note to indicate I am interested in opportunities in their field/area.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

The people I am connected to currently on linkedin don't seem to be directly involved with the hiring process. The job opening advert doesn't list a person to contact, just a generic [firm name]hiring@[firm].org

The job opening was listed on the firms actual website, not on linkedin.

Thoughts?

I would suggest doing a little bit of digging and seeing if you can locate the/a recruiter/hiring manager for the company on Linkedin, and sending them a message. Although doing this somewhat blindly carries something of a risk. Unless someone has explicitly given out or listed themselves as a contact for a particular position being hired for (and therefore tacitly given permission to contact them in reference to it), reaching out in this way could be construed as a faux-pas.

However, if you go a couple weeks and do not get any response to your application submission, it might be worth it to take that risk just to spark some attention. I will leave the choice of when up to you, though. There are no hard and fast rules here.

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Not sure if you mean introduce yourself to the group, or to the most active recruiters--in the OP my suggestion was to message a few of the most active recruiters to introduce yourself, not to post an introductory thing in the group's message board. That's something like posting an intro in GBS, and you probably don't want that kind of attention (though it wouldn't be the same kind you'd get on SA--still not good).

Ignore the following function unless you sincerely are interested in reading what some people write. It does you no good otherwise. Some people do have some interesting views and insights on various aspects of business, but those are definitely the exception rather than the rule on Linkedin.

Besides, you don't want to connect with contributors primarily (although no connections are truly bad--see the OP), the people you're primarily interested in are the most active recruiters.

The last part of your post is something that has been discussed repeatedly and comprehensively in this thread already. Linkedin doesn't care about connecting with strangers, and in many, many ways the site even encourages it, varying from subtle to thinly-veiled pushing.

The easiest option is to select 'through a group' for people who are also members of the same group, but for LIONs and other recruiter-types there's nothing wrong with just going the easy route and choosing 'friend.' Bottom line is, the people you want to be connecting to are also not going to care why you're connecting to them.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

HiroProtagonist posted:

I would suggest doing a little bit of digging and seeing if you can locate the/a recruiter/hiring manager for the company on Linkedin, and sending them a message. Although doing this somewhat blindly carries something of a risk. Unless someone has explicitly given out or listed themselves as a contact for a particular position being hired for (and therefore tacitly given permission to contact them in reference to it), reaching out in this way could be construed as a faux-pas.

However, if you go a couple weeks and do not get any response to your application submission, it might be worth it to take that risk just to spark some attention. I will leave the choice of when up to you, though. There are no hard and fast rules here.

I went ahead and contacted a few of the people on LinkedIn. Of the 4 people, only one responded (although in like 40 minutes!). She passed the note on to the hiring person. The hiring person sent me an e-mail the next day saying they won't hire me. R.I.P.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I went ahead and contacted a few of the people on LinkedIn. Of the 4 people, only one responded (although in like 40 minutes!). She passed the note on to the hiring person. The hiring person sent me an e-mail the next day saying they won't hire me. R.I.P.

If you received a response from a human, in a timely fashion, you should count that as a victory. Even a "no".

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Boot and Rally posted:

If you received a response from a human, in a timely fashion, you should count that as a victory. Even a "no".

That sucks to get a negative response, but this is definitely true.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Yeah I was really impressed with how thoughtful, direct, and timely they were. A drat fine company. They'll keep my resume on the books for 6 months but if they didn't like me for this entry level position I don't see them hiring me for a different position.

N.N. Ashe
Dec 29, 2009

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Yeah I was really impressed with how thoughtful, direct, and timely they were. A drat fine company. They'll keep my resume on the books for 6 months but if they didn't like me for this entry level position I don't see them hiring me for a different position.

While this is still fresh, can you ask the person very nicely why not?

null gallagher
Jan 1, 2014
So a company I'd be interested in working at reached out to me. Is it worth mentioning that I have friends working there?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Maybe in the interview if you're just making smalltalk but DEFINITELY note it if there's a referral section on your official application since many companies pay finders fees. The larger the company, the less it matters if you know someone.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

I have a bit of a unique situation. I work as a client services rep at a pre-employment background screening company so a lot of my work involved me working with recruiters and whatnot. Would it be appropriate for me to connect with them on LinkedIn? I'm new to this whole game and from what it sounds like, recruiters are the key to finding new opportunities.

Another thing is my position as client service rep has been eliminated so I'm just doing average call-center work at the same company. would it be out of line for me to reach out to a few of the recruiters I previously worked with and say "hey, I was your client service rep and due to restructuring, I'm looking for new work. Shoot me an email and I can send you a resume" or would that be considered some form of conflict of interest? It's a pretty low-level position so I don't think it would ruffle much feathers but I do want to tread lightly as a pre-caution.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I get a free linkedin trial

let's see where this pony ride takes us boys

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 15, 2015

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
I got an invite as well, but I've been too lazy to input my CC info.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

So a recruiter contacted me on linkedin saying they viewed my profile and asking if I was interested in a clinical trials management job that would effectively double my salary. I'm not entirely sure I have the qualifications for the job they are telling me about.

The recruiting company seems legit and has been around for a while. I do have about 3 years research work experience (2 in the lab, 1 as a nurse) but I have no clinical management experience. I'd assume they wouldn't want to waste time trying to recruit someone who's not qualified, right? Or is it more like, just contact everybody and see who responds?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Cacafuego posted:

Or is it more like, just contact everybody and see who responds?

This seems to be the norm. But even if you're not a good match for that particular position, they might have something else for you. There's really no harm in talking to them.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Cacafuego posted:

So a recruiter contacted me on linkedin saying they viewed my profile and asking if I was interested in a clinical trials management job that would effectively double my salary. I'm not entirely sure I have the qualifications for the job they are telling me about.

The recruiting company seems legit and has been around for a while. I do have about 3 years research work experience (2 in the lab, 1 as a nurse) but I have no clinical management experience. I'd assume they wouldn't want to waste time trying to recruit someone who's not qualified, right? Or is it more like, just contact everybody and see who responds?

In my experience, some of the of these recruitment contacts are very targeted, while others are near random. (Apparently I was "the perfect choice for the user experience lead of a new e-health portal". I have literally no experience in any of those areas.)

But as cacafeugo said: no harm in chasing them up, may lead to something down the line. And from my experience of clinical trials, you may actually be useful to them.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
I was contacted by a Managing Director from an established and well-regarded legal recruiting firm. The inMail message was brief and simply said that he looked at my profile and believes I have the experience a client of theirs is seeking (though the subject of the message read 'In-House Role' so ???).

He provided his phone number. Is it generally a better approach (or more professional even in the world of LinkedIn) to begin the conversation via phone? Or do you mostly believe that it's perfectly acceptable to just begin a conversation via LinkedIn to get additional information on this otherwise vague message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
If you got a phone number, they want you to call them. That's a good rule of thumb (without trying to be snarky).

• Locked thread