Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.

Fat Turkey posted:

My first and only game so far of Caverna ended with me on 55 points and my opponent had 45 or so. Just wondering how those scores were for new players who barely knew the rules and only picked up buildings at the end, so no minmaxing of any kind took place.

Last night the scores for us first timers where 42, 55 and 62. The owner of the game got a round 100 points.

Myself and the 55-pointer were floundering around a bit in the sea of options and didn't manage a clear strategy, 62 kept his food running on the wire but built a load of ruby mines and pretty much had the entire stack of rubies to himself. Winner went in hard with adventuring dorfs and just kept raking it in.

Zveroboy fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Lord Frisk posted:

I've had people ask the same about Pandemic. And Twilight Struggle. If it has a world map, it's gotta be risk, right?

What do you expect them to say? This is a niche hobby and people are going to compare what they see to what they already know. Faulting people for not having an intimate knowledge of your personal hobby is a really socially inept viewpoint.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Megasabin posted:

What do you expect them to say? This is a niche hobby and people are going to compare what they see to what they already know. Faulting people for not having an intimate knowledge of your personal hobby is a really socially inept viewpoint.

Of course I immediately dressed them down, spat in their faces, then kicked them out of my house.

gently caress you very much for hoisting your own hosed up opinion on me.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Post-Christmas purchases were Tash-Kalar and Dungeon Petz. TK ended up being the CGE edition, which was a great surprise! Played three games so far, two against my girlfriend and one against my housemate. All three used the "first game" setup (no legendaries, no advanced objectives for high form, Imperial vs. Imperial) but I'm definitely keen to move onto the full game. Even if I haven't won yet :negative:.

Dungeon Petz is yet to arrive, but drat I'm excited. After having read over the rules a few times recently, I feel fairly confident when it comes to teaching the game. Is there anything in particular I should make sure to emphasise when teaching/anything I may miss?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

The Narrator posted:

Post-Christmas purchases were Tash-Kalar and Dungeon Petz. TK ended up being the CGE edition, which was a great surprise! Played three games so far, two against my girlfriend and one against my housemate. All three used the "first game" setup (no legendaries, no advanced objectives for high form, Imperial vs. Imperial) but I'm definitely keen to move onto the full game. Even if I haven't won yet :negative:.

Dungeon Petz is yet to arrive, but drat I'm excited. After having read over the rules a few times recently, I feel fairly confident when it comes to teaching the game. Is there anything in particular I should make sure to emphasise when teaching/anything I may miss?

You have to inform people that unpurchased pets go off to live at the farm happily for the rest of their days. (As you slide another meat cube into the available pool at the market)

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Zveroboy posted:

Last night the scores for us first timers where 42, 55 and 62. The owner of the game got a round 100 points.

Myself and the 55-pointer were floundering around a bit in the sea of options and didn't manage a clear strategy, 62 kept his food running on the wire but built a load of ruby mines and pretty much had the entire stack of rubies to himself. Winner went in hard with adventuring dorfs and just kept raking it in.

Yeah it kinda felt like adventuring could be kinda strong since it allows you to get a great deal of things, but I can't really comment after one game.

My tactic was to get a bit of everything to help learn about what things did, but ultimately I did a bit more of living out the life I always dreamed of having: tearing down forests to breed donkeys, and have wild pigs breed in my front room.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lord Frisk posted:

I've had people ask the same about Pandemic. And Twilight Struggle. If it has a world map, it's gotta be risk, right?

The Wall Street Journal would say "in Twilight Struggle players try to win support from other countries by using 'influence' instead of troops. Think of it like 'Risk' set in the Cold War!"

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 16, 2015

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

The Narrator posted:

Make sure you read the bios of every pet you introduce at the beginning of the round so you will feel like poo poo when they die from disease or get rendered for 1 food if they aren't sold.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Things you might miss:

- You can't use the whip artifact on the last two exhibitions (the ones right at the end of the game).
- You can only sell from the platform once per turn, even if you are in a two-buyer round.
- If your score in an exhibition is 0 or below, you score 0 VPs
- The last two exhibitions (the ones right before the end of the game) work slightly differently from the other ones: if you have a score below 0, you lose a VP for every exhibition point you are below 0.
- Aforementioned Retirement Farm explanation above.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Chomp8645 posted:

The Wall Street Journal would say "in Twilight Struggle players try to win support from other countries by using 'influence' instead of troops. Think of it like 'Risk' set in the Cold War!"

Well you're writing to an audience who largely only know Parker Brothers games and are probably more interested in the Packers than whatever nerd poo poo you're going on about. You could use up space talking about the rules of TS or you could just call it nuclear poker and use those words to write about stuff the reader actually cares about.

e: The FiveThirtyEight article on TS already shows up near the top if you type "the best board game in the world" into Google anyway.

Gimnbo fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 16, 2015

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Lord Frisk posted:

Of course I immediately dressed them down, spat in their faces, then kicked them out of my house.

gently caress you very much for hoisting your own hosed up opinion on me.

Well your post was clearly making fun of people for confusing more eclectic board games with Risk. Not sure what other interpretation I'm supposed to take away from that? Also what hosed opinion are referencing? The one that we shouldn't expect the average person to recognize niche board games at the drop of a hat, because yes I would like to hoist that opinion on to you.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

My girlfriend's brother has been going on about the XCOM board game for ages now, and since my FLGS is taking pre-orders for it I thought I'd pick up a copy for him as a "getting out of hospital" gift. Can't say I'm surprised he's interested in it, he's pretty much surgically attached to his iPad so the whole app thing is a big attraction.

Reviews seems mixed, some say that under all the theme and the app gimmick, it's just a push-your-luck dice roller. Other say that while it is just that, the tension, theme and the fact that the app does all the book-keeping for you makes it a good game. Any goon opinions?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Boardgame Warehouse really needs to stop teasing that $22 Sheriff of Nottingham at the top of their Deals and Specials when it's out of stock :mad:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Megasabin posted:

Well your post was clearly making fun of people for confusing more eclectic board games with Risk. Not sure what other interpretation I'm supposed to take away from that? Also what hosed opinion are referencing? The one that we shouldn't expect the average person to recognize niche board games at the drop of a hat, because yes I would like to hoist that opinion on to you

It was an anecdote. Your opinion was that I lack social awareness. You don't have the awareness to recognize an anecdote.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
My FLGS was doing a 1:1 trade in on any gift cards in exchange for their own gift cards. I had about 100 bucks of unused ones that I traded in, picked up Keyflower and saving the rest for a rainy day. My list of "games that I have purchased but have not made it to the table" is growing rather rapidly, I think I need to take a break from buying.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Megasabin posted:

Most hilarious one was, though, when we were playing a 4 player team game of Napoleon's Triumph at a con, in a hotel lobby (they had a swankass table), some passers by to the water park stopped, looked at the absolutely beautiful board, with stark red and blue blocks, and asked it with all seriousness.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

When I unwrapped Concordia on Christmas Day my aunt said "Is that one of your daft games then?"

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Zveroboy posted:

When I unwrapped Concordia on Christmas Day my aunt said "Is that one of your daft games then?"

I mean, the answer is always yes, of course!

I like it, daft games. Doesn't appear to be a site yet!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Zveroboy posted:

I had the same kind of issue, my mother didn't get me anything off my Christmas list as it was: "A bunch of toys" So I got socks and cash. The socks are great and guess what I spent the cash on?

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

silvergoose posted:

I mean, the answer is always yes, of course!

Trading wine, tools and cloth across the glorious expanse of the Roman Empire and making vast sums of money in the process is no "daft game" good sir. :colbert:

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

I had the same kind of issue, my mother didn't get me anything off my Christmas list as it was: "A bunch of toys" So I got socks and cash. The socks are great and guess what I spent the cash on?

Catan, Pandemic and more recently Splendor have shattered that image of board games my parents had. I got home last night after my gaming evening at the pub to find my parents had played 3 games of Splendor in a row, we spent 30 minutes discussed strategy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zveroboy posted:

When she unwrapped the bottle of vodka, did you say "Is that one of your breakfast menu items then?"

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

Jedit posted:

When she unwrapped the bottle of vodka, did you say "Is that one of your breakfast menu items then?"

I gave her the stone-cold death stare of a nerd whose 100% super serious totally adult hobby of putting little wooden houses on a board of anicent Rome and trading little cardboard coins has just been slandered in the most brutal, heart-breaking way.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of Ancient Rome... I really want a Rome themed board game (since between the history of Rome podcast and total war rome 2 I've been on a huge roman kick), any recommendations on that theme alone? I'd prefer something not too crunchy, but I'm open to pretty much any type of board game.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Zveroboy posted:

Trading wine, tools and cloth across the glorious expanse of the Roman Empire and making vast sums of money in the process is no "daft game" good sir. :colbert:

It's not a real boardgame unless it involves the wholesale murder of your fellow man :colbert:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

When my mother asked me once how I spent my time abroad, among the things I mentioned was board games, and she asked "Oh, like those games Sheldon plays?"

Yes, mother, exactly like those :smith:

e: Just to make it clear to any goons who might want to rag on me for expecting my mother to know how fun and cool board games are, the smith icon is because she probably thinks that I am a huge autistic nerd. Also unfunny.

Rexides fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 16, 2015

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

jivjov posted:

Speaking of Ancient Rome... I really want a Rome themed board game (since between the history of Rome podcast and total war rome 2 I've been on a huge roman kick), any recommendations on that theme alone? I'd prefer something not too crunchy, but I'm open to pretty much any type of board game.

Murder, sleeze, schemes and gladiators: Spartacus

Trading goods and making loads of money: Concordia

Thats about the limit of my experience :shrug:

Board Game Thread 2015: "Oh, like those games Sheldon plays?"

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

jivjov posted:

I really like Trajan, if you are into worker placement euros you might like this one. Of course like any euro, the theme is mostly cosmetic but it is a great looking game. Very classy.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

jivjov posted:

There's always Chicken Caesar!

...it's not that great a game, but it is amusing backstabbing people playing as chickens.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

jivjov posted:

COIN Gallic War this year!

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

StashAugustine posted:

Gallic War has been pushed back for additional playtesting and tweaking, and has been removed from the production schedule for now. Liberty or Death is the next COIN game, and Gallic War might not see print until next year.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I really like Trajan, if you are into worker placement euros you might like this one. Of course like any euro, the theme is mostly cosmetic but it is a great looking game. Very classy.

I was going to recommend Trajan. I'll also put the oar in for Sylla, as it's available fairly cheaply and has the unusual theme of being corrupt as all hell. You're literally buying public favour with bread and circuses, bribing the Senate and ignoring major public disasters if they don't give you enough reward for helping, all the while watching naked dancing girls at the orgy.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Oh my goodness. The big turnoff of the COIN games for me was that I don't know anything about the conflicts they represent. This could be my gateway to them, since I actually know things about this one. I'm happy to wait for it to appear.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The more I play Sellswords, the more I like it, but the more it frustrates me. The rules really, really need to be written better, and the abilities need better clarification. There've been so many questions that some explanations and some examples or even a more rigorous FAQ would have been great for. I really wish the game had come with an actual rulebook instead of a fold up map because drat, the "full explanation" of abilities really need to be fuller. The game is fine mechanically (barring some balance issues with regards to going first vs. second), but missing that fundamental accessibility of clear, coherent rules and explanations is killing it for me.

On the topic of Rome games, Mare Nostrum is coming back in print. I'm not sure how much I'd like the game post-Kemet, but I remember it was a fun Civ-ish game.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

GrandpaPants posted:

The more I play Sellswords, the more I like it, but the more it frustrates me. The rules really, really need to be written better, and the abilities need better clarification. There've been so many questions that some explanations and some examples or even a more rigorous FAQ would have been great for. I really wish the game had come with an actual rulebook instead of a fold up map because drat, the "full explanation" of abilities really need to be fuller. The game is fine mechanically (barring some balance issues with regards to going first vs. second), but missing that fundamental accessibility of clear, coherent rules and explanations is killing it for me.

This is sort of a consistent problem with Talton and Level 99. His games range from decent to excellent--BattleCON is the second-best money I've spent on this hobby after Dominion. But christ, his rulebooks are pathetically bad/unclear, and the card templating is all over the place. (You can induce an immediate headache in most BattleCON players by asking a rules question about the "Pulse" special action.)

Next time he does a kickstarter, I really hope one of the stretch goals is "hire a loving technical writer."

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Sloober posted:

You have to inform people that unpurchased pets go off to live at the farm happily for the rest of their days. (As you slide another meat cube into the available pool at the market)

Or (for Stareplant) plant cube. Or (for Baby Golem) gold token. There is no thematic reason for this rule.

I love the Dungeon petz rulebook. Especially the fact that all the important rule points are in bold red text, including, 'if you let a pet die you must feel guilty'.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Gutter Owl posted:

(You can induce an immediate headache in most BattleCON players by asking a rules question about the "Pulse" special action.)

Trigger warning that poo poo, ugh :negative:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Zveroboy posted:

Catan, Pandemic and more recently Splendor have shattered that image of board games my parents had. I got home last night after my gaming evening at the pub to find my parents had played 3 games of Splendor in a row, we spent 30 minutes discussed strategy.

Dominion/Avalon did likewise with my family/extend family at Xmas. Although to be fair my dad loves loving boardgames, he just wasn't aware of the whole designer thing. Waterdeep, Love Letter, and Space Alert (!) have also gone over very well with newish boardgamers.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

thespaceinvader posted:

Or (for Stareplant) plant cube. Or (for Baby Golem) gold token. There is no thematic reason for this rule.

I love the Dungeon petz rulebook. Especially the fact that all the important rule points are in bold red text, including, 'if you let a pet die you must feel guilty'.
I love Dungeon Petz but I sometimes worry about the theme because sometimes it is explicitly the best option to make your pets suffer in order to gain more points. I think this is the reason Lorini (iirc) doesn't like it and why my SO also kind of dislikes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
edit: wrong thread

Whenever my group talks about Times Board Games Went Too Far, they talk about when someone blocked a purchase in Dungeon Petz and the Ghost Puppy left the market for greener pastures.