Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Gorson posted:

This reminds me of a conversation I had with someone who was an "IT" intern at a local employer. He would spend his day unloading trucks at the dock. How is that an IT internship? He was unloading boxed printers.

Looks like dude got a great start on being a complete doormat instead of just walking away and doing something that will actually start a career. Like playing with LEGO Mindstorms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Figuring 27 boxes in the truck at a time, what would its bandwidth be when doing 70 on the highway?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Boogalo posted:

Figuring 27 boxes in the truck at a time, what would its bandwidth be when doing 70 on the highway?

Depends on the packet loss. :v:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Hi Moey!

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

President Ark posted:

An eviction notice came in.

:gonk:

Details!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Agrikk posted:

And then HR poisons any potential relationship you might develop with this new hire by saying, "Eh. IT is slow to set up your desk space. Blame them." and on his first day this new hire has a bad experience with IT right out the gate.

Drop your entire workload to get this guy set up, and on his first day make sure you swing by his cube to make sure he is squared away and knows his way around the network and knows the rules about PSTs, file storage and access to ~resources~.

Do this and he'll finish his first day with "Man, those IT guys are on the job" instead of "I did fuckall at work today because IT couldn't get their act together."

People in this thread wonder why there's a negative opinion of IT workers. This is a solvable problem.

Holy poo poo, where do you work where one person does all that?

If your time is not valuable, then tinker away with that stuff. But policies, procedures and ticketing systems are in place for a reason. When I used to do desktop, we were told in no uncertain terms "no ticket, no work". When on boarding can sometimes mean 10-20 people a week (especially during periods of growth), this is vitally important. Otherwise you run into a couple issues:

a) Expectations. You bent/broke the procedures just that one time. Well done, now you're expected to do it going forward by everyone else.
b) Chaos. If poo poo starts getting done out of channel, then ITs workflow and task management goes to poo poo. In an Enterprise environment this can and will lead to people getting canned.

All it takes is one or two times of "I'm sorry, it cannot be done today. It will be scheduled for completion within X business days of when you submitted the ticket." When they have an employee that's not being productive, they start to realize the importance of following procedure and actually start following it.

As far as "poisoning" departmental relationships, well, if co-workers are that unprofessional that they start adopting an adversarial stance, there are far deeper and more serious issues than someone asking for a last minute change. That's when it might be wise to sharpen up the CV and start casting the net.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

President Ark posted:

Personal or for the company? If the former, I'm sorry. If the latter, :allears:

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.

President Ark posted:

What happened?

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I knew I had a reason to feel like "holy poo poo, your scope here is enormous".

I guess if they let me have an enormous amount of staff working for me this might be ok, but if they expect all of this of me I will probably not even consider it.

^^^ You know what happens in those scenarios? The pay tends to be hilariously low, I would imagine. I'll bet money they offer $75K as a CIO.

Well I'm trashing their expectations not trying to say that they're thinking of it that way. Don't be daunted, this is your chance to have a CIO title. CIOs and other upper-level IT bossmen rarely know anything about the tech side, they just fake it. DO THAT. Go through the entire interview process, be calm and chill, and any time they ask a question you don't know talk about how you'd leverage your assets (you know, your resources, the other people who will be your go-to guys :v: ) proactively and do the needful blah etc. I'm not kidding. Then once you get an offer letter, bargain on the title instead of the salary. You'll find it's actually easier than getting real money, and once you have that title, you have completed your divine ascension vOv

So yeah like better men have said fake it til you make it

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

JosephSkunk posted:

Well I'm trashing their expectations not trying to say that they're thinking of it that way. Don't be daunted, this is your chance to have a CIO title. CIOs and other upper-level IT bossmen rarely know anything about the tech side, they just fake it. DO THAT.
C-levels and directors don't need to know gritty tech stuff (or how to fake it), since their role is organizational leadership, budgeting, and broad sweeps for tech. While in some sense their role is to lean of key players and fight political battles with other stakeholders, it's stupid to assume they're blustering their way through large-scale technical decision making with business-speak and buzzwords

They're generally a lot better informed than you're giving them credit for here. Your CIO may not be able to walk onto the floor and do your job, especially if he/she's been in that role for a while, but they could probably learn how to in a couple of days.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Chickenwalker posted:

I used to process H-1Bs for them and a lot of the guys they loan out to US companies have hilarious names.

What do you mean by process? Prepare them for submission to DHS?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cactus Jack posted:

One of the reasons this is done is so companies can discriminate against older or disabled people.

That, and the fact that HR has no idea what you do and has been recycling the same job description since CRT monitors were a thing.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

President Ark posted:

What is it called when your job leaves YOU?

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

waffle iron posted:

What do you mean by process? Prepare them for submission to DHS?

Yeah I worked for a law firm preparing their application packets for DHS/State several years ago before I fell into doing tech by way of film school.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
One of our customers does first five characters of the last name, first initial for their accounts. Poor Elaine Dickman. She's pleaded with the IT staff, but they refuse to change her ID unless her name legally changes.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

GI_Clutch posted:

One of our customers does first five characters of the last name, first initial for their accounts. Poor Elaine Dickman. She's pleaded with the IT staff, but they refuse to change her ID unless her name legally changes.

Now that's much more of a good reason to hate the IT department. Seriously, how much would it hurt to change a username in these minor cases?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

e: nm

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GI_Clutch posted:

It's all fun and games until she realizes she's one sexual harassment lawsuit away from revenge.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

flosofl posted:

But policies, procedures and ticketing systems are in place for a reason.

Pfft. What are these "policies" and "procedures" you speak of.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

baquerd posted:

It's all fun and games until she realizes she's one sexual harassment lawsuit away from revenge.

Not so; if her username is chosen by rigid policy rather than an arbitrary decision, then she'll have a harder time proving a malicious intent.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Coredump posted:

Pfft. What are these "policies" and "procedures" you speak of.

poo poo that actually happened today, on a Friday, after lunchtime:

"Hi, we're a bunch of salty oily old offshore roughnecks who have worked on oilrigs all our lives with no finer tool than a 15" wrench and hammer. We start working in an office in London on Monday and we need some of those lappetitoppies and something called an veeeee peeeee ennnn. No our managers aren't available to make or approve the requests, they just said to go to IT and you would fix that poo poo for us".

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

evol262 posted:

They're generally a lot better informed than you're giving them credit for here. Your CIO may not be able to walk onto the floor and do your job, especially if he/she's been in that role for a while, but they could probably learn how to in a couple of days.

Given that my CIO isn't aware of the concept of active directory, let alone how it works, I suspect not.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
It depends on the person, it really varies a lot. I've had CIOs that were very tech-oriented, and I've had ones that were mostly just finance guys who got slotted into a spot where there was a need. To be honest, the finance guys are easier to work with.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My boss (director of IT) used to be the cost accountant here, and is a pretty good guy to work with. Although all he talks about is playing World of Warcraft.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

guppy posted:

It depends on the person, it really varies a lot. I've had CIOs that were very tech-oriented, and I've had ones that were mostly just finance guys who got slotted into a spot where there was a need. To be honest, the finance guys are easier to work with.

Wow, now that I think about it, that's been my experience as well. Never made the connection before. The "tech" CIO always wanted to poke his nose into poo poo and make recommendations that made sense 10 years ago in the Land Before Time, but unworkable in the current environments. The "non-tech" CIOs focused strictly on management and interfacing with the board for us. The best one I ever had was basically, "We hired you for your expertise, so I'm going to trust you know what you're talking about. Just don't make me, the group, or this company look bad."

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
"Hi, I quit this company months ago, but I need to log into my email so that I can get a copy of the emails about my sons handball team"

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

A consultant is asked to look at a few servers that have some horrific ancient software installed on them. He tells me he can't remote onto them, and I discover they are win 2000 machines... Asking around I find the standard way is to use VNC and access them that way. I advise the consultant and give him the details.

A few days pass and I don't hear back from him, so I send an email just to make sure he's able to access them fine.

"No, because I don’t have VNC."

Could you... could you perhaps go get a copy? It is free?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

New boss, new headaches.

Old boss, who was needlessly great at her job, got promoted, and the new replacement doesn't seem to understand his new job. The role is basically all political, making sure that we can do our jobs and only interacting with us(in a work context) when something goes wrong, but he seems to think he needs to be part of our process. The problem there is that the process is the result of years of refinement(also knee jerk reactions) and is poorly documented at best, and there are so many overlapping groups that no on actually knows for sure who does what.

I am on loan to him for a while, since this departments UNIX team is having problems and he is too new to do anything about it, but I have been retasked 3 times this week and don't know what the hell to do anymore :smithicide:

The most recent retasking is to take over the most entry level position in the department, while also documenting everything that every group in IT does and basically writing job descriptions for people whos jobs I don't know.
:wtc:

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE
The obvious solution is to write yourself a better job description that does not have that clusterfuck in it :v:

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003

evol262 posted:

C-levels and directors don't need to know gritty tech stuff (or how to fake it), since their role is organizational leadership, budgeting, and broad sweeps for tech. While in some sense their role is to lean of key players and fight political battles with other stakeholders, it's stupid to assume they're blustering their way through large-scale technical decision making with business-speak and buzzwords

Your generalization is about as accurate as mine. I've seen both sides, and probably the best I've had was completely non-tech-savvy but he'd been a military guy who had done logistics, and would just admit it and leverage the hell out of us. Sorry if I hit you where it lived on that one, it wasn't my intention. It's just that most guys who get to the upper levels are more about management and planning than actual tech knowledge. In this case it's about smuggling this gentleman into the clubbe through the back door, and faking it will most certainly come in handy if there's parts of that interview where they hit on tech knowledge he doesn't have.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Boogalo posted:

it was 33 in the bed and another 8 in the back.
I've got a v6 so that's equivalent to DSL.
Except that I can't do simultaneous upload and download.

deimos posted:

Depends on the packet loss. :v:
:bravo:

I am the new moVey. I've already condensed 2 of our warehouses into 1 and now that one needs to move into an office that has a 10x25 "warehouse"
both of the other 2 warehouses were bigger than this entire office space.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
rent a van

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

quote:

Herndon Employees

As you may have heard, someone brought a toy Nerf gun into the building this morning. Security was notified, Fairfax County police were called and we monitored the situation. The Contractor who brought the gun into the office, came down to the lobby and turned it over to the police when he heard about the commotion.

The Fairfax County Police responded and interviewed the contractor and determined there was no threat, he only had a TOY gun. The gun was removed from the premise.

Please note, guns of any type, toy or real are not allowed on company property.

Kelly

NO FUN ALLOWED.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Bhodi posted:

NO FUN ALLOWED.

Adding another reason to my list entitled "Northern Virginia Is The Worst"

We have multiple Nerf guns in the office though I also work at a TV production company...

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

go3 posted:

rent a van

That would require a budget.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

it was 33 in the bed and another 8 in the back.
I've got a v6 so that's equivalent to DSL.
Except that I can't do simultaneous upload and download.

:bravo:

I am the new moVey. I've already condensed 2 of our warehouses into 1 and now that one needs to move into an office that has a 10x25 "warehouse"
both of the other 2 warehouses were bigger than this entire office space.

Don't move the companies stuff on your dime. What happens if you just have a car?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

deimos posted:

That would require a budget.

What kind of nerf gun was it?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

thebigcow posted:

What kind of nerf gun was it?

No idea, it was in a sister building. I guess some people started emailing "LOL REALLY?!" emails so there was a followup. It was spray-painted black so uh, I guess calling the police immediately was a legitimate response if you squint really hard?

quote:

This morning there was a concern at the facility which required a police response. Law enforcement was contacted about an individual in the facility with a possible weapon. Law Enforcement responded, located the individual and determined the weapon was a Toy Nerf gun, that was spray painted black. Law enforcement interviewed the individual and determined there was no threat to employees. The individual and the toy gun were removed from the facility.

Understandably, employees have expressed concerns regarding their safety and security at work. We are committed to providing a safe and secure work environment for our employees. The Security Team will be on site next week to address any concerns and to provide Workplace Violence Training to employees. We will also be partnering with HR to ensure all employee concerns are addressed. We will provide additional information as to times and locations in a follow-up email.

For any immediate concerns, please reach out to:

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 16, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

quote:

The Security Team will be on site next week to address any concerns and to provide Workplace Violence Training to employees.
I see they're one of those, punish everyone for the transgressions of one kind of places.

NINJA EDIT: Unless it's training on HOW to commit Workplace Violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
What is it with some places. Our solaris manager came in with
http://www.ballerhouse.com/2009/06/19/nerf-set-to-drop-fully-automatic-havoc/:magical:
. Basically:

and all we wanted to do was to have him shoot that gun at everyone.

I guess it's only a threat when it's a nerf handgun but never when it's a nerf deployable machinegun?

• Locked thread