Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It'll be fine you worrywort!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
What were cops in various euro countries driving in the 70s, I need to imagine what the euro bluesmobile looks like

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Chantilly Say posted:

What were cops in various euro countries driving in the 70s, I need to imagine what the euro bluesmobile looks like

a trabant with one of those aoogah bike horns mounted on the driver side door

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
So I've been reading up on the theory of guerilla warfare, mostly stuff published in the wake of Vietnam, and the sheer number of pitfalls various authors pointed out in counter-insurgency strategy that we have managed to stumble into since then has me really depressed. I knew the War on Terror was stupid as soon as I heard the phrase, but the fact that people could have broken down the political, social and economic reasons why it was stupid forty years before it was implemented is just a real kick in the balls.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

So I've been reading up on the theory of guerilla warfare, mostly stuff published in the wake of Vietnam, and the sheer number of pitfalls various authors pointed out in counter-insurgency strategy that we have managed to stumble into since then has me really depressed. I knew the War on Terror was stupid as soon as I heard the phrase, but the fact that people could have broken down the political, social and economic reasons why it was stupid forty years before it was implemented is just a real kick in the balls.

You wanna bring up any specific thoughts you had? If we were fighting the war on terror like we did Vietnam, we'd be killing a lot more terrorists. Unfortunately, the proliferation of inexpensive video recording and personal media consumption has made previous strategies inoperable due to lack of sufficient political will.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

My Imaginary GF posted:

You wanna bring up any specific thoughts you had? If we were fighting the war on terror like we did Vietnam, we'd be killing a lot more terrorists. Unfortunately, the proliferation of inexpensive video recording and personal media consumption has made previous strategies inoperable due to lack of sufficient political will.

A lot of it is the reliance on air campaigns to fight an insurgency, 'clear and hold' like patrols, basically still having the mentality of trying to gain and hold territory and rack up a body count. American political will has nothing to do with anything in this case, unless it involves the will to kill every man, woman and child in the country. Which I guess would fall within your gimmick.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

A lot of it is the reliance on air campaigns to fight an insurgency, 'clear and hold' like patrols, basically still having the mentality of trying to gain and hold territory and rack up a body count. American political will has nothing to do with anything in this case, unless it involves the will to kill every man, woman and child in the country. Which I guess would fall within your gimmick.

Territory has little intrinsic value beyond the food which it produces, something that our modern sensibilities allow terrorists to use as a weapon, yet prohibit our policy implementation aimed at curtailing the external supply of.

Which is an interesting question: are all humanitarian convoys, even those which prolong a civil war, legal to combat areas? What separates the Russian 'humanitarian aid' convoys from the Turkish flotilla to Gaza? At what point do you say, "No, you can't provide slavers with food"?

To defeat an insurgency, you have to have a combat force focused on enemy body counts during their clear and hold patrols. Thankfully, for the fight against ISIL, there are the Kurds. Air campaigns are a supplement to aid in the imposition of malthusian dynamics upon opposing forces, a lesson lost after WW2. To defeat an insurgency, the enemy organizations must be held responsible for the starvation of the population under their control, by the population under their control. Only then will the insurgents face their own insurgency.

To defeat an insurgency, you must induce an insurgency.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

My Imaginary GF posted:

Territory has little intrinsic value beyond the food which it produces, something that our modern sensibilities allow terrorists to use as a weapon, yet prohibit our policy implementation aimed at curtailing the external supply of.

Which is an interesting question: are all humanitarian convoys, even those which prolong a civil war, legal to combat areas? What separates the Russian 'humanitarian aid' convoys from the Turkish flotilla to Gaza? At what point do you say, "No, you can't provide slavers with food"?

To defeat an insurgency, you have to have a combat force focused on enemy body counts during their clear and hold patrols. Thankfully, for the fight against ISIL, there are the Kurds. Air campaigns are a supplement to aid in the imposition of malthusian dynamics upon opposing forces, a lesson lost after WW2. To defeat an insurgency, the enemy organizations must be held responsible for the starvation of the population under their control, by the population under their control. Only then will the insurgents face their own insurgency.

To defeat an insurgency, you must induce an insurgency.

Separating the insurgency from it's popular base of support is the key, true. But attempting to remove that base by acting against the base itself, say by removing their food supply, only ties the popular base and the insurgency closer together. Even the brutal Nazi suppression campaigns against partisans and the civilian population that supported them was fruitless. If even the Nazis couldn't apply enough devastating violence to silence insurgencies, what hope do we have?

The Kurds don't stop ISIS because they can magically fight them better, it's because they actually have a base of popular support that few if any governments have in the region. Notice how the Kurds have difficult mounting any kind of operation outside of the areas with significant Kurdish populations. The idea that an insurgency can be defeated by aping their methods and tactics or through a high enough body count is completely missing the political nature of an insurgency, and all previous attempts to do so have failed.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
i wish migf was still probated. its a constant deluge of poo poo. post less for more reactions, imo
otherwise its just noise

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Exclamation Marx posted:

re movies: is frank good?

Yes, very imo. Might not appeal to everyone though.

DEAR FOREIGNERS: Domhnall Gleeson's name is pronounced Doh-nil. You get one warning.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I am the Richard Gere of these forums

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

SedanChair posted:

A charming buddhist closet homosexual, beloved by women in their 40's and 50's? A surprisingly good dancer?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

kustomkarkommando posted:

DEAR FOREIGNERS: Domhnall Gleeson's name is pronounced Doh-nil. You get one warning.

dbopple, got it.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
How is the Gleeson part pronounced, I'm confused.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Are those Rioting Arabs (tm) on the middle TV?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltAfEXce7Jk

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

VanSandman posted:

i wish migf was still probated. its a constant deluge of poo poo. post less for more reactions, imo
otherwise its just noise

Post.....less?

Ha Duke chickened out on broadcasting the adhan because a bunch of bigots who don't even go there mega qq'd over it.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 16, 2015

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Randler posted:

Useless is kind of a strong word for mail order brides.

I know this is kind of pedantic and possibly creepy but, are mail order brides only four figures because that's absurd to actually think about currency value on humans and have it be so low.

E: my buddy's stepmom is an honest to god order bride and loves it here in America. She's very lovely but I can't help but be weird out by her husband who is easily 50 years older than her.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

what's the gerbil's name, or do you go through so many you don't bother with it because it's better to not get too attached?

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

politoons status:

This is art, Fishmech.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What movie do you quote the most in everyday life.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

zoux posted:

Probably Big Lebowski or Idiocracy but I'm talking maybe one movie reference total every couple of months. The is an inverse relationship between how much a person references things and how much they have to say and well you see I am a substantial person AKA fat.

edit: this is analogous to why Joe is right when he says Forrest Gump isn't a good movie. It is basically a pile of references.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 16, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Weird mine's BL or Office Space.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

zoux posted:

MacGruber, Friday or Milo & Otis - at home

E: definitely Office Space or Workaholics (TV though) at my own lovely office job

pangstrom posted:

edit: this is analogous to why Joe is right when he says Forrest Gump isn't a good movie. It is basically a pile of references.

Honestly, the biggest problem with Gump is that the book is actually a huge pile of references while the movie makes sure that Hanks-Gump indirectly manipulated those references to occur and making it way, way more saccharine than necessary. The novel Gump is more B.J Blazkowicz, hell, look at the novel cover.

IMO the most offensive thing in the movie is Gump teaching Elvis how to dance. loving stellar collection of music, though. I still have the four disc set somewhere.

Armani fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 16, 2015

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

zoux posted:

I got extremely drunk once and got stuck on quoting Deadwood. People didn't seem to understand why I kept going on about cocksuckers on the bus.

Yeah that was too drunk.

Probably the Big Lebowski. Also Apocalypse Now and other Vietnam movies.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

our prime minister: "wrote" a history book about hockey and loves the beatles

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Armani posted:

I know this is kind of pedantic and possibly creepy but, are mail order brides only four figures because that's absurd to actually think about currency value on humans and have it be so low.

E: my buddy's stepmom is an honest to god order bride and loves it here in America. She's very lovely but I can't help but be weird out by her husband who is easily 50 years older than her.

What's the best mail order bride site?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Doctor Butts posted:

Truly the question all goons wanted to ask but were too chicken to.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
It's not a movie but I quote Futurama at every opportune moment.

Though when my girlfriend first said that sentence I looked her in the eye and said "I know."

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
One of my dogs is named scooty puff jr.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

One of my dogs is named scooty puff jr.

She sucks

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Read War From the Ground Up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hail Satan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQDRwZIcY3k

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Doctor Butts posted:

I'm pretty sure SA did a front page on such a site billion years ago on their weekend web and promptly invaded the forum into closure with fake usernames.

E: actually, thinking about that makes all the weird groaning about SJW and things lately really funny because that's what SA has always done with it's Goon Rushes. SA was nothing but social justice before it became uncool to invade forums. The numerous Paedogaeddons come to mind.

E2: I am only posting aloud please do not derail to SJW chat OH MY GOD GUYS LOOK A BUNNY USING A TOY DRUM AND BIG BOSS/SNAKE/ IN JUGGALO MAKEUP

http://youtu.be/WgMjqt2PXiY
http://youtu.be/qxgShppev8E

Armani fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 16, 2015

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Doctor Butts posted:

Uhh Tinder?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I try to be with it but I cannot understand a single word Young Thug says.

Hey ESA we found your stupid garbage that doesn't work.

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 16, 2015

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Someone who knows things please kindly explain what is going on with the Euro and Swiss Frac.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Your post has like a perfect SeaLab 2021 vibe

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Someone who knows things please kindly explain what is going on with the Euro and Swiss Frac.

Someone will be along to assist you after the quorum adjourns on Champagne

*14 million years pass*

Armani fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Leave it to the States to bail the UK out... Again.

• Locked thread