Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

New Yorker posted:

Dear Mr Tinsley,

Please stop sending us unsolicited submissions for cartoon to run in The New Yorker, as we have told you many times in the past your work does not meet The New Yorker's standards for publication. Please do not send us anymore.

Please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Duckbag posted:

I find it funny how many people are making the "too late the cartoonists already hosed them all" jokes vs. the "here's your virgins" jokes. Combined with the various CH cartoons' references to "semen" and "babes" it gives me the unsettling impression that European cartoonists might actually get laid once in a while.

Wolinsky has a daughter, Cabu had a son who died before him, and Tignous -- who also worked for role-playing game magazines! -- has four children... I don't know about Honoré. Charb refused to have kids because of the death threats.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jurgan posted:

This morning there was chat about Latuff. I went to school, came home, and saw nearly 300 posts had been added to the thread. I didn't feel like all that, so I skipped to the last page. People are still arguing about Latuff. Well done, goons.

The problem with talking about Latuff and anti-semitism is that you'll never convince his fans for the exact same reason you never convince a Tea Partier that a badly photoshopped inbox picture of Obama as a witch doctor or pimp is racist.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

Latuff is good not because he's right, but because he's really good at his craft.

In that case, Ramirez is the best there is. he does exactly what his employers want.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

TetsuoTW posted:

Also how in the gently caress is this thread already nearly 100 pages just two weeks into the year?
I post way the gently caress too much

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Jesus, is Latuff going to have to go on the Weather Vane List now?

Attitude Indicator posted:

In that case, Ramirez is the best there is. he does exactly what his employers want.
No, Ramirez is good at his job. His craftsmanship is loving terrible. Look at the number of times he draws the exact opposite of what he's trying to convey, or the complete unidentifiability of his caricatures.

e:

Rorus Raz posted:

Fie on that. This thread could use more good posts.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rorus Raz posted:

Yeah, you are definitely not the problem here.

Internet Webguy posted:

A mixed Disney movie metaphor cartoon.

Eh, I don't think he was trying for a Dumbo reference. And given one of them is singing "We won't grow up!", I think its actually a reference to the 1954 stage musical, not the 1953 Disney cartoon.

ladyboy pancake posted:

I am Der Sturmer, the True Self.

He was already the True Self of Persona 2.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

How do you even take down a towering skeleton juggernaut? A Gundam?

Please. We need to heavy poo poo. You use Kratos.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

No, Ramirez is good at his job.

you could argue that his job is his craft, but whatever, i see what you mean.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

TetsuoTW posted:

I kinda feel like Allie could just about be a good cartoonist if he were less spiteful and willfully dense, actually.

Allie is a good artist which is why he's such a tragedy.

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

The Insect Court posted:

The problem with talking about Latuff and anti-semitism is that you'll never convince his fans for the exact same reason you never convince a Tea Partier that a badly photoshopped inbox picture of Obama as a witch doctor or pimp is racist.

This works both ways, of course.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
Je Suis Juif

Time for Europe's Jews to come home to Israel. Time for Europeans to understand that they are being attacked by an Islamist civilization that is bent on destroying them.
Labels: 2015, Aliyah, antisemitism, Europe, France, Islamists, Israel, je suis charlie, Jews, Paris, terror, terror attacks

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

The Insect Court posted:

Why don't you think photoshopping Obama into a witch doctor/pimp is racist? Even if we were to ignore the overtly racist elements of those depictions on their own, Obama grew up in Honolulu and Jakarta and spent his entire adult life in academia and politics. He has no cultural connections to African tribal culture or inner city crime, so any association with either would be based entirely on his skin color. That's the textbook definition of racism.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

TetsuoTW posted:

Also how in the gently caress is this thread already nearly 100 pages just two weeks into the year?

Did you miss the killings of those cartoonists last week?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

e: screw it

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 16, 2015

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

that is a creepy Kirschen for some reason

Maybe because I can see him condemning Jews that don't drop everything and move to Israel as traitors and whipping up some new cuckoo cards.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Je Suis Juif

Time for Europe's Jews to come home to Israel. Time for Europeans to understand that they are being attacked by an Islamist civilization that is bent on destroying them.
Labels: 2015, Aliyah, antisemitism, Europe, France, Islamists, Israel, je suis charlie, Jews, Paris, terror, terror attacks

People are literally killing islamic innocents in retaliation for the attack and Kirschen is still wringing his hands saying "More. MORE!" I mean goddamn, man.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
His call for Jews to leave Europe is pretty gross, it's funny how antisemites and ultra-zionists often have the same goal for different reasons.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Je Suis Juif

Cartoons like this this, and the fact that Netanyahu forced his way into the march even when asked specifically by Hollande not to attend, is not going to win Israel any sympathy points within Europe. How can some of these people be so far up their own rear end?

I'm glad the French-Jewish assemble Netanyahu decided to give his little fear-mongering speech to decided to tell him just what they thought of his "suggestion" by singing La Marseillaise.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Kurtofan posted:

His call for Jews to leave Europe is pretty gross, it's funny how antisemites and ultra-zionists often have the same goal for different reasons.

A lot of anti-semites admire the goals of ultra-zionists - a national project based on blood, soil, land and religion in which everyone has to militarily participate? loving wet dream of people like Brevik.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

voltroon posted:

No idea who the artist is but check out that Netanyahu caricature.

It's Scarfe. All of his cartoons have this sort of visceral grotesqueness to them.
Also he's not Arabic he's British.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jan 16, 2015

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The Insect Court posted:

Yeah that was basically my response upon seeing this post

Post 9-11 User posted:

Found this while cleaning up old files, presented here because the understanding of what Antisemitism looks like seems to have been lost.

":rolleyes: This cartoon about how black people stranded in post-Katrina New Orleans were just too stupid to flee isn't racist, it's just stating the facts! In case you forgot, this is what racism ACTUALLY looks like *Youtube clip of person saying 'I hate all black people because of their blackness and am stating this unequivocally; I assure you this is not a joke'*"

Kurtofan posted:

I'm 100% sure that Kirschen and people like him unironically want anti-Semitic attacks to go through the roof in Europe because it'll drive aliyah. People becoming so terrified that they have to flee their home country to avoid getting murdered or having their property destroyed is worth it in his eyes for just a liiiiiittle more control over demographics.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Stormageddon posted:

People are literally killing islamic innocents in retaliation for the attack and Kirschen is still wringing his hands saying "More. MORE!" I mean goddamn, man.

I can't believe you could say such an antisemitic thing.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Je Suis Juif

So Jews are under threat in Europe so they should come to Israel? But according to Kirschen's comics Israel is constantly under threat from his overblown boogeyman.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Stormageddon posted:

What are you referring to?

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

The Insect Court posted:

Actually the problem is worthless posts like this that aren't based in reality.

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Je Suis Juif

The one time I actually agree with a Kirchen.
Of all the people killed in the attacks, there were only one group who was targeted due to their ethnicity, the jews. Every media outlet I've seen has heavily leaned on the cartoonists and asked themselves what this could mean for muslims in Europe, but there was an actual antisemitic attack. Antisemitic attacks have increased in France for a long time and record amounts of french jews are moving to Israel. The only thing people learned from the attacks are that free speech are under threat, not that the jews in France/Europe are being hunted down. I think that's important to point out. As much as the Charlie Hedbo attack were a symbol of the threat to free speech, the attack on the kocher supermarket were a symbol of the growing antisemitism in Europe.

EDIT: I don't agree that jews should move to Isreal, I agree that the jewish attacks in Paris has been overlooked.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Flaskraven posted:

I think that's important to point out. As much as the Charlie Hedbo attack were a symbol of the threat to free speech, the attack on the kocher supermarket were a symbol of the growing antisemitism in Europe.

I'm pretty sure the attack on the supermarket was attributable to the constant and eternal anti-semitism within radical islamism. That's a pretty separate issue from why more right wing and left wing non-radical islamists have been beating up Jews and loving up synagogues: stupid lefties who seem to think it's some kind of smart way to protest Israel, far right groups who are on the rise. etc.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Important note on that Kyle guy. He died getting shot by another marine with PTSD. This happened because he thought the best way to cure PTSD was to surround PTSD victims with as much firepower as possible and have them use it, which ended up not being true.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Stormageddon posted:

People are literally killing islamic innocents in retaliation for the attack

Can you link me the news on this? I've been looking for muslims being murdered in France in response to the Hebdo killings.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Disinterested posted:

I'm pretty sure the attack on the supermarket was attributable to the constant and eternal anti-semitism within radical islamism. That's a pretty separate issue from why more right wing and left wing non-radical islamists have been beating up Jews and loving up synagogues: stupid lefties who seem to think it's some kind of smart way to protest Israel, far right groups who are on the rise. etc.

So, its the fault of "stupid lefties" that anti-Semites attack Jewish folks?

E:

spacetoaster posted:

Can you link me the news on this? I've been looking for muslims being murdered in France in response to the Hebdo killings.

Article doesn't mention fatalities, but definitely some hate going on.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 16, 2015

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Je Suis Juif

You're not "the Jews", you fuckhead. You're just SOME Jews.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

If only there was a Charlie Hebdo, Middle East or I/P thread in the D&D subforum of Something Awful Dot Com you could be posting in instead of here.

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 16, 2015

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Wales Grey posted:

So, its the fault of "stupid lefties" that anti-Semites attack Jewish folks?

DnD argument process:

1. take view of person
2. interpret it in the manner most offensive and ridiculous to you as possible, regardless of how this relates to what the person said
3. proceed to attack straw man.

No, dumbass, that is not what I said. I was saying that some 'stupid lefties' are part of the rising tide of anti-semites. If you're a left wing anti-semite you're stupid by definition - any kind, really. Anti-semitism isn't the exclusive property of any one group in politics. There is such a thing as left anti-semitism. I think it's probably the least problematic form, but it's real.

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 16, 2015

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Someone should pay Gerald Scarfe to do a fully animated film that's a couple of minutes long abstractly depicting the I/P conflict, with the caveat that it has to be at least as disturbing as that monstrous vagina dentata flower from The Wall.

Or that he just has to animate this thread's argument on Latuff.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I liked this, thought this was pretty fierce for Peters.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

It is January 16, 2015, and this is the second, "Obama is a Muslim" comic by a published cartoonist. The previous one flat out said that Obama is the prophet of Islam. New category?

loquacius posted:

":rolleyes: This cartoon about how black people stranded in post-Katrina New Orleans were just too stupid to flee isn't racist, it's just stating the facts! In case you forgot, this is what racism ACTUALLY looks like *Youtube clip of person saying 'I hate all black people because of their blackness and am stating this unequivocally; I assure you this is not a joke'*"

Saying, "corralling people behind giant prison walls and occasionally slaughtering them en mass may be morally wrong" is racist reminds me of, "murdering citizens may be bad policy" means DeBlazio hates police.

Hail Satan.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 16, 2015

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.

Wales Grey posted:

Article doesn't mention fatalities, but definitely some hate going on.

Yeah, I'm trying to find actual sources for independent attacks, but the only things I'm seeing reported on by major outlets is the non casualty attack on the mosques.

Pander posted:

I liked this, thought this was pretty fierce for Peters.

Religion is one of Peters' favorite subjects to show his teeth over
http://cartoonistgroup.com/store/add.php?iid=489
http://cartoonistgroup.com/store/add.php?iid=666
http://cartoonistgroup.com/store/add.php?iid=77015

http://cartoonistgroup.com/subject/The-Religion-Comics-and-Cartoons-by-Mike+Peters%27+Editorial+Cartoons.php/1

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Post 9-11 User posted:

Saying, "corralling people behind giant prison walls and occasionally slaughtering them en mass may be morally wrong" is racist reminds me of, "murdering citizens may be bad policy" means DeBlazio hates police.

I agree! Whoever said that should be ashamed of themselves!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Target is closing in Canada after a few years of failing to establish a niche with consumers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

The conservative Pope hatred is just boiling over now that he's announced he's stepping into the global warming fight this year.

(also: that's a really lovely caricature of Francis. He's got some lines in his face, but he doesn't have huge saggy jowls like that.)

• Locked thread