Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

New gamedev letter!

The rear end in a top hat posted:

We’re still breaking down exactly what those things mean for our update schedule, but you already know that Issue #11 is set to contain the final chapter of the story mission in Tokyo, as well as a new dungeon/raid. We are currently evaluating the work involved in delivering both of those features in a timely fashion and considering whether we need to split them into separate updates. If we do this, you can be rest assured that Issue #11 will still contain some form of group content.

Looks like we'll be paying for either the raid and the dungeon separately.

quote:

new scenario map,
Defend waves in the Kaidan apartment complex. You know it won't be any other kind.

quote:

This won’t involve dramatic changes to the game that will affect our veterans, but it will involve improving current tutorials and guides to help people take their first stumbling steps into The Secret World. We’ll also be taking a look at how we distribute and display a player’s current power and finding ways to improve the information flow to the player.

Maybe they'll put that tutorial mission back in. You know, the one that teaches players that they need a second weapon. The one Mr. Bylos decided to have removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Toshimo posted:

Post your build. You probably aren't stabbing/shooting things as hard as you should be.

I have the inner circle for blades, AR, and chaos filled out. That's about it. I randomly swap skills out often enough that I dont think I have a real build.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?
What's your in game name? I can run you through some dungeons to get you some gear.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Jerryk

I have yet to actually talk to anyone in game so don't be surprised if I am totally clueless.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
After much downloading of MMORPG clients, I've tentatively started playing some TSW on Arcadia as Clibanarya. Anyone around Kingsmouth who sees me, just say hey!

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

I totally just approved a years worth of applications to the everything is goon site. What happened to all the Aussies I left in charge.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Drinkfist posted:

I totally just approved a years worth of applications to the everything is goon site. What happened to all the Aussies I left in charge.
Australia killed them?

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Drinkfist posted:

Did the number of people who applied exceed double digits?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The Issue 10 mission database broke sometime over Xmas. The icon to restart the love hotel mission is completely missing for me and I can't complete the first mission again because it refuses to acknowledge that I've found the secret clubhouse bunker. Despite the fact I can walk inside and everything.

Logged a ticket and its a known issue. Apparently the people who can fix it are on Xmas leave so it might be a while :toot:

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

HughGRect posted:

Did the number of people who applied exceed double digits?

Hell No. What are you crazy?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Drinkfist posted:

Why would you ever leave us in charge of anything?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

DancingShade posted:

The Issue 10 mission database broke sometime over Xmas. The icon to restart the love hotel mission is completely missing for me and I can't complete the first mission again because it refuses to acknowledge that I've found the secret clubhouse bunker. Despite the fact I can walk inside and everything.

Logged a ticket and its a known issue. Apparently the people who can fix it are on Xmas leave so it might be a while :toot:

It's not a TSW Christmas if the Dev team didn't gently caress off to leave the game burn.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Len posted:

It's not a TSW Christmas if the Dev team didn't gently caress off to leave the game burn.

Perhaps you haven't been keeping up with things. Funcom got butchered. There is no dev team. They are literally 3rd party contracting out their 3 MMOs. Complete damage control mode for the whole company. Perhaps if they hired a loving marketing team for TSW when it came out like all of us were loving screaming at them they might have not imploded.

Age of Conan was not nearly as fire and brimstone as everyone said it was. I mean come on you can tear a player's head off and throw it at a crowd. The Secret World is still in my mind the single best Theme Park style MMO there is hands down.

I said it very early on in TSW that this game was the last bastion of hope to see us pulled out of the Fantasy hellhole the MMO market is in and if it failed then the whole market goes with it.Look at that. It failed to catch any eyes and we are left with loving Elves and Sci Fi games that are trying to be fantasy with swords and shields for everyone.

Settings in MMOs will never diviate from Fantasy or Sci-fi for anyone with a wallet now. The only hope is something rises from the ashes of the kickstarter hellhole and even that is bleak as gently caress. Every major Game company on the loving planet has gone toe to toe with World of Warcraft in their own backyard thinking they can do the game better then people with a 10 year headstart. There is only one super dev that comes to mind that hasn't thrown in their hat to the pile and its because they are not loving retarded. I am looking at you Valve.

Funcom was one of very few MMO companies that took a shot at something new and missed. The worst part is they didn't miss because their game was bad but because no one loving heard about it.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
No I'm pretty sure the game was bad, relatively speaking. If you're going up against single player games as well as another WoW expansion and Guild Wars 2, you need more than a few awesome investigation missions and a fresh setting.

I do not subscribe to the theory that more marketing would have saved Funcom/TSW. The game specifically failed to turn beta players into paying customers. As in, a lot of people DID play beta and they DID want something new, and then didn't buy boxes let alone subscribe. That isn't a marketing problem, it's a "this game is nice but it shouldn't be an MMO"-, a "I played beta and the game looked okay but ran like poo poo and crashed all the time"- and also a "I played Conan and after Tortage the game was poo poo so I'll wait and see" problem. On top of a "it's 2012 why do they want me to pay for box AND subscription" problem.

As sad as I am that suits have learned the wrong lessons and will continue to fail spectacularly with fantasy MMOs copying WoW, it was Funcom's failures as designers, not lack of marketing, that kept TSW from being the game that would popularize alternative MMOs.

orcane fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jan 12, 2015

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

orcane posted:

No I'm pretty sure the game was bad, relatively speaking. If you're going up against single player games as well as another WoW expansion and Guild Wars 2, you need more than a few awesome investigation missions and a fresh setting.

I do not subscribe to the theory that more marketing would have saved Funcom/TSW. The game specifically failed to turn beta players into paying customers. As in, a lot of people DID play beta and they DID want something new, and then didn't buy boxes let alone subscribe. That isn't a marketing problem, it's a "this game is nice but it shouldn't be an MMO"-, a "I played beta and the game looked okay but ran like poo poo and crashed all the time"- and also a "I played Conan and after Tortage the game was poo poo so I'll wait and see" problem. On top of a "it's 2012 why do they want me to pay for box AND subscription" problem.

I think the problem is that after Kingsmouth there's this difficulty spike where you really need to start paying attention to mechanics that maybe aren't explained terribly well. People get frustrated because they're used to games with giant floating arrows and a cash register noise playing every time they loot a coin purse.

Also there's the slight problem that it launched (and still lacks) any form of automatic LFG tool which is pretty fundamental for a PVE focused themepark game. Yes, yes, do dungeons with friends sure, but that completely blocks out casual players who just want to belt out a quick dungeon or two after work and not worry about who is in mumble.

That leads onto the problem of how would you even implement an LFG tool when its pretty hard to lock down what qualifies as a healer or tank. Plus it can take quite a lot of PVE grinding to unlock abilities critical to those roles that you have no need for at all outside dungeons and are probably initially lacking if you're just doing quest missions.

Great game, I love it. But it has always had major design flaws.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Exactly. That's what I mean with "relatively" bad. The game was overall decent and it has certain awesome features, but the complete experience has issues that players who have better options won't put up with, even if they technically like the setting more.

Basically TSW needed the post-release support of a much healthier company/game, and since even pre-release Funcom was not in a position to provide this, TSW should not have been an MMO in the first place.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
Before TSW my only real experience with MMOs was EVE. So I think I enjoyed it because I wasn't expecting anything in terms of the mission system or content, it was all new to me. People I knew that had experience in WoWish MMOs didn't like it because it didn't feel finished to them. To this day I don't really know what they mean when they say that. Maybe it's the mission system, unique game mechanics, or the classless system they don't understand, I don't really know. Whatever it is it leaves a bad taste in some people's mouths.

The game's gone on a long time when everybody thought it would crash as soon as it went F2P. They've gone much slower than the original plan of an expansion every month (heh) but they continue to put out content. They didn't just decide to stop putting out new stuff and milk it until it shut down. So that's good for the people that do enjoy it.

Personally, I find myself in and out of this game quite a lot. I play the content I want to play, get the gear I want, then stop playing for a while. I've played a lot of MMO's since but I always feel that TSW had the best newbie experience. It throws you right into the zombie horde and says 'good luck, have fun!'

There are just a lot of "WTF was that" and "I can't believe that's a game mechanic" moments. Even the frustrating stuff like needing to be a spirit, despite nothing really hinting that other than that you've literally tried everything else, add a level of detail to the game that I haven't found anywhere else. It's like we are being actively hazed by Funcom to join some secret society full of conspiracies or something.

Fumblemouse
Mar 21, 2013

STANDARD
DEVIANT
Grimey Drawer
I made it to Fangs, mostly as a solo player, before I gave up. This is where the nightmare missions mean you may need to start making builds for particular fights. Even with a Mod Deck Manager, the whole process was a painful battle against the UI and was my personal burn out point. They missed the boat by not focussing on making gear / skill / inventory management easier, considering it's such a huge part of the game

That said, I loving loved it up to that point and absolutely got my money's worth, but the repeated death vs fun ratio just got too out of whack. I still have it installed, though. Eventually the wounds may heal.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?
What happened to our resident FC employees? One was fairly active during beta in responding to us. Hope he wasn't let go. :ohdear:

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

revenance posted:

What happened to our resident FC employees? One was fairly active during beta in responding to us. Hope he wasn't let go. :ohdear:

Most everyone was let go at one point, a few got hired back eventually, the smart ones stayed away.

Personally losing that job was really good for me, now I make multiples more and don't have to take orders from a glorified CSR.

Screw the games industry, never again.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Secret World easily has the best narrative and sense of atmosphere in any MMO. It also far exceeds most single player games in that respect too.

So there's a pretty nice diamond in the rough.

^ I think Funcom basically melted down financially? Yeah I was kind of surprised they pulled through, even if they are now basically an empty eggshell.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, I will give them they do a great job of making poo poo seem scary. Like, I will sneak (or run screaming) past a new enemy (or into/through a new area) three to five times before finally going "You know what, I'll need to fight these eventually, why not now?"

And like 90% of the time, afterwards I'll be like "Hell, that was easy, I'm not even down to half health." And the things aren't scary anymore.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
That sense of player empowerment in a horror situation is I think part of the charm in games like Secret World and (perhaps more so) in FEAR 1. Pity the sequels to that particular FPS didn't capture the magical gun play of the first.

I think when they fix the Issue 10 missions I'll dive back in and knock together some sort of half retarded assault rifle build. I've been using blood/blade for so long I can't remember what anything else plays like.

Oh wow speaking of horror situations you can't slaughter your way through, I forgot about that parking garage in Tokyo with the ghost schoolgirl things that instantly murder you if you turn away from them. gently caress that place :staredog:

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jan 13, 2015

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Virgula Divina was the mission that mastered the creepy as gently caress atmosphere for me. I don't know why, but that the only mission that caused me to turn the game off until I wasn't alone in the house. I guess it mixed some of my childhood fears of creepy dolls and ghosts.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I recently started playing WoW again, and it's given me a greater appreciation for lots of TSW. As wacky as the combat can be, the ability to do things while moving really feels better. And the writing, of course, is infinitely better. And the characters look like actual human beings. And there are no elves. :D

I don't know how long they're going to be able to limp along and still survive, but I hope it's a decent while. This is a pretty great game.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I'm just hoping someone can grab the server code before it does go down. The writing and atmosphere are just too drat good to be lost to the ether.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
How much influence did Ragnar have on this game? Was it one of his babies or was he just helping Funcom flesh out someone else's project?

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

HughGRect posted:

How much influence did Ragnar have on this game? Was it one of his babies or was he just helping Funcom flesh out someone else's project?

He loving wrote it and then when poo poo started to slow down he realized he overwrote the game and now there is piles of this game's story that will never see the light of day. When the game was in beta the devs in the global chat were talking about how the man had already written 12 years worth of stuff for the lore of the game. We are never going to see the Lost World in the center of the earth or Atlantis which were the big ones we were told about. You probably remember me goading a GM into spawning that Filth Infested T Rex in London because I kept making fun of them for wasting such an awesome art asset that no remembered existed from the really early E3 tech demos and trailers.

So Ragnar upon realizing that he literally planned out the next decade of the game and seeing that they didn't have the resources to reach it, he left Funcom main and formed Red Thread Games to work on the new Dreamfall games for Funcom. Probably because the name Funcom is toxic in the industry right now and Ragnar is too good a writer to go down with that ship.

Even with all that in mind and working at a separate company he is still the Creative Director of The Secret World.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Drinkfist posted:

He loving wrote it and then when poo poo started to slow down he realized he overwrote the game and now there is piles of this game's story that will never see the light of day. When the game was in beta the devs in the global chat were talking about how the man had already written 12 years worth of stuff for the lore of the game. We are never going to see the Lost World in the center of the earth or Atlantis which were the big ones we were told about. You probably remember me goading a GM into spawning that Filth Infested T Rex in London because I kept making fun of them for wasting such an awesome art asset that no remembered existed from the really early E3 tech demos and trailers.

So Ragnar upon realizing that he literally planned out the next decade of the game and seeing that they didn't have the resources to reach it, he left Funcom main and formed Red Thread Games to work on the new Dreamfall games for Funcom. Probably because the name Funcom is toxic in the industry right now and Ragnar is too good a writer to go down with that ship.

Even with all that in mind and working at a separate company he is still the Creative Director of The Secret World.

This is just depressing :(

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

This is just depressing :(

tsw.txt

But don't point it out. Making the devs feel bad is a bannable offense. But feel free to pick on the volunteers all you want!

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

I am coming back to this game for a bit to clear all the new poo poo and take Bad games crew for a ride. Come in CTS mumble and join "The Angry Dome" and shoot the poo poo with us.

Camping the Stairs Mumble
Port 64738

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm not really experienced with MMOs (I played Old Republic for a bit), so I'm not sure how to do Dungeons. How do I find people to go through it with me? Can I solo the early ones?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Drinkfist posted:

I am coming back to this game for a bit to clear all the new poo poo and take Bad games crew for a ride. Come in CTS mumble and join "The Angry Dome" and shoot the poo poo with us.

Camping the Stairs Mumble
Port 64738

Prolly gonna be on dis tomorrow night

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I haven't touched this in probably a year after buying the life time sub, I hope one day they at least release what the rest of the story would've been so we can see if some of the story choices actually mattered.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
gently caress the stealth missions. There is no loving way to know if the enemies see you and then you have to restart at the beginning. They just saw me through a loving helicopter!

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

I need some of my old TSW goons back because Grithok and Boat are driving me loving nuts with this loving complaining.

They hit the Transition from Savage coast to Blue Mountain and are pissed at the game because a pure Blood Magic with no secondary weapons build isn't "Killing things fast enough" and Hammers don't play well with anything.

I suggested Assault Rifles to hammers and Elemental to Blood and these fucks said the game is poo poo and I am poo poo.

Listen here motherfuckers. If you use a walk though to clear the investigations and then tell me they are too easy then you can gently caress right off. If you don't want to put on a second weapon you can eat my dick.

The Secret World is a loving great game you shitlords. Someone get in this mumble to help me argue.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm not really experienced with MMOs (I played Old Republic for a bit), so I'm not sure how to do Dungeons. How do I find people to go through it with me? Can I solo the early ones?

Join the noobmares chat channel.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Drinkfist posted:

I need some of my old TSW goons back because Grithok and Boat are driving me loving nuts with this loving complaining.

They hit the Transition from Savage coast to Blue Mountain and are pissed at the game because a pure Blood Magic with no secondary weapons build isn't "Killing things fast enough" and Hammers don't play well with anything.

I suggested Assault Rifles to hammers and Elemental to Blood and these fucks said the game is poo poo and I am poo poo.

Listen here motherfuckers. If you use a walk though to clear the investigations and then tell me they are too easy then you can gently caress right off. If you don't want to put on a second weapon you can eat my dick.

The Secret World is a loving great game you shitlords. Someone get in this mumble to help me argue.

http://youtu.be/H_TwsXhsq90

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
TSW rules and not equipping a second weapon is stupid as poo poo, even if it's JUST to have one consumer skill. Christ, that laziness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
drinkfist is indeed lazy for not fulling explaining he said it was a good idea and both people have two weapons as per his advice

he just is really lazy with words

• Locked thread