Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Cythereal posted:

I doubt it on the simple reason that I can't see Blizzard killing one of their two female characters who get any kind of story prominence. Blizzard in general has an atrocious record when it comes to female characters and doubly so when it comes to their outfits and character design, but I don't think they'll kill one of the only two female characters in WoW who casual players probably know.

According to her book she almost did.

But on the other hand we have Sylvannus, who is mustache twirlingly evil what with her human farms and the Rape of Gilneas. But everyone is obnoxiously blind to that fact simply because otherwise the horde would lose a player race.

VVV The fact that she's and Kalec are an item now probably helps.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Cythereal posted:

I doubt it on the simple reason that I can't see Blizzard killing one of their two female characters who get any kind of story prominence. Blizzard in general has an atrocious record when it comes to female characters and doubly so when it comes to their outfits and character design, but I don't think they'll kill one of the only two female characters in WoW who casual players probably know.

Yeah what I've heard is that she chilled the gently caress out in the off-season between Mists and Warlords and probably isn't on the road to full crazytown anymore.

Kurieg posted:

her human farms

Be fair that was a dude who'd gone so rogue even the Forsaken couldn't tolerate what he was up to, and they MELTED A TOWN not terribly far away.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 16, 2015

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Feinne posted:

Yeah what I've heard is that she chilled the gently caress out in the off-season between Mists and Warlords and probably isn't on the road to full crazytown anymore.

A flip-flop on her character that doesn't surprise me because again, she is one of two female characters in WoW with any character or name recognition so I highly doubt Blizzard will kill her.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It's incredible that they let Tyrande waste away unused like that.

Was I really the only kid that thought "they wuv each other!" about Raynor and Kerrigan when playing the original Starcraft?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
I'm happier with her doing 'unspecified racial leader things' instead of whatever actual specified things Blizzard would have her do.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Feinne posted:

I'm happier with her doing 'unspecified racial leader things' instead of whatever actual specified things Blizzard would have her do.

Better than suddenly being a lovestruck teenage girl around Malfurion, that's true. Perhaps they could show her as the woman she was in WC3? Is that really too much to ask?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Torrannor posted:

Better than suddenly being a lovestruck teenage girl around Malfurion, that's true. Perhaps they could show her as the woman she was in WC3? Is that really too much to ask?

She gets a bit of it in Siege of Orgrimmar where she single-handedly breaks open the gates to the city, but that's about it.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Time to wax a bit on the Player Characters of Starcraft.

Several times during SC and Brood War briefings various characters speak directly to the player, implying that the player is in fact present in the universe as a character. In a few cases we even know which character the player is!

The Terran campaign of Starcraft puts the player in the role of the Mar Sara Magistrate, little information exists about the Magistrate and he won't ever be mentioned ever again after the Terran campaign. That said, Raynor gets referred to as 'Commander' multiple times in SC2 which implies that the character concept for the Magistrate was merged with Raynor. The fate of the Magistrate is otherwise unknown.

The Zerg campaign puts the player in the role of a newly born Cerebrate the Overmind has just created to serve as a guardian for Kerrigan. This Cerebrate doesn't live long enough to get a name or develop a personality but does demonstrate remarkable competence and is thus given the important role of opening the gate to allow the Overmind to personally arrive on Aiur. This Cerebrate is basically the Overmind's 'special ops' guy and he dies on Aiur along with the Overmind and many other Cerebrates when Tassadar drops a Khala + Void bomb on the Overmind in the form of turning his entire Supercarrier into a ball of energy and firing it into the Overmind's great big squishy brain.

The Protoss campaign puts the player in the role of a shiny new Executor who has just been promoted in response to the Zerg invasion of Aiur. Unlike the previous two PC's we know exactly what happened to this Executor; it's Artanis!

In Brood War the player takes up the role of 3 entirely new characters.

In the Protoss campaign the player is a different unnamed Executor, unlike with Artanis there hasn't been any official word on who this was but Metzen has hinted a few times that it was Selendis and that seems to fit, so it was probably Selendis.

In the Terran campaign the player takes on the role of an unnamed UED Captain. The fate of the Captain is unknown; he probably died with the UED fleet but there are still a few UED survivors around so :iiam:

Finally, in the Zerg campaign the player takes on the role of a renegade Unnamed Cerebrate that was part of Daggoth's swarm. After the Overmind died Kerrigan basically swept in and severed this Cerebrates ties to the Second Overmind so as to use it herself. This Cerebrate was later executed by Kerrigan after the end of the Brood War when she no longer required its services.

There are a few other PCs from the various 'DLC' style extra missions Blizzard released for Brood War but none of them are referred to outside of their respective missions.

In Starcraft II Blizzard decided to do away with the whole 'the player is a real person in the universe' thing and instead you are just following the stories of Raynor, Kerrigan and Artanis respectively for the 3 campaigns. The decision to remove the concept is apparently one Blizzard have just decided on across the board and will not show up again in future Blizzard games.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I always got the impression that the Cerebrate in BW was the same as the Cerebrate from the first zerg campaign.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Blizzard has never really caught on to the fact that their games are ridiculously popular because of the gameplay, not so much because of the lore. That's why they assume everyone who plays their games is a rabid fanatic who knows every last detail of everyone's backstories, rather than giving any exposition or justifications outside of a long out-of-print book that came out over a decade ago. Even the old Star Wars EU did a better job of that, and everything has a backstory.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Neruz posted:

I'm about 90% sure that the reason the player character is directly referred to in earlier Blizzard RTS titles is because Westwood was the only other developer on the block, and they keep referring to the player as a character throughout their C&C series.

Westwood never stopped doing that, though.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Westwood stopped being though :C

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

GodFish posted:

I always got the impression that the Cerebrate in BW was the same as the Cerebrate from the first zerg campaign.

Nope, the one in BW is explicitly called out as being part of Daggoth's Brood prior to Kerrigan severing its connection to the Second Overmind. The one in the first Zerg campaign died on Aiur with the Overmind.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I just want to chime in and thank everyone who has made an effort-post on SC lore. I'm pretty terrible at the games, but I've always enjoyed the setting and style.

Kind of a shame that they stopped referring to the player directly; that was always something I always really liked. It got me a lot more involved with the story.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Neruz posted:

Time to stop reading the thread until the next update.

(:v:)

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Hey I'm not forcing anyone to read my effortposts on the stupid story of this stupid game, feel free to ignore me :v:

Also, it was mentioned in one of the videos that the in-game models are somewhat inaccurately scaled; to give you an idea of how inaccurately scaled here is a picture of an Ultralisk about to step on a Siege Tank.

In-universe Ultralisks are a little more intimidating than their in-game counterparts :stare:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Neruz posted:

In-universe Ultralisks are a little more intimidating than their in-game counterparts :stare:

Maybe it's just a fully-grown 'lisk, and they never stop getting bigger?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Captain Bravo posted:

Maybe it's just a fully-grown 'lisk, and they never stop getting bigger?

And a battlecruiser is small enough that a line of seven marines is longer than it. Right.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Captain Bravo posted:

Time to stop reading the thread until the next update.

(:v:)

But don't you want to hear more about Matt Ward Lite? :v:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah in-universe Battlecruisers are bigger than Aircraft Carriers; usually somewhere in the realm of 500 meters long and carrying 5000 - 7000 crew. The game is just explicitly not to scale.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Neruz posted:

That's the Tarrasque, duh!

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 16, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Jobbo_Fett posted:

That's the Terrasque, duh!

Nope that's a screenshot from the HotS Intro cinematic and it shows about half a dozen Ultralisks of similar size. The in-game models of many units and structures are simply scaled down for gameplay purposes.

We'll meet the biggest offender of scaling down near the end of Wings of Liberty in fact; a certain Zerg unit that we'll talk about when it shows up.

e: I found a thing that shows a bunch of units to-scale. There might be a few minor spoilers for units that we havn't seen yet so consider yourself warned.
Starcraft to Scale

Neruz fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 16, 2015

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Right I remember which one you're talking about now but can't you miss fighting that unit?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Spudd posted:

Right I remember which one you're talking about now but can't you miss fighting that unit?

Nope if you don't get it in one mission it shows up later in the next mission instead.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Neruz posted:

Nope that's a screenshot from the HotS Intro cinematic and it shows about half a dozen Ultralisks of similar size. The in-game models of many units and structures are simply scaled down for gameplay purposes.

We'll meet the biggest offender of scaling down near the end of Wings of Liberty in fact; a certain Zerg unit that we'll talk about when it shows up.

e: I found a thing that shows a bunch of units to-scale. There might be a few minor spoilers for units that we havn't seen yet so consider yourself warned.
Starcraft to Scale

I miss reavers :C

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Getting Scarab pathing wrong and blowing up all your own dudes really was an essential part of the Protoss ExperienceTM.

Reavers are actually in the game so they might show up in Legacy. I don't think we'll see them in Wings or Heart though :smith:

Neruz fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 16, 2015

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Nalesh posted:

I miss reavers :C

Everyone who played Brood War thinks this. :smith:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

I wasn't even a toss player in BW, I just liked how they looked and functioned :smith:

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Neruz posted:

Getting Scarab pathing wrong and blowing up all your own dudes really was an essential part of the Protoss ExperienceTM.

Reavers are actually in the game so they might show up in Legacy. I don't think we'll see them in Wings or Heart though :smith:

Alas, reavers' scarabs did not damage your own units. Spider mines and tanks both did friendly fire, and kiting spider mines into the terran army with fast zealots is a standard strategy.

It is highly unlikely that reavers will make their return. Even in SC1, reavers were so strong they had to make scarab pathing worse in one of the very few SC1 balance patches. If you consider just how much more clumpy units are in SC2, a reaver would be completely broken. On the other hand, it is certainly possible they will appear in the single player campaign.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Cythereal posted:

She gets a bit of it in Siege of Orgrimmar where she single-handedly breaks open the gates to the city, but that's about it.

Which is probably for the better considering Jaina and Sylvanas's flip flopping.

Though I keep thinking in the latest Expansion: "Why can't we just drop Scourge and Valkyrs in to sort out these warmongering Orcs. I mean, who's gonna miss em?"

RIP human farm.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Synastren posted:

Even in SC1, reavers were so strong they had to make scarab pathing worse in one of the very few SC1 balance patches.

Who knew this was even possible.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Synastren posted:

Alas, reavers' scarabs did not damage your own units. Spider mines and tanks both did friendly fire, and kiting spider mines into the terran army with fast zealots is a standard strategy.

What are you sure I quite clearly remember killing a bunch of my own Zealots when my Reavers opened fire on the Zerg they were attacking and the Scarabs found themselves unable to path to the Zerg so they just blew the gently caress up in the rear of my Zealot blob.

I also remember Scarabs just having the worst pathing and constantly blowing up in the wrong places. The SC2 Reaver is much improved in that regard even if it is currently unused outside of custom maps.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah I am sure Scarabs murdered my own dudes.

I need to watch old pro BW matches again.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Scarabs don't do damage to your own units. Psionic storm does, but not reaver scarabs.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Was that something that changed in a patch maybe? I definitely remember scarabs having friendly fire.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Neruz posted:

Was that something that changed in a patch maybe? I definitely remember scarabs having friendly fire.

No, it never was changed. I've been playing the game since 1998 and have never seen it do damage to my own units. Maybe to allied units, but never my own. Same goes for lurker spines.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Neruz posted:

Yeah in-universe Battlecruisers are bigger than Aircraft Carriers; usually somewhere in the realm of 500 meters long and carrying 5000 - 7000 crew. The game is just explicitly not to scale.

I dunno, it looks like they may be a bit bigger than that, or maybe the HotS opening is not to scale...?

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

I dunno, it looks like they may be a bit bigger than that, or maybe the HotS opening is not to scale...?

BC's are wide motherfuckers, not long.

I'm also thinking he forgot a 0.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Spudd posted:

BC's are wide motherfuckers, not long.

I'm also thinking he forgot a 0.

That's just its "head" though. I mean maybe perspective is just messing with me, but it looks like they're the size of a city. 5000 meters would makes sense on this scale, but then it's much harder to explain how a bunch of guys with machine guns can just shoot it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

That's just its "head" though. I mean maybe perspective is just messing with me, but it looks like they're the size of a city. 5000 meters would makes sense on this scale, but then it's much harder to explain how a bunch of guys with machine guns can just shoot it down.

It's a Blizzard story so just go with ~*CORRUPTION*~ let's them shoot it down.

• Locked thread