Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Count Bleck posted:

The card is powerful, just not in this Standard.

Also, its reprinting coincided with Pod players realizing they didn't need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
This more aggressive version with Hordeling Outburst and Stoke the Flames looked like a fun build too, but I haven't tested it out.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Angry Grimace posted:

It's funny that so many people wanted Chord of Calling reprinted. And then nobody played it.

People wanted it reprinted so the price would drop in Modern.

Of course, now no one plays it in Modern either.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

AlternateNu posted:

Perfect curve: Tap Land -> Sylvan Caryatid/Rattleclaw Mystic -> Citadel Siege -> Ajani + ??? -> Sage of Hours -> ??? -> Profit

Kill conditions could be a couple Elspeth in the deck, I guess.

Azban Control could work. Ajani for card filter/draw and Read the Bones for card draw. Elspeth dropping then Shamanic Revalation sounds like a great idea. Then Rhinos and Rocs in the SB to turn into a midrange deck post board. Sorin, Elspeth, Ajani, many the black seige to stay alive?

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Hello.

Let's take a moment to talk about Iroas.

Or specifically, why no-one uses him in Standard, or any other format for that matter. Why is that? On it's face it seems like a good card with a decent upside even when not active, but even back when people had access to Boros Reckoner people didn't bother with him. What is it about the God of Victory that has people so averse?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Alris posted:

Hello.

Or specifically, why no-one uses him in Standard, or any other format for that matter. Why is that? On it's face it seems like a good card with a decent upside even when not active, but even back when people had access to Boros Reckoner people didn't bother with him. What is it about the God of Victory that has people so averse?

It's a 4 mana dolmen gate.

It's pretty bad.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

7 devotion is a loving lot of devotion, and until then he's Goblin War Drums + Dolmen Gate, i.e. a card that makes it easier to attack and that's about all.

Mitigating blocking without adding power to the board is usually not relevant in 60-card formats.

vvv EDIT: Then play EDH. I have a loving sweet-looking Modern-Legal Alesha list ready, and he's a lot of help for commanders that want to attack without dying.

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 16, 2015

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
But you guys I want to like him so much :(

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Alris posted:

The gods mostly suck dude, I am sorry

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Alris posted:

TheKingofSprings posted:

Purphoros is a lot better IMO. :coal:

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Alris posted:

I used to annoy the poo poo out of my Commander playgroup with a janktastic deck featuring him before retooling it into an angel themed Aurelia deck. Arbiter of Silence made whoever I attacked with effectively unblockable, you can abuse Pyrohemia while attacking, and cards like Powerstone Minefield work well in the deck.

One of my favorite plays was casting Iroas then dropping a Nobilis of War on the next turn to immediately satisfy his devotion requirement and pump him.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Cernunnos posted:

Basically anything Tribal that isn't Wizards will be pretty fair. Goblins and Elves are obviously better than most others. I'd say something like Minotaurs or Naya Centaurs (Naya gets you cool/helpful stuff like Fanatic of Xenagos, Stonebrow, and Call of the Conclave) could be fun.

I have some kind of disease where I can't resist making the most powerful deck possible with particular rules, so I built a Horror tribal manaless dredge deck. I think what I'll do is something interesting that I can't break too hard, like mono-green Spirit tribal.

C-Euro posted:

Turbofog. I'm also going to need a decklist for that Homelands Stax, TIA

At the first Magic pro tour ever, the legal sets were Fourth Edition, Ice Age, Chronicles, and Fallen Empires. Pro Tour Homelands, because Homelands was so bad that no one wanted to use any cards from that set, you were required to play at least 5 cards from every set in Standard. Because the power disparity is so wide, I mostly use the sideboard as a dumping ground for five Homelands cards, four Fallen Empires cards, and four Chronicles cards. Instead of bans, there was a restricted list, allowing the deck to run some absurdly powerful one-ofs, though it's worth noting that Necropotence was completely legal at the time. One of my friends has a Necropotence deck from the same era and it's an amazingly fun match, with this deck favoured. This deck uses sweepers to kill creatures, locks down others from untapping their mana, and if you're playing with 1996 rules, Icy Manipulator can turn off Winter Orb by tapping it on your opponent's end step. Here is the glorious mess of a list:

code:
9 Plains
7 Mountain
4 Mishra's Factory
1 Sulfurous Springs (Ice Age)
1 Icatian Store (Fallen Empires)

4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Howling Mine
4 Fellwar Stone
3 Winter Orb
2 Disenchant
4 Icy Manipulator (Ice Age)
4 Wrath of God
3 Fireball
1 Earthquake
1 Feldon's Cane (Chronicles)
R Black Vise
R Land Tax
R Ivory Tower
R Balance

Sideboard
4 Serrated Arrows (Homelands)
4 Icatian Javelineers (Fallen Empires)
4 Tormod's Crypt (Chronicles)
1 An-Zerrin Ruins (Homelands)
2 Disenchant

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Pharika is awesome.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Pharika is awesome.

Funny that, people basically shot her to hell when she first appeared due to digging out of your own graveyard. People are still terrible at card evaluation.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Ramos posted:

Funny that, people basically shot her to hell when she first appeared due to digging out of your own graveyard. People are still terrible at card evaluation.

I still feel like she could've been better; maybe make her activated ability cost 1GB or so but allow her to steal creatures from opponent's graveyards for more snakes of your own, rather than give them away.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Chamale posted:

At the first Magic pro tour ever, the legal sets were Fourth Edition, Ice Age, Chronicles, and Fallen Empires. Pro Tour Homelands, because Homelands was so bad that no one wanted to use any cards from that set, you were required to play at least 5 cards from every set in Standard. Because the power disparity is so wide, I mostly use the sideboard as a dumping ground for five Homelands cards, four Fallen Empires cards, and four Chronicles cards. Instead of bans, there was a restricted list, allowing the deck to run some absurdly powerful one-ofs, though it's worth noting that Necropotence was completely legal at the time. One of my friends has a Necropotence deck from the same era and it's an amazingly fun match, with this deck favoured. This deck uses sweepers to kill creatures, locks down others from untapping their mana, and if you're playing with 1996 rules, Icy Manipulator can turn off Winter Orb by tapping it on your opponent's end step. Here is the glorious mess of a list:

Aw drat, I thought it was some current Legacy with sweet undiscovered tech from Homelands.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

bhsman posted:

I still feel like she could've been better; maybe make her activated ability cost 1GB or so but allow her to steal creatures from opponent's graveyards for more snakes of your own, rather than give them away.

Hopefully they aren't deathtouch snakes because then you're making ridiculous amounts of profit. Without field wipes, you get snakes that keeping filling up their graveyard in a ridiculously uphill fight.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Ramos posted:

To be fair, that was long before Hornet Queen and the Delve mechanic were spoiled. Cards change value over the course of their standard environment. I think people accurately assessed Pharika's value based on where she stood at the time, and then some clever folks were able to reassess her later and found her to be much better.

vvv: honestly, it's just the recent prominence of the Sidisi Whip deck that brought her into the mix.

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 16, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Ramos posted:

Pharika is still a very small part of a percentage of graveyard decks. She's like a one or two of in some but not all self mill decks.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Dungeon Ecology posted:

To be fair, that was long before Hornet Queen and the Delve mechanic were spoiled. Cards change value over the course of their standard environment. I think people accurately assessed Pharika's value based on where she stood at the time, and then some clever folks were able to reassess her later and found her to be much better.

Yeah, fair enough, Pharika wasn't the best positioned when she did show up, but a lot of people damned her for simply using the same resource the Golgari cards did.

Angry Grimace posted:

Pharika is still a very small part of a percentage of graveyard decks. She's like a one or two of in some but not all self mill decks.

Next you'll be telling me that tools made for specific purposes are rarely used outside of those scenarios. Not everything is going to be four of's everywhere.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Ramos posted:

Yeah, fair enough, Pharika wasn't the best positioned when she did show up, but a lot of people damned her for simply using the same resource the Golgari cards did.

Next you'll be telling me that tools made for specific purposes are rarely used outside of those scenarios.

Yeah, okay, people are bad at card evaluation for not thinking Pharika was good half a year before Delve was even a thing.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Ramos posted:

Hopefully they aren't deathtouch snakes because then you're making ridiculous amounts of profit. Without field wipes, you get snakes that keeping filling up their graveyard in a ridiculously uphill fight.

I'd trade Deathtouch for the above and expanding on Constellation more, sure.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Ramos posted:

wasn't she basically unplayed until Khans?

Efb

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

mr. mephistopheles posted:

wasn't she basically unplayed until Khans?

Efb

There were some variations of the current GB Constellation deck running around during Super Standard AKA Rock Stars that utilized her, but post-rotation people added Nykthos and it became more of a mainstream deck.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Alris posted:

Hello.

I was thinking about making a Naya aggro card with him and shaman of the great hunt. I still like him.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

She did show up a reasonable amount before Khans.

bhsman posted:

I'd trade Deathtouch for the above and expanding on Constellation more, sure.

No disagreement here. Could use a lot more constellation in general.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I missed doing silly cube things. Spikeshot Elder + Grafted Wargear is a classic (and I had Jitte for extra grossness), but I think my play of the night would be Hordeling Outburst and Beetleback Chief in the same turn with a Purphoros down.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Holy poo poo that is disgusting.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

GoutPatrol posted:

I was thinking about making a Naya aggro card with him and shaman of the great hunt. I still like him.

I think Shaman of the Great Hunt is going to be Real Good(tm) in Standard, and not just because of his hilarious interaction with Forge Devil. :v:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

bhsman posted:

I think Shaman of the Great Hunt is going to be Real Good(tm) in Standard, and not just because of his hilarious interaction with Forge Devil. :v:

My thought is that FRF does little other than make obnoxious Tokens decks even more dominant and ever-present. Again, I have no goddamn clue what they were thinking when they printed Jeskai Ascendancy.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

bhsman posted:

I'm not seeing the combo here. Forge Devil is tiny and doesn't deal combat damage to a player in any particularly convenient fashion. He does deal 1 damage to you, but that's not combat damage.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Edit^^^ I'm presuming people are forgetting it needs to be combat damage, and thinking it'd come in and become a 2/2 for (R).

Angry Grimace posted:

My thought is that FRF does little other than make obnoxious Tokens decks even more dominant and ever-present. Again, I have no goddamn clue what they were thinking when they printed Jeskai Ascendancy.

"Hey guys, wouldn't it be loving hilarious if we..."

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 16, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Rimusutera posted:

Edit^^^ I'm presuming people are forgetting it needs to be combat damage, and thinking it'd come in and become a 2/2 for (R).

"Hey guys, wouldn't it be loving hilarious if we..."

I mean, I don't get how they're like "Okay, Sultai Ascendancy makes you self-mill for 2. Abzan Ascendancy gives you counters once/spirit tokens when your other dudes die. Jeskai Ascendancy gives everything Prowess. And untaps them. And lets you loot."

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Oh yeah, its disappointing the other Ascendancy cards are crummy in comparison.

That said, real talk, I've been collecting pieces to build Jeskai Tokens, and I actually love Jeskai Ascendancy.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Rimusutera posted:

Oh yeah, its disappointing the other Ascendancy cards are crummy in comparison.

That said, real talk, I've been collecting pieces to build Jeskai Tokens, and I actually love Jeskai Ascendancy.

This Standard has managed to get stale in record time for me, unfortunately.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I wonder if Mono Black Aggro will make a return with Shadowspear and Strike Leader being Really Good Cards?

I kind of want to try it given how neat those two in particular are.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Tokens is like, maybe 10% of the overall meta though, so I don't know why'd you actually complain about it making this standard stale.

edit; I'm more exited for BW warriors to be a thing. I'm just the FRF stuff, two Bloodsoakeds and a play set of Caves of Kolios away from it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Rimusutera posted:

Tokens is like, maybe 10% of the overall meta though, so I don't know why'd you actually complain about it making this standard stale.

edit; I'm more exited for BW warriors to be a thing. I'm just the FRF stuff, two Bloodsoakeds and a play set of Caves of Kolios away from it.

its not just Tokens (in fact its probably more just seeing the same Siege Rhino decks) The MTGO meta or even what you see on some SCG decklist site is not the meta for every community.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jan 16, 2015

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Fair enough, midrange for days can get pretty stale. Also I'm aware, but in that case your meta sounds like its just full of pretty cool dudes who have excellent taste in three mana enchantments and enjoy having an abundant myriad of tokens undiverse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

Angry Grimace posted:

its not just Tokens (in fact its probably more just seeing the same Siege Rhino decks) The MTGO meta or even what you see on some SCG decklist site is not the meta for every community.

Also MTGO metta you can't really take snapshots of to gauge meta health, it gets really skewy, a healthy meta on MTGO looks different every week, just isn't diverse in the moment.

• Locked thread