Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Hm I think Bronie is trollin'

I don't see hungarians being in Flames of War unless they are listed inside of germans in an ally tab/page/button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Hm I think Bronie is trollin'
You may be onto something.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Herr Tog posted:

I don't see hungarians being in Flames of War unless they are listed inside of germans in an ally tab/page/button

Hungarians are in the late-war book Grey Wolf, along with Finns and lots and lots of Germans. I'm not sure exactly where you're looking, but they do have their own page in the FoW online store so you can see what kind of stuff they can bring. You can also go to http://fowlists.blogspot.com to take a look at what kind of lists you can take, and what options are available.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Hungarians are in the late-war book Grey Wolf, along with Finns and lots and lots of Germans. I'm not sure exactly where you're looking, but they do have their own page in the FoW online store so you can see what kind of stuff they can bring. You can also go to http://fowlists.blogspot.com to take a look at what kind of lists you can take, and what options are available.

Thank you! I was looking on the army building thing.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Herr Tog posted:

Thank you! I was looking on the army building thing.

Ah, that makes sense. Their army builder is pretty new, so as of now it's only updated for the most recent books, making it pretty limited for what you're trying to do.

As for picking an army, I've found that most people go down one of two tracks:

-They want to re-create an force that took part in a particular battle, such as American Paratroopers at D-Day or British armor during Market Garden, OR

-They want to use something that looks cool or has a particularly silly gimmick, such as King Tigers or American TD's.

So what you may want to do now is look up particular units that you've read about and see if you can field them in the game, or just go through that site and see how many King Tigers you can stuff in a particular list. There's a lot you can do with the game, and if you play it smart you can even proxy the same models in different armies, especially stuff like StuGs and Shermans. And if you have any questions about anything in particular, just feel free to ask!

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Is osprey press still recommended for looking into such things? Or is the internet good enough?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Herr Tog posted:

Is osprey press still recommended for looking into such things? Or is the internet good enough?

WW2 info is so accessible that wikipedia and google searches will usually be enough for an overview, and then you can buy books once you are ready to dig deeper. There's also a ton of good documentaries on youtube etc. if you want some inspiration.

As for army lists and such it'a pretty helpful to read up on some forums where you can find out how people build their armies, and see how they did it and whether it appeals to you.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
This guy has a little bit on FoW Hungarian painting.

http://cracdeschevaliers.blogspot.com/search/label/WW2%20Hungarians?m=0

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Herr Tog posted:

If you want to look up very basic technical specifications (weight, dimensions, etc), then Wikipedia is acceptable. Other than that, it's full of dumb mistakes made by the fastest-clicking neckbeard that watches his favourite page like a hawk and the ridiculous "no primary sources" policy. Documentaries on YouTube can really be hit or miss. Osprey books can be, too, but at least they don't perpetuate ridiculous myths like the History Channel.

Quoting myself from the Military History thread:

Ensign Expendable posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Armored-Thunderbolt-U-S-Sherman-World/dp/0811704246 or anything by Zaloga, really.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Commanding-Red-Armys-Sherman-Tanks/dp/0803229208

Loza is the loving boss, and he also did a thing on I Remember that you can read for free: http://english.iremember.ru/tankers/17-dmitriy-loza.html

There are a ton of good interviews in I Remember (infinitely more in Russian, of course). If you're not limiting yourself to books, then here's some good stuff:
The Chieftain's Hatch: The_Chieftain is a tank combat veteran with a passion for military history. Yes, this is a video game website, but Wargaming takes their background research very seriously. This is largely focused on Western Allied vehicles, but there's plenty of communist goodness to go around. Recent articles specifically tackle Fury and myths of tank combat on the Western Front.
Tank Archives: Shameless self promotion! I run a blog on tanks, with a boatload of primary documents. A lot of it is on the technical and tactical tidbits. I also translate articles from the Russian World of Tanks website that deal with high level overviews of tank battles. I don't really delve into that sort of thing myself. I focus mostly on the Eastern Front, but there are other parts as well.
The Tank and AFV Blog: Does the same thing I do, but for Western Allied vehicles. I hope you like Shermans.
The Crusader Project: Relies on primary documents, but quotes them somewhat infrequently. Nevertheless, an excellent collection of sources on the North African theater.
A post I wrote way at the beginning of the thread that gives a very brief overview of armoured warfare.
An Effortpost by our very own Rossmum on why the Panther isn't all it's made out to be by people that have a poor understanding of tank warfare.
The same thing about the Tiger, but a lot longer and actually sourced.

Things not to read:
Death Traps, or anything associated with Belton Cooper, including History Channel shows.
Sledgehammers. Wilbeck's research of things other than Tiger battalion diaries is limited at best.
Anything from achtungpanzer (the website, not the book). It's like Wikipedia with less stringent requirements for citations.
Anything from Christo's Intel Corner. This guy appears more credible than achtungpanzer by at least pretending to have citations, but he pulls a Viktor Suvorov-esque stunt of either making up sources that don't exist or completely, wilfully or otherwise, misunderstanding very simple concepts.
OperationBarbarossa.net: this guy's historical analysis consists of pulling unrelated numbers, wanking over sick K:D ratios, and claiming that his work is somehow revolutionary.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Thanks guys!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Live anywhere near central Illinois?

Free on February 6-8?

Want to play some games and maybe win some auction items?

Why not stop by Winter War 42?

$15 for the weekend plus $2 per event you play in.

A bunch of historical tabletop games are on the schedule including:

Muskets & Tomahawks
Regimental Fire & Fury
Square Bashing 2012
Wings of Glory
Bonaparte
GASLIGHT
Divisional Commander
Kameraden
Black Powder

As well as a bunch of Role Playing and Board Game events.

If enough of us come out I'll toss together a goonmeet at the convention.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 9, 2015

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Goon Project: build a new website for peter pig.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Please somebody do this.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I'm honestly about to paint up some PP 15mm figures that have no pics on the site and send them. He saw some of the stuff I painted up of his earlier and asked if I could, but I never had time to get around to it.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Lol. Funny enough just got 2 platoon packs, German and Brits for 1944+. Nice figures.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

As much as I love Peter Pig, their aesthetic always reminds me of the Doozers:

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Holy poo poo I'm deep in the grog. Buying foreign rare books about the Slovak army in WW2 and sourcing commissioned models from the old country for my Slovak 28mm BA army. Dang

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, Baccus' new website actually looks halfway decent.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

Whoaaaaat

I pour a forty for one of our fallen badly designed sites. At least TMP is still coded in the mid-90's.

My club is planning to do some tests with my old 6mm Baccus Nappys to see if we want to try it in 28mm. Anyone doing 28mm Napoleonics? We have a volunteer Russian player, and I'm leaning towards French. I'd love to go almost all plastic if possible, but any recommendations to go for an early French or late French style?

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jan 16, 2015

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

Wow! Pictures, navigable menus, it's amazing!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Colonial Air Force posted:

Wow! Pictures, navigable menus, it's amazing!

The last version had pictures, but the navigation and color scheme were abysmal.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

The last version had pictures, but the navigation and color scheme were abysmal.

Checked their forums, 1/2 of posts were asking to get the green background back. Grogs will be grogs.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Would this be the place to ask about how good Wings of Glory is?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Azran posted:

Would this be the place to ask about how good Wings of Glory is?

Im assuming the repackaged version is the same as the origianl release Wings of War? If so, yeah its good, a lot of fun.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Indolent Bastard posted:

Yeah, Baccus has never been top-tier Bad Website (it's always actually had an online shop!) but the new website at least looks like it was made in the last five years.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Is Baccus the best producer of 6mm ancients?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Throbbing blob posted:

Is Baccus the best producer of 6mm ancients?

Not that many other good options, no. Two manufacturers that I also see commonly recommended are Rapier and Heroics & Ros (speaking of, both having amazingly old style websites. Heroics & Ros doesn't have a webshop, but you can order by fax if you want to). The general concensus seems to be that Baccus and Rapier are easier to mix size-wise, while H&R are more "true" 6mm.

Irregular miniatures are a mixed bag, and they tend to look worse as individual miniatures. Some people like them for bulk troops.

In the end they all cover slightly different options, so it's quite likely that you'll use a little bit from each range.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Thanks. We're considering a Roman theme for a 2016 project so I'm just researching the options.

Also, fax? Wtf?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Throbbing blob posted:

Thanks. We're considering a Roman theme for a 2016 project so I'm just researching the options.

Also, fax? Wtf?

It's a thing among brit grognards I guess, Irregular does it as well actually. Order by fax, picking it up at a local show ("postage is expensive!"), and complaining that you can't see well enough to paint anything sub-54mm. The British historical community in a nutshell.

Romans and Greek armies look amazing in 6mm since you can get those huge blocks of troops, and both maniples and phalanxes look better en masse. Easy to paint too. I personally don't think that "barbarian" armies look as good in 6mm, but that's me. If I were to set up two 6mm armies I'd go with Romans and something Hellenistic/Carthaginian.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Otto Carius just died.

http://www.tiger-apotheke.de/

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

lilljonas posted:

It's a thing among brit grognards I guess, Irregular does it as well actually. Order by fax, picking it up at a local show ("postage is expensive!"), and complaining that you can't see well enough to paint anything sub-54mm. The British historical community in a nutshell.

Romans and Greek armies look amazing in 6mm since you can get those huge blocks of troops, and both maniples and phalanxes look better en masse. Easy to paint too. I personally don't think that "barbarian" armies look as good in 6mm, but that's me. If I were to set up two 6mm armies I'd go with Romans and something Hellenistic/Carthaginian.

Agreed, random colors just don't look great on 6mm, I'm going for a palette of yellow, green and blue rather than everything under the sun to try to unify somewhat.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Might be worth checking your local stores for cheap Zvezda stuff around now. Seems that the falling Rouble has resulted in it dropping by about 25% in price here. Convenient.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
My local shop has Zvezda at 200% MSRP anyway, I doubt they'll drop prices :(

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

I doubt they'll drop prices :(

Same here, I can see 2 outcomes:
a. "We paid X for this so we're selling it for X + standard markup anyway, gently caress you"
b. "We're getting it cheaper? Great, more profit to us, gently caress you"

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So depressed - a multi faction dba barbarian army prepped for combat but nobody to play :(

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Southern Heel posted:

So depressed - a multi faction dba barbarian army prepped for combat but nobody to play :(

Buy an opposing army, press gang a friend to play you.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Well I'm looking at Victrix ancient greeks, and considering putting together skirmish forces for Ancient Saga, the new Victrix rules set, homebrew etc.

Anyone got them?

Also do the Wargames Factory Skeletons make good Children of the Hydras Teeth?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I think those are what they're modeled on, just make sure you get the new easy assemble box.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Pierzak posted:

a. "We paid X for this so we're selling it for X + standard markup anyway, gently caress you"
The place I found mine in is known for being run by a guy who's nickname is "what's my cut?".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

My local shop has Zvezda at 200% MSRP anyway, I doubt they'll drop prices :(

Pierzak posted:

Arquinsiel posted:

The place I found mine in is known for being run by a guy who's nickname is "what's my cut?".

Hey! Sounds just like my old LGS! "Oh, we paid $2.50 for these, MSRP is $5, but the comparable FoW model is roughly $14 a piece? Okay, $10.95."